PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Health, Fitness & Nutrition

Health, Fitness & Nutrition MTB and the Human Machine

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store MT Pro Bikes Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports ISOLINK Mtb Suspension System Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano Business Venture 888 - 12 O'Clock Bike Components Parts and Accessories.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:03 AM
All-Mountain

Default Are sports drink better than water?

Are sports drinks better than water?

By Sarah B. Weir
http://shine.yahoo.com/event/summerl...water-2491593/

Are sports drinks better than water? The beverage industry would like you to think so. According to Beverage Digest, PepsiCo (the maker of Gatorade), the Coca-Cola Company (the maker of Powerade), and others made about 7 billion dollars in 2010 promoting the idea that to prevent dehydration and optimize performance, you need to guzzle their products.

However, unless you are a high-intensity athlete, water is still the best option, without the cost or calories.

Although sports drinks are marketed to the general population, they do not offer added health benefits to sedentary adults or even moderate exercisers but do provide unnecessary amounts of sugar, sodium, and artificial flavorings and preservatives.

A 20-ounce bottle of Powerade is about 150 calories and contains 38 grams of sugar. Responding to America's obesity epidemic, the Center for Disease Control recommends against using drinks with added sugar for purposes of hydration.
With children, use sports drinks with caution

A clinical report published on May 30, 2011, by the American Academy of Pediatrics advises against children drinking sports drinks unless they are participating in prolonged athletic competitions and suggests that even then, the consumption of sports drinks should be carefully managed.

According to the report, the popularity of sports drinks is chipping away at healthier patterns of beverage consumption (such as drinking water or low fat milk) and contributing to childhood overweight and obesity. The citric acid contained in these beverages also causes dental erosion.

Another issue the researchers point out is that most children and teens do not recognize the difference between sports drinks and energy drinks and use them interchangeably. Energy drinks are unregulated by the FDA and contain high amounts of caffeine as well as amino acids and herbs with uncertain health risks and should never be consumed by kids.
For endurance athletes, sports drinks may help

Most sports drinks contain a combination of water, carbohydrates in the form of sucrose or high-fructose corn syrup and electrolytes such as sodium, potassium, and magnesium.

According to the American College of Sports Medicine, athletes who are performing high-intensity, endurance sports for more than 60-90 minutes, especially in hot weather, may experience an improvement in performance after drinking a sports drink.

Carbohydrates can help prevent fatigue by boosting blood sugar levels and replacing glycogen stores in muscles.

Electrolytes carry electrical impulses through the tissues of the body and are important for maintaining proper fluid levels and muscle function. The average person consumes all the electrolytes they need through their daily diet, however some can be lost during excessive sweating.
Try healthy sports drink alternatives

While water is the best choice when you are thirsty or after light-moderate exercise, when you want something with a little extra flavor, there are some natural alternatives that are healthy and taste delicious.

Herbal iced tea: Steeped herbal iced tea makes a pleasing alternative to plain water. Just avoid caffeine and herbs that are diuretic. Mint and verbena are safe, tasty choices that don't require a lot of sweetener.

Low fat milk: 1% or skimmed milk contains the right balance of protein and carbs to help muscles rebuild after vigorous exercise.

Coconut water: The juice from inside young coconuts is high in potassium, antioxidants, and other minerals and is a refreshing non-fat drink. It contains about half the calories of the average commercial sports drink.

Fruit: The American College of Sports Medicine recommends eating fruit to refuel muscles after exercising. A quarter cup of dried fruit or 2-3 pieces of fruit such as apples or oranges will help replace glycogen stores.

Watermelon, honeydew melon, and stone fruits such as peaches and plums contain lots of water for hydration as well as healthy, natural fruit sugars for energy.

Bananas are high in potassium, a key electrolyte, and a good source of carbohydrates.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:27 AM
All-Mountain

Default Re: Are sports drink better than water?

nothing beats water. when on an epic ride just bring salt, sugar, and banana

sa 250 ml water ihalo ang 1 tbs of sugar and i pinch of salt. yung banana eat mo na lang. para ka nang nag hydrite

mas maganda pa to sa gatorade o powerade mura pa at magang dalhin.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Bike Fanatic

Ayon sa Cracked.com, you can make your own gatorade ...

"First, you take some Koolaid. Then put on a lead apron (we have to assume this stuff isn't safe in its raw form) and add some salt. Now stand back. You just made Gatorade!"

Read more: 7 High Tech Products And Their Cheap Ass Ingredients | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_17606...#ixzz1OYueXQbw

Old 06-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Downhiller

pwede ba litro pack na juice tapos asin? para may flavor naman...

Old 06-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Global Moderator

@mrbigger, timplahan mo na lang ng hydrite kesa pure salt

Old 06-09-2011, 04:53 PM

+1 ako hydrite nalang na powder lemon flavor 9php lang sa generics. mas tipid dati kasi puro gatorade hehe.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:08 PM
All-Mountain

pwede po ba i-hydrite ung buong bladder ko na 2 liters?

Old 06-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Bike Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumaBeam122 View Post
Kung sa puede puede but you'll need around eight tablets. Personally my hydration pack is exclusively for water in order to keep it germ free more easily. Any sugary or artificial funk can serve as fuel for bacterial growth. I carry a water bottle to mix my drinks in. I use the sugar free hydration tabs like ZYME and ZERO. I don't bring gatorade anymore. It worsens my thirst.

Personally I think hydrite tastes terrible. If I do use it I mix it with the aforementioned hydration tabs to give it a better taste. I carry a pack of honey stingers or hammer for emergency carbs.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:36 PM

pwede naman bro yung binibili ko kasi 1sachet / 250ml water. and dapat may cleaning kit ng bladder lalo na sa hose para mawala yung bacteria. nagiiba kasi amoy and taste ng bladder pag sinimulan lagyan ng powdered drinks.

ako naman sinasanay ko sarili ko sa water(dati kasing adik sa Gatorade hehe) umiinom lang ako ng hydrite pag hindi na talaga kaya or for emergency use pag nakakita na ako ng clouds.hehe

Old 06-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Freeride

Quote:
Pwede kaso di ba parang ang sama ng lasa tuwing iinom ka? Ako ang ginagawa ko, naka-separate na yung hydrite drink ko. Nasa water bottle ko sya. Tapos yung inumin ko talaga, nasa bladder ko naman.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Cross-country

Mga brod.. kapg nag ride ba kayo at nag stop over para sa konting pahinga at hintayan, umiinom kayo ng softdrinks?

May ka grupo kasi ako na pag may nakita siya na ka group na umiinom ng softdrinks lalo lang daw manghihina..

Old 07-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Bike Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yipiii View Post
Mga brod.. kapg nag ride ba kayo at nag stop over para sa konting pahinga at hintayan, umiinom kayo ng softdrinks?

May ka grupo kasi ako na pag may nakita siya na ka group na umiinom ng softdrinks lalo lang daw manghihina..

I drink softdrinks during rides only if they are my last option. I prefer water and a sugarfree electrolyte tablet. Sugar can give an initial boost of energy but they can also give you sugar "crash" when it wears off. Depende rin siguro sa tao and your fitness level. It may affect some and not others. I don't chug Gatorade anymore. It worsens my thirst. Probably due to the sugar also. Better to get your sugar from food rather than drinks to avoid the crash.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:00 PM

Thanks for sharing this! All the while I thought Gatorade was a good alternative for water.

Got to stay healthy!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Single-Speeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMI View Post
I drink softdrinks during rides only if they are my last option. I prefer water and a sugarfree electrolyte tablet. Sugar can give an initial boost of energy but they can also give you sugar "crash" when it wears off. Depende rin siguro sa tao and your fitness level. It may affect some and not others. I don't chug Gatorade anymore. It worsens my thirst. Probably due to the sugar also. Better to get your sugar from food rather than drinks to avoid the crash.
I read sa sports nutrition book ni chris carmichael that gatorade is SUPPOSED to make you thirsty , para you hydrate even more at walang tigil and presumably buy more gatorade hehe

Old 07-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doboltap View Post
I read sa sports nutrition book ni chris carmichael that gatorade is SUPPOSED to make you thirsty , para you hydrate even more at walang tigil and presumably buy more gatorade hehe
I think ok lang Gatorade as long as you still drink water with it, the electrolytes is really a big help specially in long rides. Drinking water without supplementing with electrolytes is also bad for our body, unfortunately the easiest way to get these are through these drinks. You may also use glucolyte or hydrite, I forgot their generic names. If you are not really worried about time fruits can also be used.

Links
Old 07-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Bike Fanatic

Quote:
I haven't read Carmichael's book, but to me, (no offense - anyway siya naman nag sabi) that's a ridiculous concept. But I get your drift. He He. You're not supposed to need outside help to make you feel thirsty. Your brain is already equipped to do that, and we've already learned that we should take in fluids regularly during intense exercise, so that idea is already outdated. We already know about the sugar rush and crash also. It all boils down to personal preference, I guess. Some people love Gatorade, some don't (not anymore anyway). Now that sugar free hydrating tablets (with added magnesium for cramps) are available, they have become my preferred method of hydration. I still bring food along for energy, of course.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Single-Speeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMI View Post
I haven't read Carmichael's book, but to me, (no offense - anyway siya naman nag sabi) that's a ridiculous concept. But I get your drift. He He. You're not supposed to need outside help to make you feel thirsty. Your brain is already equipped to do that, and we've already learned that we should take in fluids regularly during intense exercise, so that idea is already outdated. We already know about the sugar rush and crash also. It all boils down to personal preference, I guess. Some people love Gatorade, some don't (not anymore anyway). Now that sugar free hydrating tablets (with added magnesium for cramps) are available, they have become my preferred method of hydration. I still bring food along for energy, of course.

ginagamit ko gatorade only sa tris kasi it's easy to guesstimate the amount of carbs you take in per hour. A bottle of gatorade and a power gel an hour is great for me plus water
of course, nabasa ko lang sa libro ni pareng chris yan hehe
It works, I can still go to the office after a race

Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Bike Fanatic

Quote:
ginagamit ko gatorade only sa tris kasi it's easy to guesstimate the amount of carbs you take in per hour. A bottle of gatorade and a power gel an hour is great for me plus water
of course, nabasa ko lang sa libro ni pareng chris yan hehe
It works, I can still go to the office after a race
Yes, personal preference and experience is still the best. I'm not saying it's bad or we shouldn't drink it. My main point is that the general public shouldn't presume that since it's a sports drink, that it's healthy (as in, it's good for you). It's good if you're exercising intensively. Sugar containing sports drinks are just a more specifically designed, non-carbonated soft drink. It's a tool we should use to serve a certain purpose. Ang iba ginagamit na parang juice or tubig. When I use sports drinks, I always bring water also and I drink them alternately. Among traditional sports drinks, I prefer Powerade. Less likely ako to crash and my mouth doesn't feel as dry. As I previously stated, I now prefer sugar-free electrolyte sources if available. Kung kulang ang food or gel, siyempre I will still drink soft drinks or gatorade at the sari sari stores near the trails. It's all about informed choices.

Ride safe.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Bike Commuter

i only drink water when riding.. kasi sabi ng iba mas nakakapanghina lang kapag nawala yung effect nung energy drink

Old 07-27-2011, 06:01 PM
All-Mountain

gatorade/sodas/energy drinks/hydrite = before/after the ride at sa stops

water lang sa bottle. di nag-iiba lasa, hindi malagkit sa bibig at pwede ibuhos sa ulo pag mainit/laspag.

Links