PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > Other Parts and Accessories

Notices

Other Parts and Accessories Tech info/help for: Headset, Handlebar, Handle Post, Grips
Hydration bags, Lighting Products, Cyclo-computer, SPDs, Clipless
and other Accessories and parts not found on other categories.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 09-02-2009, 12:20 PM

Default Re: MTB shoes w/o cleats

back in my BMX days we raced with Vans because of their sticky soles. the other thing you need to do when riding without cleats is to use the middle of your foot, not the ball.

in addition, we also filed our pedals until they were very sharp and would dig into our Vans. sharp pedals will also dig into your shin.

MTB shoes have a very stiff sole and are not as useful with flat pedals, they are designed to be used with cleats and clipless pedals.

If you ride too long without cleats, it will make the transition that much harder.
Links
Old 09-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Cross-country

my suggestion, Shimano DX...may version na pwedeng lagyan ng cleats, yung isa wala...around 2-3k...

or Vans na japeks...around 500-600 pesos...Pjax, my biking buddy uses it lalo na sa DH, so far, ok pa naman.:thumbsup: asteeg pa, yeah!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 PM

Ako naman Merrell and Sketchers Hiking Shoes, Flat pedals ko but both shoes bite the pedal pretty well naman. :)
Old 09-03-2009, 01:30 AM

Salamat sa pag reply mga kuyang, I decided to get the North Face Hedgehog. Really comfy and it really sticks to the pedals! Keeps your feet dry. I haven't tried it on the mountains yet but so far it has kept its grip in light mud and rainy situations. :thumbsup:
Old 09-05-2009, 02:20 AM
Lurker

Default Re: Bike Shoes

mga sir,

tanong ko lang kung may nakagamit na rin nitong sandugo outdoor shoes for MTB?

Links
Old 09-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Bike Commuter

Question Re: recommended shoes and flat pedal

ok po ba MOB platform pedals???
Old 09-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Downhiller

Default Re: recommended shoes and flat pedal

@vios: ok lang kung yung tipong pang-village or commute. have tried it before, not recommended kung pang trail, madulas.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:42 AM
All-Mountain

@anthrax
may kamahalan din po pala.. Ah so yung sizes pala ng mahirap hanapan.. Thanks sa info sir..

@pjax
sir about dun sa pang platform pedal lang na DX, siguro naman mas mura sa yan kesa pang dual purpose na DX... nasa magkanu po ung pang platform lang? thanks..
Old 09-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Lurker

what about this new sandugo shoes? may nakagamit na ba nito as mtb shoes? thanks!

Old 09-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Lurker

1,799 yan sir, sa mga sports shops like toby's and olympic village....

available sya in 3 different colors.. blue, black and brown...
Old 09-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Lurker

Smile Re: recommended shoes and flat pedal

Mga sir

have you seen this in our LBS?

Shimano Shoes Fit Mens FN22
Old 09-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Bike Commuter

Question Re: recommended shoes and flat pedal

ano ok sa performance na flat pedal? planning to buy kasi... salamat
Old 09-06-2009, 08:27 PM

Got these on sale, for less than 2.5k, orig price is around 4k++. Sofar so good. Very light, and grips really well.. It gets the job done too, especially when you need to carry your bike uphill or downhill coz the trail becomes unrideable, and you need to walk those muddy trails and slippery rocks. :)

Voted Best All-Around Boot for 2009 by Backpacker Magazine.

The LAFUMA X LIGHT MID OT BOOT

Here's a review here:

http://www.backpacker.com/gear_guide...iew/gear/12970
Old 09-06-2009, 09:33 PM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by buloy1015 View Post
what about this new sandugo shoes? may nakagamit na ba nito as mtb shoes? thanks!

ok to a.. kamukha nung type kong Salomon Speed Comp...

http://www.salomonsports.com/cn/#/fo...peed-comp20092

Last edited by sylar; 09-06-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: info
Old 09-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Gran Trail Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by buloy1015 View Post

Yan ang gamit ko pre.. GTS pedal ang gamit ko, makapit sya.. pangmountaineering yang sapatos na yan.. 10% discount sa megamall.. ilang beses ko na ring ginamit sa mga wet rides.. hindi pa naman sya nabigay.. maganda yung dikit..
Old 09-07-2009, 09:47 PM

I'm also using platform pedals, as for me, I wear shoes depending on the road/ weather condition:

Vans TNT4 - if puro road lang ang route & sunny ang weather. dumudulas kasi pag basa..but otherwise, good grip sa pedals because of the gum soles.

Salomon XA PRO 3D Ultra - kapag muddy trails, saktong sakto if kailangan mo mag-dismount, maganda ang grip sa earth/ clay/ loose soil..so you won't slide downhill.

Want to try the Sandugo Tootega, mukhang maganda gamitin pang-ulan/ putik/ pang-harabas..mura pa..:thumbsup:
Old 09-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Lurker

Ako bumuli ako ng Columbia Hydratooth, kasi may pang-drain ng tubig (baha at ulan), mahilig kasi ako mag-bike sa ulan. Yung toe is stiff enough for toe clips and may makakapitan yung pins. So far, ayus naman yung performance, saka medyo magaan.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Global Moderator

sir, one thing you can check with platform pedals is if it has sharp edges or parts that can cut your skin specially if your foot slips. i'm using an XPEDO pedal and i find that the bolts are actually sharp (siguro for gripping the soles). i haven't cut myself from foot slipping, pero from walking my bike while the pedal is positioned against the shin.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Single-Speeder

what i don't recommend is running shoes. yumaman na sa akin ang mr. quickie sa pagpapadikit ng soles.

i have seen friends using shimano shoes without the cleats attached. at the very least, you know they are made for biking with stiff enough soles to transfer power to the pedals. in pmtb rides, maraming naka merrel but the ones i own medyo flimsy and soft, although it's holding out well so far after a few months.

recently, i bought hitec pair sa ROX intended for heavy trail use after seeing a couple of like-riding styled individuals in mckinley. as the brand is used by mountaineers and looks quite sturdy, i have a feeling i found my biking shoe that would last long enough and take some abuse. the soles are quite flat and stiff too, yet doesn't look like a typical cleated shoe.

on pedals, there are too numerous to choose from. if u can find shimano dx platform pedals, let me know. i'm also interested in this nearly indestructible model. a bro and few friends have been using the same ones from their bmx days. i'm using xpedo mx-b at the moment, chosen for their likeness in shape and strong looks while being lightweight at the same time. i think the lightness is due to the magnesium material.

if you're on a budget, wellgo pedals seem to be the way to go. simple bmx type rat trap pedals work well on my hardtail too. i'm sure it's not an expensive brand and model as it came with the stock, 2nd hand, entry level khs alite i bought in korea. i don't even know what brand it is but it certainly lasted a very long time. the previous owner and i obviously abused it since 2003 or 04 but it's holding up well so far.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:37 PM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisteen2003 View Post
if you really want spiked shoes then go for merrel or north face as they are really made for mountains and its grippy too.
I find this strange... are you hiking or biking? =p
IMO, the flat, gummy soles of skate-style shoes offer the best grip for flat pedals. Any semblance of lugs (or what others improperly call "spikes") reduces the sole's surface area for the pedal's pins to grip on to. That's the reason why BMX/skate shoes are designed as such.

Of course those are pretty much useless if you plan to do any significant walking on the trails you plan to ride. But, as I said above, if you plan to walk any significant amount on your "rides", consider shifting to another sport ;-)

Another issue that isn't being raised here is sole stiffness. Bike shoes are stiff for a reason: efficient power transfer. If you've never used bike-specific shoes, I recommend trying out a friend's. You'd be amazed at how much power you're losing using regular running or light hiking or whatever-other-type shoes. That's the reason why BMX shoes, while having soft, gummy outsoles, still have stiff midsoles.

That said, I myself want the FiveTen Impact 2 Low. Now if only they were available locally... =(
Links

Tags
cleatless, mtb, newbie, shoes