PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Folding Bikes

Folding Bikes Discussion for Folding Bikes

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store MT Pro Bikes Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports ISOLINK Mtb Suspension System Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano Business Venture 888 - 12 O'Clock Bike Components Parts and Accessories.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:05 PM

Default Dahon Hammerhead Now Or Dahon Tern Bikes

Hi to all!

There is a clearance sale c/o Junni for the Dahon Hammerhead , from 62k they are now offering it at 47k. Will I grab this or should I wait for the launch of Tern Bikes? With this amount I could probably afford a Tern Link model.

Currently I only have a Flamingo London bike where for the last 2 months Im only averaging 15-20 kms per weekend . Usually either at UP lang or at QC Circle.

I remember I fell in love with the Dahon Hammerhead at Iron Bike Araneta when I first saw it 3 months ago. But I felt guilty that 62k is a rather big amount for a first bike and I wasn't sure then if ma sustain ko ang interest ko with biking.

Now I think kaya ako hindi makalayo with biking is because of the size 16 Flamingo . ( maybe im also in denial na kaya ako mahina since once a aweek lang ang biking ko)

So my first question is - Will my travel distance improve with the Hammerhead ( being a size 20) ?

I will not sell the Flamingo. Ganda talaga sya for the fold and for being used by my son for some errands.

My second question - Should i let go of my first love and wait for the Tern bikes by June? Di kaya magsisi ako na baka may mas ok na model for me na Tern bike?

Third and last question - In case i buy the Dahon Hammerhead and find out that " we are not matched" , madali ba ito mabenta?

I am hoping the experts reading this may help me.

Thanks in advance!

Links
Old 04-24-2012, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Dahon Hammerhead Now Or Wait for Tern Bikes by June

Hi! I own a Giant expressway and without batting an eyelash and solely for the looks I would buy the latest iteration of the Hammerhead if I have the moolah for it! It looks more like a "proper" bike though it's a folder. The Hammerhead and the Tyrell FX are is/are probably my next bike(s).

I think you and the Hammerhead will be a good match. If it doesn't work out, you can always sell it to me at half the original cost! Good luck sir! and keep us updated!

Old 04-25-2012, 01:23 PM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruJuga View Post
Hi to all!

There is a clearance sale c/o Junni for the Dahon Hammerhead , from 62k they are now offering it at 47k. Will I grab this or should I wait for the launch of Tern Bikes? With this amount I could probably afford a Tern Link model.
With that amount (P47k) you can already get yourself a Tern Link P9.

Quote:
Currently I only have a Flamingo London bike where for the last 2 months Im only averaging 15-20 kms per weekend . Usually either at UP lang or at QC Circle.
I think your 20km a week is just fine. Ako I average around 40-60km lang per week (take note araw araw akong angba bike commute) kasi malimit umulan ngayon dito. Well gaya mo, I'm also wanting a longer saddle time. Longer saddle time means longer distance to travel. At kung malayuan ang byahe kakailanganin ko talaga ng "gears".

Quote:
I remember I fell in love with the Dahon Hammerhead at Iron Bike Araneta when I first saw it 3 months ago. But I felt guilty that 62k is a rather big amount for a first bike and I wasn't sure then if ma sustain ko ang interest ko with biking.

Now I think kaya ako hindi makalayo with biking is because of the size 16 Flamingo . ( maybe im also in denial na kaya ako mahina since once a aweek lang ang biking ko)

So my first question is - Will my travel distance improve with the Hammerhead ( being a size 20) ?
Definitely. Hammerhead is a performance folding bike. With its 18 speed and only weighs 9+kg, that’s one killer bike.

You cannot go far with smaller wheels & upright position – masakit ito sa butt. Kasi lahat ng weight mo nasa saddle lang so you can imagine halimbawang 2 oras kang nakaupo sa saddle. Kahit naka brooks ka pa mangangawit ka pa rin kakaupo. Kaya kung mapapansin mo ang roadies at touring cyclists, they use dropbars so as to put them in an aerodynamic position and that would also result in proper weight distribution (saddle, handlebars and pedals).

Quote:
I will not sell the Flamingo. Ganda talaga sya for the fold and for being used by my son for some errands.
Yup, better keep it for future relax/family/recreational rides.

Quote:
My second question - Should i let go of my first love and wait for the Tern bikes by June? Di kaya magsisi ako na baka may mas ok na model for me na Tern bike?
Tern is the new Dahon (Dahon’s R&D, Sales & Marketing, Production Teams are now in Tern). Tern has improved the already good brand. I’ve already seen Tern in flesh from 2 LBSs near me and their (Tern) lines are noticeably better than the other. My LBS’ also carrying Dahon bikes so I compared the Mu SL to Verge X10. Components-wise, hindi sila nagpapanlayo. But I would choose the X10 kasi Tern use mostly standard parts & components. The Mu SL is lighter (8.9kg) though pero ang disadvantage naman ng sobrang gaan na bike ay maaabsorb mo lahat ng vibration – in other words, matatagtag ka kung gagamitin mo ang superlight bike sa long ride. Anyway, these arent the bikes in question. Hehehe. Oh and one more thing, Dahon had negative reputation in terms of customer service support. And the Hammerhead is a product of Josh Hon’s Team (Dahon Global / Tern). If you ever encounter prblems with it, would Dahon North America / China be able to service it. I’m not sure though if the Hammerhead used proprietary parts coz if it does then you might have problems later on.

Quote:
Third and last question - In case i buy the Dahon Hammerhead and find out that " we are not matched" , madali ba ito mabenta?

I am hoping the experts reading this may help me.

Thanks in advance!
Hmm, I don’t know. Siguro maibebenta mo kasi magandang bike naman ito.

Hindi ba nagpapa-test ride ang bike shop na pagbibilhan mo? Try it first at mararamdaman mo naman kung comfortable ka o hindi.

Btw, I’m a non expert in the folding bike scene ha, just airing some thoughts here. well, which ever bike you end up getting, just enjoy and have a great ride ahead.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Cross-country

Quote:
Hi to all!

Hindi ba kasama sa clearance sale ito, Dahon Speed Pro?

Old 04-27-2012, 11:13 AM

wait for the tern bikes to arrived. ako i'm dreaming to have a verge P18

Old 04-27-2012, 11:52 AM

agree ako kay sir @gamol51.... wallpaper ko na si tern verge p18! almost a week ko na syang tinititigan LOL! excited na ko to have my first own bike, ayaw ko na magbrowse dami kong nakikitang magaganda,hehehe

Old 04-27-2012, 01:45 PM

Good day!

Thanks for all the replies!

@amf - yes the Hammerhead looks like a "proper bike" , kaya nga type ko din

@wheeliam - thanks, you sound like an expert and i think im right ;-)..pag nasa Manila ka coffee tayo sagot ko!

@swordsman - what i saw was the MU EX , worth 107k nga lang ;-(

@gamol51 - sir, ganda nga ng Verge P18 kaso mas mahal na talaga yun

Tern prices ( I saw at Facebook ) -

Verge X30h S Grey/Yellow - $3199
Verge x20 s Black/Red - $4699
Verge x10 White/Orange - $2888
Verge S11i Black/Silver - $3199
Verge Duo - $1399
Verge P18 White/Red - $1800
Link P9 Black/Red - $1350
Link P24h Black/Green - $1500
Link D8 White/Yellow - $899

- Kaya nga with my predicament, mukhang mahal pa rin even the Link P9 @ Php59,980 at today's conversion rate.

Anyway, I went to Junni yesterday and these are my thoughts with the Hammerhead:

(+)'s
- ganda
- magaan
- 25% discount
- good components as per sales staff ( not familiar with the brands )

(-)'s
- last two units , both display units since launch;
- when the time comes when you have to replace the tires ( Kojak ) wala na daw with the original one with red stripe ( in my opinion eto yun nag paganda sa porma nya;
- medyo malaki pa rin after being folded, i doubt pag kotse lang dala ko di sila kasya na dalawa sa trunk with my Flamingo in case mag bike din anak ko;

So there, I left the store still undecided.

The manager ( aka the wifey :-) ) said 3 months and another bike again?!?! I said the Flamingo pag may dala kami car going to UP during weekends at SANA yun Hammerhead pag ako lang mag isa galing house papunta kung saan saan :-)

Admittedly, its a WANT and not a NEED.

Haaay!

BTW, according to Junni , they have sold 13 units of the Hammerhead. Sana someone of the 13 owners gets to read this post and give inputs.

Thanks guys!

Old 04-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Lurker

^ hi sir, i think you saw the price in Tern Bicycle Singapore...that's Singapore dollar rate.

The rate in the U.S. for tern folding bikes are:

Verge X30h S Grey/Yellow - $2000
Verge x20 s Black/Red - $3000
Verge x10 White/Orange - $1800
Verge S11i Black/Silver - $2000
Verge Duo - $1000
Link P9 Black/Red - $900
Link D8 White/Yellow - $600

U.S. Distributor http://www.nycewheels.com/tern-folding-bikes.html

By the way, anong name ng shop at location kung saan i la launch ang Tern? TIA

Saan po yung junnis and number ng shop nila?

Para hindi O.T. i will go for TERN, better quality, better design and the best folding bike right now...

Old 04-27-2012, 03:44 PM
All-Mountain

and here's the US prices (i.e. Link P9 is US$900 or PHP38,215) from Tern's website:
http://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/link-p9

Kung tama yung conversion ko, lalabas na me sukli pa yung P47k.

What I like about Tern aside sa looks and design of their bikes is their customer service at parts availability. They make sure na kapag nag-ship sila ng mga bike sa distributors kasama na rin dito ang parts for service and replacement. Well sana magtuluy-tuloy ito at hindi lang sa umpisa.

Para sa akin, Tern lines are worth the wait. Pero talking about P9, I'm not sure if this is what you really need. Yung Hammerhead kasi is built for fast & longer rides not like P9, intended ito for commuting and light touring only.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:01 PM

@Zack

ah ok! thanks for correcting my newbie mistake tsk tsk .... so sir wheeliam was right na parity na halos ng price ang Hammerhead at Link P9...

Sir, Junni Industries - dealer ng Dahon and soon the Tern, Tel# is 3868056, they are located along Quezon Ave, if you're coming from the North, take EDSA then right turn sa Quezon Ave then look for HSBC building (though you have to park at the basement since exclusive for the bank ang front parking. HTH

-

Back to my problem, yes its ok to wait for Tern, but my situation is I have a Flamingo (16") bike already. My thought is having the Hammerhead as my 2nd bike would be nice since I read from somewhere that although it can be folded, it can "simulate proper bike feel" because it has two tubes ( pls someone tell me if this is true)

As an analogy, kung sa firearms, parang I have an EDC na pistol with the Flamingo and for 500-1000 rounds in the range meron naman akong Hammerhead. ( sorry , this is my selling proposition to the wifey AKA Manager :-) )

Looks like biased na ako sa Hammerhead...Hmmm

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Cross-country

available na daw sa Junni's ung Tern. eto hinihintay ko. kaso tagal ng paghihintay ung ipon napunta sa LED TV at ACU. ipon mode ulit. haha!

@gamol51
sir jay, baka available ung verge p18 na dream mo. hanggang link p9 lng cguro ako.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:02 PM

just bought a Tern Verge X10 yesterday...............classic, beautiful and fast
they are now available, until supplies last

Old 06-19-2012, 12:25 PM

kyxz: Nice folder!!! Where did you get it and for how much? A Bike Shop sells it for P77.8K. Pretty steep. Thanks!

Old 06-19-2012, 01:12 PM

got it from Glourious Ride, discounts given at the shop
but the price is lower that the one you quoted
i learned that most of the stocks were reserved
so i hurried to get the only one that available............
hard to wait for other stocks, they stock only a few

Last edited by kyxz; 06-19-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-19-2012, 01:17 PM
PMTB Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyxz View Post
just bought a Tern Verge X10 yesterday...............classic, beautiful and fast
they are now available, until supplies last
Can you kindly oblige us by posting several pictures of your Tern Verge X10 in "Transformers: Revenge of the Folding" this Folding Bikes thread?

Thank you sir kyxz.

Links
Old 06-19-2012, 01:21 PM

yes sir...will do
just following the footsteps of sir Rocky
hoping to join your legendary folder treks
as we get older we need to get active

Old 06-22-2012, 02:24 PM

TernVerge X10 pictures posted...at Revenge of the Folding

Old 06-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Lurker

Bought my Tern VergeX10 last Friday. It was the last unit from Glorious, and of the 10 that arrived in the country.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

Old 06-26-2012, 12:29 AM
PMTB Idol

Looking forward to the day when I will fly home only to be invited by kyxz and DECROIX to make ikot-ikot around UP Oval. They on Tern Verge X10. Moi on Dahon Vector X10.

It must be a novelty to watch three senior bikers roaming like kids again riding three very colorful, light, speedy Josh Hon`s folding bikes around UP Campus.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:40 AM

[quote]ooking forward to the day when I will fly home only to be invited by kyxz and DECROIX to make ikot-ikot around UP Oval. They on Tern Verge X10. Moi on Dahon Vector X10.

It must be a novelty to watch three senior bikers roaming like kids again riding three very colorful, light, speedy Josh Hon`s folding bikes around UP Campus.

im looking forward to that day....................vector/verge X10 times 3
or we can search for other vector / verge x10 owners....eb runs

Last edited by kyxz; 06-26-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: addtl info
Links