PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > Tooltime, Decals, Lubes and Detailing

Notices

Tooltime, Decals, Lubes and Detailing For your wrenching needs: Bike Tools, DIYs, Detailings
Decals and Lubes for your Bike.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 03-22-2010, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Maintenance after trailing...

ako din pressure washer... basta wag lang tutukan ang mga rolling parts...like hubs, BB tapos air pressure to dry out the drive train at yung singit-singit... i apply dry lube sa chain after :thumbsup: pag medyo kulang naman sa oras at di naman ganun kadumi yung wheelset lang nililinis ko...sa loob kase ng bahay nakapark ang bike
Old 03-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Global Moderator

teka, by power spray eh..you mean hosing it down with a high pressure water?

medyo no no yan bro. water can get inside the your hubs and BB, not to mention wash down whatever oil is in our rig towards your disc brake.

anyway, malamang may topic na nito pero hinahanap ko pa.

for me. tabo, toothbrush, water, joy dishwashing, trusty old rag.

basain ko muna yung rag, then wipe down kung alin ang maduming parts. then use the toothbrush for the hard to reach areas. use joy to degrease. banlaw. use a dry rag to wipe dry. tapos lagay ng lube sa chain.

for preventive maintenance (not exactly every trail ride). dinadala ko sa LBS for hub cleaning/regreasing, alignment, BB lubrication.

-----------

add...btw, search helps
Old 03-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardi View Post
Mga sir question lang po. How do you maintain your bike after a good trail. Kasi ako I usually power spray my bike. After nun punas lang. Do you need to re grease it? Tips naman dyan mga sir.

Thanks a lot.
Power spray lang? No lubrication afterwards?

If yes, then it's a nice way of cleaning the bike of dirt & mud & what-have-you's. (although, as GAMOL51 and ANTHRAX76 said, it's not advisable to aim the pressure hose on the hubs and bottom bracket). But *NOT* lubricating the essential parts is no way to maintain your bike. You'll end up with components grinding metal-on-metal --> which is a quick way to wear down your bike parts.

Here is a good video to show how to maintain a bike after a trail ride: http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...ak-performance

Comfort destroys usefulness. Luxury makes monsters. Adversity creates heroes. - Pastor Noel Tan
Old 03-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Freeride

Thumbs up Re: Share your chain cleaning tips

@plankton_dash - sir ok na ok po yung video link na binigay nyo very helpful at informative halos lahat ng gusto ko sanang itanong dito sa forum nandun na. thank you po!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Share your chain cleaning tips

Thank you mga sir it's a big help. After kasi ng ride last sunday, I wash it then sabi ko sa sarili ko, parang may mali sa ginagawa ko. Im feeling guilty tuloy right now although di ko naman tinututok sa mga moving parts kaso di na ko nag lulubricate. I need to go home now so that I can check my bike, hehehe. Thank you uli mga sir.

PMTB Rules!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:00 PM

ayun sa mga previous post pwede naman wag lang talagang itutok para hindi ma-washout ang grease. Yng pressure washer ko may adjustment ang nozzle para pa-spread at parang mist na lang ang buga ng tubig tsaka syempre control lng sa pagbuga... ako ang ginagawa ko sa kamay ko muna binubuga yung tubig para matantya ko pressure nya tsaka medyo malayo ako sa bike.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Bike Commuter

Grab a worn out sponge,
basain ng joy.
Ipanghawak sa chain sa taas ang sponge
paikut-ikutin ang chain ring pabaligtad. Gawin ito ng 1 min
banlawan ang sponge
ulitin ng 1 pang beses
Banlawan at itutok ang hose ang nasabong kadena
Patuyuin--gumamit ang blower

Lube spray. pero since wala akong spray, motor oil gamit ko.

for hubs, kumunsulta ng pro.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:46 AM
Freeride

I grab a rag and then pass the chain thru it. Then I lubricate the chain using Rock n'Roll lube. For the rest of the bike, I wipe it off with a cotton rag when not too dirty. In extreme cases I use a hose, just let water fall on the bike and use car shampoo, then wax the frame. I open the headset, cranks, hubs and grease all moving parts. =)
Old 03-23-2010, 06:21 AM
Freeride

after every trail ride i usually remove the chain (via missing link) and soak in diesel to remove the grease & grime, thorughly shaking it from time to time

rinse it in running water then degrease it further using joy liquid soap and toothbrush

rinse again in running water and hang the chain to let water drip

after 30min i apply Squirt lubricant to each and every link and you can see that it displaces any excess water trapped within the rollers

let the chain sit overnight then wipe the excess lubricant off with a clean chain prior to re-installation in the bike
Old 03-23-2010, 07:24 AM
Downhiller

1 kalas chain via powerlink (sram)
2 clean with water and detergent and old toothbrush
3 rinse, let dry
4 ibalik sa bike
5 lube with singer oil/ATF, wipe extra off with a rag

PS make sure that you clean your rollers/cassette/crankrings as well, kung hindi, advanced wear mangyayari.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:13 AM

I know that using a power spray to clean your bike is ideally a no no, but I've always wondered why they use power sprays at bike shops. Every time I go biking at Sta. Rosa, many bikers have their bikes washed at Sabak Bike shop, and they use power sprays, and most of the bikes are high end. I'm thinking, ok lang siguro coz alot of bikers are doing it and their bikes are even more expensive than mine. Kung baga, safety in numbers, kasi madami naman kami e. hehe. I just hope that they know what they are doing (which they probably do, nagtitiwala na lang ako sa kanila). Huwag lang itutok sa mga hubs, BB, pivot points ng frame, fork seals and rear shocks ang power spray sana. When i get home, i apply lube on my chain, and the pivot points no my derailleurs.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:37 AM
All-Mountain

inilagay ko yung kerosene sa isang sprayer. isang spray lang laglag ang dirt and grime sa chain pati sa cogs, chainring etc. then rinse with water with joy.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Suspended

I have two old plastic containers (lalagyan ng baon) that i use to clean my chain. One has kerosene and the other has Mr.Muscle Kitchen Cleaner. Mas mura ang kerosene kaya dun ko una nilalagay ang dirty chain. Shake vigorously. Then I wipe the chain with a rag. Dunk sa next container to degrease. Shake ulet. I let it soak for a couple of minutes. Then I wash it with running water. Wipe and air dry. Kapag tuyo na sya, I apply lube and wipe the chain before I put it back on the drivetrain. Yoko kasi napupunta sa teeth nung rings tsaka cogs yung excess lube (lalo lang naga-attract ng dumi).

Kung sobrang sticky nung dumi sa chain, gamit ako ng lumang toothbrush with kerosene.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Single-Speeder

i usually spray wd40, wipe and air dry, then apply lube with 1 or 2 drops. kung nagmamadali, i wipe dry with a wet rag lang and then put oil.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Freeride

Ever since I used Squirt Lube

Fory dry and dusty conditions I just use a dry toothbrush first and remove the dirt and grime that has accumulated on my chain. For stubborn dirt, I just wipe it clean with a rag. No more de-greasing ever since I used squirt.

For muddy rides, I used toohbrush with soap and brush off the mud. Rinse and remove stubborn dirt with a rag.

Then reapply squirt. With Squirt cleaning your chain is easier:)
Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Freeride

+1 with TIGS post. Di nga lang mr muscle gamit ko. Sa kin yung sobrang dishwashing liquid solution na ginamit ko pang linis ng bike. Dinadagdagan ko na lang ng konting liquid para tumapang.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Cross-country

me too im using dishwashing liquid with degreaser, maganda siya sa chain, but just make sure na lagyan mo ng lube kasi tanggal talaga yung grasa sa chain!
Old 04-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Freeride

ako after cleaning the chain with soap and water. i wipe it with dry cotton cloth and put "squirt lube" in each links to make sure that all links are well lubricated.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:28 PM

ako punas at toothbrush lang tapos apply dry lube
Old 04-17-2010, 05:10 PM
All-Mountain

I use laundry soap and an old toothbrush and a good wash down after. I use squirt brand chain lubricant after the chain dries.
Links

Tags
chain, drivetrain, dry, lube