PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > General MTBiking Discussion

Notices

General MTBiking Discussion If its about MTB but doesn't fit in the other boards.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 10-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Global Moderator

Default What stops you from using locally owned bike components?

We know that Maldea, MOB and Vision are commercially available local brands. MOB and Vision are probably made in Taiwan since it's cheaper to produce there. I'm not sure about Turbolite. I'm sure there are some more local brands or local frame manufacturers but they don't get the limelight.

But did you know that MOB and Vision both have wheelsets? or at least rims. MOB has drivetrain components.

My question is....what stops you from using these? Is it because of fear that local brands are inferior? Or the mindset the cheap = poor quality? Or it's not blingy? Or "yeah it's local but an unknown foreign brand is cheaper? Or I'm getting what's readily available?

What I'm driving at is....why not support local? If we support the industry, maybe we'll have more options in the future.

Share your thoughts

PS: I understand those who could afford more expensive items, but for the common Juan like me....I wanna know what you think.
Links
Old 10-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Downhiller

Default Re: What stops you from using locally owned bike components?

how about you sir, are you using these brands? if not, why?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Global Moderator

me? i'm currently yung an MOB T-09 along with their seatpost and seatclamp. haven't tried their drivetrain because i just transferred my components from another bike (whose swingarm was broken)

and yes, i use that same bike on sharing sessions so it's pretty much punished, but it holds its ground. haven't had a chance to own a vision, although i do lean towards MOB a lot. i don't think i'll ever own a maldea, i'm a bad bike cleaner...i can't maintain steel, it will just rust.

oh and my dad and me used to use MOB tires, the 1.5 and 1.38 sizes.

yes, i support local as much as i can. i'm still trying to do something about IsoLink, he he, although i'm out of ideas at the moment.

now...back to topic, hi hi hi.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Cross-country

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbonalos View Post
how about you sir, are you using these brands? if not, why?
+1 are you using these brands?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Global Moderator

err....see reply above.

the thread question should've been answered before asking the TS right?

OT: i'm feeling like a witness being discredited instead of concentrating on the actual case, ha ha.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Bike Commuter

I choose my brand based on the performance reviews, Quality, design & looks, and then the price. That's how I choose most of my components. Regarding the Brand/Name I also consider it.. why is it pricey..oh it's the name...but does the quality and design live with it or just the plain name itself? I have nothing against local brands, I used it before when I was a BMX rider. I suggest MOB, Vision etc to my friends especially those in short budget but looking for cheap but good quality components.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Bike Commuter

i'm a user of MOB pedals and tire pump, more than 5 years old na sila and still working...

i recently bought a diamondback (DB) built bike last october 2011, the pedals (DB) lasted only 6 months (may alog na kagad), i exchanged the MOB pedals from my old school bike and still works/spins perfectly...

i'm not much of an upgrader... if its not broken, i don't touch it... and as sir anthrax eloquently put it, i also am a regular juan... so its no issue for me in using local brands... basta matibay.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Downhiller

sorry Mod for putting you in that position.... hindi sinasadya....

i used to use an MOB flat pedals, but then again, i changed to clipless pedals,

na wala naman ang MOB.....

ako din naman, as much as possible, buy your own product, pero and MOB and VISION, very limited lang ang available na size para sa akin.. puro small at medium lang.... AVE MALDEA? kung may access lang para pumunta sa kanya bakit hindi, kung available din agad ang frames nya, bakit hindi......

OT: is the ISOLINK bike, already available in the market? i would like to build a bike with that frame and ride it here in Qatar......
Old 10-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Freeride

Quality and of course bling factor he he he.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro View Post
Quality and of course bling factor he he he.
so...because local products don't have quality or bling, it stops you? bling I understand, we're kinda blinded with anodized stuff. but quality....how do you know it's there if you don't use it?

@john, it's a suspension design nina Alphabolt, Pjax and another guy (i keep forgetting his name). only 2 frames currently exist, nag-a-apply pa ng patent, or meron na yata.

@xmetal, so hmm...no or little reviews would mean the product is not worth the buck? then again...i'm guilty of not providing reviews for the components i use, ha ha.

sorry to nitpick guys...i'm just trying to find a root cause, he he.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Downhiller

i think much more powerful marketing will do the job, but then again, it will affect the pricing... hehehehe..... is pasawaylouie still sporting the MOB brand?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Global Moderator

i know he still has the wheelset, not sure if he's racing on it. but it takes a lot of beating, knowing how he rides.

marketing.....i don't see any marketing on SGM, Ryder, Amoeba, but they do get sold. they're about in the same price range. heck, MOB has a built bike ranging from 7.5 - 12K.

on my next build, i might be able to get a used MOB wheelset. yeah i'm cheap, neither a weight weenie, he he.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Freeride

ang sarap kaseng makita yung pyesa mo nakikita mo rin sa magazine ng mga mtb.. hehe natatandaan ko nung bata bata pa ko, bumili ko mtbike action mag, tnignan ng dad ko, tapos tingnan yung bike ko,tapos nagtanung 'wala naman dito pyesa mo' sbi ko naman, 'mahal na pag nasa magasin pyesa mo. ayun,mula nun sbi ko pg nagkapera ako mga nsa magasin ang bibilin ko. e mga local brands bhira sa magasin.. natuwa nga ako dati ng nagka advertisment ang sunrace twist shfter nila sa mba mag. sbi ko 'uy sunrace din roller ko' hehe.. pero naka vision frame ako ngaun.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Bike Commuter

I'm still using my 5yr+ MOB LDX Hub and seatpost. I'm also using their Cable Housing Group Set. And I also used to have MOB Disc Brake Calipers until I upgraded it to Shimano Hydros.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Cross-country

for safety reasons and so on.................
Links
Old 10-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Bike Fanatic

in my case availability, ewan ko kung bakit bihira ang nagbebenta dito ng MOB parts,
pero yung mga japeyk na truvativ nagkalat... at mabenta

pero yung frame common naman.. di ko lang size, same goes for vision

sa helmets.. di ko lang gusto yung style ng MOB at kokonut, except dun sa MOB dirt lid (G-pro yata yun)
Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Bike Commuter

May MOB tire pump pala ko hehe tapos dun sa errand bike ko na dati kong gamit gamit may parts dun MOB din...steel frame sya balak ko palita ng vision if ever para pang commute ba .

on topic: simple lang din yan sir..pag swak sa taste ko bibilhin ko...for example what if naglabas ang MOB ng wheelset ala DaBomb Revolver gold camo with half the price..with good reviews pa sa mga nakagamit na...syempre dun na ko! it's like the brand itself carries it's integrity na din...na matibay yan kahit ipantalon talon mo yan...like Shimano..when it comes to drivetrains etc...it's ike bibili ka na lang din e di yung sure ka na para sulit din ang pera at higher rate ang safety.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 PM
All-Mountain

Ever since I've converted to being a SS and have used steel for my bike frame, I've been less brand conscious. I've had 2 vision frames already, haven't used them long enough to make a reliable review though. But they served me well, never failed me..not once.

Right now I have a maldea frame, never been happier. Fell in love with steel right away. And having a 2kg steel frame..hopes of a being a weight weenie ran away from me. Plus it gave me confidence that local craftsmanship does have the edge(that goes for Vision as well). And for the price, aroud 3k for the vision frames and 5k++ for a custom build frame then I'm all ears for that. hehe

Probably the only thing stopping me buying form other local brands is the selection of parts and availability. 29er parts are pretty hard to come buy at some LBS's here in Antipolo. So it's either I go to quiapo, buy from online sellers or source 2nd hand parts. But if given the opportunity to try out local 29er parts like tires, rims, etc.. I'd definitely support them.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:08 PM
All-Mountain

I'm using MOB wheelset in gold bling never ko pa dinala sa bikeshop for truing (almost 2 years na), heavy rider ako in fact fork ko ang bumigay yung wheelset wala nangyari, sa bling factor naman sa biglang tingan parang Spank yung rims. Very affordable mejo mabigat pero ok lang kasi sinasakyan ko naman yung bike di ko binubuhat
Old 10-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Global Moderator

alright, keep the ideas coming.

right now this is what i'm getting:

so kailangan nasa magazine para bilhin -- advertising might solve this.

availability -- yeah there might be a problem since retailers don't want to sell items that might not sell.

safety -- hmm...gotta think how to solve this. i have yet to hear reports of failure.

good reviews -- i think this is subjective, since there's not a lot of reviewers. or a more pressing thing is local brands don't get tested on races, hence no podium or review.

competition -- imported but fakes are cheaper
Links