PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Images & Videos Gallery > Trail Gallery > Luzon Trails Gallery

Notices

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 08-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: Cordillera trails (2012-08-17~08-21) : Banaue, Barlig, Tabuk, Tinglayan, Bon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNC View Post
@ Aydul Zang, pinahirapan mo ata si Dwoo; dapat sleeping beauty na sya for that night , pero pinagbantay mo ba ng bike? he hehehe

At tanong ko nga pala, marami ba sections for granny sa mga uphill segments? Sama nyo na sa next stories ni Drew. Waiting for Drew's version.

Again, thanks and 2 bottles of beer for each of you my account when opportunity comes for exchanging notes.
hahaha... Ser VNC.. actually, kusang loob ni Dwoo yun... salamat po uli kay Ms. Ella... tsk tsk tsk..

with regards sa uphill terrain... marami rin granny.. pero di naman sobrang kunat... na tulad ng shotgun... the grade ng Talubin to Barlig is about for 1km 80 meters up... hehe..

would to chitchat with you Ser with Bong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by napardas88 View Post
Definitely one heck of a ride of epic proportions, hope to experience a ride like this in the future, by the way, any bike problems along the way? seems like a smooth ride overall.

I think not only Paracelis and Tabuk are famous for their corn produce but also with the infamous "herb" Bob Marley loves to smoke, joke!

Thanks for sharing good, Sirs!

Yes, there are problems along the way.. si Dwoo at Earl na flat, at si Earl, on 2.5 day ride, dumikit ata yun rear Axle sa rear hubs, sumasabay ang axle sa pag ikot, kaya ni remedyo namin... STARWAX floor wax... tsk tsk tsk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8nolasco View Post
naman naman! nakakainggit yung ganyang adventure, wish ko lang magawa ko yan.. haay! congrats!
kaya nyo yan ser...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoops View Post
ZANG! ang ganda ng loop nyo pot@h! suuuuuper inggit naman, haven't been to these places except Barlig. what's the terrain like from Barlig-Natonin compared to Talubin-Barlig? i imagined the climb to Barlig from Talubin would be hard, yung jeep na sinakyan ko dati nag-init ang makina, it had to stop in the middle of the road where there was a hose sprouting cold water from a spring, pampalamig ng makina are there lodging houses in Natonin? i was told (over 2 years ago) na wala raw e thanks for sharing, it's weird wala si LEO at ARMAN hehehehe. at bakit walang peechur si Ms Ella? ahihihihi

Talubin - Barlig is uphell... siguro mas maganda na grade ngayon compare sa time na dumaan kayo.. wala kaming nakitang huminto na sasakyan... mabilis ang takbo... ayaw ata kami ipasakay.. tsk tsk tsk..

Barlig to Natonin are mostly downhill and few kilometers tolerable uphill...

May mga inn sa Natonin.. pero yun ibang inn.. mejo masungit ang may ari.. ayaw sa amin mga yagit ang hitsura.. tsk tsk tsk...

nag iba muna ng training si Leon.. tsk tsk tsk.. actually.. di sya pede... si Arman naman... busy ata...

I think, invisible si Ms. Ella.. di ko pa rin nakita si Ms. Ella.. basta na lang humahalakhak si Dwoo habang hawak hawak ang cellphone.. tsk tsk tsk...
Old 08-29-2012, 07:04 AM

Default Re: Cordillera trails (2012-08-17~08-21) : Banaue, Barlig, Tabuk, Tinglayan, Bon

@ Zang and Drew, up to now i continuously view and admire these pics and memories from your Tabuk Ride.

Napakaganda Pards!! I think we will be doing this ride soon. But for sure, with the ride documentations you did (GPS and all), it will be easier. Though wont be too much a pioneering ride to some but its worth having that experience you had with this ride.

As said, it would be nice to revisit this ride with you and Drew (if you both have time) over 2 buckets of SML either at Metro Walk or Tiende.

Ride safe always. Keep your adventures coming here at PMTB.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Bike Commuter

Keep your questions for now, I'll be posting a more detailed story of this ride tonight including elevation, trail conditions, pound for pound happenings and all

Still cooking up the story and the photos

Thanks for appreciating our adventure

cosmic-bubblegum.blogspot.com
Old 08-30-2012, 03:34 AM
Bike Commuter

I have got a long story to tell but read well because I promise you it will be all worth the time (if you have read my previous posts)

Ever since I first visited Sagada on June of 2008, I always visited it every year about 2-3 times annually at most (or at least once a year). I fell in love with the place. I have always wondered what was the road on the right of Talubin leads to. 'To Natonin/Barlig' the sign says. I was always going to the left of Talubin (either on my mountain bike or on a jeep/bus) which is the way to Bontoc and Sagada.

I had my appendix removed last May 19, this year and was so frustrated that I'm still wasn't allowed to bike after a month. So last in the long weekend of mid-June this year, barely a month after my operation, I decided to just trek around Sagada. Coinciding on these dates and prior to my operation, Jake aka Jakoguns sent invites for a bike ride near Lagawe which I so envied because of my condition. Just after a day in Sagada, I went to Lagawe to have drinks with them after their ride.

During our drinking session Rod mentioned that him, Arman and Cesar Banares wanted to do a bike ride in Tabuk because he saw it featured in Richard Gutierrez' Pinoy Adventures show. But Jake also mentioned an upcoming ride invite by the Nueva Vizcayanos. I couldn't choose which to join but its June by that time so I did no think about it that much.

So came July and I texted Jake asking about the ride of the N.Vizcayanos, but he said no updates yet. And knowing Jake, if there's a ride he would be the one inviting and he seems busy that time. So I started to plan the ride. Examined google maps, google earth maps. Made estimates, asked friends who have been in those places, like Dayuhan, Jakoguns, and a couple of mountaineering friends like Mimis (a veteran guide from Benguet) and Alvin (aka Tintoy). After a few drafts, I finalized the IT:

Day 1: Banaue - Talubin - Barlig
Day 2: Barlig - Natonin
Day 3: Natonin - Paracelis - Tabuk
Day 4: Tabuk - Lubuagan - Tinglayan
Day 5: Tinglayan - Sadanga - Bontoc - (Banaue, if we make it before dark or Baguio if there will still be trips by the time we arrive at Bontoc)

The map route:

I invited 80+ people in facebook, had about 6-8 tentative attendees and even 5 rsvp'd, in the end only 2 confirmed to the event. Me, Rod (Zang) and Earl Lester (who I already biked with last summer). I strictly don't invite other who I haven't biked with or don't know personally because I don't want the group nor the trip to be jeopardized. Thank God I'm biking with at least 2 friends, otherwise it would have ended up like my solo bike trip last dec 2011-jan 2012:
http://www.pinoymtbiker.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=73426

About 5 days before our trip, we got reservations. The next day Lester got his bus ticket for the same bus schedule. Typhoon Helen was even on the verge of ruining our plans, Helen came to the Philippines on Monday but left by Thursday. It was a tight schedule but I'm confident the mountains of Cordilleras had enough muscle to weaken the typhoon, since its not that strong. Constant updates from Steve/Dayuhan and Jakoguns helped a lot and I stayed positive.

Day 1 - Banaue to Talubin to Barlig

Here we are on the bus evening of Aug 16

Banaue at last

I was here last June 2012 and a few months after I'm here again, I just love the Cordilleras!

Coffee first

Breakfast

We started late, at 10am already. It was so hot at the start of the day in Banaue

I'm excited for Lester because its his first time biking in Banaue going to Mount Polis then Talubin

And since its Lester first time we had pictures taken, well I get excited everytime I go here so here are some:

Lester even had a mohawk cut just for the duration of the bike ride, since its not allowed at their workplace.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:35 AM
Bike Commuter

Manong, upon seeing us taking pictures, who was in sando and shorts, immediately changed costume for us. Whatta guy!

Still a long way to go

On the way to Mount Polis

Links
Old 08-30-2012, 03:43 AM
Bike Commuter

Chowtime!

then down to Talubin!

Ok sorry I dint bring any sports bra haha

Here we go, Talubin starting at approx 1000 masl

It will be our first time going thru this route:

As told by Steve and Jakoguns, the first 2 days of riding will be very hard, so I had my mindset for the almost unending uphills:

Old 08-30-2012, 03:47 AM
Bike Commuter

The view was amazing, as always in Cordillera, but to see that you have to pay the price of going uphill:

18 'Cordillera' kms away from Barlig, 18 kms in Manila is a piece of cake, but try biking up North and lets see how fast you can finish 18kms

We took our time, I took my time and biked at my own pace. All was bikeable, mostly fire roads.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:50 AM
Bike Commuter

It was getting darker and gloomy-er

I chose not to walk and rested when I felt like needed it, not that its prohibited to walk no pressure

Old 08-30-2012, 03:54 AM
Bike Commuter

Dark finally caught up on us and we eventually got to Barlig at exactly 7:45pm, registered at the Police Station and stayed at the Seaworld resto and inn, where we washed had a good meal

Its cheap, lodging is only PHP 120, here's Rod and Earl

here's me and Earl

Total Riding distance: approx 53 'cordillera' kms. (Banaue to Barlig)

Banaue elevation: 1097 MASL
Mount Polis elevation: 1900+ MASL
Talubin elevation: 1020 MASL (approx)
Barlig elevation: 1557 MASL (approx)

NOTE: When you are about 7 kms. away from Barlig, the highest elevation will be at approx 2021 MASL.

Banaue to Talubin road conditions: All paved/cemented

Talubin to Barlig road conditions: All trail, dirt road (when wet, of course fire road when dry )

Talubin to Barlig distance: approx 20 kms. about 13 kms. will be a merciless almost unending uphill.

This is day 1 of our ride. Tomorrow it will be going to Natonin. Thanks for reading and viewing the pictures.

Thank God we are safe.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:55 AM
Bike Commuter

Barlig to Natonin

We woke up to the foggy and beautiful rice terraces of Barlig:

A few more mins and the sun rose and added color to our shots

Breakfast!

each of use had our souvenir shots:

Old 08-30-2012, 04:00 AM
Bike Commuter

This is where we stayed:

We only payed about PHP 350 per person that includes food last night, lodging, breakfast today and even a packed lunch included

then off we went, bid our farewell to the Police and our host lodging We started at around 730am

Earl

Rod

It was mostly downhill going further (with a few short uphills) up until you reach the bridge going to Lias, then the climb starts:

Old 08-30-2012, 04:09 AM
Bike Commuter

Once you reach Lias, the climbs will be much tougher:

The Lias to Kadaklan climb will be a bit steeper as compared to the first part from the bridge

Its a good thing the weather was perfect, it was cloudy all day, no sight of the sun and it did not rain for most of the day

This is one very makunat uphill

Old 08-30-2012, 04:12 AM
Bike Commuter

The reward, great views, fresh air and healthier us

My bike Malaya

I guess we are that high already, whew!

It was almost noon and we got hungry, I asked the guys if we could have lunch here and the view was great:

Then after a few more mins. off we go again:

Old 08-30-2012, 04:14 AM
Bike Commuter

Then we saw this freaky looking building or chapel

Going up there we can see that it will be a few more rolling portions.

From this point its all going downhill going to Natonin

at last!

Old 08-30-2012, 04:17 AM
Bike Commuter

We finally reached Natonin

From this store it will still be 15 kms going downhill but this is already a part of Natonin

It started to drizzle when we got here

Finally, Natonin rice terraces, it started to rain hard already.

Breaktime! This is already in Natonin main town.

We arrived at 5pm (started at 730am) and registered immediately at the Police Station.

Total distance of the ride: approx 41 Cordillera kms. (Barlig to Natonin)

Barlig elevation: approx 1574 MASL
Highest elevation: approx 1861 MASL (about 18kms away from Barlig, this is in Kadaclan)
Natonin elevation: approx 963 MASL

Road conditions: Purely trails, usually wet ground, not very rocky and a few muddy portions only. Overall it was a great trail. Talubin to Barlig is still tougher but Barlig to Natonin is still no easy task.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:25 AM
Bike Commuter

Natonin to Paracelis to Tabuk

It rained the night before and since Natonin was lower than Barlig, when the rain stopped it was hot, maybe our bodies has not yet adjusted to the weather conditions here.

Natonin's elevation: approx 960-970 MASL

the view from our room

Morning views

Yup boys and girls may daan from Natonin to Aguinaldo

After having a hearty breakfast of instant noodles and scrambled eggs with pandesal, we bid goodbye to the town of Natonin and said our farewell passing through the Police station. Started at around 830am. It was mostly going downhill.

The start of the day it was so damn muddy, as in muddy, after the muddy part comes the very long downhill and some steep portions, our arms was quite jackhammered The downhill will be approx 10 kms. long starting from maintown of Natonin, the last 3 kms. will be quite steep so lower your seats if you're trigger happy on the brakes.

Only a few cemented roads (this shot is from Lester Earl)

The first few portions will be full of these, Shot by Earl. Rod allergic of the mud tried to shortcut but went to a trap.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:26 AM
Bike Commuter

Eto na pagbaba:

My 3 year old shoes na marami narin narating finally gave-in, pag sampa ko nadulas sa pedal sumabit sa swelas ayan!

Yours truly nagpapacute habang kunwari umiiyak

Enjoying the view

That's why its always to bring outdoor sandals as backup!

After the 10 kms. uphill will be a short 3 kms. uphill and afterwards will be a long downhill

I'm on sandals already all smiles again!

And off we go! Started out gloomy but as we were going down to Paracelis, its getting a bit sunny and sunny

Old 08-30-2012, 04:29 AM
Bike Commuter

Spectacular views never end

Hold it, hold it!

Old 08-30-2012, 04:36 AM
Bike Commuter

After the great view portions, will be the 12 kms. downhill And at last we reached the small town of Paracelis

Registered at the Police Station, and the usual questions, we told them that we are from Manila and we bike as tourists only
We reached Paracelis noon time

Lunch time!

Ewan kung sobrang pagod or gutom ito hehe

Boy mohawk Lester approves the lunch!

Old 08-30-2012, 04:37 AM
Bike Commuter

Yours truly, Cheers!

Then it rained

Eto muna while waiting for the rain to cease a bit

After Paracelis, the hard muddly rolling uphills will take its toll on you. Why rolling uphills? Lamang yun uphills haha ang haba ng uphills amputik pa ng ibang portions. This was the hardest part of the route but once you get passed this (which is about 15 kms. long), its all gradual and then flats na.

Lester's rear wheel axle was starting to have problems, thank God for floor wax

We passed thru lotsa corn fields

Like I said, there were long gradual steep uhpills and the mud made it harder, though it was all bikeable naman

Shot by Earl, that's me with my house on the back haha, balancing on the single track mud LOL

Links

Tags
banaue, barlig, bontoc, tabuk, tinglayan