PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Single Speeder, 29ers & 69ers

Notices

Single Speeder, 29ers & 69ers For 29ers, 69ers and Single Speeder Fanatics

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 09-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Downhiller

Default Re: Single-speed chains

@jcatienza

Beep! Beep!

Sorry, I didn't mean to be too direct. It's just that sometimes you have to step back to see the difference between bling and functionality. And often times, the gap between the two is separated by a few hundred Pesoses.
Links
Old 09-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Cross-country

@xctrekker - no worries man, I know what you mean hehe
Old 09-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Bike Commuter

Arrow Re: Single-speed chains

[quote=jcatienza;210118]@dirtyjane
apologies, havnt been logging regularly for a bit. can you give me the details of the chain(model), where and when you bought it, and what is the chainring and cog width you are using? will try to help if I can

bro bought the chain 3 mos ago and after using it for i week it broke. bought it at decimal in quiapo for 600 php. kmc k-7j un model. i am using a modified bmx chainring and a surly cog. un mga aluminum chainring and cogs hindi ksi tumatagal sakin. also noticed air bubles where the plate broke...malamang defect sa metal. here are pictures of my drivetrain. so far no problems.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Cross-country

@dirtyjane - sayang bro, di ata sa akin galing yan. its an authentic kmc though, old model circa mid 90's

nice setup, btw.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Downhiller

Default Re: Best Chain for SS set up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doy View Post
A side note for IG users, if you cut your chain use a shimano driving rivet which changes the pin to a new one, I've had great success with IGs a pack of 3 pins cost about Php 80 so instead of press fitting an old pin use a new one instead, plus it helps mark the location of where you cut last and helps you plan your next chain break so it is not so near the last location you broke it at.

I always treat chains as consumables like brake pads and other things that wear, this is why when your chain has grown well beyond its useful life don't hesitate to dispose of it or recycle it.
DOY, where are these available (the pins)? i'ved used IG, HG, and one time an old recycled Connex. everytime i cut a chain i just press the old pin back to place with a Vise Grip just to make sure it's inserted properly and that it doesn't gash the plate, cause thats where it will break most. then i finish the job by centering the pin with a chain cutting tool.

BTW, when cleaning my SS chains i just cut it anywhere because i don't use the pin without the mark again. is this a bad praCtice? that's why i'm not comfy pedalling while standing on my SS, so far i haven't broken a chain with my attitude.

thanks for any input DOY.
Links
Old 09-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Cross-country

Default Re: Best Chain for SS set up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
DOY, where are these available (the pins)? i'ved used IG, HG, and one time an old recycled Connex. everytime i cut a chain i just press the old pin back to place with a Vise Grip just to make sure it's inserted properly and that it doesn't gash the plate, cause thats where it will break most. then i finish the job by centering the pin with a chain cutting tool.

BTW, when cleaning my SS chains i just cut it anywhere because i don't use the pin without the mark again. is this a bad praCtice? that's why i'm not comfy pedalling while standing on my SS, so far i haven't broken a chain with my attitude.

thanks for any input DOY.
sa cycle options meron yan Bob

....and if you get a Topeak Alien series, there's a nifty pin holder at the bottom
Old 09-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Downhiller

@ Bob and Doy, parang talk show

Sensible suggestion from both of you.

Another culprit is when mechanics breaks our chain, they do it at the original connecting pin which have a bigger end thus making hole of the link much bigger. As you said dont break near the orig connecting pin.

And most mechs too dont know how to use the chain breaker much more non mechanics. There are two rows or lines where we place the chain for breaking and reattaching. We put it farther from the chain tool pin to break and reaattach but we must use the one nearer to the pin to loosen the tight link.

Ang problema kasi ay pag attach ng pin ay matigas ang kapit kaya pinipilipit ng kamay or pliers, making the pin loose.

Merong gamit yung mga linya ng chain tool.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:15 AM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
@ Bob and Doy, parang talk show

Sensible suggestion from both of you.

Another culprit is when mechanics breaks our chain, they do it at the original connecting pin which have a bigger end thus making hole of the link much bigger. As you said dont break near the orig connecting pin.

And most mechs too dont know how to use the chain breaker much more non mechanics. There are two rows or lines where we place the chain for breaking and reattaching. We put it farther from the chain tool pin to break and reaattach but we must use the one nearer to the pin to loosen the tight link.

Ang problema kasi ay pag attach ng pin ay matigas ang kapit kaya pinipilipit ng kamay or pliers, making the pin loose.

Merong gamit yung mga linya ng chain tool.
jan, salamat at nauna kang sumagot kay DOY. been a long time ey! papasyalan ko yan if i'm within the area.

ENZO, tagal ko ng iniisip kung bakit dalawa ang canal ng chain tool na yan. yun pala ang bisa noon. Bagito pa rin ako and i admit it.
may excuse pala ako walang instruction manual yun chain cutting tool ko.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Downhiller

Bob,

After more than 3,000 chain broken and reattached, saka ko lang narealize ang bisa nun.

plais lang ang ginagamit ko at minsan lumuluwag ulit. Wala ngang instruction ang tool na yan.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:07 AM

baka may alam kayo na nabibilhan ng half link na pwede sa shimano 9 speed chain. pa post naman.
Links

Tags
chain, chainring, cogs, single speed, sliding