PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions

Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions For newbies who wanted to ask any info on mountainbiking stuff.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store MT Pro Bikes Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports ISOLINK Mtb Suspension System Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano Business Venture 888 - 12 O'Clock Bike Components Parts and Accessories.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Bike Fanatic

Default Re: Giant vs Trek vs Merida (Full Sus)

where you'll find an easier time in differentiating is the riding position. . . you'll be more upright in a similarly sized built trance than on an anthem

Old 03-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Bike Commuter

I was in a similar dilemna few yrs back. I always wanted an Anthem..since its the competition line of Giant..and it has the lightest frame in the FS category. However, then the time came that i had to buy one...the finish/color which i wanted was not available in that year..it was only available in the Trance..

So I had to do a quick research on the difference of the two..i was suprised that there is little difference. which Xtyling has pointed out already.

And since i really do not do much competition...or will not intend to be a weight weenie someday...and I only wanted a 'Trail' bike which should be tough enough like a tank.

And so i got myself a Trance X1. Its even sexier than the Anthem..

Old 05-02-2012, 07:58 PM

Sirs,

I find the thread very useful. I am in the same dilemma now in choosing a bike. Pero nadagdagan ako ng options when I saw the specialized...

I hope you could also help me.

BTT: Among the three options here, I am inclined towards the Trance x2. :-)

Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Freeride

Default Re: Giant vs Trek vs Merida (Full Suspension)

Ako gusto kong trek fuel ex.Technologies like DRCV and full floater makes trek my top choice.Siguro next ko na gusto merida,Matibay rin kasi.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Bike Fanatic

Generally speaking, the suspension design of Trek (plus the DRCV shock) is plusher but may tend to bob more under hard pedalling. Maestro has the most efficient design - least amount of movement under pedalling but may be a little less plush. If you are a lightweight, the Fuel EX may offer the best of both worlds. If you're on the heavier side, the Maestro may give a more bob-free ride while still being reasonably plush. In FS bikes, rider size, style and application influence bike choice a lot more than hardtails. You can't really say for sure until you ride one yourself. The favorite bike of other riders won't always work for you. Everybody is built differently and rides differently. We also get our kicks from different things.

Personally I would choose Giant because of the suspension design. Anthem if you're cross country and Trance if you like to do some drops and jumps within reason. For my own application, I chose a different brand based on suspension design and geometry.

- Just pick one and get the most out of it. Later on, budget permitting, you'll be equipped with better knowledge and experience to choose a bike on your own.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Cross-country

Trance x2 vs Anthem x2 ... its always nice to have an extra inch... LOL

These where both my choices. The only problem was that the Anthem x2 had a higher price tag and I liked the relaxed geometry of the trance x2 since I don't plan to race naman.

So what I did is I bought the trance x2 and used the extra cash from the price difference to buy some hope hubs and upgraded the wheelset to reduce the total weight by 0.5kgs . Just got mine last January.

Sorry I can't comment on the difference with the other MTBs mentioned since Im new to the sport and this is my first MTB.

If anything they are both solid choices and you won't go wrong with any of them.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Downhiller

I wonder if zeetyun have already made his choice, if not, go for Trance X. I have used this as my all around ride be it long asphalt road, or tricky, rocky and muddy terrain.
even if my float r rear shock doesnt have a lockout option for all that climbing (victoria in daang hari or cardiac in silang) bobbing is nearly unnoticed thus saving precious energy. just replaced the wheelset and some components and you'll achieved a decent weight to compensate.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:59 AM

Yes, I was also wondering what zeetyun has purchased...

on another note, you might want to advise me also (as posted in another thread), hehe... confused on two things, a 26 or a 29er... plus thinking about giant, merida and other brands too. :-) thanks.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Bike Commuter

How about these same brands pero not full suspension hehe..
Budget is 20k below lang po..

Old 05-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushmore3238 View Post
How about these same brands pero not full suspension hehe..
Budget is 20k below lang po..
a bit OT, but my choice would be Giant XTC FR or if there's a new Trek 8500.

Links
Old 05-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Bike Commuter

Mahal pala talaga mga top brands..
Mukhang sa starter brands talaga ako babagsak hehe..

Old 05-10-2012, 03:59 PM
All-Mountain

sir try to check the 2012 merida 120, lighter and sexier frame, AM touring bike as merida called it!

Napaisip tuloy ako sana meron na dito!

Links