PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions

Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions For newbies who wanted to ask any info on mountainbiking stuff.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store MT Pro Bikes Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports ISOLINK Mtb Suspension System Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano Business Venture 888 - 12 O'Clock Bike Components Parts and Accessories.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:46 PM

Default Upgrade: Fork or Frame

I'm itching to upgrade my current ride.

I have a HT set-up

now I'm thinking on upgrading after 6 months of using the bike.

will I upgrade my Fork (Epicon X2) to a FOX or ROCK SHOX

or

will I upgrade my frame (Alite 2000) to a XC204 or Kinesis A650

what's your input guys?

Thanks!

Links
Old 02-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Freeride

Default Re: Upgrade: Fork or Frame

Fox fork!!! float!!! =) dream fork ko to hehehe

Old 02-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Freeride

Talking Re: Upgrade: Fork or Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboners View Post
I'm itching to upgrade my current ride.

I have a HT set-up

now I'm thinking on upgrading after 6 months of using the bike.

will I upgrade my Fork (Epicon X2) to a FOX or ROCK SHOX

or

will I upgrade my frame (Alite 2000) to a XC204 or Kinesis A650

what's your input guys?

Thanks!
Sir, you might want to consider kung ano main purpose ng upgrade. I mean, kung fork, there's no need to worry. Pero sa frame, from HT kasi, you are considering going full-sus. I think mainly if more than trails ka, you can go for the frame. Pero kung mainly XC, go for the fork. My two cents.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Bike Fanatic

ganito lang yan

pag nag upgrade ka ng fork, fork lang ang ma u-upgrade.

pag nag upgrade ka ng frame, lahat ma u-upgrade, kasi iisipin mo, full-sus na etc dapat pantayan ng magandang fork ... tapos magandang drivetrain etc etc

depende nga sa main use. more of climbs and distance ba? fork na.

gusto mo ba to play rough? frame na ... and fork hehehe

Old 02-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Freeride

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs View Post
ganito lang yan

pag nag upgrade ka ng fork, fork lang ang ma u-upgrade.

pag nag upgrade ka ng frame, lahat ma u-upgrade, kasi iisipin mo, full-sus na etc dapat pantayan ng magandang fork ... tapos magandang drivetrain etc etc

depende nga sa main use. more of climbs and distance ba? fork na.

gusto mo ba to play rough? frame na ... and fork hehehe
Isang malaking TAMAAAAAAAAAA!!!! Hehehe

Old 02-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Global Moderator

kung ako yan. 6 months pa lang 'di ba? aralin mo lahat ng bike handling mo sa HT

tapos kapag kaya mo na mag body english, tumalon, no hands, akyat-baba ng bangketa habang nasa bike, umakyat-baba ng the wall hanggang Giant, tapos Shotgun naman.....by this time nakaipon ka na para bagong FS na built bike.

personally i haven't gone through upgrading a bike. normally nag-iipon na ako for a new build. para kasing hindi rin pantay kung paunti unti.

pero kung talagang gusto mo na isa muna....i'd go for frame...yun nga lang.....in a day or 2 mapapaisip ka na magpalit ng iba pang components. hence....back to my argument, he he he, ipon na lang for a new build.

at anong gagawin sa lumang bike? pwedeng palengke bike or ibenta mo ng bentang palugi.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:11 PM

thanks for the inputs guys.

currently i've been to la mesa, timberland, shotgun + wall, maarat and tried trails in silang plus nuvali and sta. rosa.

i'm thinking kasi if fork ang i-upgrade ko, gagaan ng konti yung bike kasi yung epicon x2 compared to fox and rock shox, malayo ang weight difference and plus siyempre iba pa rin ang fox and rock shox technology.

kung frame naman, i think ok din... kasi as of now i have xt groupset sa ht ko, and i'm very much satisfied with it. kaya baka hindi ako mag-upgrade in that aspect. i'm just curious if i upgrade from ht to fullsus, bibigat ba yung over-all weight ng bike or still the same. kaya lang naman gusto ko mag fullsus para hindi gaanong masakit, and less pressure pag nag-ttrail ako.

what do you think guys.....

Old 02-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Freeride

If you will upgrade the frame, why settle for a xc204 or a650? Might as well buy a higher end frame since both are "entry level" fs frames. After a few months baka upgrade ka na naman.

For me if you're thinking of upgrading the frame and/or fork of a new bike, build or buy a new one.

And definitely bibigat ang bike. An fs frame has more moving parts and has the additional weight of the fork. Kahit yata carbon fs frame mas mabigat sa giant xtc.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Global Moderator

err...kapag nag full sus ka, for sure sure bibigat ang overall weight. linkage at shock pa lang mas mabigat na compared to a hardtail. unless you're willing to spend for an FS with the weight of an HT...pati wallet mo papayat.

question is..how much comfort do you want? pwede ka kasing mag suspension seatpost, it allows 1 - 2 inches of travel when the going gets rough.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:35 PM

Hi sir i think we always have to consider the overall geometry ng bike kung magkakatugma ang pyesa, tpos ung sinabi above the purpose of course. Then after all these kukunin nanatin ung "pinaka" di ba? ung tipong di ka mag uupgrade hanggang matagalan.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro View Post
If you will upgrade the frame, why settle for a xc204 or a650? Might as well buy a higher end frame since both are "entry level" fs frames. After a few months baka upgrade ka na naman.

For me if you're thinking of upgrading the frame and/or fork of a new bike, build or buy a new one.

And definitely bibigat ang bike. An fs frame has more moving parts and has the additional weight of the fork. Kahit yata carbon fs frame mas mabigat sa giant xtc.

@jaboners, take it from kyro, if you're gonna upgrade your ride go bigtime one time. go for the fulsus frame plus fox or rs fork then use your current components.

@kyro, from xc604 to.....?

Old 02-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Freeride

Roel

Ellsworth, pag nabenta ko aso ko, may sukli pa he he he!

Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Downhiller

@jaboners

bossing you said, you will be changing you KHS Alite2000 to KHS XC204 or Kinesis A650....

if you change your HT frame into Kinesis A650, change na rin kayo ng discipline non...
A650 is an All Mountain Frame...
pag nag A650 kayo, mapipilitan kayo mag change into Higher Travel Fork.. (140mm - 145mm)

correct me if i'm wrong

Old 02-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Freeride

Thumbs up Re: Upgrade: Fork or Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbonalos View Post
@jaboners

bossing you said, you will be changing you KHS Alite2000 to KHS XC204 or Kinesis A650....

if you change your HT frame into Kinesis A650, change na rin kayo ng discipline non...
A650 is an All Mountain Frame...
pag nag A650 kayo, mapipilitan kayo mag change into Higher Travel Fork.. (140mm - 145mm)

correct me if i'm wrong
Pwede i-adjust yung Epicon up to 150mm (EPICON-X2 LO-R lite 15QLC 26"), so I think there's no need to change his fork when he upgrades his frame, that is, well, if the budget doesn't permit. Pero if you have the budget, just like Sir Anthrax said, go for another build. Then you have the two bikes: one for all-mountain and one for XC.

And how I wish I will have that too....

Old 09-16-2012, 08:32 AM

Default frame or fork upgrade?

I have a hardtail rig more inclined to be on the XC race setup. Specs as follows: XT group/brake, ztr/hope/dtswiss wheelset, thomson stem/seatpost, 3T handlebar, epicon fork and a marin palisades frame, overall weight more or less 24lbs.

I am itching to upgrade either the frame or fork (RS SID) but due to budget constraints, i can finance only one. My dilemma is " will it be the frame or the fork" that will go in the FS section.

If you were in my shoes, what will you prioritize? Frame and fork recommendation will also be helpful. I am more of a weight weenie guy... TIA

Links
Old 09-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Downhiller

go for Rock Shox....SID would be the best..

Old 09-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Global Moderator

budget constraint? i'd go for the fork also, why? because if you change the frame, unless it's an almost the same measurements, you might need a new headset, FD, seatpost, seatclamp, prolly even new cable housing.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Cross-country

@anthrax76, you're right sir. Noong nagpalit ako ng frame ko madaming pinalitan, tulad ng hydraulic cable,adapter for tapered fork (hindi tapered kasi fork ko), and etc. Wag ding kalimutan ang labor.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:09 AM

then fork it is... btw, wouldn't the frame be left behind in terms of parts/specs? AFAIK the Marin Palisades is an entry level/general purpose frame. I'm targeting a giant XTC or Trek 8500 as my next frame..

Old 09-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Bike Commuter

how much ang fox float ngayon? nasa 35thou na d b? IMHO mas ok if ipon ka pa ng onti para built full sus bike na ang bilhin mo kagaya ng giant anthem or trance. in the meantime use your HT as much as you can kasi once na may FS ka na sigurado maspoiled ka dun. hehe. mas makakatipid ka rin kasi if built bike ang bilhin mo kesa bibili ka ng tingi ng parts.

yung HT mo kasi is already pretty decent, alite 2000 frame, epicon fork and XT groupset. para sa kin magandang bike na yan.

if talagang gusto mo na magupgrade then sige fox float. BTW, for me onti lang ang weight difference ng fox float sa epicon. pero yung laro ng fork malayong malayo nag performance ng fox kesa epicon. hehe

Links