PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions

Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions For newbies who wanted to ask any info on mountainbiking stuff.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store MT Pro Bikes Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports ISOLINK Mtb Suspension System Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano Business Venture 888 - 12 O'Clock Bike Components Parts and Accessories.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:37 AM
Bike Commuter

Default Santa Cruz Heckler vs. Trek Remedy vs. Giant Reign (frame)

good day mga gurus.... im planing to build my second bike and my dicipline is XC/AM, alin po kaya ang dapat kong piliin , im eyeing on heckler but i need your best opinion mga sir , any suggestion is very much appreciated... tia...

Old 03-14-2011, 04:25 AM
Downhiller

Default Re: Santa Cruz Heckler vs. Trek Remedy vs. Giant Reign (frame)

kung sa ibabase sa pinaka bling bling, para sakin trek remedy.. for simplicity at performance dun ako sa heckler, less maintenance kase heckler at single pivot ito.. pero depende din sa parts, yung vote ko ay sa frame lang.

pero ang porma talaga ng trek remedy eto link: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...emedy/remedy9/

it's your call kase lahat sila magaganda! hehe

Old 03-14-2011, 06:09 AM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by npafaller View Post
kung sa ibabase sa pinaka bling bling, para sakin trek remedy.. for simplicity at performance dun ako sa heckler, less maintenance kase heckler at single pivot ito.. pero depende din sa parts, yung vote ko ay sa frame lang.

pero ang porma talaga ng trek remedy eto link: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...emedy/remedy9/

it's your call kase lahat sila magaganda! hehe
thank you sir npafaller, ganda talaga ng TREK, hehehe... bling talaga, pero yun din lang sir ang nagustuhan ko sa heckler, yung simplicity nya, pero no idea sa performance... sana marami pang mag comments.... para makakuha ako ng maraming pointers and idea...

Old 03-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Cross-country

If you want a versatile bike that can go xc-am, go with the heckler. Very good climber and can bomb trails. I suggest you go with the rp23 so you can have an open damping on the rear shox for bombing rocky or dh trails. Dropouts and bearings are easily available from authorize distributor. Giant also have a good suspension design on the maestro (trance user before) but most bikers that I know kept on telling me that giant have a thinner tubing that's why they are light but I don't have any proof to support this, just words from veteran bikers. But you can't also go wrong with them since they perform well on climbs and can also bomb trails, maestro suspension is quite impressive. Can't comment on the trek since I haven't own one yet! Happy hunting! Ride in peace!

Old 03-15-2011, 12:41 AM
Bike Commuter

thank you sir humprey sa comment mo, hehehe... mejo nabubuo na nga ang desisyon ko for heckler kahit na ilan pa lang ang nariringgan ko ng comment sa frame na yun, the problem is ang hirap bumili ng frame na yun, san po ba makakabili ng heckler, san po ba ang distributor ng santa cruz dito sa pinas, just in case, hehehe... yung giant and trek kasi e sa lifecycle lang kaya mejo madaling humanap... maraming salamat po uli...

Old 03-15-2011, 06:20 AM
Cross-country

hi, why dont you go for santa cruz nomad...it's slightly pricier but better overall

Old 03-15-2011, 07:23 AM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny3 View Post
hi, why dont you go for santa cruz nomad...it's slightly pricier but better overall
hehehehe... ayos nga po sana kaso di na po kaya ng budget, mejo hinigit ko na po kasi yung budget ko para lang paabutin sa range nung 3 na pinagpipilian ko, hehehe... and sir san po ba ang distributor ng santa cruz dito sa pinas.tia

Old 03-15-2011, 09:16 AM
All-Mountain

Sir try to get in touch with FA Comp, they are the SC distributor here in the Philippines.
I emailed them before and got a very prompt reply, you can also try sending them an sms.

I'm also in the process of building a SC Heckler, medyo part by part lang kasi magastos. But I'm sure after i'm done with this project all the effort, time and money placed on this Heckler project will be worth it.

FA Comp
BF Homes, Paranaque

+63915.5730921
scb.philippines@gmail.com
www.facomp.net

They also have facebook page, try searching Santa Cruz Bicycles - Maynila

Old 03-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodtrip View Post
Sir try to get in touch with FA Comp, they are the SC distributor here in the Philippines.
I emailed them before and got a very prompt reply, you can also try sending them an sms.

I'm also in the process of building a SC Heckler, medyo part by part lang kasi magastos. But I'm sure after i'm done with this project all the effort, time and money placed on this Heckler project will be worth it.

FA Comp
BF Homes, Paranaque

+63915.5730921
scb.philippines@gmail.com
www.facomp.net

They also have facebook page, try searching Santa Cruz Bicycles - Maynila

thank you so much for the info sir, what im gonna do is transfer all my components from my TREK 8500 2011 series to the XC/AM frame that im going to buy after i decided which of the frame im gonna take among the 3 choices.... i have a 2011 xt gruppo... kaya mejo magaan na rin po sa akin kasi may components na ako, hehehe... frame na lang talaga and fork kung saka-sakali, by the way sir, magkano po ang bili mo sa frame mo if you dont mind, you can send me a pm kung di po pwede dito sa thread ilagay yung price, thank a lot...

Old 03-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Downhiller

IMHO:

brands only

SC is one of my faves "brands" in this hobby.. Seeing most of the action from this frames from the earlier whistler videos -10 year strong (heckler+twoshoes+whistlerhills+godrider)

treks 8's and .9's are a blingy and maybe one of the best eye candy bikes out in the market (ganda ng kulay and finish)

giant hmmnn..i find them heavy..as most of there AM frames are but have the best rear "maestro" out there..

If your into freeriding im sure id pick the SC
If your into XC aggressive races id go for the trek's (pedal rear design)
If im going to bomb DH and would really think about where my ass lands id go for giant

Old 03-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Cross-country

If you can add a little more on your budget try to consider also the santacruz butcher. I tried my friend's bike and I'm quite impressed with the APP design, i hardly feel any bob ang can bomb trails.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naive View Post
IMHO:

brands only

SC is one of my faves "brands" in this hobby.. Seeing most of the action from this frames from the earlier whistler videos -10 year strong (heckler+twoshoes+whistlerhills+godrider)

treks 8's and .9's are a blingy and maybe one of the best eye candy bikes out in the market (ganda ng kulay and finish)

giant hmmnn..i find them heavy..as most of there AM frames are but have the best rear "maestro" out there..

If your into freeriding im sure id pick the SC
If your into XC aggressive races id go for the trek's (pedal rear design)
If im going to bomb DH and would really think about where my ass lands id go for giant
im not so much on freeriding, i do a lot of xc and trails sir... kaya mejo matimbang sa akin ang SC, but i find trek so bling talaga, coz i have one, kaso hardtail lang... yung latest po ng trek 8500, and i heard about the best link of giant, the "maestro", so mejo naguguluhan pa rin po ako, hehehe... lahat nga kasi maganda... but thank you po sa comments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpey View Post
If you can add a little more on your budget try to consider also the santacruz butcher. I tried my friend's bike and I'm quite impressed with the APP design, i hardly feel any bob ang can bomb trails.
yes sir, butcher is one of my choices before, kaya lang para mabigat ito ng konti sa heckler kaya inalis ko na sya sa mga pinagpipilian ko. hehehe... thank you po uli.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Bike Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhabonga View Post
im not so much on freeriding, i do a lot of xc and trails sir... kaya mejo matimbang sa akin ang SC, but i find trek so bling talaga, coz i have one, kaso hardtail lang... yung latest po ng trek 8500, and i heard about the best link of giant, the "maestro", so mejo naguguluhan pa rin po ako, hehehe... lahat nga kasi maganda... but thank you po sa comments...

yes sir, butcher is one of my choices before, kaya lang para mabigat ito ng konti sa heckler kaya inalis ko na sya sa mga pinagpipilian ko. hehehe... thank you po uli.
Hi! Kung mostly XC/Trail ka I think a 5 inch travel bike is enough for almost all of our terrain. Kung talagang gusto mo mag Sta. Cruz then I think mas bagay ang Nickel or at the most the Blur LT. Kung gusto mo mas bling then the look into the Trek Fuel Ex (Kaso they don't sell the frame only). Kung Giant then go for the Trance X.

If you plan on doing aggressive trail riding - as in lots of drops and small jumps then balik tayo sa original choices mo.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:18 AM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMI View Post
Hi! Kung mostly XC/Trail ka I think a 5 inch travel bike is enough for almost all of our terrain. Kung talagang gusto mo mag Sta. Cruz then I think mas bagay ang Nickel or at the most the Blur LT. Kung gusto mo mas bling then the look into the Trek Fuel Ex (Kaso they don't sell the frame only). Kung Giant then go for the Trance X.

If you plan on doing aggressive trail riding - as in lots of drops and small jumps then balik tayo sa original choices mo.
sir ACMI, Blur LT is to expensive for me, nickel is still ok but a bit expensive too, and bit heavier than heckler, naku la pala ako chance sa TREK if they dont sell frame only, and what about giant sir, do they sell frame only... thank you so much on your comment sir... ride safe...

Old 03-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Bike Fanatic

Bigat pala ang Nickel compared sa Heckler? I didn't know that. I thought they would make it lighter.

Your best chance sa Trek full-sus frame is at buy and sell section. Daming Trek hardtails na frame only na brand new pero usually disassembled yan from built bike. Di pa ako naka kita na FS frame only na brand new.

Yes, Giant sells frames only.
Specialized Camber has been getting good reviews also and it's available as a frame.

Pero.... kung if you have your heart set on the heckler then go for it. Ikaw naman ang mag ride. Just ride it hard.

Links
Old 03-18-2011, 10:38 AM
All-Mountain

Talking Re: Santa Cruz Heckler vs. Trek Remedy vs. Giant Reign (frame)

sir whatever frame you choose pa post agad ng pic hehe

panalo kahit ano dyan sir hehe

Old 03-19-2011, 01:21 AM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMI View Post
Bigat pala ang Nickel compared sa Heckler? I didn't know that. I thought they would make it lighter.

Your best chance sa Trek full-sus frame is at buy and sell section. Daming Trek hardtails na frame only na brand new pero usually disassembled yan from built bike. Di pa ako naka kita na FS frame only na brand new.

Yes, Giant sells frames only.
Specialized Camber has been getting good reviews also and it's available as a frame.

Pero.... kung if you have your heart set on the heckler then go for it. Ikaw naman ang mag ride. Just ride it hard.

yes sir, according to their website, Nickel is weighing 7.37lbs while Heckler is only 6.77lbs, http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/home/

oo nga sir, i ask my wife to call lifecycle and they dont sell trek fullsus frame, but they sale giant as a frame only, kahit ako sir binebenta ko rin yung trek 8500 ko, 2011 series, kasi nga im planing to build a new fs... saka di ko rin nagagamit yung bike ko, mga 8 beses pa lang, hehehe since i built it... kasi bigla ako pinaalis ng company namin kaya yung naka kulambo lang sa bahay, hehehe... sir san po ang distributor ng specialized, mukhang ok din nga yun camber.... maganda yung madaming pagpipilian kaso masakit sa ulo, hahahaha... lalo na kung maganda lahat.... thanks po uli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauitaylor View Post
sir whatever frame you choose pa post agad ng pic hehe

panalo kahit ano dyan sir hehe

dont worry sir, im surely post as soon as i get one, thanks....

Old 03-19-2011, 02:18 AM

heckler dude, ganyan gamit ni Dennis Trillo, mas maraming pogi points.... xc/am. pero trek remedy ako.... hahahaha

Old 03-19-2011, 04:41 AM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by an2nySS View Post
heckler dude, ganyan gamit ni Dennis Trillo, mas maraming pogi points.... xc/am. pero trek remedy ako.... hahahaha
ayos anthony, wlang mabilhan ng heckler jan sa atin, yung trek remedy naman di pala binebenta ng frame lang.... hay... we'll see... baka bagsakan ko nito e merida na lang.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Cross-country

If you're so into the weight, go with the giant. I woudn't go with merida. 4 bar vs. Maestro..... think about it!