PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Single Speeder, 29ers & 69ers

Notices

Single Speeder, 29ers & 69ers For 29ers, 69ers and Single Speeder Fanatics

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 12-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Cross-country

Default 29er wheelset

Can you guys recommend a good reliable wheelset other than the crossmax 29. Going to put it on an Air9 and I really wanted something durable, realiable and can endure a heavy rider who do road and trails. Or if you can also recommend a wheelset build, a good rim and spokes I will also put that into consideration. Also a little bling factor for I will build it around Air9, fox and xtr. Thanks in advance!
Links
Old 12-29-2010, 11:41 PM
Freeride

Default Re: 29er wheelset

I would go for Chris King hubs + ZTR Flows + DTswiss revolution spokes with brass nipples then mount some nice, beefy tires to soften the ride.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:33 AM
Downhiller

+1 on the Stans ZTR Flows or Archs. Velocity P35s also have good reviews.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:50 AM
Bike Commuter

Halo Freedom also with good reviews
Old 12-30-2010, 07:04 AM
All-Mountain

"budget friendlier" than the ztr-ck-dt combo -- american classic

Old 12-30-2010, 11:35 AM
All-Mountain

American Classic, Fulcrum, WTB are whats normally available for build ones... for rims, ZTRs would be the choice...

but if you have the moolah and the means to order one, try out CB Cobalt... would perfectly match a raw or vanna white Air9...

http://crankbrothers.com/wheel_cobalt_29.php
Old 01-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Bike Commuter

fulcrum or velocity matibay
Old 01-03-2011, 10:40 AM
All-Mountain

My Hope + Velocity Blunt combo is holding up real good. I am 239lbs. BTW.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:51 PM

+1 for the Am Class set if you are on a budget.

For a high budget custom build, go for the Flows or Archs (by Stans), or Blunt by Velocity. I'm not sure if the DT Revo can take a heavy rider, to be sure, DT Competition is the next choice. As for hubs, it's a toss between I9 and Cris King. Also, avoid aluminum nipples if the rider is on the heavy side, use brass just to be sure.

Getting the services of a good wheel builder would be the best suggestion I can give. All those expensive stuff will be worthless in the hands on an amateur bike mechanic.

Good luck.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Bike Commuter

FULCRUM IS THE BEST!

I'm 6'1" and 205lbs. I do low jumps (2-4') on a hard tail (Fuji Tahoe SL 29 and Niner Air9), match with an aggressive riding on both trails and road (yes, road!), and it withstand all the torture. It even got a direct hit by a motorbike while it's attached on a bike rack at the back of an SUV (Caramoan, Camarines Sur). It just bent 1 spoke to about 2-3 mm from it's original position.

Best of all, it won't cost you an arm and a leg.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Bike Commuter

Howdy, we built a 29er wheelset recently. King's were to much so we used Hope Pro II's, DT Swiss Revo spokes and Stan's ZTR 355 rims running on 2.1 Schwalbe Alberts (di pa nga tubeless). Considering the wheelset makes up most of the kilogram count, weight of the complete bike is just below 24lbs. Simple lang porma, walang loud bling, mabilis, at matibay!
Old 01-06-2011, 03:34 PM

@markt: That is almost the same build as mine except for the hubs and tires. I went for the Conti MK infront and RK for the rear and set it up tubeless. A better word for the DT Revo spokes is resilient because it is flexy and strong.

+ 1 also with the fulcrum wheels. A little cheaper also against the Am Class but looks tougher.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:02 PM
All-Mountain

Default 29er wheelset, whats yours?

I might be in the market to buy or to build a wheelset sometime soon... Care to share yours? What are your components especially for those who built their wheelsets? If it was already a built one, what is it?

Reviews? Feedback? And importantly, weight? I hope you could share some info about your wheelsets irregardless of your riding style...
Old 04-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Suspended

Default Re: 29er wheelset, whats yours?

I already have a 29er wheelset but I haven't used it yet. Weight came in at 1,800 grams (Hope Pro II hubs 32H, Giant P29 28mm width rims, 64 DT Swiss Revo spokes, 64 CN alloy nips). That's all I can contribute for now.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Downhiller

i got mine from a friend, element hubs-revo spokes-wtb rims-stainless nips... good all around, medyo may flex yung spokes pero ok lang. mahinang tunog mayaman yung element. i replaced the skewer to steel skewers para mas malakas ang bite, good for my ss setup. walang slippage...
Old 04-05-2011, 08:40 PM
All-Mountain

I have a fulcrum redmetal 29 I've been using for about 2 months. So far so good. No complaints and really a bang for the buck purchase. It does not have the tunog mayaman sound if you're into that. I like my wheels quiet so it's fine with me. I also just biought an American classic one but have been using it only for a week so I can't say much about it. Seems well made and looks great. The freewheel is a little bit noisier than the fulcrum but barely.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:55 PM
All-Mountain

Wala pa bang bumibili ng Mavic C29ssmax ang Shimano (not sure of the model) wheelsets sa atin? I saw both those sets sa Gran Trail last weekend... Killer price yung sa Mavic since it retails at more than 40k... Di ko na natanong yung sa Shimano, should be less I guess...

Btw, my turn to share... I currently have a Token wheelset... I got this in Bikezilla and they told me that this was a prototype of some sort... Kasi wala din sa website ng Token... I just liked the color scheme, pasok sa theme ng bike ko... lol

Di siya masyado maingay at first but its getting noisier... Tama lang for me... Blingy enough, black rims and spokes with red nipps and hubs and skewers... My only concern is the weight... Though the problem is I wasnt able to weigh this before putting it in my bike...

Looking forward to the wheel setup of others...
Old 04-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Bike Commuter

I have the Mavic C29ssmax and I've been happy with it so far. I use it as my trail wheelset for my ss and my ht 29er.

I also have the Crank Brothers 29er Cobalts and it easily is my blingy-iest wheelset by far. Reliability was an issue at first, but since it already has the new cassette hub body which addressed the main issue of this wheelset, I feel that this problem has been solved already.

My favorite wheelset is the Hope/Velocity/DT Swiss one that i have in my trail bike and also the Hope/ZTR/DT Swiss I currently use on my ht 29er. Very reliable, sounds great - imo, and is also as light as any wheelset I've built.

I used to have a CK/ZTR/DT Swiss wheelset but I ended up selling the CK since I needed a 15qr hub and the Hopes were the fastest solution to my problem - I just bought a 15qr adapter and swapped out the standard qr for it in about 2 minutes. The CK was really good though and I find myself missing the buzzing sound the hub gave as opposed to the clicking/ticking sound of the hope and the crank bros wheelsets. Truth be told, I'm currently looking at getting a CK hub for my next project.

The lightest among the wheelsets is the Hope/ZTR/DT Swiss one.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:35 PM
All-Mountain

With regard to my comment above about the fulcrum being not too noisy, I discovered this morning that the sound from the pawls is getting louder. I hope it doesn't get any louder. I don't like it when it's noisy.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:02 PM
All-Mountain

@ aksdman Sir, you do have a lot of wheelsets and probably the most rare and uncommon ones. Im looking at building and having that Hope/ZTR wheelset combo someday and the price your paying for shouldnt be that much compared to other built wheelsets such as the Mavic and probably the CB.

@ lexvil Ganon din yung Token ko at first, ang tahimik. Pero after some rides, umiingay na siya pero of course, its far from the sound/noise of Hope. lol Btw, I've been hearing about things about the Fulcrum wheelsets such as having too much flex (this was actually one of the deciding factors why I went with the Token even if the Fulcrum was cheaper). Any comment about that?
Links