PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > Tooltime, Decals, Lubes and Detailing

Notices

Tooltime, Decals, Lubes and Detailing For your wrenching needs: Bike Tools, DIYs, Detailings
Decals and Lubes for your Bike.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 09-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: chain cleaning

manga sirs pano po tangalin yung chain sa bike? with out breaking the chain or using a chain removal tool. mas masarap kasi mag linis pag naka tangal yung chain eh, thank you.
Links
Old 09-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwas View Post
na enganyo akong sumali sa culto ng pag wa white lightning simula nung una ko syang ipatak sa kadena ng bisikleta ko. hi edgar!
willie, sa kandila ride.
Hi Willie!

I hope it didnt started at the kandila ride coz white lightning contains paraffin wax which is the main ingridient in making candles.

Miss riding with you guys! Regards to all and see you on my holiday.:thumbsup:
Old 09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyfu View Post
manga sirs pano po tangalin yung chain sa bike? with out breaking the chain or using a chain removal tool. mas masarap kasi mag linis pag naka tangal yung chain eh, thank you.
You cannot break it without the chain tool not unless you have the missing link from KMC and Sram.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Single-Speeder

Quote:
Same with you, I want to remove my chain from the bike and put it inside a plastic bottle. Put some kerosine and shake it. The chain is totally clean...

But Enzo is right, you need to use missing link to remove the chain easily from your bike....
Old 09-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Bike Commuter

yes thank you sirs! i guess ill invest in a chain tool sometime later. :p
i just got my bike and the purchases just keep coming :p hehhe. :coldsweat:

EDIt* sirs i have a question. when i got home from work i decided to take a good look at the chain. i found the last link with the removable pin. its a bit hard to turn. unlike the others, is this normal? the chain is new about 2 days old do i need to just wear it out and it will turn smoth?
Old 09-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Bike Commuter

hi...i bought BikeLine Dry Tube by Motorex weeks ago.. applied it a few times...havent tried White Lightning however...who has tried both?..can someone pls give a comparison or difference between these two products?.. thanks in advance..
Old 09-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcePintura View Post
hi...i bought BikeLine Dry Tube by Motorex weeks ago.. applied it a few times...havent tried White Lightning however...who has tried both?..can someone pls give a comparison or difference between these two products?.. thanks in advance..
Ace,

White lightning leaves a thin residue of paraffin wax that acts as the lubricating agent. Very clean and smooth, doesnt attract dirt and the souind ot chain and cogs are muted. tahimik siya.

Motorex still mucks up, nagpuputik na maitim kahit na malinis na malinis yung chain ko ng iapply ko siya.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:50 PM
All-Mountain

has any tried using zefal dry lube? out of stock ang white lightning and pedro's dry in cartimar e.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:12 PM

Hi PMTB Peeps....Any recommendation what's the best cleaning/ lubrication agent for KMC X9 SL Gold chain?
Old 09-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Bike Commuter

sir enzo..thanks for this big help...i noticed that the chains turn black even if they're newly cleaned... im gonna change products.. thank you sir!
:thumbsup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Ace,

White lightning leaves a thin residue of paraffin wax that acts as the lubricating agent. Very clean and smooth, doesnt attract dirt and the souind ot chain and cogs are muted. tahimik siya.

Motorex still mucks up, nagpuputik na maitim kahit na malinis na malinis yung chain ko ng iapply ko siya.
Links
Old 09-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Downhiller

Most Welcome Ace!

The thing with lubricant kasi ay, humahalo yung dumi, putik, all elements with the chain lube na wet or non paraffin type.

White lightning is paraffin na diluted sa petroleum, which acts as the cleaning agent everytime you reapply it. Kaya yung luma na hindi nacontaminate ay nasa pagitan pa rin ng link na hindi napasok ng dumi. Nililinis nya yung superficial or nasa labas na kumapit na dirt.

Apply the lube in thirty seconds of turning your drivetrain, wipe excess,, and apply again then air dry. Humuhulas (flaking off) yung dumi kaya everytime you reapply it, palinis siya ng palinis.

What I do is spray with water from a hose yung chain to take the dirt out and then apply Whitelube. walang cheche bureche na kalas ng chain at tanggal ng tanggal ng accumulated oil and dirt combi. hindi sisikisik yung dumi kasama sa chain lube. Panalo itong produkto na ito.

Last edited by Enzo; 09-13-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:18 PM

Default Re: chain cleaning without using any tool

sir you can use missing link in your chain try nyo po sir, you will find out kung gaano kadali mag tanggal ng chain , if you would like to clean it.
There are two types of missing link one is 9 speed compatible and the other one is 8 speed compatible, got my missing link at easton bicycle shop at potrero malabon for 50 pesos.
try nyo sir
Old 09-17-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Not possible ata. The best is you use a link. So when you clean and lube your chain you just remove the link.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Downhiller

quick question:

do you rinse off the factory spattered grease on a brand new chain before you use it?
Old 11-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulot_salot View Post
quick question:

do you rinse off the factory spattered grease on a brand new chain before you use it?

YES! very thick grease to protect the chain from rust at long storage and shipping.

Magnet for dust, dirt and chain suck. Just by backpedalling you will see how it sticks to the cogs and teeth of chainring.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
YES! very thick grease to protect the chain from rust at long storage and shipping.

Magnet for dust, dirt and chain suck. Just by backpedalling you will see how it sticks to the cogs and teeth of chainring.
oks! thanks fafi idol!

yun din pansin ko...

meron na rin nagsabi sa akin na may nasiraan ng kadena cuz di tinanggal yung grasa before the ride... & pinalitan with chainm-specific lube.

thanks!!! :thumbsup:
Old 11-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Single-Speeder

agree ako dyan...

for newer chain, parts prep muna bago ikabit...

ilagay sa botelya, buhusan ng degreaser, takpan at kalogkogin. pag pagod na, buksan ang botelya, kunin ang chain sa loob ng botelya, patuyuin at ikabit sa bike...

pagkakabit, lagyan ng white lightning...ready to ride na pagkatapos...
Old 11-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Bike Commuter

MOUNTAINBIKE magazine says...
"Few mishaps stop a ride dead in its tracks like a broken chain. Neglect the string of links that keeps your drivetrain working, and your epic day of riding could turn into an even more epic day of walking. Lube your chain at least once a month, or more often if necessary."
Old 11-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Single-Speeder

tama to vix...

But still lubing is no assurance na di masisira ang chain during the ride...

mas maganda pa rin, may preventive maintenance schedule ang chain, like the bearing of the aircraft, or the timing belt of the car engine... after how many hours na syang ginagamit. at a certain period of time... change with a new one... :thumbsup:
Old 03-22-2010, 06:16 PM

Default Maintenance after trailing...

Mga sir question lang po. How do you maintain your bike after a good trail. Kasi ako I usually power spray my bike. After nun punas lang. Do you need to re grease it? Tips naman dyan mga sir.

Thanks a lot.

Tags
chain, drivetrain, dry, lube