PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Health, Fitness & Nutrition

Health, Fitness & Nutrition MTB and the Human Machine

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store MT Pro Bikes Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports ISOLINK Mtb Suspension System Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano Business Venture 888 - 12 O'Clock Bike Components Parts and Accessories.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Downhiller

Default The Food Industry Spends $40 Billion On Advertising Food Every Year

I think maganda itong i-share dito. Related naman sa health.

-----------
101 Facts You Should Know About Food
by John Farndon
Icon Books Ltd. © 2007 Citation

Chapter 37: The Food Industry Spends $40 Billion On Advertising Food Every Year

Overview

We don’t need to be persuaded to buy food; it’s a necessity of life. Yet the food industry spends $40 billion (£21 billion) a year advertising it. That’s $7 for every single man, woman and child on the planet. In rich countries like the USA, the spending on food advertising isn’t far short of $100 (£53) per person.

The heaviest advertising comes from American global brands like Coca-Cola, McDonald’s and Pepsi. Coca-Cola spends $1.5 billion advertising every year, making it and McDonald’s the two most globally recognised brands. About a quarter of this is spent in the USA, of course, but in recent years Coca-Cola and the other food giants like Nestlé, Procter & Gamble and Mars have been targeting the ex-Soviet countries with a vengeance.

Of course, the food that gets all the advertisement is rarely fresh food. It’s almost invariably processed food, food with high added value. This is food we don’t necessarily need, but can be persuaded to buy because it seems to suit our taste or lifestyle – fizzy drinks, sweets, fast food and so on.

The problem is that these foods are almost invariably much higher in sugars, refined starches, fats and added salt than fresh food – and they include the very junk foods that health practitioners believe are fuelling the obesity epidemic that’s now sweeping the richer world and bringing many health problems such as heart disease and diabetes. In a telling comparison, Eric Millstone and Tim Lang say in their book, The Atlas of Food, that ‘for every dollar spent by the World Health Organization on trying to improve the nutrition of the world’s population, around $500 is spent by the food industry on promoting processed foods’.

In face of the rising tide of obesity and diabetes, many health experts are calling for bans to be placed on advertising junk food, especially to children, who are particularly susceptible to advertising’s persuasive power and are the target of a huge proportion of junk food advertising. Some organisations believe that there should be no advertising of junk food on TV before 9pm.

So far, governments have held off from any such bans, and are trying to encourage voluntary restraint from the food industry. In the UK, the health minister Patricia Hewitt said: ‘We’ve already stepped in, but there’s only so much the government can do … People need to want to change their lifestyles and take responsibility for their health.’

Old 08-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: The Food Industry Spends $40 Billion On Advertising Food Every Year

i remember the movie Dave on cutting costs with regards to this article.

he cuts down the budget of advertising regarding cars. the ads show that the people should be happy with their cars. Dave says, why do we need to tell them that? (or something to that effect), they already bought the car.

same with food i suppose, i feel that if you've got a strong brand, you don't really need ads.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Downhiller

i like those beer ads especially yung sa colt 45, yung latest with the angels etc

beer is considered food too right?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Bike Commuter

Thanks for the post, froilanr. I'll try to read that book. Ito, maganda din.

Apparently, even foods that we traditionally consider as healthy may be just as deadly as junkfood. Medyo controversial yung book and for some, the author's conclusions may be hard to swallow. However, I highly recommend it based my own personal experience. Life changing

Ps. For those who have no time to read the whole book there's also an abridged audiobook version that's just as engaging - especially in traffic.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Single-Speeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathya View Post
Thanks for the post, froilanr. I'll try to read that book. Ito, maganda din.

Apparently, even foods that we traditionally consider as healthy may be just as deadly as junkfood. Medyo controversial yung book and for some, the author's conclusions may be hard to swallow. However, I highly recommend it based my own personal experience. Life changing

Ps. For those who have no time to read the whole book there's also an abridged audiobook version that's just as engaging - especially in traffic.
Cathy, I'm guessing the authors recommend plant sources ng food?

Old 10-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Cross-country

Thanks for the posts. We also can't miss this TED talk on food, the environment, and western irresponsibility:

Tristram Stuart: The global food waste scandal
http://www.ted.com/talks/tristram_st...e_scandal.html

Western countries throw out nearly half of their food, not because it’s inedible -- but because it doesn’t look appealing. Tristram Stuart delves into the shocking data of wasted food, calling for a more responsible use of global resources.
Tristram Stuart sounds the warning bell on global food waste, calling for us to change the systems whereby large quantities of produce and other foods end up in trash heaps.

"We, the people, do have the power to stop [the] tragic waste of resources if we regard it as socially unacceptable to waste food.” (Tristram Stuart)

The goal of western advertising is to increase the demand for food and let people buy more food. They would rather throw excess produce, than reduce food production to ideal levels, or reduce the price of food for the consumers due to over-supply; while so many people go hungry, even right in their backyard, or just across the border. Quality control kuno. Food is still being used as a weapon in today's economic wars.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doboltap View Post
Cathy, I'm guessing the authors recommend plant sources ng food?
Hehe. I didn't want to put off any "animal lovers" but yep, basically the bottom line -is to consume mainly plant-based whole food and to avoid animal-based food. And mind you, that includes animal protein that we traditionally think of as healthy, such as milk and fish. For Campbell, it's not enough to trim the fat off the meat because animal protein itself is unhealthy -especially casein (the protein in milk).

I read the book because I was curious to find out the scientific evidence and explanation behind his claims - as well as for the physical changes I experienced while trying to adopt a plant-based diet over the past 5 years. On the internet, madaming arguments for and against and unless one is trained in epidemiology, it's really hard to critique all the studies he cited. I guess scientists and bloggers can argue about this till they are blue in the face but I feel the best way to know if the diet will work is to try it for a a few months. For some people, this might be difficult especially if you eat out a lot or have to cook your own food but at the very least, I think people should cut down on dairy. Mahirap lang talaga to retrain the palate. I still love frozen youghurt.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Single-Speeder

Quote:
Hehe. I didn't want to put off any "animal lovers" but yep, basically the bottom line -is to consume mainly plant-based whole food and to avoid animal-based food. And mind you, that includes animal protein that we traditionally think of as healthy, such as milk and fish. For Campbell, it's not enough to trim the fat off the meat because animal protein itself is unhealthy -especially casein (the protein in milk).

I read the book because I was curious to find out the scientific evidence and explanation behind his claims - as well as for the physical changes I experienced while trying to adopt a plant-based diet over the past 5 years. On the internet, madaming arguments for and against and unless one is trained in epidemiology, it's really hard to critique all the studies he cited. I guess scientists and bloggers can argue about this till they are blue in the face but I feel the best way to know if the diet will work is to try it for a a few months. For some people, this might be difficult especially if you eat out a lot or have to cook your own food but at the very least, I think people should cut down on dairy. Mahirap lang talaga to retrain the palate. I still love frozen youghurt.
Mahirap pala basahin
I cant even spell epidemiology w/out looking

I'm trying to go vegetables since I eat lunch alone most of the time
nga lang i cheat by drinking whey protein w/ the veggies
My prob w/ farmed meat is the amount of junk they inject into the animals to make it grow faster, protect it from diseases
I'm curious, what do vegetarians eat w/ beer?

Old 10-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Mahirap pala basahin
I cant even spell epidemiology w/out looking

I'm trying to go vegetables since I eat lunch alone most of the time
nga lang i cheat by drinking whey protein w/ the veggies
My prob w/ farmed meat is the amount of junk they inject into the animals to make it grow faster, protect it from diseases
I'm curious, what do vegetarians eat w/ beer?
Hindi naman mahirap basahin yung book. Just the cited references in case you want to double check the facts. The audiobook is simpler and shorter but if that's still too boring maybe you can watch the video instead...

Yup, nakakatakot nga yung hormones and antibiotics that they inject in farmed animals but what's really gross is what they feed them.

http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_agric...eality-of.html

And in some farms pala, the newborn calves are taken from their mothers so that the milk can be collected for human consumption and the calves are weaned on milk replacers containing.... cattle blood.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michae...b_1450984.html

Now that's just sick. After learning this I asked my daughter to refrain from drinking milk tea and she gladly obliged.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Single-Speeder

Lots of athletes have turned to plant based diets
They claim more energy and faster healing injuries
Matagal ko na binabalak , but this is gonna take a lot of effort

Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Lots of athletes have turned to plant based diets
They claim more energy and faster healing injuries
Matagal ko na binabalak , but this is gonna take a lot of effort

Yes, retraining your taste buds won't be easy and it might take a couple of years before you can consistently ignore your favorite meat dishes at the dinner table. But just set short term goals and maybe after a couple of months, if you can see and feel results, it will be easier to stick to the diet.

It also helps to have some form of motivation other than just improving your health, especially if you are already fit to begin with. Around 3 years ago, after discovering he had fatty liver, my husband decided to start running and go vegetarian. After losing 10 lbs in 3 months, he resumed eating meat (in smaller quantities) and just kept the weight off with added exercise. Recently however, he decided to run a half marathon but had limited time to train for it (he could only run twice a week). I suggested to him that the easiest way to get a decent time despite his busy schedule was to shed a few pounds by going vegan again. So yun, despite being stuck at 160 for the past 2 years, he lost 8lbs in 6 weeks and was able to at least duplicate his half marathon time for the previous year -with only half the training time and mileage before the race.

This month, my secretary is doing the same experiment. Matagal na siya tumatakbo but somehow she could never slim down. Hindi siya mahilig sa gulay but after seeing how effective the diet was on my husband, she agreed to try to stop eating animals for a month. In the past 2 weeks she has lost 3 lbs.

For young people like my daughter (who aren't as concerned about health issues), the motivation that sometimes works is an ethical one, especially after having watched some very disturbing videos on youtube. I'm hesitant to post the links here because this post might be flagged but if you are interested (and have a strong stomach), you can check out "from farm to fridge" and also "glass walls" - a peta vid featuring Paul Mccartney. I guess these practices don't happen on most farms but you never can tell what fate befell the poor animal on your plate.

Best to avoid bad karma

Ps. For pet lovers (and philosophers) who really want to cut down on animal consumption, I think watching the film "EARTHLINGS" (narrated by Joaquin Phoenix) will help strengthen your resolve. For me, it's the film that seals the deal.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:45 AM
Freeride

mas maliit compare sa advertising spending ng auto industry,.
pero come to think of it mas importante ang food

Old 10-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Single-Speeder

Quote:
Yes, retraining your taste buds won't be easy and it might take a couple of years before you can consistently ignore your favorite meat dishes at the dinner table. But just set short term goals and maybe after a couple of months, if you can see and feel results, it will be easier to stick to the diet.

It also helps to have some form of motivation other than just improving your health, especially if you are already fit to begin with. Around 3 years ago, after discovering he had fatty liver, my husband decided to start running and go vegetarian. After losing 10 lbs in 3 months, he resumed eating meat (in smaller quantities) and just kept the weight off with added exercise. Recently however, he decided to run a half marathon but had limited time to train for it (he could only run twice a week). I suggested to him that the easiest way to get a decent time despite his busy schedule was to shed a few pounds by going vegan again. So yun, despite being stuck at 160 for the past 2 years, he lost 8lbs in 6 weeks and was able to at least duplicate his half marathon time for the previous year -with only half the training time and mileage before the race.

This month, my secretary is doing the same experiment. Matagal na siya tumatakbo but somehow she could never slim down. Hindi siya mahilig sa gulay but after seeing how effective the diet was on my husband, she agreed to try to stop eating animals for a month. In the past 2 weeks she has lost 3 lbs.

For young people like my daughter (who aren't as concerned about health issues), the motivation that sometimes works is an ethical one, especially after having watched some very disturbing videos on youtube. I'm hesitant to post the links here because this post might be flagged but if you are interested (and have a strong stomach), you can check out "from farm to fridge" and also "glass walls" - a peta vid featuring Paul Mccartney. I guess these practices don't happen on most farms but you never can tell what fate befell the poor animal on your plate.

Best to avoid bad karma

Even just eating an all vegetable lunch the past 3 weeks my waistline has decreased
Nga lang I eat a lot of protein during dinner w/c is usually after gym

Sa plant based diet, where do you get you protein?
Actually, I'm wondering If I need all the protein I eat
Daming tanong , baka masingil ako ng pf

Old 10-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Bike Commuter

Doboltap, congrats! Keep at it a few more weeks and slowly, your food preferences and habits will change -along with your body and energy levels.

Re protein. I get mine from the usual plant sources like beans, tofu, soy milk and nuts and I don't supplement with protein powders or meat substitutes. For my weight and activity level, I think I need around 30+ grams per day or 5 to 10 percent of my caloric intake. However I have never bothered to count calories or grams. Most of the vegan literature I've read say that as long as you eat a varied diet of the right foods, your body can sense and tell you what it needs. My only diet rule is to listen to my body. I can eat whatever I feel like eating (as much as I want) but only when I'm hungry. So far, hindi naman ako nanghihina at hindi din masyado nagbabago timbang ko regardless of my activity level.

But maybe athletes have to be more mindful of their protein consumption, especially you're trying to build muscles.

Baka makatulong ito....

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein/

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein-primer/