PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > Brake System

Notices

Brake System Discuss tech help/info for: Hydraulics/Cables Disc Brakes System
Calipers, Rotors, Brake Lever and others related to Brake System.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 02-24-2011, 11:43 AM

Default Deore LX Mecha VS Avid Juicy 3 Hydro Disc Brakes

I replaced my OLD Deore LX Mecha disc brakes with an Avid Juicy 3 Hydro Disc brakes, problem is the rotors, since i have a shimano centerlock rotors, i could not use the Avid rotors that came with the Avid Hydro Brakes since they are 6 bolt type rotors.

Need Help on the following

1. Was my decision to change my Deore LX Mecha Disc Brakes to Avid Juicy 3 Hydro Disc Brakes correct?

2. Since i cant use the Avid rotors, will using the old shimano center lock rotors make any difference (performance wise). Or will it be better if i buy an adaptor and use the avid rotors? or buy a bolt type hubs?

3. Rank according to weight, Which one weighs less (total weight Hubs+rotors), (assuming same brand and model except that the other is centerlock and the other is 6 bolt type)

a. centerlock hubs + centerlock rotors
b. centerlock hubs + adaptor + 6 bolt rotors
c. 6bolt type hubs + 6 bolt type rotors

Thanks.
Links
Old 02-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Downhiller

Default Re: Deore LX Mecha VS Avid Juicy 3 Hydro Disc Brakes

1) haven't tried LX mechs but Juicy 3s are sooo bad. Which is weird because Juicy 7s and up are really good.

2) stick with your rotors. There is probably a difference but you will not notice it. Been using Avid Roundagon rotors on LX hydros for the longest time.

Ayoko sagutin yung number 3
Old 03-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Downhiller

Sir
mas mabigat ang 6-bolts hub sa centerlock hubs.
6-bolt rotor ay mas magaan sa center lock rotors

If you want to use po your bolted rotor, may nabibili naman adaptor para magfit sa centerlock hub. (cheaper than buying a new hub, if you do not intend to replace it.)
Old 03-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Sir
mas mabigat ang 6-bolts hub sa centerlock hubs.
6-bolt rotor ay mas magaan sa center lock rotors

If you want to use po your bolted rotor, may nabibili naman adaptor para magfit sa centerlock hub. (cheaper than buying a new hub, if you do not intend to replace it.)
how about the other way around meron po bang nabibiling adaptor para ang six bolt hub ay maging centerlock hub?
Old 03-02-2011, 05:57 PM
All-Mountain

@ekim no such thing sir

With regards to using centerlocks hubs + 6bolts rotor with adaptor, i've used this kind of setup for almost a year. Its true na mas magaan ang 6bolt rotors in comparison to centerlocks even with the added weight of the adaptor, but the thing i've noticed is hindi pantay ang 'rotational weight' ng wheels if you're using adaptors. Try spinning the rear wheels hard while holding the bike up. You will notice the bike shaking like crazy back and forth.

That being said, I rather use 'mates': centerlock hubs with its rotors, or 6bolt hubs and 6bolt rotors

Tags
avid, brake, deore, hydro, rotors