PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Single Speeder, 29ers & 69ers

Notices

Single Speeder, 29ers & 69ers For 29ers, 69ers and Single Speeder Fanatics

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 08-10-2009, 12:48 PM

Default Best Chain for SS set up?

Hi guys! I'll be setting up my second SS after selling the first one. So far I have everything I need but the chain. When I ask around I get various answers about what to use. Some say BMX chains are best, some say old 7speed chains are nice to use because they're thick and some say that XT and above chains are nice to use because of the weight. Thought I'd check in with the experts here. Ano po ba talaga ang magandang gamitin. I'll be using Truvativ Stylo Cranks with a 32T chainring with a Surly 20T cog in the back. And yes, it will be a 29er. TIA!!
Links
Old 08-10-2009, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Best Chain for SS set up?

YBN(taiwan) halflink chain works well for my SS ride(no tensioner), got it at 850pesos with many colors to choose from...HTH!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:15 PM

best so far, for me

kmc k810 single speed chain - 3/32, tough as hell

some pics,
together with my ex shimano IG51

Old 08-10-2009, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the replies so far Sirs!! Saan po nabibili? Btw, I'll be setting up a frame with sliding drop-outs so chain tension can be adjusted from there. Thanks again!
Old 08-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Bike Commuter

Arrow Re: Single-speed chains

i also bought a kmc k-7J chain, it is similar to the ones on the previous posts, the only difference is that not all the plates are stamped with the K and some have SP stamped on them..anyways just take a look at what happened to the chain on my first test ride at mckinely.... remember the chain is just a week old. i believe it is just a defect. go figure?

everything is spot on, i have using the bike for a year o so now and recently i decided for no reason to change the chain. palit kadena lang talaga.

what do you think? defect or something else?

i am still using the chain, so far it is still going strong.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:23 AM
All-Mountain

Default Re: Single-speed chains

IMHO, Shimano IGs are still the best, dirt cheap not so heavy specially IG 71s and by far when set up properly will hold quite a bit of torque, I tinker with my bikes a lot and for my single speeds I have used a set of three IG 51s that have been cut and reattached several times at different points. Since single speeders have a single chainline (provided it is properly aligned) the chain should last you a god long while before you need changing from elongation (chain growth). I find BMX 1/8 chains way too noisy on conversions specifically if you are using rings and cogs made for 3/32. Though an SS specific driveline is preferred,the Shimano IG is way cheaper than most high end SS chains and it still does the job.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Downhiller

KMC for me.
Have used Shimano HG and IGs. 5 times na ata ako humiga sa not so steep climbs (Mckinley once, Aurora 3 times, Licao once) dahil sa biglang naputol na chain. Di ko lang alam kung dahil sa candle wax lang o kaya singer oil lang ang ginagamit ko sa chain kay amadali maputol. (may kinalamanan ba yun?)
Medyo mabigat lang SS specific chains pero di ko pa naranasan mapatidan, knock on wood, tok tok.
And btw Im currently using a second hand KMC chain from Hyperion. Bombproof.

Ikaw na naman?!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:44 AM
PMTB Mentor

+1 kay rye....KMC (SS) chains, bombproof IMHO
Old 08-11-2009, 09:57 AM

lumawlaw sa akin ang IG51
after a year and a half of abuse (kuno)
80% dun trail ride

may kasama din ako gumamit ng IG
naputulan din, di pa ganun katagal nagagamit

yes they are cheap,
they also look cheap.

IG51 - p250
kmc k810 - p500

konti lang naman, san ka pa
Old 08-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Downhiller

SS specific chains like those KMCs pictured above are just niche-marketing gimmicks designed to make you spend more. They just look nice. But they offer no technical advantage over regular BMX chains- if you prefer wide, non-shifter chains. And yes, you can also use narrow chains like the IG series. If you have a used one from your derailleured bike, use that and be several hundred Pesos richer.
Links
Old 08-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Downhiller

I agree din.
Mas tipid talaga if you just use your existing chain.
But BMX chains are sometimes too wide for the cogs and mas maingay pag pinepedal na and may post problems if used sa ibang tensioner's jockey wheel(sumasabit). This KMC chains or any other SS specific are the size between a regular bmx and regular mtb chains. Di ko lang sure exact technical details, second hand lang binili ko for 100 petots eh.
Maybe its just a matter of preference and peace of mind.

Ikaw na naman?!
Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Bike Commuter

I just built my rigid SS commuter, pinabuo ko lang sa maliit na bikeshop along C.P. Garcia in U.P. I asked if they have used chains and they showed me 3 sets of chains. Pinili ko lang yung pinaka mataba. Don't even know what brand kase sobrang dumi. Ok naman until now.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhoy View Post
YBN(taiwan) halflink chain works well for my SS ride(no tensioner), got it at 850pesos with many colors to choose from...HTH!
sir, san po ako makakabili nito? naka ss din po ako na pang dirt jump.umaangal lagi ang IG chains?at naputulan nako ng isang beses. I was planning to use a BMX chain.Ung bagay po sa fireeye ss kit. thanks po!
Old 08-12-2009, 02:14 AM
All-Mountain

A side note for IG users, if you cut your chain use a shimano driving rivet which changes the pin to a new one, I've had great success with IGs a pack of 3 pins cost about Php 80 so instead of press fitting an old pin use a new one instead, plus it helps mark the location of where you cut last and helps you plan your next chain break so it is not so near the last location you broke it at.

I always treat chains as consumables like brake pads and other things that wear, this is why when your chain has grown well beyond its useful life don't hesitate to dispose of it or recycle it.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:09 PM
Cross-country

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyJane View Post
i also bought a kmc k-7J chain, it is similar to the ones on the previous posts, the only difference is that not all the plates are stamped with the K and some have SP stamped on them..anyways just take a look at what happened to the chain on my first test ride at mckinely.... remember the chain is just a week old. i believe it is just a defect. go figure?

everything is spot on, i have using the bike for a year o so now and recently i decided for no reason to change the chain. palit kadena lang talaga.

what do you think? defect or something else?

i am still using the chain, so far it is still going strong.
@dirtyjane
apologies, havnt been logging regularly for a bit. can you give me the details of the chain(model), where and when you bought it, and what is the chainring and cog width you are using? will try to help if I can

@xctrekker
arayku po, busina ka naman ng kaunti (unti lang = )

@lordpaulo
sorry talaga sir, recent lang ako nag bro browse ng forum. the item you bought is a Z series kaya Z ang stamp. hopefully you paid lesser for those than the K700 or K800 series.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:28 PM
Freeride

To jcatienza: Thanks for the reconfirmation. I was confirmed some time ago that it's the real thing. A few links indeed has the "KMC" stamp. Yup, I paid lesser than them locally bought K-series chain; around 250-300 pesos equiv. 'ata. Filler sa logistics actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
sir, san po ako makakabili nito? naka ss din po ako na pang dirt jump.umaangal lagi ang IG chains?at naputulan nako ng isang beses. I was planning to use a BMX chain.Ung bagay po sa fireeye ss kit. thanks po!
Nabili ko sa T&R Cartimar about the same price range as mentioned above. Got the blue one. Alternatively, meron sa Paulina's, "Spank" 'yung brand, "Tweet tweet" 'yung model. Surpasses the 1000-peso mark though. Different colors din. Tried this type of chain (half-links, YBN) lang kasi nag-try ako magkabit ng 32x18T combo. Unfortunately, 'di rin lapat kahit half-linked pa.

YBN MK-918 chain on a 32x13T 29'er

I find though the YBN to stretch more easily than the KMC. My KMC chain has experienced more uphills and sprints on my 32x18, 32x16, 32x13T 26'er AND I've used them for a while on my 32x13T 29'er. On the other hand, the YBN has been used only for about 2 months (32x18 and 32x13T lang) and it's been showing more slack on the chain tension (see image above). Is this could be because of the brand or because the YBN is composed of half-links?
Old 09-01-2009, 01:27 PM
All-Mountain

been using a kmc SS chain for almost two years now... so far so good... linis lang palagi hehehe
Old 09-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Bike Commuter

im using a 21T cog from an 8-speed cassette..
and a 38T chainring (not ss specific)..
and currently using an IG chain..
no tensioner setup..
is it ok to use a 1/2 x 1/8 ss chain to this setup?
ang length ba ng isang ss chain link is the same lang sa isang IG chain link? posible bang kekelanganin ko ng tensioner if papalitan ko to ss chain?
im eyeing on a KMC ss chain colored red..
matibay ba to?
di ba madaling natatanggal yung color sa chain?
Old 09-07-2009, 02:39 AM
Cross-country

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post
im using a 21T cog from an 8-speed cassette..
and a 38T chainring (not ss specific)..
and currently using an IG chain..
no tensioner setup..
is it ok to use a 1/2 x 1/8 ss chain to this setup?
ang length ba ng isang ss chain link is the same lang sa isang IG chain link? posible bang kekelanganin ko ng tensioner if papalitan ko to ss chain?
im eyeing on a KMC ss chain colored red..
matibay ba to?
di ba madaling natatanggal yung color sa chain?
too wide sir, use a narrower chain. regretfully, it wont be perfect as the cog & chainring are ramped.

the color will fade eventually. get a silver one, should maintain its color longer. good luck.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:03 PM

kmc kool chain works for me...dito ko din nabasa sa pmtb un..thanks
Links

Tags
chain, chainring, cogs, single speed, sliding