PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions

Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions For newbies who wanted to ask any info on mountainbiking stuff.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines

Old 02-05-2015, 02:49 PM
Lurker

Default Altus set for road use

Good day! I'm currently using mg SGM Velocity as my everyday ride from home to work. Its configured for mostly road use. Here is my question:

is it worth it to to have an all Altus groupset on my SGM? my current RD is Altus and FD is Tourney, i'm planning to upgrade the rest of my components to Altus FD and Shifters, I will be using non series shimano hubs, rotors and disc brakes as replacement for the stock parts that are installed on my bike (brakes are not gripping and hubs are noisy and rough). 100% road use bike to work. TIA

Addendum:

what i the best crankset for this kind of setup?

Old 02-06-2015, 01:23 AM
All-Mountain

Default Re: Altus set for road use

Sure go ahead. Unless you're a very big guy who likes to hammer his bike up very rough roads, Shimano Altus and Tourney components should work just fine.

Although Shimano does have a disclaimer for using their budget components for "serious" mountain riding, for road use you should have no problems.

As for upgrades, I'd probably start with the brakes as you mentioned they aren't very strong. As for the crankset, I think I would try to find a one with a 48-36-26T triple chainring. The big chainring allows you to go faster on the road.

And I think the fenders on your bike are a smart idea for keeping road dirt and mud away from the clothes you wear to work.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:32 AM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinni83 View Post
Good day! I'm currently using mg SGM Velocity as my everyday ride from home to work. Its configured for mostly road use. Here is my question:

is it worth it to to have an all Altus groupset on my SGM? my current RD is Altus and FD is Tourney, i'm planning to upgrade the rest of my components to Altus FD and Shifters, I will be using non series shimano hubs, rotors and disc brakes as replacement for the stock parts that are installed on my bike (brakes are not gripping and hubs are noisy and rough). 100% road use bike to work. TIA

Addendum:

why not change your gears that's meant for a road instead? and change your wheels to slick/semi slick. reason is if you're using it 100% road you won't be needing the 'mountain gears' and the tire knobs. going from large width knobbies to slick/semi slick on road will be a huge comfort for you as well as its easier to pedal.

thing is you'll have to find a shifter for flat bars - not sure if this is available locally (Shimano Tiagra 10-Speed Flat Bar Road Bicycle Shifter Set - SL-4600):

Old 02-06-2015, 09:00 AM
Lurker

thanks! i'll go with Altus then, i have no problems with my RD, with a little tuning it shifts smoothly.

@spyghost - i think that tiagra flat bar shifter is a hard find. Yep, i'm currently using a Maxxis Detonatr 26 x 1.50 tires, they're smooth and much easy to pedal. As for comfort, i have no suspension components on my bike im using both a hardtail and rigid fork, my tire pressure is at max 80 psi and yet its not that harsh even on uneven cemented paved roads that is common in our country. Asphalt road feels like heaven..

Old 02-06-2015, 09:47 AM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
why not change your gears that's meant for a road instead? and change your wheels to slick/semi slick. reason is if you're using it 100% road you won't be needing the 'mountain gears' and the tire knobs. going from large width knobbies to slick/semi slick on road will be a huge comfort for you as well as its easier to pedal.

thing is you'll have to find a shifter for flat bars - not sure if this is available locally (Shimano Tiagra 10-Speed Flat Bar Road Bicycle Shifter Set - SL-4600):
Unless you're running 10 cogs at the back, you don't need the SL-4600. Altus is 8-speed I believe. As long as the RD and shifter aren't 10-speed DynaSys MTB parts, there's no problem mixing and matching road and MTB parts at the rear.

I have the SL-4600 + SL-4603 (left shifter for road triple cranks), bought from Paulina's in Cartimar sometime last year. Installed it on my folding bike when I upgraded to a Tiagra drivetrain at the rear. It's still available from Coolstuff168ph but it's become much more expensive these days.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:11 AM

I suggest go to deore series. I have altus and it only lasted 3months. My fd shifter broke. Deore is much better and durable when thinking long term

I ride everyday for 2 hours as a commuter. In a hybrid. Roadbike frame with mtb components and a santour sr fork.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:55 PM

check-out Alivio groupset also instead of altus, a notch better than altus, cheaper than deore

Old 03-03-2015, 08:28 AM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
Unless you're running 10 cogs at the back, you don't need the SL-4600. Altus is 8-speed I believe. As long as the RD and shifter aren't 10-speed DynaSys MTB parts, there's no problem mixing and matching road and MTB parts at the rear.

I have the SL-4600 + SL-4603 (left shifter for road triple cranks), bought from Paulina's in Cartimar sometime last year. Installed it on my folding bike when I upgraded to a Tiagra drivetrain at the rear. It's still available from Coolstuff168ph but it's become much more expensive these days.
Do you think this:

can fit an i-spec integration unit? deore, slx, xt, or xtr?

Old 03-03-2015, 08:55 AM
All-Mountain

if I were you sir... I will use that bike as it is... kung meron man ako upgrade.. for sure the following..

Fork - convert to rigid MOSSO (lighter kasi)
Gulong - convert it to 1.5 / 35c (sleek and fast rolling)

pwede na ito pamasok ( not mend for racing... who want to race with jeep, bus taxi and motorbikes.... suicide yun.... kailangan maingat at medyo mabagal lang takbo..

then save your money... tutal di ka nag babayad sa pamasahe ng jeep/bus /taxi...

then buo ka ng second bike maporma at matibay...pang long rides at pang sali sa karera.. duon mo ilabas ang bilis at lakas mo....your wish your command...

Old 03-03-2015, 09:30 AM
Bike Fanatic

Wala akong nakikitang improvement from tourney to altus FD
Save your money

Eventually get an alivio groupset or better

Old 03-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Cross-country

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinni83 View Post

Addendum:

focus ka muna dun sa main problem mo, the brakes that are not gripping and noisy hubs. use the bike habang ipon mode then like as always recommended, one time bigtime upgrade , to deore in your case. sulitin mo na yung existing set up mo. . . IMHO

Links