PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > Tooltime, Decals, Lubes and Detailing

Notices

Tooltime, Decals, Lubes and Detailing For your wrenching needs: Bike Tools, DIYs, Detailings
Decals and Lubes for your Bike.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 06-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Global Moderator

Default Share your chain cleaning tips

Migrated from Proboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weenie

Here's how I do it. I disengage the chain from the chainwheels, remove the rear wheel and cock the rear derailleur forward with some wire to allow more chain slack, then I wash the chain in a large can with some diesel while running the entire length of the chain through. Then I do a final rinse with clean diesel spiked with some motor oil.

The dirty diesel I pour into a large jar to allow the dirt to settle and cake at the bottom, after which it can be used again.

Then I wipe the chain with rag to remove excess diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullspeed

Just yesterday, me and cheapride cleaned our bikes-including the chains- with a pressure washer...tanggal lahat ng dumi. We dried them using pressurized air from a compressor...tapos nilagyan ko ng singer oil after matuyo.

Tama kaya ito? Nalinis nga ng husto pati cogs, but could this pose any harmful consequence sa bike? Any comments?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegra

I only clean my bike when necessary ( ayaw na umikot ng gulong )
Tinatamad ako mag ride if I'vegot to clean it up after :)

ngayon,I just have the bike washed sa bike shop for 50p.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver

usually save my chain cleaning job for when i give the whole bike a wash. i use running water, joy liquid degreasing soap and a good brush.

after that, leave the bike and the chain to dry overnight. if in a hurry, i use WD-40 to displace the water...then use a proper chain oil (Pedros dry or wet lube) one drop per link, to lubricate the chain. then i pedal the wheels, and shift the chain through the chainrings and the 9 cogs to lubricate the teeth. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin

Quote:
Just yesterday, me and cheapride cleaned our bikes-including the chains- with a pressure washer...tanggal lahat ng dumi. We dried them using pressurized air from a compressor...tapos nilagyan ko ng singer oil after matuyo.

Tama kaya ito? Nalinis nga ng husto pati cogs, but could this pose any harmful consequence sa bike? Any comments?
Hi guys,

Hindi kaya ma-wash out yung mga grease duon sa bottom bracket, hub, and steering post? You can use power sprayer but don't point it directly to those 3 locations... :)

Mondy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver

Mondy is right you know re the power spray and your grease....one tip i read was to cover the lips of your shocks, and other critical grease areas with plastic befo re using a power spray on your bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr

you can buy a chain cleaning to do the job...
The way I do it after the ride since the build up still loose. I removed the chain (you can only do this if you have a chainlink) and put in a small bowl and spray with degreaser. Let it stay for couple of hours and clean with high pressure water... clean as new.

TIPS:
To avoid build up use dry lube don't use regular lube that will attract dush specially in dry dust condition.

Also after ride, clean and put regular lube. Para ready sa susunod a ride at saka yong oil ay hindi basa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadjzilla

I used chain brush cleaning kit pour some cleaning soln. on it (me, i used orange oil cleaner)attach to rear derl. and chain rotate the pedal several times, dry it with clean cloth then i apply raceday extreme lubricant by white lightning. You can do the procedure in 1-2 min!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilman

I hope this short novel will help:

Washing the Whole Bike: Pressurised water 'daw is not advisable. The pressure creates a blast of smaller water particles that will likely penetrate or "moist" the 3 sensitive parts. Garden hose pressure + use of soft brush (like paint brush) is effective. To ease cleaning, remove both wheels and clean them separately. If necessary, car shampoo is better than detergent soaps to safely and effectively remove grime. Wipe and dry. You can then proceed to clean your house and car.

Dry cleaning the Bike (Quickie). A gentle degreaser spray(usually bio-degradable and non-petroluem-base, and should not damage paint) is effective. Brush off-dust first and then spray degreaser. Wipe clean using clean rag or wipes. Amuyin ang bike kung pareho sa scent nang degreaser mo ;D

Pakintabin ang bike: Apply/Spray your preferred bike polish, and wipe. Huwag pasobrahan at baka mabulag ka sa kintab at manakaw and bike mo.

Cleaning/Lubricating Clipless/SPD Pedals: Remove dust or mud using water/degreaser/softbrush. Spray WD-40 to displace moisture or let it dry. Lube lightly key moving parts (same as your fav chain lube). Then spray non-stick canola oil (used for cooking pans) to where the cleats are engaged. Wipe off-excess. Effective in controlling corrosion to maintain that easy cleat engage/disengage performance. Then continue with your cooking.

Chain Cleaning(Without removing both wheels).
Mix water with household dishwashing liquid or soap. Mix to produce foamy solution to optimize effectiveness. Using a hard toothbrush and the solution, clean the LOWER loop of the chain between the derailieur's lower gear/pulley and sprocket. Wipe with clean cloth and repeat until there is no trace of oil/dirt. Turn pedal and repeat process to all sections of the chain. This technique will avoid excess soap/water from dripping into the drivetrain gears and possibly into the BB and bearings. Now wash off the chain, section by section with clean water using the same technique (using brush also) to remove all traces of soap/degreaser (surfactant)that can reduce the effectiveness of the chain lube. Let it dry overnight or approx 8hrs. The chain link/pins should be absolutely clean/dry, before applying your fav libe for dry or wet conditions. You can then continue to brush your teeth, wash the dishes and do laundry.

Lubricating the Chain. Apply your fav light oil to every pin/link, section per section. Wipe excess lube. "Wet" lube on the other parts of the chain and the chainrings/gears will only attract dirt/grime.

Diesel/Gasoline when used to clean and allowed to dry on the chain will leave residue that will reduce the effectivess of your lubricant. They are also flammable and may irritate your hands (lead/sulfur content). Constantly removing a chain pin will eventually loosen the linkage(s).

Source: Aklat ng mga sayklista sa bundok, pahina 3/10,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab

ok po ba gamitin yung singer oil pang-lube ng chain after cleaning?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr

Quote:
ok po ba gamitin yung singer oil pang-lube ng chain after cleaning?
Rab,
Welcome to the board bro.. I'm also from La Union.
In regards to your question. It should work but the draw back is a dust magnet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duldog

i've read somewhere in the net about mixing paint thinner and automotive oil in equal parts and using it as a chain lubricant. ang paint thinner daw helps in making the oil seep in all places and dries easily leaving the oil behind.

is this a good idea? i'm a bit hesitant to try it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofers

Quote:
i've read somewhere in the net about mixing paint thinner and automotive oil in equal parts and using it as a chain lubricant. ang paint thinner daw helps in making the oil seep in all places and dries easily leaving the oil behind.

is this a good idea? i'm a bit hesitant to try it
I've been using this "homebrew" on my chains since January this year, except that it's 3 or 4 parts paint thinner to 1 part synthetic motor oil (Mobil One). The exact ratio is not important. It works well and is super cheap!

Every couple of weeks or so I also use a Barbieri chain cleaner which is the same as the Finish Line chain cleaner. I fill it up with a citrus detergent and run my chain through it. Then I fill it with water and run the chain through it until the water no longer turns black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecko_blue75

pahabol lang.... i don't know if you guys saw this site already but somehow i find it somewhat useful...

check this out;

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/BCB4.shtml
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilman

Duldog,

During wet conditions (and even during dry conditons and budget is tight ;D), I mix WD40 (3parts) Synthetic motor/engine oil (1part). WD40 is a lot better than paint thinner although parehong kerosone-based yan. I put the resulting mixed, dilluted or "light" oil in an empty Elmer's glue container. One drop per CLEAN chain pin, wiping off excess.

When using such cheap homemade chain lube during dry conditions, I recommend wiping off the chain with a clean cloth, moistened with biodegradable degreaser to remove excess oil that will attract dust and grime.

CAUTION: DON'T USE THE CHAIN OIL FOR BODY MASSAGE ;D ;D ;D

Source: Aklat ng mag saykleta sa bundok pahina 4/10,000 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Last edited by Lui-G; 06-21-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Links
Old 06-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Global Moderator

Default Re: Share your chain cleaning tips

Continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddfoes

pahabol lang mga bro.
was along time ago when i came across an article in a bike magazine about WD-40 using it as a cleaning slolution to clean up parts of your bike. WD-40 stands for "water dispersant" solution in a molecular weight of 40. It defeats the purpose of any existing lubricant. says avoid using WD-40 to any moving parts of your bike that requires lubrication like cassettes, rear hubs, chains, etc. the author happens to be working in a company that produces WD-40 and also a bike rider. use any means available or any cleaning solutions, but as much as possible refrain from using WD-40.
i've been using clean streak metal prep made by white lightning everytime i go for clean detailing it breaks down the grease easily, and works well.
hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcoastbo

I rotate 3 different chains changing it about every 15 - 20 rides. Where I live and ride the conditions have been very dry and dusty so some of my techniques may not apply to wet conditions.

I use White Lightning and after each ride I use a dry, stiff brush to remove as much of the dust and dirt from cassette, chain and chainring. Relube the chain and I'm ready for the next ride. After 15+ rides the lube and dirt start become hard to brush off.

I use SRAM because of the powerlink. Remove chain and clean drivetrain with liquid dish soap, cheap and not harsh on your hands. Put the chain in a plastic coke or gatorade bottle, add soap and hot water, shake and soak, clean chain with a rag.

Soap works well on White Lightning since it's not a petroleum product.

The reason I rotate 3 different chains is to minimize wear on my chainring and cassette teeth as the chain stretches. I found out the expensive way that a new chain won't work on worn teeth.

Last edited by Lui-G; 06-21-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:07 PM

Default chain cleaning

Is it really true that after applying lube sa chain, after several minutes dapat linisin yun ng cloth?
para daw hindi magattract ng dumi?
Is it ok na dry ung chain when using your bike?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Single-Speeder

Default Re: chain cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunghaker View Post
Is it really true that after applying lube sa chain, after several minutes dapat linisin yun ng cloth?
para daw hindi magattract ng dumi?
Is it ok na dry ung chain when using your bike?

Thanks!
Depends sa lube na gagamitin mo yan... :thinking:

If your using Dri-lube like the white lightning... no need to wipe with cloth...

better talaga na dri yong chain para di kulay itim.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:18 AM
Bike Fanatic

i agree with bong - after cleaning the chain - use "White Lightning" dry type lube to eliminate the need and hassle of wiping excess lube when using an ordinary wet lube :thumbsup:

"White Lightning Self Cleaning Wax Lubricant" is highly recommended and very popular lube among bikers (including me) :thumbsup:

"Original White Lightning is a totally clean, completely dry, wax lubricant. Because it contains no oil, White Lightning does not absorb dirt and grime. Original White Lightning goes on wet for deep penetration, but then quickly forms a dry, clean, lubricating wax film. As a result, bike parts and especially drive train components work better and last longer. The true genius of Original White Lightning is the lubricant’s “Self-Cleaning” technology, so unique it has been awarded multiple patents.
When dirt makes it’s way to the lubrication film, release agents are activated and small particles of the wax film flake off, taking with it the contaminant. This technology allows parts to stay clean and work more smoothly. If used regularly, you may never have to clean your chain again! White Lightning Original can also be used to lube pedals, cleats, and brake and derailleur pivots. Available Size: 4oz Bottle

Application Tips for White Lightning Original: Shake product to blend all liquids. On the first application, apply generously (10+ backward turns of the crank ). When reapplying, less product will be necessary 3-5 turns of the crank). Reapply after every ride or when drive train requires additional lubrication. Before riding, allow White Lightning Original to dry for 2 hours.

For MAXIMUM Self-Cleaning benefits, apply White Lightning Original to a clean, de-greased chain."
Old 09-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Cross-country

Where is that available and for how much?
Old 09-03-2008, 08:23 AM

onga ser, where can we avail this product?

Thanks again!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Cross-country

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon andre View Post
Application Tips for White Lightning Original: Shake product to blend all liquids. On the first application, apply generously (10+ backward turns of the crank ). When reapplying, less product will be necessary 3-5 turns of the crank). Reapply after every ride or when drive train requires additional lubrication. Before riding, allow White Lightning Original to dry for 2 hours.
I use White Lightning too and it's the best lube i've tried so far, it's self chain cleaning claim is no hype :thumbsup:. However, i bought the older White Lightning (not the same package as pictured above) and i can't seem to find in the label that i need to reapply after every ride. I usually reapply only after a major bike wash and so far it's been great. I mean my chain and cogs are clean and shiny even after a dusty ride, and you can tell the lube's still there bec. swabe parin mag turn yung cranks. Medyo tipid din not to reapply if puede pa, mahal din and White Lightning ha @ 450 petot per small bottle :whistling: Also, 30 mins lang din yung drying time and twice din the 1st time application but you can apply the 2nd coat after 15 mins according to the instructions sa bottle ko.

Btw, bakit kaya sa website ng White Lightning http://www.whitelightningco.com/products/index.htm iba din and packaging. So far, i've seen 3 same products that are packaged differently. Ano ba ang latest, yung sa website? And available na ba dito sa Pinas? :thinking: Bought mine pala in Cycle Tote Bacolod...

And there's a similar thread din about this sa "Tooltime, Decals, Lubes and Detailing" section
Old 09-03-2008, 08:48 AM
Global Moderator

Chain cleaning tips

Grease on my chain

Chain Maintainance by Sheldon Brown
Old 09-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Cross-country

Ayun, very helpful links, thanks sir Lui-G...
Old 09-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Freeride

saw white lightning at paulinas last week P450
Old 09-03-2008, 10:02 AM

Thanks alot guys!

malaking tulong to, panay kasi kulay black chain ko e

hehe....
Old 09-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Single-Speeder

not only white lightning is available chain lube in the market now... you can also find pedros, finish line, etc...etc...

just look if it's dri lube, meron din kasi na for wet condition, which makes your chain a little black, but not so black when you use motor oil...
Old 09-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Cross-country

Share ko lang a pic of my White Lightning...

does'nt say there to lube your bike after every ride or when drivetrain requires additional lubrication, although it does mention a "first application" procedure.. :thinking: Anyways, this is a great product!

__
Old 09-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Suspended

I've run out of Tri-Flow dri lube so I'm thinking of trying White Lightning. Tri-Flow doesn't last long, btw. Had to re-apply after every ride.
Anyone knows where to buy this product in Metro Manila?
Thanks!
Links
Old 09-05-2008, 11:24 AM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumgearsolid View Post
I've run out of Tri-Flow dri lube so I'm thinking of trying White Lightning. Tri-Flow doesn't last long, btw. Had to re-apply after every ride.
Anyone knows where to buy this product in Metro Manila?
Thanks!
a friend of mine bought his white lightning lube in Ross at Cartimar and i saw some bottles at True Value hardware in Alabang Town Center. this was a few months back though.

MELAMINE FREE SINCE 2004
Old 09-09-2008, 11:16 AM

i've been using white lightning since it first came out in the mid '90s
available sa velocity.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwas View Post
i've been using white lightning since it first came out in the mid '90s
available sa velocity.

Same here! You will never ever have a clf tattoo with white lightning.:thumbsup:

One time a mate asked me why my chain look so neat and is it lubed?

But he also mentioned that it is quiet despite the absence of oil:whistling:

I revealed the secret. White Lightning.

Olden times, I melt candle and drip it link per link before it dries up. Close to burning down the house(Talking Heads) and moms scolding. I stop that practice.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Same here! You will never ever have a clf tattoo with white lightning.:thumbsup:

One time a mate asked me why my chain look so neat and is it lubed?

But he also mentioned that it is quiet despite the absence of oil:whistling:

I revealed the secret. White Lightning.

Olden times, I melt candle and drip it link per link before it dries up. Close to burning down the house(Talking Heads) and moms scolding. I stop that practice.
na enganyo akong sumali sa culto ng pag wa white lightning simula nung una ko syang ipatak sa kadena ng bisikleta ko. hi edgar!
willie, sa kandila ride.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Bike Commuter

gotta try the white lightning. sa ngayon, dun pa din ako sa linis joy at singer oil!:thumbsup:
Links

Tags
chain, drivetrain, dry, lube