PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > Brake System

Notices

Brake System Discuss tech help/info for: Hydraulics/Cables Disc Brakes System
Calipers, Rotors, Brake Lever and others related to Brake System.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 05-07-2012, 12:39 PM

Default Ice Tech Rotor compatibility

Good day po fellow PMTBikers! Need help on the following:

1. Last month i bought a 2012 XT groupset included na ung 160mm centerlock ice tech rotors but i was able to have a good deal with a certain 6 bolt hub recently and im planning to sell the rotors, my question is:

A. Are they compatible to non series shimano hydro brakes? Do they need an ice tech brake pads? The buyer of my rotors is asking kse he was told na hndi daw pwede.

B. as for my brakes, is it ok if i use an alligator windcutter and still use the brake pads installed with my xt?

Thank you very much po and hope you can assist me on this. Your opinion/suggestions really counts! Again maraming salamat at mabuhay ang PMTB!

Last edited by Sikadta; 05-07-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Grammar correction
Links
Old 05-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Bike Freak

Default Re: Ice Tech Rotor compatibility

usually the incompatibility is between the rotor and the hub. shimano's usually centerlock yan, while the majority are 6 bolt. so either palit ng hub or use an adapter (not sure kung meron).

on the calipers to rotor, wala pa naman ako naririnig na hindi pwede.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:54 PM
All-Mountain

An ice tech rotor works best with ice tech calipers. Check mo mabuti ang ice tech rotors, parang may naka sandwich sa gitna which is used to dissipate heat.

Mas maganda ata na ice tech din ang rotors na gagamitin mo to compensate with the ice tech capable calipers. IMHO lang po. :)
Old 05-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Thank u sir. Medyo napasubo kse ako sa hub na nabili ko 6 bolts sya. Somehow i can have the option to choose yung rotors ko but ung buyer kse ng rotor ko gus2 nya sama kaso daw he needs to buy an ice tech brake pad, does it really matter on what pads to use for ice tech rotors?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Global Moderator

A. AFAIK, regardless of the calipers, icetech rotors should be able to work on their own. ang alam ko kaya icetech, it's because the heat from the rotor gets dissipated early or easily kasi medyo nakalutang siya. the part where the rotor attaches itself to the hubs are not affected by the heat generated where the rotor contacts the brake pads.

as for shimano calipers with heat sinks, they should (in theory) work with any rotor. although the best combination would be using ice tech rotors with calipers on heat sink.

B. yep, dapat pwede, as long as they're of the same diameter.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaelo View Post
An ice tech rotor works best with ice tech calipers. Check mo mabuti ang ice tech rotors, parang may naka sandwich sa gitna which is used to dissipate heat.

Mas maganda ata na ice tech din ang rotors na gagamitin mo to compensate with the ice tech capable calipers. IMHO lang po. :)
Ayos! Thank you for the help po sir. Im planning kse to buy the 6 bolt alligator windcutter but i might reconsider of finding an ice tech 6 bolts. Mahirap kse d2 sa amin (iloilo) humanap ng 6bolt ice tech. Bka mag order pa yta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthrax76 View Post
A. AFAIK, regardless of the calipers, icetech rotors should be able to work on their own. ang alam ko kaya icetech, it's because the heat from the rotor gets dissipated early or easily kasi medyo nakalutang siya. the part where the rotor attaches itself to the hubs are not affected by the heat generated where the rotor contacts the brake pads.

as for shimano calipers with heat sinks, they should (in theory) work with any rotor. although the best combination would be using ice tech rotors with calipers on heat sink.

B. yep, dapat pwede, as long as they're of the same diameter.
Thank u sir anthrax. My buyer really wanted the rotors, non-series kse ung brake caliper nya...ung brake pad daw ung problem, what do you think is the recommended brake pads aside from ice tech pads?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:09 PM
All-Mountain

Quote:
it's because the heat from the rotor gets dissipated early or easily kasi medyo nakalutang siya.
@anthrax

I think medyo mali po ito...hindi po sya nakalutang. Eto po ang reason:

Quote:
the rotors have a 3-layer sandwich structure of an aluminum core and two stainless steel outer layers; due to the higher heat dissipation of aluminum it reduces the rotor surface temperature with around 100 degrees.
Taken from: http://www.sicklines.com/2011/02/14/...enchmark-test/
Old 05-07-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs View Post
usually the incompatibility is between the rotor and the hub. shimano's usually centerlock yan, while the majority are 6 bolt. so either palit ng hub or use an adapter (not sure kung meron).

on the calipers to rotor, wala pa naman ako naririnig na hindi pwede.
Thank you po sir, ill try to find an ice tech 6 bolts dito. I think our lbs will have to order pa in manila. Im planning to contact our lbs sponsors for a 180mm ice tech rotors. Any suggestions na mura ung price?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Global Moderator

@mikaelo, oops sorry about that, tama ito nga pala yung may aluminum insert between the stainless layer. i was thinking about floating rotors. thanks for the correction.

@Sikadta, any caliper will do...well since non-series hydros...get the brake fads that are fit for that. iba kasi ang shape ng calipers na kayang mag-accomodate ng brakepads na may heat sink. in theory, kahit anong brake pad pwede :)

btw, medyo mahal yung ice tech rotors na 6-bolt.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:15 PM
All-Mountain

@Sikadta

Since nasa Iloilo ka, perhaps iba ang lakaran ng mga LBS dyan as compared here. Sa Quiapo kasi, pwede ka magpapalit from centerlock to bolt-type na ice tech rotors free of charge as long as same rotor diameter ang ipapalit (brand new condition only).

Pero sabi mo nga, medyo pahirapan maghanap ng bolt-type na ice tech rotors dyan...malamang order basis nga ang mangyayari dyan. But for me, since naka ice tech calipers ka na naman...why not go ice tech all the way? :D

@anthrax

Pansin ko lang sir since dati akong naka SM-RT53 na non-series centerlock rotors (Resin Pad Only) on a non-series mechanical disc brakeset. Nung mag upgrade ako to XT groupset since naka Ice Tech na ang Brake system ko parang iba ang feel ng rotor surface (SM-RT81-S) ngayon...parang mas magaspang sa pakiramdam ko.

Now with this observation, hindi kaya mas bagay sa non-series hydraulics ang RT53 as compared to RT81? Hindi kaya mas mabilis mauubos ang pads nung non-series hydros pag yung RT81 ang ginamit nya? :)
Old 05-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Single-Speeder

puwede ba yung icetech rotors kahit deore lang ang calipers?
Old 05-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Global Moderator

@jdg...yes of course...gusto mo kahit ibang brand pa ng caliper eh :)

@Mikaelo, err...no idea on that one. hindi kasi ako gumagamit ng new techs pagdating sa bike eh. i have yet get a feel of the brakes i'm using now. nasanay ako masyado sa tektro. anyway, try mo kung katagalan magaspang pa rin, you could be just feeling the burn in period of your brakes. pero kung matagal na tapos ganyan pa rin ang feel..magaspang...you might want to have it checked at baka madumi ang pads or ganun nga ba siya talaga dapat.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaelo View Post
@Sikadta

Since nasa Iloilo ka, perhaps iba ang lakaran ng mga LBS dyan as compared here. Sa Quiapo kasi, pwede ka magpapalit from centerlock to bolt-type na ice tech rotors free of charge as long as same rotor diameter ang ipapalit (brand new condition only).

Pero sabi mo nga, medyo pahirapan maghanap ng bolt-type na ice tech rotors dyan...malamang order basis nga ang mangyayari dyan. But for me, since naka ice tech calipers ka na naman...why not go ice tech all the way? :D

@anthrax

Pansin ko lang sir since dati akong naka SM-RT53 na non-series centerlock rotors (Resin Pad Only) on a non-series mechanical disc brakeset. Nung mag upgrade ako to XT groupset since naka Ice Tech na ang Brake system ko parang iba ang feel ng rotor surface (SM-RT81-S) ngayon...parang mas magaspang sa pakiramdam ko.

Now with this observation, hindi kaya mas bagay sa non-series hydraulics ang RT53 as compared to RT81? Hindi kaya mas mabilis mauubos ang pads nung non-series hydros pag yung RT81 ang ginamit nya? :)
Actually sir, ice tech young gusto k pero 6 bolts ung hub ko na binili. Try ko kausapin ung lbs namin dito kung pwede ma swap. Tnx ulit.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Bike Commuter

@TS makikiride sa thread mo ha rather than making new thread.. Thanks!

I upgraded my stock tektro brakes to xt..
My concern was can i use my tektro rotor? My concern is baka maubos agad yung pads ko. Parang i read somewhere na ganun mangyayari,cant find the thread..
Wala pa kasi ako maibili ng ice tech rotors..
Old 05-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Global Moderator

@everything, depende sa klase ng pads. merong pads na mabilis ng maubos ng certain types of rotors....but the tradeoff is malakas ang brakes mo :)
Links
Old 05-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Bike Commuter

@sir anthrax
I have to find it for myself pala if compatible sila hehe
Resin pads ata nakuha ko yung my fins.. Yung metalic ata wala fins..
Medyo mahal din pala pads nito 2k pair,need talaga pagipunan ang ice tech rotor..huhu
Old 05-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Global Moderator

question is...kailangan mo nga ba ng icetech? do you brake that hard? sabagay limited ang experience ko sa long downhills, pero with the right technique never naman ako nagkaroon ng brake fade. yung el cheapo Tektro Io ko nga nakakababa ng The Wall without problems, it's a 12 year old brake, pads lang ang pinapalitan ko.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Bike Commuter

@sir anthrax
If uubusin ng stock rotor ko ang xt pads then i definitely need to change to ice tech..
And thats for me to find out hehe..
Thank you sir..
Old 05-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Lurker

I had purchased the same group set about 6 weeks ago. While my bike was being built, the wheel set I purchased were 6 bolt and the only Shimano Ice Tech rotors they had were center lock. Not understanding the technology, I went with a different brand of rotor. While the brakes worked, I did not like them on the long steep down hills to the point where the rotors got so hot; I could not slow down sufficiently. So off to the store I went to buy different rotors. The name of the 2nd brand escapes me at the moment but suffice it to say, off to the store I went to buy the Ice Tech rotors I should have bought in the first place.

While I have only the front rotor installed so far (cant find a rear adaptor for the 180mm I went with) I do notice a huge difference in the performance of the brake. I am looking forward to getting the rear installed in the next day or two.

Still cant explain all the resaons why, we all know our bikes and how we want them to perform and up until this past weekend, the brakes were my only issue with the 2012 group set.

Question to the group, when I bought the 2nd set of rotors, the LBS recommended 180 front and 160 rear but he could not tell me why. I assumed it was because he did not have 2 180mm in stock... is there a technical reason for a larger front rotor?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Global Moderator

the stronger brake is the front, and having 180 up front and 160 at the rear is (although not common) an accepted setup. since you'll be braking more in front than the rear so you need your front rotor to be bigger so it doesn't heat up fast and it can handle more braking forces.

just be sure your fork is capable of that larger diameter rotor. i once saw a disc tab get ripped off because a larger rotor was installed and the fork was not designed to operate with a rotor that big.
Links

Tags
acera, centerlock, rotors