PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > General MTBiking Discussion

Notices

General MTBiking Discussion If its about MTB but doesn't fit in the other boards.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 06-06-2011, 11:36 AM
All-Mountain

Default Why do you ride your "MTB" on the road?

This thread is inspired by the thread "Does it make me less of a mountainbiker if I dont ride on trails?"

My first "serious" bike was an ATB (MTB ngayon) at that time when your bike frame was made by Nonet (instead of Ave), your frame material was cro-mo (not aluminum), astig ka pag yung fork mo may suspension (kahit 1 inch lang hehe) and you went to the bike shop to see Janet and Benjie (not Jane). Wala pa masyadong trails noon and we road (pun intended) most (if not all of the time) on roads-- up to antipolo, "epic" rides to tagaytay, etc. Until it hit me, puro naman road eh di magbuo ako ng road bike. Fast forward a decade or two later, and i see the same dilemma.

I read threads about riding 700 kms on pure paved road and I ask myself-- why ride the clunky MTB on road instead of a road bike? Gagastos ka ng malaki para pagaanin yung MTB mo pero sigurado yung entry level road bike will still be lighter than your high end MTB. Papanipisin mo yung rims at tires mo pero the road wheelset will still be more efficient. Gagamit ka ng straight bars pero still the road bike geometry will be more aerodynamic.

So why do people who purposely ride only on roads, use an MTB instead of a road bike. Huwag na natin pagusapan yung mga biker na padyak all the way kaya kailangan siyempre pumadyak sa kalsada para makarating sa trail. Heto yung mga biker na talagang gusto kalsada lang pumadyak. Bakit hindi na lang sila magbuo ng road bike?

From my own experience, heto ang dahilan ko noon bakit hesitant ako mag-shift from ATB to roadie--

1. Takot ako sa mga roadie, at sa kultura nila. Masyadong seryoso, walang usapan at tawanan habang pumapadyak. Walang hintayan, kitakits na lang sa destinasyon. Puro karera ang nasa utak. Kung mahina ka kawawa ka.

2. Ayoko magsuot ng felix bakat, period. hehehe

3. Ang mahal ng road bike.

4. Masakit sa katawan ang road bike, lalo na sa mga kalsada nating lubak-lubak.

5. Ayokong mag-bike ng nakayuko.

6. Ayoko magahit ng mga binti at braso. hehehe

7. Ayoko magsuot ng rattan na backpack sa likod ko.

8. Ayoko maglakad ng may suot na sapatos na nasa harap ang takong. hehe

pero siyempre eventually pinili ko pa rin mag-road bike noon kasi yun ang pinaka-logical na gawin.

kayo, ano palusot niyo?
Links
Old 06-06-2011, 12:01 PM
All-Mountain

Default Re: Why do you ride your "MTB" on the road?

minsan na akong nag roadie ngunit makalipas ang isang taon nanakaw ito. kaya mtb naman ngayon. wala na akong ibang bisikleta maliban dito kaya mtb lang ang gamit ko sa kalsada.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Single-Speeder

always wondered about the same matter - "kung sa road lang naman, bakit hindi road bike ang ginagamit nila." often see mtbs with skinny tires too and always ask myself the same question. this was compounded summer last year with many having a penchant for baguio, so the question nagged me yet again.

'to each his own' nga siguro and all your points are valid. although i use my mtb both ways, let me add a couple:
1. for bike commuting lang (beater);
2. for simple errands

i don't think i'm biased against road riding and always enjoyed the many forms of cycling i've had the fortune of trying but the main reasons i try to avoid the roads are the reckless drivers we have here and the emissions. besides, mas mainit ang singaw ng kalye.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Downhiller

very interesting topic , thank you vwbeetle for bringing this out , i do not have the guts to do so haha. this should be a hot one.

naaliw ako sa listahan mo lalo na sa '"ayaw mong magahit " haha . pero mas naaliw ako how you shared a short history of the local biking scene in a witty fashion , with your first-hand experience in the philippine biking community...you have the "K" so-to speak to raise this question.

i'd build a road bike when the time comes ..when i decide to get off the trails.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Suspended

Haha! Natawa ako sa mga "palusot" ni Thread Starter!
Heto palusot ko kumbakit mountain bike ang gamit ko sa araw-araw samantalang puro kalsada naman ang dinadaanan ko to and from the office:
1. Ayoko ng mataas ang upuan. Mahirap tumukod sa pagitan ng dalawang naggigitgitang jeepney.
2. Ayoko ng mababa ang manubela.
3. Ayokong magsuot ng "roadie attire".
At higit sa lahat..
4.Bibili muna ako ng wheelchair bago ako bumili ng road bike.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:13 PM
All-Mountain

gusto ko versatile na bike e. yung pwede sa road at pwede sa trails. wala kasi akong pambili ng kotse plus di ako marunong mag drive kaya MTB na lang.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:20 PM

Mas komportable ako sa MTB..sa dami ng lubak sa pinas, mas safe ang MTB kesa Roadbike. di ka naman makahataw sa manila pars mag road bike, kung antipolo at UP kalang, better mag MTB....kaya ako MTB
Old 06-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Global Moderator

yung totoo? he he he

simple lang. hangga't may lubak ang major na kalsada sa pinas.....hindi ko ico-consider na road....trail pa rin yan, he he he.

seriously, naawa ako sa components ng roadbike kapag nakakalog ng kalsada.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Downhiller

Wala pa kasi akong road bike kaya MTB muna.

Ikaw na naman?!
Old 06-06-2011, 05:03 PM
All-Mountain

"So why do people who purposely ride only on roads, use an MTB instead of a road bike. Huwag na natin pagusapan yung mga biker na padyak all the way kaya kailangan siyempre pumadyak sa kalsada para makarating sa trail. Heto yung mga biker na talagang gusto kalsada lang pumadyak. Bakit hindi na lang sila magbuo ng road bike?" - vwbeetle

Like you said, let's not consider those who ride to commute. But the main reason some serious mountain bikers still ride the road is specificity. They're in training. Let's face it, when you race mountain bikes, being able to spin efficiently is still a plus as well as being able to build endurance. And you can do this in two ways... (i) ride a trainer at home and (ii) ride on the road. You want a place where you can really spin properly and not be confusing that with trail chatter and drops. When training for endurance, doing this on the road is still the better option. However, this doesn't mean that you should leave the trails. You still need to ride on trails to improve your handling skills (but this is off topic already). I still prefer to ride a mountain bike because it's different from the road bike. I race mountain bikes not road bikes and therefore I train on mountain bikes and not road bikes.

"From my own experience, heto ang dahilan ko noon bakit hesitant ako mag-shift from ATB to roadie--" - vwbeetle

Reasons ko why I don't ride road bikes? Haha... ang dami.. pero on top of the list are...

(1) I prefer the freedom to go where I choose... hop a curb or go to the rough shoulder if necessary. Sometimes I climb Antipolo on the gravel just to practice climbing on this terrain. Haha.

(2) Most road bikes too me looks the same (as I'm sure for a roadie most mountain bikes look the same too). But there's a lot more individuality in our bikes. Just ask yourself how you remember your friend's bikes.

(3) They're very skittish. You feel every crack on the road, slip on road markers, jar your brain when you go through paint strips (a.ka.a rumble strips).

(4) Because they're less efficient on the road.. there's a certain high if you can keep up with road biker friend while using your mountain bike. Your training is beginning to pay off.

(5) Same as above... I really like the MtB culture more. Friendlier.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Downhiller

Thumbs up Re: Why do you ride your "MTB" on the road?

wala kasi suspension fork ang road bike...
Old 06-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Cross-country

Because I can.

I too own a road bike but I will never ride it to work or for other bike commuting purposes. I only ride it in roads that I know are managable (AAV, Daang Hari, Tagaytay, etc.). Masyadong delikado lalo na sa gabe na hindi mo kita lahat ng lubak. Our roads are riddled with potholes enough to be considered trails as well. Though our MTBs are less efficient in terms of propulsion compared to a road bike, its still safer and more versatile.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Cross-country

I own a road bike and also a mountain bike. I use my mountain bike on epic rides when ride out time is before dawn and/or when I will still be on the road after dusk. The reason is because it is safer to use a mountain bike in the dark especially in Philippine roads. Veering off the paved road to the gravel shoulder in the dark, when a speeding bus or truck overtakes you, is not a problem with a mountain bike. With a road bike, it's a very dangerous maneuver, you can end up with your face on the ground.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Cross-country

gusto ko yung roadbike components pero yoko ng frame at dropbar ng racer, bukod sa tumatama yung bayag ko frame (masakit sa betlog) tumatama din yung paa ko sa gulong pag lumiliko at ayoko rin ng outfit ng racer, hindi bagay sakin hehhehe
Old 06-06-2011, 06:36 PM
All-Mountain

wala ako pera for a road bike or even a hybrid bike pero gusto ko... sa road bike naman, di ko alam if kaya ko naka-yuko the whole time dahil ang laki ng tiyan ko...
Links
Old 06-06-2011, 06:49 PM
All-Mountain

^ ahaha! Natawa naman ako sa comment nyo Sir na malaki ang tyan

Ako naman, unang una. sabihin nyo nang ignorante ako pero di ko pa talaga alam dati ano ang road bike Ang alam ko lang e MTB. Until yung maninipis pala na gulong yung road bike ang tawag

Pangalawa, mas gusto ko ang ma expose at mag explore sa trails and nature kesa sa trapik at mga pasaway na sasakyan. Mainitin pa naman ang ulo ko. Gusto ko maging katulad ng Trainer ko na halimaw

Pangatlo, pwede kasi pang padyak kahit saan ang MTB, mapa road man o trails. Ang road bike sa pagkakaalam ko e kawawa pag idinaan mo sa trails (tama po ba ako? )

So far, yan po ang mga dahilan ko. Sa ngayon, baguhan pa lang kasi ako kaya more on roads muna ako nagsasanay pero looking forward to trails and mountains very very very very soon
Old 06-06-2011, 07:19 PM
PMTB Mentor

dahil pilipinas to

sa pinoy setting IMHO where financial capacity ay limited, you need to have versatility to enjoy both world of cycling....doing road and trails.

with my mtb, i can have that versatility, i am a padyakoldaway guy and i start my ride from my house to wherever (padyakoldaway-manageable) trails that i want to ride.

i also ride my mtb on the road kasi i don't want to limit what i can do with my only bicycle, which brings me back to this anecdote some 5 years ago when the gang decided to do a QC-caliraya ride with our MTB's.

on a pitstop sa isang resto sa taas na ng bugarin, one roadie approached us:

roadie: san ang biyahe ninyo?
mtbiker: sa caliraya
roadie: habang pinipisil ang knobbie tire ng isang tropa....."ang taba ng gulong ninyo"

and if i may add........it makes me feel special doing epic road trips on a knobbied MTB
Old 06-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Single-Speeder

Minimum wage earner, ayokong makipag-siksikan sa jeep, bus o mrt, minsan na akong nag-jeep sa sobrang bagal gusto ko nang agawin ang manibela, sobrang trapik, mahal ang pamasahe, mahal ang pagkain sa canteen, minsan umuuwi ako sa trabaho ng hatinggabi mahirap sumakay, takot ako maholdap kaya ayokong lumakad sa dilim mag-isa, exercise na rin, walang gastos sa gasolina, walang usok, pwede sumingit, walang huli kahit sa counter-flow.....after 6 years ngayon ko lang na-realize na kung commuter ako sa loob ng isang linggo, isang buwan, isang taon..magkano ang natipid for 6 years as bike commuter at matitipid ko pa?..

Eto trip lang: Minsan nag-ride kami sa Sierra Madre, may nakita akong grupo ng motor sa isang hotel, itinabi ko yung bike ko sa mga motor.....ganda ng feeling, na naakyat ko ang naakyat ng motor gamit ang bike.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Freeride

ako almost nasa road parati.. every sunday padyak all the way... from haus to pasig.. kasama ko kasi puro naka racer including my dad... kaya HT kinuha kong frame.. hehehe
Old 06-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Freeride

To answer the OP's question..."Why do you ride your MTB on the road?", my answers are...to get to the trailhead (if needed) & for endurance training.

As for my roadbike & roadie sentiments, i have nothing against them because i used to be a roadie. My 1st "serious" bike was a roadbike which i built from scratch using my "ipon" from my baon, i was still in high school then. Now, i would still love to own & ride a roadbike but as a family man, i can't anymore. I must be very "controlled" with my expenses. I also find trails more exciting. I'm hooked on nature!