PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > All About DriveTrain

Notices

All About DriveTrain Discuss tech help/info on: Rear/Front Deraileur, Cranks
Bottom Bracket, Chains, Sprockets and Shifters.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 08-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Freeride

Exclamation Not a chain for heavy riders?

Kumustas!

Been using a Shimano CN-HG93 (Deore XT level 'ata) 9-speed chain for a couple of months now. Recently I snapped the chain at the most unfortunate of places while commuting to work: Right smack in the middle of Pedro Gil and Quirino/Magsaysay Blvd intersection! It broke into 3 pcs! The Missing/Powerlink, a 5-linker, and the rest of the chain! I am assuming the chain broke at the 5-linker, then dislodged the Missing/Powerlink and dislodging the rest of the chain off the drive system. I retrieved the 5 links and the rest of the chain but lost the other half of the Missing/Powerlink.

I am quite mystified by this. Is this kind of chain not recommended for heavy riders? I'm ~200lbs (without gear) and am usually riding a heavy gain ratio (44-12) for power-pedal training purposes. Does this usually happen? I can imagine this happening while on trail or in the middle of a steep climb (:eek: family jewels meet steerer tube, steerer tube meet family jewels!) and a real sure way to destroy a trip.

Lucky for me there's a couple of LBS near Paco Market where they installed the chain (minus the 5 links) and only because they didn't carry 9-speed chains.

Any recommendations for 9-speed chains which is heavy rider-specific? Or maybe, OK lang naman itong chain na 'to for heavy riders and what I experienced is only some definition of "S#!+ happens"? :sigh:

Some other concerns: May binebenta bang fake na HG93 chain? I bought this na nakaplastic lang (parang chicaron) and not in a box (like CN-7701).

Thanks and godspeed!
Old 08-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Cross-country

Default Re: Not a chain for heavy riders?

Shimano XT chains are plenty strong. I'm thinking that whomever originally installed the chain may have not used (or improperly used) the special Shimano pin required on most older Shimano chains. Fortunately, Shimano is moving away from the special pin design.
If you run Shimano chains, you'll always have to bring spare pins and a chain tool in case this happens. Or better yet, if you don't want to deal with pins, go with a SRAM chain.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Bike Commuter

lord paolo

since or how long are you using your chain?
my friend is heavier than you and only using HG73? breakage is not his problem but stretching (mabigat sya kasi).

you're right there are so many fake shimano chains(bulacan made daw) even mavic rims. be careful.

listen to bike techie flipnidaho
Old 08-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Freeride

on fake chains: dunno
on your experience: maybe wrong chain installation, or drive train not properly tuned,or bad shifting
on heavy riders: it doesn't really depend on the rider's weight-it's how 'heavy' you pedal
Old 08-30-2008, 09:19 PM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by deng View Post
you're right there are so many fake shimano chains(bulacan made daw) even mavic rims. be careful.
whoa... totoo ba ito? fake shimano chains sa Bulacan pa gawa? first time i've heard of this... how can we distinguish the genuine from the fake... obvious ba by mere inspection?

oh and yeah lordpaolo, you might have just gotten a lemon there or something. im 230+ lbs and just using an HG73, more than one year already. broke it once but the culprit was my rd and i kinda forced it. i've been using a KMC chain link on it ever since and never experienced any problems. rode it up to Licao, Cardiac and even Tagaytay without any hitch.

MELAMINE FREE SINCE 2004
Old 08-31-2008, 10:16 AM

After watching high speed, high torque sprint finishes by top Tour riders crossing the finish line at 40-45 mph, I'm convinced that 10 speed chains are plenty strong for us weekend warriors. 9 sp chains won't be any less strong.

I agree with the rest that a properly installed and maintained chain should have your full confidence. If you're breaking chains, it's not because they are weak or flimsy. Find the reason why they are breaking and make corrections. Was it the plate or the pin that broke? Maybe that will shed a clue.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:47 PM
All-Mountain

i agree to the others.. improper installation might be the cause. i use HG-73 chain, it snapped just after 2 hrs it was installed. i reconnect it myself by hammering the pin with a nail :). i didn'tknow yet about the missing link or powerlink etc. but since then the chain is ok.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:30 PM
Freeride

Sana nga I got a lemon and not a fake kasi, the biased me, I got another set of HG93.

I've been using the chain since June 8 or 9 with an average of 160 kilometers of road a week (take a few when it's either raining or hungover from a glorious drinking binge the night before). I didn't use the Shimano pins kasi from the start I've used the Missing/Powerlink. I use Pedro's Extra Dry for regular lubrication.

I can't really remember what end (either the 5-link length or the rest of the chain), nung napulot ko s'ya the pin was still there pero nakita ko na parang napunit 'yung naka-umbok sa kanto ng pin on one side. The other side was still fine. The only time I used a chain-tool on this chain was when cutting the brand new chain to the desired length. After that, the only way I disconnect the chain was from the Powerlink.

Haay! If unfortunately what I got was a fake then I hope there's some kind of way to tell the difference, unless the LBS would admit firsthand it is a fake which I believe 60-80% of LBS's wouldn't do.

Just to privately redeem the LBS from which I bought the first HG93, I bought the second set from them too. Silly me. :rolleyes:
Old 09-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Single-Speeder

nangyari nasa akin to. but only 3 links broken in my HG7701...

The main reason is already over use... I did not notice that my chain is already need for replacement but keep on using it. Hayun, one time, in normal road ride, snap into 3 parts...

kaya important rin talaga yong mag check ng chain from time to time....
Links

Tags
break, chain, heavy, link, pins