PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > General MTBiking Discussion

Notices

General MTBiking Discussion If its about MTB but doesn't fit in the other boards.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 12-22-2012, 09:07 PM

Default options on rear rack for bikes?

I want to use my bike more often for errands, but lack carrying capacity. Sometimes a quick trip to the store on bike isn't possible because I can't carry everything on my bike.

What rack options for the rear (or front) of our bikes are readily available in the Philippines? Any info appreciated!
Links
Old 12-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: options on rear rack for bikes?

if you meant anything on these topics, i'll be locking this thread

http://pinoymtbiker.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13951

http://pinoymtbiker.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3026
Old 12-23-2012, 06:19 PM

Hi Anthrax,

You're right, those deal with the same topic, but the first thread doesn't provide any recent, in-stock, non-customized solutions. I can't find any solutions in any of the the bikeshops in my area or in cartimar. The solutions offered within the thread (other than the Surly racks at Bikezilla) are all custom (though located locally) and from the US, which doesn't really help with regard to my problem. What's also frustrating is that given when the thread was started, it will indicate what stores have something in stock with a follow-up that all the stock is now sold out.

The second thread is from over 4 years ago and does not have any recent information.
I want to support our LBS and get some information if anyone has seen rack solutions RECENTLY. Would be great if I could just ride to a shop where someone has seen a few racks and walk out with a perfectly fitted rack.

I see this quite a bit on other forums. One side of the coin is where someone poses a question with the intent of getting user feedback, and threads from previous years are referenced. Although this may be helpful in providing some historical data on what's available in the market, it doesn't provide any recent information on current availability and location.

The other side of the coin is when a non-recent thread receives a question, and posters are jumped on for "resurrecting" a "dead thread".

It looks like there is definitely a line that has to be followed to get help. What that line is can be interpreted differently, and I understand moderators help to define what that line is.

I apologize if my post causes a "redundant" thread, and if you prefer, I can just piggyback onto the first thread you linked if this causes less trouble. To be honest, I just need help finding a rack and I didn't think I was doing anything wrong given that there are 2 previous threads on this - leading me to believe that the more recent one should also have been merged with the first?

Please let me know how to proceed.

I appreciate your pointing out previous threads, and it would be great if you had any more recent feedback that could help. I noticed you were the TS of the second thread,
would be great if you could share if you found a rack solution that worked for you or any experiences on products you've personally tried.

Thanks again!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Global Moderator

err...okay, so what exactly do you need?

Topeak and MOB racks are pretty much available on bike shops that i frequent (JBL and Glorious Ride). they can both carry up to 10kg of load, both are seatpost mounted. they install via a quick release lever. pretty sturdy if you ask me. and they are not custom, you can get them out of the box.

there are no technological advances as to racks recently. so the content of the threads still hold. as to where to find racks....a quick call to...wait, where are you located? it might help regarding the location because i'm pretty sure there's a bike shop in cartimar or quiapo that has racks. they even carry racks for touring bikes (the ones with seatstay support).
Old 01-07-2013, 02:36 AM

Hi Anthrax,

First of all, happy new year!

Second, I've been out of the country and just got back so please forgive the lateness of my response. I was able to find a Topeak beamrack, but the 9Kg weight limit makes it a temporary solution as my groceries weigh more than that. It will be fine for a short trip, though.

With regard to my location, I tried most of the shops in/around Ortigas Center area (including Katipunan/Libis) and the only one in stock was the Surly Nice Rack (both front and rear). I also tried some shops in Cartimar as well as the ones on Pasong Tamo but no luck there either, hence my appeal on this thread

I haven't made a trip to Quiapo, so you're right, they probably would have a rack or two, so was wondering if anyone in PMTB viewing this may have seen or bought one recently.

With regard to seatstay support, there's an interesting problem I have. Some of my bikes have the rack thread/boss on the seatstay, others don't. However, they all have the rack/fender thread/boss at the chainstay dropout. Is there anywhere I can source a P-clamp to modify the seatstay support of a rack?

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:29 AM
Global Moderator

ooooh, no idea on that one. but if you want a higher capacity container, you can do any of the options below

1) get a touring bike. this might be difficult to source but there are available frame and fork just not too many options. what's good about touring bikes is they have provisions for fork and rear triangle loading. check out the image at wikipedia.

2) you could get a bike trailer. B.O.B. makes the best (http://www.bobgear.com/bike-trailers) but one of our members (inoy) has one fabricated locally. completely detachable (google: bike trailer). it can be mounted via seatpost or rear hub. you might want to PM him regarding the trailer.

oh and Happy New Year
Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 AM
Lurker

Hi Mods, may I know how I can get in touch with Inoy? I have a 5year old Kid with cerebral palsy, it would be great if I could get a trailer and let him ride with me. Thanks

Or do anybody know who's selling a 2nd hand, so it would be more affordable? Thanks.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Global Moderator

@YceJoaquin, you can drop him a private message, his handle is inoy.

here's his profile

http://pinoymtbiker.org/forum/member.php?u=454
Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 AM
All-Mountain

thanks for the plug Anthrax!

lsdbaby, you can source modified p-clamps from old dynamo lighting systems. just bend them to your desired diameter or if you need shims, use cut interior tubes. Otherwise, sourcing specific items for a particular frame will use up a lot of your time; sometimes with no solution.

you could also zip tie any form of sturdy basket to your handlebar or rack. a couple of these can handle well over 20 kilos.

YceJoaquin, i've seen canopied trailers (2nd hand) at HMR in Pasig and a surplus store in ATC (Alabang). They were being sold for 2.5k (Dec. 2012). Sana maabutan mo pa. the hitch is just a modified caster wheel you can get from any hardware store. Sure I can build you one if you wish, pero mas mura yung segunda mano, branded pa (if you're so inclined for such). would be glad to help you out with bringing your kid on bike.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Lurker

Thanks Mod Anthrax.

Inoy, I hope i could still get to HMR in time, as im rom Pangasinan. If it would be sold out by then, i would be trying the ATC surplus store. in any case, will be consulting with you, as i cannot afford to buy the brand new ones, and i really want my son to enjoy the outdoors, even with his condition. Thank you for the offer to have my son ride with me.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:37 AM

Default Rear bicycle rack for 26" MTB

Good Day mga fellow bikers.. ask ko lang po kung san nakakabili ng rear bike rack dito pinas.. eto po yung link http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/al...ng-tour/T-RC01
Old 02-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Global Moderator

@doubekill, i merged the threads. tanong lang, does your bike have provisions for the attachment?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:59 PM

@anthrax: sir no provisions...i usually commute..masakit na likod ko kung lagi naka back pack..meron ako nakita na product na ibera.. naka kapit lang siya sa seat post..may nabibili bang cheap pero durable..i thing ibera is quite expensive..
Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Global Moderator

kung gusto mo nung nakakabit sa seatpost, may 10kg limit yata yun. meron ang MOB and Topeak na ganun. syempre mas mura MOB, pero it's enough
Old 02-11-2013, 01:44 PM

ok sir maraming salamat..titignan ko kung meron sa LBS dito baguio TY
Old 02-12-2013, 12:58 AM
Lurker

Hi Inoy/mods Anthrax. Too late, 2nd hand canopied trailer both sold out at ATC and HMR.. Would really want to get one sana. Any other suggestions?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Global Moderator

@Yce, he he he, wanna go custom?
Links