PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Single Speeder, 29ers & 69ers

Notices

Single Speeder, 29ers & 69ers For 29ers, 69ers and Single Speeder Fanatics

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 09-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Lurker

Default Should I or Should I Not?

My current set up for the last 8 or so months.

Moto Fly Team Ti 29er Frame
Reba RL 100MM
Schwalbe Nobby Nic.

I was thinking of changing things up a little bit and replace the Reba with an On One Carbon Fork and the NN's with the Hans Dampf 2.4. Also maybe change the rears to Rocket Ron's or Racing Ralphs. I mainly ride XC.

Would like to get your inputs on the RIGID fork and 'bigger' front wheel combo. Should I stay with the Nobby Nics and just get the Rigid Carbon Fork? I also like the Niner version but for 20k....:thumbs down:

Anybody running this set up or have any experience with it?

It would look something like this...I already pm'd the guy for his ride impressions but he hasn't replied yet.

Links
Old 09-18-2012, 02:13 PM
All-Mountain

Default Re: Should I or Should I Not?

The rigid fork carbon would definitely give you more edge. With the 80mm suspension corrected travel, your bike would probably feel more XCish(pardon the term) with the lower front end. On the plus side, im pretty sure the on one carbon fork has a pretty forgiving ride(I have a similar fork, aluminum steerer and dropouts, carbon legs). For me, the ride is a lot smoother than my salsa cromoto. But that's just my impression of it. Flex is better, absorbs impacts better. As long as you use it within its capabilities you're good to go. Also rode it on light trails, not bad as well. Though if I were you, I'd still keep the suspension fork. For the tires, I never use anything above 2.1's for both the front and rear. But if you want that extra grip that your NN's can't give you then go for it! HTH
Old 09-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Downhiller

first of all, what is your objective in your want to change to a rigid fork?

kung weight reduction, it makes sense. kaso you want to change to a fatter front tire, bibigat din.

ako i did change to a rigid front fork, but it is for my ss. i still have my xtc29er for long rides/ race (kunwaring racer).
Old 09-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Lurker

I guess I'm bored with my current set up and too cheap to buy another bike. I have a friend that has a Surly KM in my size that I might just to borrow. Aside from being fully rigid, it's also SS.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:08 AM
Lurker

I have been riding a 29er rigid ss for a year now, full time. Few weeks ago, I was bored and curious to try out a suspension fork. Got a 100mm Reba. A week after riding it, I got bored and went back to rigid. I realized the rigid setup is good enough for the type of riding that I do. Maybe I'll go back to the Reba later on (this is my only bike) if I ever make a trip to some of the "more" AM-ish trails in the future.

There's nothing wrong with changing things up a bit. One thing I can say, rigid is on another level compare to squish setup. You kind of have to pick your lines more carefully. It's gonna take some time to get your comfort zone, but you'll get there if you stay committed. Goodluck.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Freeride

"I guess I'm bored with my current set up"

this is the first thing came up to my mind after reading your post.. your bike is more than fine, at least for me, and changing something might be your way to spark some interests rather than necessities..
Old 09-22-2012, 01:04 AM

I love riding my 26er rigid SS. Now on the NINER carbon fork with the 26er setup, it's like a 120mm sagged fork. Before this, I was running Voodoo Zombie fork (chromoly). Besides saving 1kg from the front end, the carbon also tone down the chatter on trails (felt most on washboard type of descends), kinda like boxing with a boxing glove compared to a bare hands.

This is my only bike, so I ride everywhere with it. One important factor going from suspension fork to a rigid is the riding posture. One mantra I always remember is "Heavy legs, light hands".

Alot of my XCish friends test rode my bike and the swore it off immediately is due to their riding position. I notice XCish riders like a roomy cockpit and a pedally seat height so they tend to weigh their weights on the arms quite abit. So when the squishiness is taken out, it's going to be painful at first.

I set my bike up like an oversized BMX with a dropper post. Riding with heavy legs, light hands on the rigid, all's good.

As for the NINER carbon fork, it's well worth the money. Light, solid and muted at the same time. Check out MTBR forums for pix where it's proven it's durability with pix of people doing drops, jumps and etc with it (XC & trail riding).
Old 09-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Downhiller

to the TS, siguro ganun nga, hiramin mo muna yung KM ng tropa mo, para at least ma appreciate mo muna before spending
Old 10-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Lurker

Guys thanks for the comments. I'll most probably look into a used rigid steel fork. I've heard great reviews. I just think the niner carbon fork os way too much money. Instead of the Hans Dampf I might opt for rocket ron's or racing ralph. I also do quite a bit of road riding.

Again thanks for the comments. I'll make sure to update with pics when I do the change.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:36 PM
All-Mountain

beautiful bike but only 8 months and already bored with that setup?

how about riding it somewhere different than your usual route.
sometimes, riding same sh*t gets boring. You said you ride more on the road, try something more technical, or at least try it in trails then maybe you'll finally have a use for that suspension fork. malay mo mawala yung boredom na yan di ka pa napagastos

WITH GREAT CAMERA COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY...
Old 10-06-2012, 06:21 AM

If you want to change things up, by all means do it. I've change my setup over time.

Here are some of the configurations of my Ti hardtail:

Fork: 80mm suspended, rigid steel, currently rigid carbon w/Al steerer (Origin 8). I find the carbon fork to be a bit more forgiving and less harsh than the steel fork.

Bars: straight Ti, riser carbon, currently sweep w/o rise (Jones Ti H-bar)

Drivetrain: 8sp, SS w/tensioner, currently triple SS w/o tensioner (basically a 3sp w/o derailleurs or shifters), all 3 SS gears use a similar chain length. 1 gear for road (36x14), 1 gear for dirt (32x18), 1 gear for "I'm tired and can't climb the steep stuff anymore" (26x25)

Front tire: 26 w/suspension, 26 rigid, currently 29 rigid

Brakes: canti F&R, BB7 Front/V rear, currently V F&R

Seatpost: Alum, carbon, currently Ti

Stem: Al 135mm, Al 120mm, Ti 120mm, currently Ti 90mm

I would describe my current setup as a rigid, titanium, SS, 69er frankenbike.

Not that I get bored with my bike, but I like trying different things. You won't know what you like until you've tried it. I find that a carbon fork with Ti bars and stem are not too harsh on the rough, bumpy & fast technical stuff. Don't be afraid to go rigid, but don't expect to have a plush ride.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Freeride

somehow sir your right its all in the mind and it needs a lots of mind conditioning,..hehehe
Links

Tags
29er, rigid, titanium