PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Health, Fitness & Nutrition

Health, Fitness & Nutrition MTB and the Human Machine

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines

Old 10-20-2008, 09:00 PM

Default Sports Drink Recipes

Sports Drink Recipes

It is very important to replace lost salts and water when excercising. Anytime you excercise for more than an hour, think of drinking a salt-replacement sports drink in addition to water.

Sugar and salt help you absorb and retain the water to prevent dehydration, as well as replenish the salt to prevent hyponatremia (low blood sodium), both of which conditions can send you to the hospital on a long hot walk. The goal is up to 7% sugar concentration (glucose or sucrose are preferred) and salt of 1-2 grams per liter. Higher sugar content, above 8%, may actually slow water absorption.

Cost: Here is where the big savings come in, a whopping savings over what you will pay for a bottle of Gatorade or Powerade at the store.

Basic Sports Drink
• 1 quart (32 oz) or 1 liter water
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon table salt
• Flavoring to taste - orange juice, lemon juice, etc.
Keep refrigerated.

20-Oz. Sports Bottle's Worth of Sports Drink
• 3 tablespoons table sugar
• 1/8 teaspoon table salt
• Flavoring to taste - orange juice, lemon juice, unsweetened Kool-Aid or Wyler's drink mix, etc. Suggest trying 2-3 tablespoons of juice or 1/3 packet of unsweetened Kool-Aid.
• Fill halfway with water, mix well.
• Top off with water.
Keep refrigerated.

Your Own Powdered Sports Drink
I like to take along sports drink powder and mix it up with water from a water fountain, etc. when out on my long walks, after drinking my first sports bottle of plain water.
• 9 tablespoons table sugar
• 3/8 teaspoon table salt
• 1 packet unsweetened Kool-Aid or other drink mix.
Mix dry.
Portion 1/3 of the mixture into each of three ziplock bags.
To reconstitute, add contents of 1 bag to a 20-oz. sports bottle. Fill halfway with water, mix, and fill with water, mix again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow these simple guidelines of what to eat before, during and after you perform, compete, or just excersice.

What to Eat and When

Before
Eat high carbohydrate foods like bread, pasta, whole grains, vegetables, and fruits. Carbohydrates are digested quickly and provide glucose to the muscles. Stay away from dairy products and too much protein like greasy hamburgers, pizza, ice cream, and cheese. Avoid soda pop and candy bars. They can give you a quick burst of energy, but it will drop quickly, leaving you feeling spent.
Timing your meal from 1 to 4 hours before strenuous activity will help keep plenty of blood glucose available for your muscles.
It is also important to drink plenty of water to keep your muscles hydrated.

During
Drink plenty of water. Exertion and perspiration deplete your body of fluids and can lead to dehydration. It is recommended you drink at least a half of cup of water for every twenty minutes of exercise or strenuous activity.
If your activity is hard and continuous, over 90 minutes, drink a sports beverage or a drink with sugar added.

After
This is the time to eat protein to replenish what you lost during your physical activity, but don't overdo it. Remember protein can not only come from meats but is also present in dairy products and eggs.
Replace carbohydrates if your activity was long and exerting.
Replace any potassium or sodium that has been lost during competition or training by eating fruits, vegetables and salty foods.
Continue to replace fluids.

Knowing what foods your body needs for energy will payoff in your athletic accomplishments. Eat smart and you'll perform better.

Links
Old 10-20-2008, 09:17 PM
All-Mountain

thanks a lot ma'am for very informative tips. will definitely help a lot of us here!

my favorite baon during rides, lalo na pag malayo at mahabang padyakan are bananas, aside from lots of water into my hydration bag, and a combo of gatorade & water in my bottle.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:08 PM
Downhiller

Default Making your own Sports drink

Sports drinks is a multi-billion dollar industry. Pero tubong lugaw ito. These companies are milking you to the bone. In truth for every P1.00 you spend on one, it probably cost only P0.10 to make one!

If you want substitute them or make your own. Basically, you need only:

- 16 oz or about 500ml of water
- 2 tablespoon of honey
- a pinch of salt
- lemon, calamansi just for flavoring.
- use some coloring if you want, but just a drop or 2.

If you don't believe me, watch this video:

http://www.runnersworld.com/nutritio...-your-own-fuel

So, when you pay P25-40 pesos for that sports drink, think how much you are making those companies very, very rich!

The video also shows you how bagels, raisins can substitute for your energy bars/gels.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:14 PM
All-Mountain

Default Re: Making your own Sports drink

Nice read... magawa nga to minsan... madalas ko kasing gamiting drinks is powdered juice... ^_^

Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 PM
All-Mountain

Default Re: Sports Drink Recipes

nice..ginagawa ko to pag may available na pure honey sa amin, mas maganda kaysa dun sa mga nabibili sa grocery..i just mix 10% of honey sa tubig..ok na..minsan naglalagay din ako ng Hydrite sa tubig on whole day ride..

na-suggest din sakin ng 1 member ng CPB (nalimutan ko na name ni sir eh..hehe), na pigaan ng calamansi ang tubig, di lang para sa flavoring, nalimutan ko na kung bakit..hehe..at meron din siya dalang pure honey na nakalagay sa maliit na bote, for extra energy..

Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 PM
All-Mountain

nice... may mga kool aid pa sa duty free pwede makabili ng malaking bote mura pa kaya lang ang tapang ng kulay...

Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caterpillar View Post
Sports drinks is a multi-billion dollar industry. Pero tubong lugaw ito. These companies are milking you to the bone. In truth for every P1.00 you spend on one, it probably cost only P0.10 to make one!

- 2 tablespoon of honey
- a pinch of salt

So, when you pay P25-40 pesos for that sports drink, think how much you are making those companies very, very rich!

The video also shows you how bagels, raisins can substitute for your energy bars/gels.
Tama ka jan ser. P7 na Biko lang at P5 na buko juice naka 10 km pa ako na akala ko wala nang ipapadyak.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post
Tama ka jan ser. P7 na Biko lang at P5 na buko juice naka 10 km pa ako na akala ko wala nang ipapadyak.
Sa totoo lang, bilib ako sa Buko juice power. Di ko lang alam ang composition nito, pero I'm sure it's good kasi, napapawi ang uhaw at parang dagdag lakas ito. Siguro may carbs or some basic sugars din ito na mabuti sa katawan.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Freeride

check this out

http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/coconut-water.html

Old 02-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Downhiller

Quote:

- 2 tablespoon of honey
- a pinch of salt

Nagulat ako sa nutritional make up ng honey. 93% Carbohydrates! Pag may naligaw na nagbebenta ng pulot dito papakyawin ko na mga bote niya. Yung dati naming suki ng wild honey namatay na yata sa Ondoy eh, hindi na dumadaan dito pagkatapos ng Ondoy.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Single-Speeder

Quote:

- 2 tablespoon of honey
- a pinch of salt

ang galing
if you take out the water and substitute tequila and ice , you get a Margarita!
an even better option

Old 02-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Nagulat ako sa nutritional make up ng honey. 93% Carbohydrates! Pag may naligaw na nagbebenta ng pulot dito papakyawin ko na mga bote niya. Yung dati naming suki ng wild honey namatay na yata sa Ondoy eh, hindi na dumadaan dito pagkatapos ng Ondoy.
Honey is the perfect energy source that is natural (as long as you don't add or over process it). It has a good blend of sucrose and fructose. I forgot the percentage, but it gets you going with one type of sugar within 5 min, while the other is a slower hit that should tide you over for the next 30-40 min.

Some gels cost P75/pack. And yet here is honey and is pack full of energy that is expensive per bottle, but in reality it is cheap because you really need just 2 tablespoon to get the same energy boost. If you experiment, you may skip the 500ml + 2 TB of honey, + a pinch of salt. You can probably take the honey in much less diluted form if your body can handle it. In that way, you don't have to drink the entire 500ml of water.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:30 PM
All-Mountain

Masubukan nga ito. Ang mahal ng gatorade...

Old 02-02-2013, 01:26 AM
Downhiller

Quote:
Honey is the perfect energy source that is natural (as long as you don't add or over process it). It has a good blend of sucrose and fructose. I forgot the percentage, but it gets you going with one type of sugar within 5 min, while the other is a slower hit that should tide you over for the next 30-40 min.

Some gels cost P75/pack. And yet here is honey and is pack full of energy that is expensive per bottle, but in reality it is cheap because you really need just 2 tablespoon to get the same energy boost. If you experiment, you may skip the 500ml + 2 TB of honey, + a pinch of salt. You can probably take the honey in much less diluted form if your body can handle it. In that way, you don't have to drink the entire 500ml of water.
Tried out a new recipe on tonight's ride...wild honey sandwich. Two pieces white bread slathered with 2 tbsps of wild honey from Tanay.

Result:
I don't know if it's a placebo effect but I went 32 kms and did not feel dead tired at the end. I normally do 23 - 25 kms on a weekday on my more efficient hardtail but tonight I went 32 kms on my dual.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Bike Commuter

Try muesli mix, nuts, honey and brown sugar, with a bit of cinnamon. Sarap na trail bar, very light and convenient, lalo na kapag nasa maliit na sealable sandwich bags.

Back to topic, series of articles on dehydration and sports drinks http://www.sportsscientists.com/sear...el/dehydration

Old 02-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Downhiller

Quote:
Tried out a new recipe on tonight's ride...wild honey sandwich. Two pieces white bread slathered with 2 tbsps of wild honey from Tanay.

Result:
I don't know if it's a placebo effect but I went 32 kms and did not feel dead tired at the end. I normally do 23 - 25 kms on a weekday on my more efficient hardtail but tonight I went 32 kms on my dual.
It's very hard to get a placebo effect if your blood stream is really tapped out of glycogen. No way around that unless you get it by ingesting something like honey. Most likely you did get the energy from your honey sandwitch.

Also, I would like to mention here that people don't substitute sugar for the honey. They are different and sugars, especially the white one, is overly processed. Sure, it will give you a short rush, but after 20min or so, you slowly go crashing again, and another boost. That see-saw ride is not good.

Honey has both short duration boost and a longer "release" energy source that very few ingredients can duplicate.

Personally, I think bananas are also a good source of both energy and trace minerals. But they are big and may take time to digest. I think honey and raisins are the most practical to take and carry.

I also don't like the other ingredients of these sports drinks. I think, some of them even have some ingredients that is similar if not the same as your car's anti-freeze/coolant. Another has some ingredients that is harmful to you. In fact, a girl petitioned Gatorade to remove this ingredient which is band in Japan and in Europe but is not in the USA.

Bottom line is, it's really simple. And the best solutions are still the simplest. Not only are they simple, they are usually the best, the healthiest, and the cheapest. These companies are making it sound as if you will perform better with their products or if you don't take them you will be dehydrated, or suffer exercise related injuries/problems.

I would recommend for all to just make your own and not support these companies. Make them in batches of 1L or even a gallon, and separate them into smaller bottles, so there is less contamination and it is easier to just grab a bottle for you to use. A bottle of honey is about P150 in the supermarket. I don't go for those Honebees or USA brand. I go local. In our province, even, you can even see some twigs and some leaves. You know that they are hardly processed. Just remove them if you must. Even a bottle of honey, at 2TB per use, will last a long time and make gallons of sports drinks for you. And the salt, well, it's just a pinch, so the cost is basically nill.

I am thinking of mashing or putting a small amount of raisins in a blender or squeeze out the juice and mix it to the honey-water-salt concoction. That should make it almost complete. Of course, there's always no harm in just popping in the raisins, but it's just a thought in case, one would want it all in liquid form.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:50 PM
All-Mountain

this getting interesting! dami ko natututunan... Dati saging lang go na
So pede pala ako gumawa ng 2 table spoon ng honey sa small plastic pouch and I can munch it like yung lalagyanan ng ketchup sa jollibee. hehehe Idea lang ha,

Old 02-04-2013, 07:13 AM
Bike Fanatic

Ton2xx : Meron din squeezable plastic bottles in places like Saizen or the other Japanese shops. Baka meron na bagay para sa honey. Better nga mga locally harvested honey. I read somewhere that the really commercial brands like SueBee are just full on sugar and honey flavoring -- not actual honey for the most part.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Downhiller

If the commercially available honey solidifies inside the ref and you have to "thaw" it then it's not pure honey. Yung nag ra-ration ng wild honey sa amin nasa balde yung mga bote na may mga actual honeycombs still with some honey and a random drunk bee or two. He gives us the honeycomb for free. P100 per lapad bottle.

Tanong ko lang, if you take too much honey (btw, how much is too much honey?) is it going to convert into fat? Note: Seriously there are a lot of conflicting articles in the web about this...

Pro: http://www.iamnotobese.com/honey-fattening.php

Con: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...natural.html#b

Livestrong: http://www.livestrong.com/article/52...ney-fattening/

Old 02-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMI View Post
Ton2xx : Meron din squeezable plastic bottles in places like Saizen or the other Japanese shops. Baka meron na bagay para sa honey. Better nga mga locally harvested honey. I read somewhere that the really commercial brands like SueBee are just full on sugar and honey flavoring -- not actual honey for the most part.
Exatamento!

This is what we did 2-3 years ago. There are 60ml to 100ml bottles with flip on caps you can buy in Jap stores. If you run, you can carry your energy drink with you (a bit concentrated). If you bike it probably won't matter as you can use your water bottle or carry it in your jersey back pocket.

Yes, I don't buy imported ones. The local ones ok. At least, the ones from Palawan sold at supermarkets seem good if you don't have access to the local honey producing farms.

Quote:
If the commercially available honey solidifies inside the ref and you have to "thaw" it then it's not pure honey. Yung nag ra-ration ng wild honey sa amin nasa balde yung mga bote na may mga actual honeycombs still with some honey and a random drunk bee or two. He gives us the honeycomb for free. P100 per lapad bottle.

Tanong ko lang, if you take too much honey (btw, how much is too much honey?) is it going to convert into fat? Note: Seriously there are a lot of conflicting articles in the web about this...

Pro: http://www.iamnotobese.com/honey-fattening.php

Con: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...natural.html#b

Livestrong: http://www.livestrong.com/article/52...ney-fattening/
Didn't read the site you linked, but IMO, since honey is still some unprocessed sugars (sucrose-fructose-maltose, etc), I see no reason why they would not turn into fat if you overtake them.

However, since most in these fora are active cyclist, the chances of that happening is a bit low as they would probably be consuming them in the process of exercise.

Links