PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > Tooltime, Decals, Lubes and Detailing

Notices

Tooltime, Decals, Lubes and Detailing For your wrenching needs: Bike Tools, DIYs, Detailings
Decals and Lubes for your Bike.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 05-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: Cleaning chain,crank,cassete

@amuro ray: salamat po sa mga advice, ggwin ko po yan.

@kbrian: ah, di ko alam na magnet pla ng dumi ang oil, kaya pla biglang nging rough takbo ng pag pedal ko hihi.ska salamat po, ngayun ko lng nalaman na chain lng ako llgyan ng lube

@bikerc: salamat sir!
Links
Old 05-26-2011, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Share your chain cleaning tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by juandelacruz View Post
every major ride tinatangal ko ung chain (using missing link para madali), then ilalagay ko sya sa container na may kerosene.. kakalugin ko until makita mo na white na uli ung chain..rinse with water..dry for 10 minutes..ikabit uli sa bike and put a drop of oil every link..ok na un..

pero syempre dapat nabrush mo na ung cassette and chainring para lahat malinis..

simple at murang panglinis ang kerosene at garantisadong tangal lahat pati maduming oil sa pagitan ng bushing, pin at ring ng chain link..
Hehe, eto din ginagawa ko. It's a dirty job, but for the love of your bike, you gotta do it. Just to add, I use synthetic chamois, even with no soap solution or little soap solution, natatanggal nya ang dumi. I think its the composition of the chamois that just sucks up the dirt.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Downhiller

Thumbs up Re: Share your chain cleaning tips

JOY din gamit ko pang-linis ng chain...

tutal may bike stand, iniipit ko ng sponge (ung pinaglumaan sa kusina madalas gamit ko... sayang ang bago... hehehe) diluted with joy/water, then spin slower, until wala na ung mga dumi...

patuyo, kinabukasan, lagay ng singer oil...

pag-uwi galing ng trail na nuknukan ang pino ng lupa na kumakapit sa chain, repeat ko ulit ang procedure...

nitatamad ako gawin ung procedure na magtunaw ng kandila, soak the chain and let it dry hanging... bukod sa makintab ang chain, matagal bago madumihan... proven na ito, matrabaho la-ang... galing sa SSupremo...
Old 06-12-2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juandelacruz View Post
every major ride tinatangal ko ung chain (using missing link para madali), then ilalagay ko sya sa container na may kerosene.. kakalugin ko until makita mo na white na uli ung chain..rinse with water..dry for 10 minutes..ikabit uli sa bike and put a drop of oil every link..ok na un..

pero syempre dapat nabrush mo na ung cassette and chainring para lahat malinis..

simple at murang panglinis ang kerosene at garantisadong tangal lahat pati maduming oil sa pagitan ng bushing, pin at ring ng chain link..
I had already tried this and I agree that it is really quite an effective (not to mention easy) way of cleaning the chain, derailleurs and cogs. However the first time I did this, I could not figure out how to remove the missing link without using a chain tool. Needless to say, I ended up buying another missing link when i reinstalled the chain. The missing link costs about P120 in our LBS in Cebu.

Now I'm still trying to remove the missing link without any tools but I'm somewhat convinced that it takes superhuman strength to undo it. I even tried using a pair of long-nosed pliers but to no avail.

I wish someone could point me in the right direction. I really like to continue to be able to keep my chain squeaky clean in the most cost-effective way possible.

My missing link looked similar to this.

Thank you very much!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:11 PM
All-Mountain

@wacre

hawakan lang sa magkabilang dulo ng chain... padiin ang direksyon...
Old 06-15-2011, 10:31 AM

Toothbrush at engine oil po gamit ko to clean the chain. Minsan yung basahan na basa sa oil pinampunas ko sa frame, aba kumintab at nagmukhang bago.hehehe...
Old 06-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Bike Commuter

ako pag nilinis ko chain, tatangalin ko muna, kasi gumamit ako ng missing link, then babad ko sa diesel dalawang beses. no need to brush. dry it out and then lube!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:20 PM

Before, I use tooth brush, dishwashing liquid and sponge to clean my bike's chain. Now I use a chain cleaning kit. Super B yung brand. Costs around 500 Pesos. Just run the chain in it and pour some degreaser or Joy dishwashing liquid. Brush is also included to remove grime on the cogs. Rinse with water, let it dry and lube again. Less hassle, quicker and no need to remove the chain.
By the way, here's Super B's website:
http://www.superbiketool.com/
Old 06-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyao View Post
Before, I use tooth brush, dishwashing liquid and sponge to clean my bike's chain. Now I use a chain cleaning kit. Super B yung brand. Costs around 500 Pesos. Just run the chain in it and pour some degreaser or Joy dishwashing liquid. Brush is also included to remove grime on the cogs. Rinse with water, let it dry and lube again. Less hassle, quicker and no need to remove the chain.
Sir,

Matanong ko lang po, san po ninyo nabili itong chain cleaner?
TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyao View Post
Sir,

Matanong ko lang po, san po ninyo nabili itong chain cleaner?
TIA

Last edited by RobertJamesYu; 06-28-2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Automerge, please use EDIT button to ADD/EDIT your recent post.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:16 AM

@RobertJamesYu,

Sir, bought mine at Arjan Bikeshop, LBS dito sa Angeles City. But I'm sure meron niyan sa mga bikeshops sa Manila. I've seen one pero Pedro's ang brand and a bit more expensive. Sa Bikezilla or All Terra ko ata siya nakita. Sorry sir, pero di ko matandaan
Links
Old 06-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Freeride

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacre View Post
I had already tried this and I agree that it is really quite an effective (not to mention easy) way of cleaning the chain, derailleurs and cogs. However the first time I did this, I could not figure out how to remove the missing link without using a chain tool. Needless to say, I ended up buying another missing link when i reinstalled the chain. The missing link costs about P120 in our LBS in Cebu.

Now I'm still trying to remove the missing link without any tools but I'm somewhat convinced that it takes superhuman strength to undo it. I even tried using a pair of long-nosed pliers but to no avail.

I wish someone could point me in the right direction. I really like to continue to be able to keep my chain squeaky clean in the most cost-effective way possible.

My missing link looked similar to this.

Thank you very much!
pareho lang tayo ng missing link.. nung first time ko din nahirapan ako until I looked at the link and studied it carefully.

If you look closely at your missing link, you'll notice a slightly tapered or depression near the hole where the pin and the link connected to each other.

the trick: pinched the two plate inwards before removing the link from its pin position.

note: hold the link one pin away from the pin of the missing link when removing it as both pin of the missing link needed to be free to moved it inwards.

hope it helps
Old 12-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Freeride

Talking Chain cleaning for bike commuter

Hi PMTB pips! I'm just wondering how to properly lubricate my chain. I'm a bike commuter, using pro-gold prolink dry lube, pero pag tumagal, marumi pa rin ang chain ko (my chain is kmc gold 9SL).

I'm commuting almost everyday, 5 days a week, 20km one way. I lubricate every other day. Minsan punas lang then apply lube. Almost every other week ko binabaklas talaga yung chain to clean it thoroughly, sabay na ng bike wash.

Is it normal sa bike commuter na mangitim sa alikabok yung chain and grimes build-up on the drive train. Minsan kasi naiisip ko sadyang marumi lang ang Metro Manila :whistling: hehehe. Or do I need to switch to other brands of lube like Zefal or White Lightning?
Old 12-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Cross-country

1.Clean first your chain with DIESEL FUEL using a toothbrush/paintbrush.
2.Then wash it JOY DISHWASHING LIQUID with water.
3.Dry it with clean cloth.
4.Lubricate your chain with DRY LUBE(any brand available).
Old 12-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstar1128 View Post
Hi PMTB pips! I'm just wondering how to properly lubricate my chain. I'm a bike commuter, using pro-gold prolink dry lube, pero pag tumagal, marumi pa rin ang chain ko (my chain is kmc gold 9SL).

I'm commuting almost everyday, 5 days a week, 20km one way. I lubricate every other day. Minsan punas lang then apply lube. Almost every other week ko binabaklas talaga yung chain to clean it thoroughly, sabay na ng bike wash.

Is it normal sa bike commuter na mangitim sa alikabok yung chain and grimes build-up on the drive train. Minsan kasi naiisip ko sadyang marumi lang ang Metro Manila :whistling: hehehe. Or do I need to switch to other brands of lube like Zefal or White Lightning?
Sir, pinupunasan nyo po ba after mag-apply ng dry lube?? Baka yun po yung reason kaya dumidikit yung dust..
Old 12-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Freeride

Sir Xtreme XC, yes sir pinupunasan ko naman. Minsan nga lang kapag parang wala ng oil, nilalagyan ko na agad ng prolink, wala ng linis-linis. Siguro dun nagbi-build up yung grimes. Mga ilang kms kaya ang kayang itagal usually ng isang lubrication?
Old 12-04-2011, 12:14 AM

Sa kin about 80 kms. dumi na uli ng chains ko kahit bagong linis.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:30 AM
All-Mountain

When I was new to biking, I was told of a 50/50 way to clean (as well as lubricate) my chain: 1 part of kerosene and 1 part of cooking oil :). Till now, I don't know if that was right, the chain was very greasy and black when we ride. So I switched to brushing it with soapy water or water with some drops of dishwashing liquid then spray it with WD-40 (WD-40 was the 40th mixing attempt of Water Displacement). Later on, I'd drop some Singer machine oil onto the joints
Old 12-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Freeride

Ayun nadale ko rin! May mali lang siguro sa pagpupunas ko after applying dry lube. Para kasing sobrang nipis kaya konting punas lang ginagawa ko. Last time pinunasan ko talaga ng maigi after lubricating, pati cranks ang pulley, then let it sink in magdamag. Kinabukasan 40kms of Metro Manila "dirt road". After I check my chain this morning, not a speck of dirt! Yahooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Sa kin about 80 kms. dumi na uli ng chains ko kahit bagong linis.
Try ko nga rin obserbahan. Kung 80kms, 2days lang pala itatagal ng isang lubrication. Btw, thanks Sir Obet!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:32 AM

followed many of the tips here, removed chain from drive train degrease using kerosene then wash with joy... Wipe and hang to dry then lube. it works!
Old 02-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Single-Speeder

help! first time ko maglinis ng chain kakabili ko lang ng chain breaker kanina nung tinatanggal ko na yung pin nasobrahan pihit ko and natanggal ko yung pin sa link paano ba ibabalik to?
Links

Tags
chain, drivetrain, dry, lube