PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > Other Parts and Accessories

Notices

Other Parts and Accessories Tech info/help for: Headset, Handlebar, Handle Post, Grips
Hydration bags, Lighting Products, Cyclo-computer, SPDs, Clipless
and other Accessories and parts not found on other categories.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 06-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Mon

Default Helmets!

migrated from proboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by janix
ok, here's the complete article:

Helmet-wearing cyclists more likely to be knocked down
Last updated at 12:32pm on 11th September 2006

Cyclists who wear helmets are more likely to be hit by overtaking vehicles, new research suggests.

Drivers get more than 8cm closer to cyclists wearing helmets than they do to bare-headed riders, because they are seen as being more experienced. And female cyclists are given more room on the road than male drivers, according to a survey from the University of Bath.

Traffic psychologist Dr Ian Walker used a bicycle fitted with an ultrasonic distance sensor to record data from more than 2,500 overtaking motorists in Salisbury and Bristol.

He said drivers were twice as likely to get close to his bicycle when he was wearing the helmet. Dr Walker said: "This was something I had suspected, as many cyclists had told me of similar experiences. The perception is that those wearing helmets are experienced and more predictable.

"Drivers think, 'He knows what he's doing, he won't do anything surprising'. But that's really quite a dangerous thought, particularly as so many cycling novices are told to wear helmets."

Dr Walker, whose research is to be published in the journal Accident Analysis & Prevention, was struck twice during the course of the experiment. Buses and trucks were found to be the worst offenders. While the average car gave cyclists 1.33m of room, the average truck got 19cm closer and the average bus 23cm closer.

To test another theory, Dr Walker wore a long wig to see if there was any difference in passing distance when vehicles thought they were overtaking a female cyclist. Vehicles gave him an average of 14cm more space when he was wearing the wig.

Dr Walker said this may be because women are seen as less predictable than men on the roads, or because female cyclists are more rare and so are treated with more caution.

Dr Walker said he hoped his research would raise awareness of the dangers facing cyclists on busy roads.

More than 11,000 cyclists were injured and 109 killed on UK roads in 2004, the latest year for which figures are available. Overtaking cars are arguably the most dangerous hazards for riders.

Dr Walker said: "We know from research that many drivers see cyclists as a separate subculture to which they don't belong.

"I hope drivers will realise that they are making these assumptions about cyclists based on their appearance. If as a result of this study there were less injuries on the roads, then that would be a wonderful thing."

The research comes as Labour considers plans to make bells compulsory on all bicycles. Cyclists would face on-the-spot penalties and even two years in jail if they did not warn pedestrians of their approach.

Current laws require bells to be fitted on bikes when sold, but owners are free to remove these when they want.

Transport minister Stephen Ladyman has promised to hold a public consultation on the matter, after Liberal Democrat MP Phil Willis raised the issue in Parliament.

Mr Willis said more safeguards were needed to prevent collisions between pedestrians and cyclists. But critics said the proposals would be difficult to enforce
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_rex
nice article. however, why is that here in the philippines, the opposite is true. my brother tried commuting from his school in parañaque to our home in bulacan. he says motorists gave him room and left him alone during the rest of the commute. he's wearing helmets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbuster
I guess this is just the point of view of the author based from his experiment and research, but is not really that accurate, if he have done it here in Pinas, the effect maybe different?. Even if you have no helmet, some drivers will tend to close to you (PINA) and worst kapag sumemplang ka, at least if you have helmet you have protection unlike wearing nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbs72
I think the solution is educate the drivers not remove the helmets. Helmets are good as far as crashes are concerned, but awareness on the part of all involved--driver and cyclists--is still necessary.

Seeing such a phenomenon happening (drivers driving closer) is a wake-up call for government to educate and regulate (if necessary, also reprimand) drivers... not to kill helmet-use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretooth
The Beginning (pre-1970): Choices are limited. The best option for racers is made of padded leather straps. The hairnets (as they're lovingly nicknamed) won't save your noggin, though they do keep your ears from grinding on the pavement.

1970: The Snell Memorial Foundation introduces the first bicycle helmet standard. No bike helmets meet the standard.

1971: Lance Armstrong is born.

1975: Bell Auto Parts introduces the first honest-to-goodness bicycle helmet: The Bell Biker. It's made of expanded polystyrene (EPS) picnic-cooler-type foam bonded to a hard plastic shell.

1983: Ned Overend competes in his first professional mountain bike race. We bet he wore a helmet.

1984: The American National Standards Institute(ANSI) introduces ANSI Z80.4, the first widely adopted bike helmet standard in the United States. Bell unveils the Li'l Bell Shell, a kids' helmet made entirely of EPS foam.

Mid-1980s: Nearly all bike helmets consist of an EPS foam liner, an ABS or polycarbonate hard shell, and nylon straps that form a Y on each side. D-ring strap fasteners are disappearing in favor of plastic buckles.

1986: Jim Gentes of Santa Cruz, Calif., makes an all-EPS foam helmet for adults, but slips a Lycra cover over the foam. Bam! It's the Giro Prolight. Snell introduces its more-realistic (read: easier to meet) B-85 standard. Belgian Michael Vaarten becomes the first World Champion to wear a helmet.

Late-1980s: Most every helmet on the market meets the ANSI or Snell standard. Along with structural improvements, such as embedded nylon mesh, cosmetic improvements are the name of the game: Bell introduces a helmet, the Ovation, with a thin composite skin over the foam liner.

1989: Greg LeMond wins the Tour de France by a narrow 8-second margin, wearing an aerodynamic, teardrop-shaped Giro helmet in the final Time Trial.

1990: Bell introduces "In-Mold Microshell" bonding - the EPS foam and the helmet's plastic shell are basically cooked together for better durability. A side benefit: The stronger helmets can be made thinner, lighter, and with more vents. Plus they look cool. Today, most every bicycle helmet is manufactured this way.

1994: Giro introduces the Roc Loc, the first adjustable fit and stability system in a bicycle helmet. Other manufacturers follow. Along with the Roc Loc, there's now Bell's Geared Positioning System (GPS), Specialized's PRO Fit, Trek's Zip Tite, Louis Garneau's Spiderlock, Cratoni's Orbit, and others.

1996: Bell Sports (the motorcycle division, Bell Helmets, was split off in 1991) buys Giro. Ned Overend retires from professional mountain bike racing. He still wears a helmet.

1999: The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) bicycle helmet standard becomes law in the US. It's illegal to sell helmets that don't meet the standard. Some companies, including Bell Sports, focus on the CPSC requirement instead of the more-stringent Snell B-95 standard. Lance, wearing a Giro helmet, wins his first Tour de France.

2001: Limar introduces a helmet, the F111, with 37 vents.

2004: It's the age of refinement. Helmets are lighter, stronger, and have even more vents; some use high-tech reinforcing materials such as carbon fiber. However, there are few real manufacturing breakthroughs. You can buy a Lance Armstrong edition Giro Atmos Lone Star for $225.

2005: UCI adopts mandatory helmet rule for all cycling events (prior to this, helmets were a "permanent recommendation," a weak stance at best).

2006: Lance is retired. CPSC-certified helmets are available for as little as $10. High-end helmets weigh as little as 8 oz. There are rumors of new foam technology that can rebound from multiple impacts. Bikes are fun. Helmets are better than ever. You're wearing one, right?

For me a HELMET is not an accesory but a protection for our head...
I dont know why is that helmet cheap...
One thing is the technology is really advance and Kona's is trying to sell all it's stock...isn't that an immitation? (what do you think).

We must not bargain our safety...better yet spend a bit more on a helmet that will surely protect you when you fall rather than spend cheap yesterday on a helmet, ride today then accidentally smashing your head, then spend even more on hospitalization.
my advice... at least get a TREK VAPOR...I dont know if this is really enough...if not let me know pls...Anyone?
thats what I have...

PEACE OUT! ! !
Old 06-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Mon

Default Re: Helmets!

migrated from proboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorightwoman
Helmets are an indispensable life-saver, not superfluous accessories. It's unfortunate that some bikers continue to think of the helmet as an accessory that one can choose to wear or not to wear depending on mood or individual riding style. Of course the bottom-line is freedom of choice, but I personally don't feel comfortable riding with some one who refuses to wear a helmet, and I don't think that riding without one is heroic or worth any praise. Riding without a helmet doesn't make you a better rider, but riding with a helmet (on your head haha!) definitely makes you a smarter rider.

My two cents worth after a recent encounter with a helmet-less long-distance rider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayuhan
Freedom of choice to some extent. When I see someone who wants to come on a ride with no helmet, first thing I'm thinking is that if he busts his buko, who's gonna have the responsibility of evacuating his sorry ass off the mountain? It's not just courtesy to your head, but to the bikers with you as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by santino
Right you are, Dayuhan. To those riders who still feel like hitting the trails sans a helmet... just remember that it's not that painful to discard a busted helmet... Not so for that thing on your shoulders.
Quote:
Thank you, Dayuhan and Santino. I guess freedom of choice means you're free to bust your brains out on the trail if you think they're that worthless. But I also take freedom of choice to mean that those who insist on helmets are free to choose NOT to ride with those who won't wear them. No hard feelings. Just hard heads haha!

It'd be nice to read some more firsthand accounts of how helmets prevented further damage to already damaged minds!
Quote:
Originally Posted by santino
In my case, I remember descending Mt. Arayat in Mindoro and overcooking a turn that had some ornery branches along the way... I managed the turn anyway but a large branch grazed my helmet while I was at it. After the adrenaline had dissipated and was checking myself at the bottom, I noticed a deep cut the branch inflicted on the helmet. If I didn't have a helmet to cover my melon, then I would have learned first-hand the differences between abrasions, contusions, and concussions.

Reading between the lines: Phew, buti na lang!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie
This is my protector! Best fist, best buy, best life saver!
Quote:
Originally Posted by makoy
i never leave home without it :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omel
case in point, about ___ years ago, when mt biking was just beginning to flourish here , i foolishly decide to bike home from my then GF's (wifey now)house, said it was just a short distance anyway so no need for a helmet. pilar village to ayala alabang, just as i was about to enter the village gate, a dark portion (was late at night) of the road (commerce), one which i'm very familiar with since i pass it almost daily, had some type of trench being dug across its length, i was surprised when my front tire hit a pile of dirt and i flew in the air and fell into the hole, i was about to pass out when a security guard who saw what happened flashed a light from the top of the 7 foot deep hole and asked " ok ba kyo sir?", had he not come when he did i was going to sleep in the hole because my head was spinning and i was seeing stars. out of embarrassment i said i was fine but was irked because there were no warning devices which would warn motorists of the ongoing excavation ( turns out the contractors put a makeshift light , a lighted can with oil but since it was late the oil had run out), as the guard helped me out of the ditch he said " sir dalhin ko po kyo sa clinic" i said never mind because i was feeling ok just minor cuts on my arkms and legs, the guard replied " sir , dumudugo po ulo nyo' i felt the top of my head and it was wet and when i looked at my hand it was dripping with blood, so i was brought to the clinic and ended up with stitches on my noggin, ever since that day no matter how short a distance i ride i always do the smart thing and wear a helmet. but a good thing came from that experience other than teaching me the error of not wearing a helmet, we sued the contractor for medical expenses and damages and i got to buy a new bike with the extra cash. hehehe
Quote:
But hey, not wearing a helmet got sir omel a new bike! So maybe... Haha

I don't have any 1st person adventure stories involving my head or my helmet, thankfully! And I hope I won't be having any in the future! But I do know of two instances in which wearing a helmet was providential. I don't have clearance from the guys to re-tell these tales, so I won't name names. But on one occasion the Poseurs sans Frontieres rode to Tinoc and on the first day of the ride, some one crashed on a long, winding downhill. His helmet, which he had acquired THE DAY BEFORE THE RIDE, was a total wreck. Thankfully, the rider was intact, and so was his bike! Story number two happened on Bayabas. This time the rider fell 15feet below the trail and was knocked unconscious. Apart from getting everybody worried sick, the rider woke up in a few minutes and wanted to know what happened... And continued the rest of the ride! Crazy! His helmet isn't the full face kind, but the type that covers the back of the head. What do you call that kind of helmet? The back part of his helmet was dented. Makes me shudder to think what could've happened to him if he weren't protected in that sensitive area where the neck ends and the head begins (what do you call that part of the body? I know it's not the nape. Sorry guys, my jargon seems to be failing me today, but I hope I haven't bored you at least.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:25 AM
Bike Commuter

Default Helmets

Anyone using a helmet passing US standards on a budget below 1.5 - 2k?

for CX with visor. I search the pmtb site using "helmet" as my parameter, but couldn't really find a lot of info except for specialized. Any other brand? Anyone using a Michelin helmet being sold at Kings?

And yes, I understand that you should not hold back spending on safety gear. However, if there's a cheaper variant but still certified, that would be great and easier on the pocket.

Thanks,
kamote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:00 AM
Downhiller

Thumbs up Re: budget helmet - with US standards SNELL, CPSC, ASTM

a Serfas helmet would be a good kind of helmet. This was my first helmet. costs only below 1k. Check out All Terra or Kings if they have pa. :thumbsup:
Old 08-10-2008, 11:18 AM
All-Mountain

Default Re: budget helmet - with US standards SNELL, CPSC, ASTM

yup serfas helmets. :thumbsup:

sa ross cycle center sa cartimar madami. may around P900 and P1200.

okay din yung michellin. :thumbsup:

MELAMINE FREE SINCE 2004
Old 08-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Bike Commuter

I'm not so sure if the two branded helmets posted passed or went thru US standardization.

KB,Wondie,

Can you please confirm from the stickers on the helmet please?

been looking at michelin and serfas website...I can't find a helmet.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:34 AM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamote View Post
I'm not so sure if the two branded helmets posted passed or went thru US standardization.

KB,Wondie,

they no longer produce helmets ata, but most LBS's have Serfas helmets available as well. Wala yatang mga sticker-sticker na dinidikit sa helmet except for those safety information and where you can only use the helmet, Serfas and Michelin are one of the most trusted brands that PMTBikers use.

also, pls check out the bike shops directory in this forum so you may ring the shops and inquire as well.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Bike Commuter

I use a Michelin MX Tribal that I got from King's. It has CPSC and CE EN1078 printed on the product tag. The words 'Distributed under license by Zefal Michelin' can also be seen on the product tag.

US helmet standards are ASTM and CPSC and in Europe, CE EN1078.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:53 PM
All-Mountain

Quote:

KB,Wondie,

i bought a Michelin helmet in 2006 which i sold to a ride buddy. i can't remember what safety standard was printed on it.

you can check the brands at this site...

http://www.helmets.org/index.htm

MELAMINE FREE SINCE 2004
Old 08-12-2008, 06:46 AM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by magku View Post
I use a Michelin MX Tribal that I got from King's. It has CPSC and CE EN1078 printed on the product tag. The words 'Distributed under license by Zefal Michelin' can also be seen on the product tag.

US helmet standards are ASTM and CPSC and in Europe, CE EN1078.
... yup try to shell out a little more, the michelin helmets are bang for the buck. my wife uses the mx sport. although if you are really short in cash, try mob, my son uses it, not enough padding though, but works. saved his head from scars - bumps from a crash last summer. i think i got it for 900 pesos.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Anyone using a helmet passing US standards on a budget below 1.5 - 2k?

for CX with visor. I search the pmtb site using "helmet" as my parameter, but couldn't really find a lot of info except for specialized. Any other brand? Anyone using a Michelin helmet being sold at Kings?

And yes, I understand that you should not hold back spending on safety gear. However, if there's a cheaper variant but still certified, that would be great and easier on the pocket.

Thanks,
kamote
trek vapor @1.4k each sa extreme.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Anyone using a Michelin helmet being sold at Kings?

Thanks,
kamote
:cool:

here! i bought the mx tribal model more than a year ago (also at king's), and used it when i started takin the sport "seriously" (?) hehehe!

pretty comfy and strong...

it's so nice that i'm using other zefal michelin models too (free mx & mx pro race)

currahee!

:cool:
Old 08-12-2008, 01:24 PM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
... yup try to shell out a little more, the michelin helmets are bang for the buck. my wife uses the mx sport. although if you are really short in cash, try mob, my son uses it, not enough padding though, but works. saved his head from scars - bumps from a crash last summer. i think i got it for 900 pesos.
a bit of an OT here...

i used to have an MOB helmet, served me well. :thumbsup:

does MOB helmets adhere to any safety standards? are there anything printed under the lid? never checked mine. :thinking:

MELAMINE FREE SINCE 2004
Old 08-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Bike Commuter

thanks folks for your help. I checked the following you suggested...below is what i found out

Trek - they only had the black color available at alterra, they were nice and CPSC certified.
Specialized airforce 3- Snell and spsc certified but they din't have any other color at powerbikes. King's didn't have them in stock either.
MOB- When i saw the stickers, it looked like a fake all the way. I didn't like the plastic cover all over the helmet as well. The certification was only printed on the box.
Serfas - The didn't have the color i wanted as cycle art...

This is what got my attention

I used my bike and the helmet for the first long trip ever that i had on an MTB...and clocked 60kms.

The helmet had a nice fit..and i like the color.

Thank you all.

kamote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:19 PM

Kamote Heres my Trek helmet I bought it at all terra in libis at 1.5k looks and feels good:)

Links
Old 08-12-2008, 10:32 PM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurusu View Post
How much po? San nabili at anong brand?
Thanks.
i believe the brand is Louis Garneau.

good choice kamote. :thumbsup:

what US standard does it follow?

oh and how much and which LBS? TIA. :)

MELAMINE FREE SINCE 2004
Old 08-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Bike Commuter

GMV, good that you had a brighter color Trek. The only color left was black and i was actually looking for white. That would have been easier on my buget.

Knobbyist, The LG's model is speed, bought it at Kings. It has the CSA and CPSC standards but doesn't have the snell sticker by specialized. Thanks.

2100 @ kings as compared to 3400 in libis...I'm not 100% sure of the model though.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:49 AM
All-Mountain

Default Re: helmets!!

BTC has a fairly good selection of designs and sizes. Try them out. I've also seen a fairly complete set of options in Bike King at High Street.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:50 AM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmekster View Post
where can store na may madaming helmets sizes sa cartimar wala eh...kainis
Shops I have been to with a lot of XC helmets: Velocity, BTC, All Terra...

Yun lang eh for me...
Old 08-30-2008, 01:57 AM
All-Mountain

Have you gone to VeloCity in Cartimar Pasay (Leveriza street). They've got lot to offer.

Tags
helmet, protection