PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Health, Fitness & Nutrition

Health, Fitness & Nutrition MTB and the Human Machine

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano

Old 02-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Bike Commuter

Crying Thumb Pain

I started biking a month ago, after my first long ride which I think was around 80 km. in Antenna, Binangonan. Until now I'm having this thumb pain.

Ang usual hawak ko sa handlebar is yung normal na hawak. Yung thumb naka wrap under the grips tapos then my pointing and index finger nakaalalay sa brakes tapos rest nakagrip sa grips.

The problem is that my thumbs hurt kapag patutunugin ko. Yung parang i-istretch inwards. Hindi ko na magawa, pero noong hindi pa ako nag b-bike nagagawa ko ito. Pero hindi naman ako nabobother sa grip ko sa ibang bagay, yung pag iistretch lang talaga.

Am I the only one who has this problem? or mali ang hawak ko sa handle bar?

isama ko na rin ito, mejo pinang tukod ko kasi kamay ko nung sumemplang ako, okay naman sya, hindi namamaga pero 2 days na mejo masakit kapag lalagyan ng pressure like doing push up, similar ata sya sa thumb?

Thanks in Advance.

Links
Old 02-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Downhiller

Default Re: Thumb Pain

since base sa statement nyo nagsimula yan ng nagsimula kayo mag bike.....
it might be because of your cockpit is not in a good position... baka na i-stress yung hands nyo dahil sa maling positioning ng inyong brake levers and shifters....

eto meron dito tutorial kung sakaling tama ang hinala ko...
Quote:
from a source in the internet
Adjusting brake lever and shifter position

You need: tools to loosen brake levers and shifters.

If you have a riser handlebar, you should have adjusted the handlebar rotation while you were setting the handlebar height.

Loosen the brake levers and shifters. Get on the trainer. While pedaling on the bike in a sitting position, put your hands into a natural-feeling spot on the grips. It should be your "climbing and aggressive riding" hand position, not a "looking around at the scenery" position.

Adjust your wrist alignment to neutral. Imagine a straight line going from the middle of your elbow directly through the middle of the wrist and out through the space between thumb and index finger. This line should continue through the middle of the handlebar.

With the wrist neutral, a straight line passes from the middle
of the elbow through the middle of the wrist and middle of
the grip. Move the brake lever so the finger falls over it while
the wrist stays in this position.

While lightly holding the grip, raise your index finger and middle fingers in a slightly-curved position. Now, without moving your hand or fingers, move the brake lever so the "sweet spot" of the lever falls under the outer knuckles of the fingers. The lever should feel secure within the groove in the knuckle as you pull it.

If you usually ride with thick padded gloves, adjust the lever position while wearing those gloves!

Adjust the starting position of the lever so you don't have to stretch to get hold of it. The best start position depends on your finger length, the thickness of the tissue in your palm, and the thickness of your grips. If the lever seems too far away and can't be adjusted inward, install thinner grips. A smaller-diameter grip lets you extend your finger further toward the lever.

Sweet spot for brake and shifters. The fingers and thumb
can engage any control without moving the hand and wrist. You should NOT have to move the outside of your palm or the little finger as index finger and thumb move from brake to shifter and back again

Once you've got the brake lever positioned, relax your fingers off the brake, while keeping the hand in the same spot on the grips. Slide the shifters into the position that lets you make upshifts and downshifts with the least amount of hand and finger motion.

The most common fitting mistake here? Many riders assume the mounting rings for brake and shifter HAVE to touch each other. Just like it came from the factory. Nonsense. Slide it, twist it, until the shift paddles naturally fall under your thumb. And index finger, depending on what type of shifters you have.
eto pa

Quote:
from another reliable source in the internet

When you consider how important it is to have full control of your bike when riding off-road, itís astonishing how little notice we pay to the positioning and setup of our cockpit area and controls.

Most people choose a bike at the bike shop, let the workshop mechanic set it up and then go on to ride the bike as is, with no consideration as to whether it actually fits, is set up for maximum comfort and delivers the most control possible. Itís not only rider safety thatís at stake, your comfort is too Ė stiff neck and shoulder muscles are usually caused by incorrectly set up handlebar controls.

Tell-tale signs of badly set up cockpits are poorly positioned bars, badly adjusted stem faceplates, wonky stems, brake lever clamps butted up to the grips, brake levers set too low and gear levers that canít be reached or are in the way of the brakes.

Take a minute to minesweep your cockpit and check you arenít harbouring a handlebar hazard. Itíll only take a minute to fix and will boost your control, enjoyment and street cred, not to mention your safety.

continue reading....
eto pa...

Quote:
from another reliable source

The roll of the handlebars.
To keep your arms and wrists comfortable your handlebars and specifically your brake levers should be pointing down at an approximate 45 degree angle. If adjusted make sure all the bolts are done up tighly to ensure that nothing comes loose!

Note the levers are straight, this will cause sore wrists

Having the levers at approx 45 degrees make for a comfy ride
now, regarding naman dun sa nararamdaman nyo sa palad nyo, since galing kayo sa semplang, i-rest nyo na lang muna, kahit hindi yan namamaga, there might be some naipit na ugat, at kung tama ang hinala ko na bad positioned ang cockpit nyo, baka kasama na rin yung dahilan na iyon...

ride safe always... nga pala, sa experience ko, its not good na itukod mo ang iyong palad pag sumemplang ka, as much as possible kung sakaling dumating ulit ang ganung pagkakataon, try to roll with your body..... kumbaga kung saan ang direction ng semplang, sumabay ka na alng at una mong ilanding ang iyong bisig....

Old 02-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Single-Speeder

+1 to what johnbalos said..

if pain persists, consult your doctor hehe..

Bikers, Brothers we ride as Brothers!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Bike Commuter

thank you po sir sa tips, nice read po. Try ko na lang po i adjust yung cockpit ko baka nga po mali yung fit sa akin ng bike ko.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Downhiller

baka po plus size yung frame na gamit nyo, tapos mahaba din yung stem....

Old 02-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Cross-country

mag take ka din ng vitamin b complex, makakatulong din ito, at try mo muna mag bike pero wag ganun kalayo para di ka manibago

Links