PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions

Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions For newbies who wanted to ask any info on mountainbiking stuff.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines

Old 12-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Lurker

Question headset issues due to sloppy work

Hi! Good afternoon everyone. I am quite new to this forum. Been looking around since I got my bike last month. Just reading stuff from members about bikes and the biking community in the Philippines. Really great to be here and know that the community is a big one. We just need a lot more people to be active online and share their experiences. Well, to start off my post, here it it: I have a bit of an issue with my headset and I need your inputs with regards to what happened.

I have a Merida MATTS TFS 600 2013 frame which I bought from Quiapo a month ago with components I chose then (which I gradually replaced over time, less than a month I think after researching a lot on brands and bike components), one of that being an FSA headset. If I knew then that Chris King headsets are way better, I would have chosen CK and the rest would have been history. As it was, I decided to replace my FSA with a CK headset last week. I went to Velo City in Cartimar and bought a CK headset while I was searching for Crankbrothers components. I had no knowledge about headset installation prior to this incident so I agreed that the mechanic on the store install the CK headset I bought since the saleslady told me the shop mechanic knows how to install one.

He went through the usual routine of removing the components on the fork and removing the headset which he did very sloppily. He had the proper tools. The FSA headset components literally went flying as he hammered away to remove them. Still usable but they already had scratches from the headset remover and from the floor. During installation of the CK headset (which is quite costly, by the way), he was forcing it in even though it wasn't aligned properly. Note: He was using a headset press with just a carton in between the press and the CK headset. It was only when I went to my regular LBS near my place that I learned that the mechanic should have used adaptors with the press to prevent scratches on the headset being installed. To make a long story short, the end results were:

- Headset was scratched. (Which I think shouldn't be the case considering I just bought it and it costs a lot.)
- Frame metal got chipped off inside the well (Is this normal?). He also had to use sandpaper to fit in the headset (Is this also normal?) on top. I was there since I was holding the bar while he was installing so I saw everything but I didn't stop him back then or corrected him because I didn't know anything then.
- Headset component on the lower part is not sitting well. (I think this happened because it wasn't aligned when he installed it in so the CK metal ate into the Merida frame that's why it's not sitting well). Is this normal? Is this going to affect the future performance and maintenance of my bike? (Like the headset wearing down faster on one side or something? Or the bearing not behaving like they should?)
- I happen to think the front assembly is misaligned considering the bottom part of the headset is not aligned. My regular LBS told me it was OK but then I posted here to ask your inputs because somebody might know better.

I don't know if it's just me but I feel like somethings wrong with my bike. First off, I spent a lot to buy quality components for my bike and I feel cheated that someone else had to do a major damage on my it even though the damage is not visible (considering its inside the frame). The bottom component of the headset attached to the bike reveals the difference on how the part came in which is not balanced on opposite ends (I am admittedly an OC person that's why I noticed).

My thoughts are still jumbled as of now so this is it for this post for the meantime. I will edit or share my thoughts when I have composed myself. Thanks for your time in reading this and I hope to get good inputs from you guys.

BTW: Marunong rin ako magTagalog pero medyo baluktot lang and wrong spelling. Kaya Ingles yung post ko. Just reply in what is comfortable for you.

Links
Old 12-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Single-Speeder

Default Re: headset issues due to sloppy work

if that happened to me, i'd demand a replacement.. i just had my headset replaced 2 weeks back by someone obviously more competent..

didn't experience any of those crap.. he handled my bike (a merida tfs 900 btw) with special care..

I'd say, return it.. have it checked.. and replaced..

BIKE More.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:49 PM
All-Mountain

Good Mechanics are hard to find... So if you do found him, stick with him. Kung wala pa ask for referrals. That way you dont have to worry like what happened to you. At nung simula palang sana na na sloppyhan ka na sa kanya pinatigil mo na sya. You dont pay him to destroy things you earned hard to acquire... Mahal piyesa ng bike ngayon...
me, before the mechanic I dont know starts working on my bike, kinakausap ko muna, para malaman nya na maingat ka sa bike mo...
Kung hinde align yang headset mo thats bad. aalog yan at masisisra kaagad sayang. get it check again to (sorry again) another mechanic...
But to tell you, My Cane Creek Headset was installed carefully using a mallet only... but it fits well... Hope maayos mo na yan kaagad. Goodluck

Old 12-18-2012, 04:12 PM
All-Mountain

aside from the mechanics...the shop should be equipped with the proper tools.

good thing i found one in our province (they even have the tool for installing "picollo" for the brakehose)

Old 12-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Single-Speeder

ang mahal ng ck na headset tapos ganun lang tratuhin ng bike mechanic, saka malamang hindi siguro sukat para sa frame mo yung headset in the first place kaya ganun nangyari na parang pinilit lang ikabit since nagliha pa siya ng loob ng heatube para mapagkasya. imho

Old 12-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Bike Fanatic

That sucks. If I were you I would have asked for a replacement - but I know that would have been hard, especially if you're not the demanding type. Knowing the character of the people there they would have probably given you a hard time. Hirap nga mag hanap ng magaling na mekaniko. Official CK dealer pa naman "daw". I never had any good experiences dealing with the people at Velo City. Presko.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:08 AM
All-Mountain

there are only a few bike mechanics i trust. and even those i trust, i go to them only as a last resort (ie, busy, tinatamad, may warranty, or im in need of a special tool).

Unlike cars and engines and TVs, maintaining and reparing bikes does not involve rocket science. i learned to fix my bike when i was in elementary school. everything in our bikes (yes including the internals of our suspensions) can be figured out with just a little effort (if all else fails, there's google ).

What im saying is that it's a good idea to invest some time to learn everything about our pricey toys. This way, if we really have to go to a wrench guy, we know what's happening. A lot of them work sloppily because they think we have no clue as to what they're doing. Just let them know, and most of the time, you'll get quality service.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Lurker

Sir Tadjock, I called the shop yesterday and asked if they can replace the headset (and the frame). Seems like they delegated that responsibility to the mechanic (who I think can't pay considering he doesn't look like he can). I doubt anything beneficial on my part is going to happen in this situation. Best thing I can probably do as of the moment (unless I press charges if he can't pay or anything which I think is overkill) is to advise the community against having your beloved bikes brought for service to Velo City and that mechanic in particular. I am definitely not bringing my bike back over there for service in the near and far future.

If I may ask, where did you buy your frame? I am currently looking for a blue-themed Merida frame. Thank you.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Single-Speeder

^ If you're looking for a merida frame you can't go wrong with lifecycles in greenhills mas cheaper pa sila kesa sa quiapo and cartimar. imho

Old 12-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Lurker

Sir ton2xx, Sir dudepare01, Sir jdg, Sir ACMI,

Thanks for your inputs good Sirs. I do have a regular mechanic but I trusted the word of the saleslady who said it was easy for their mechanic to install the headset. Next time I'll definitely think twice.

The headset was fit for my frame. One of the reasons why it didn't go in well during his first attempt was because he didn't apply grease. It was only when the headset didn't go in that he put grease on it. But the frame was already scraped off inside due to the harder material of the headset. It was only when I pointed out about the grease when he bothered to apply some. St***d, I think, considering he told me he's been a mechanic since elementary. I did bother to have chitchat with him. Just didn't know how a real installation should have gone then because I didn't research yet. I guess he took advantage of my ignorance and said that it was OK for that to happen. If I knew that it shouldn't be so, I would have stopped him and brought my bike to my regular mechanic.

And yes, one reason I feel cheated is because the headset is almost the same price as the frame. Mechanics should be educated with regards to customers rights and stuff. Otherwise, shops should not hire them just because of years under their belts.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Single-Speeder

@suarez

if i were you, bring it back to the shop.. let them see it with their own eyes... all that hard work for you to have the money to buy parts gone to waste..
even though the mechanic installed the headset, the shop should also be held accountable..

lifecycle offers good frames.. king's at quiapo has too

BIKE More.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:52 PM
All-Mountain

AT least dapat meron yan warranty... Did you keep your OR... If you really felt cheated at nasira nila dahil sa mishandling. DTI ang sagot dyan. anyone knows it. Try to tell them na mag reklamo ka. Takot lang nila mawalan ng lisesya magbenta.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:17 PM
All-Mountain

the shop should be held liable...it's their employee who damaged your unit, wag silang maghugas kamay at kinuha nila ang mekanikong yon para magtrabaho sa kanila.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Single-Speeder

nakakapanghinayang naman. tsk tsk.

it should be the shop, not just the employee who damaged the parts. obviously, the mechanic cant pay. the shop should replace the parts and then settle the matter with their staff later. hindi yung kayo pa maniningil sa mechanic. hindi naman yata tama yon.

anyway, if it is a merida you're after, i think i saw some in iron bike - araneta.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Lurker

Will there be an effect to this incident in case I decide to upgrade and sell my frame in the future?

I checked everything out and everything seems okay after I had my regular mechanic work on it. He just switched the upper and lower headset. The lower part of the headset still has the anomaly although the bike seems okay. I have yet to ride it for quite some time to feel or know if anything major will be affected by the damage caused.

Links

Old 12-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Single-Speeder

if I were in your shoes, i'll have it replaced.. but if all seems okay, that'll be fine

BIKE More.
Links