PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Road Bike Section

Road Bike Section For our road cousin!

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store MT Pro Bikes Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports ISOLINK Mtb Suspension System Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano Business Venture 888 - 12 O'Clock Bike Components Parts and Accessories.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: CycloCross (CX) bikes

Hi Guys,

I bike 4x's a week ave of 20-25kms in up and down hill paved roads since I live in the middle of the city using my 29er (trails maybe just 20% of the time) for cardio in the mornings. I was thinking of getting a road bike for my exercise and got curious w the Cyclocross as till now, I cant see the durability of a 23 thick tire. I dont like the cantilver brakes and waiting for the disk wc I saw now std w Specialized CXs.

My Question: am I thinking right about the CX or should I just go and get myself a roadie?

Links
Old 05-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Bike Commuter

CX bikes are routinely used in road races. In this year's Paris-Roubaix, Teams Tabobank and Europcar rode CX bikes, so they can ride bigger tires--much better in the cobbles.

A CX bike, as long as you have a spare wheelset with road tires, or even just road tires actually, can do double duty as both road and off-road machine.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:14 AM
Downhiller

This past Saturday while pushing my 29er up a very, very steep hill (even pushing the bike I was already out of breath), we were passed up by a rider on a cyclocross bike. Obviously he is strong that he didnt need lower gears as us mountain bikers do. And last week someone in our riding group rode his KHS CX bike and did well except he had to take it easy on the descents.

If you want to ride a roadbike on trails then sure get a CX. You'll have the benefit of riding faster than MTB's on the road.

I've seen a lot of pics of the rides posted here. Seriously most of those trails can be done with a CX bike.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Bike Commuter

Im looking more and more, to quote Specialized website:

"Whether commuting to work, exploring local singletrack treasures, or touring the coast with fully laden panniers, Tricross riders want the freedom to roam wherever they please—it’s their tool to explore pavement, gravel, dirt, you name it. Because of the ever-changing terrain they prefer, it’s important to have a lightweight, yet durable bike that gives them the flexibility to do it all."

Is this available here?

Old 05-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Downhiller

May built Giant TCX sa Lifecycles na dumedemonyo kay mackieboy. 32k ata yung lower model. Nakakatuwa dahil meron na talagang dumadating dito. As per tires, mukhang sakit pa din ata sa ulo maghanap?

Some of my co SiSSters are into this problem ngayon. Sell our geared MTBs, tutal bihira na nagagamit at kung kailanganin man sa long road ride pa, at bumili/assemble paunti unti ng CX bike. Matagal na tong bumabagabag sa isip namin.

Ang naiisip ko lang na alternative pansamantala is use my current MTB frame, pair it with rigid fork, use 700c wheels (at sa gabay ni bathala naway makahanap ng tires 28c up) and drop bars. I think i saw someone in the interwebs did this to his Giant XTC with matching hydraulic brake conversion pa. Hanapin ko nga muna yung link.

BTW ito yung I think the nearest i can get para sa CX bike conversion, more of monster cross. Saglit ko lang nagamit noon, mas mabilis pa umahon yung eyebrows ng mga nakakakitang roadies. hehehe. Too bad I wasnt able to try 700c wheels then.

SS set up with V brakes. Headache pairing it with drop levers.

This one I use mechanical disc, did some tweaking to match the cable pull using droplevers, it works without the need for a Travel Agent

Ayun Saw this link again
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132792

Im not familiar into road/CX bike geometry, what's the diff between the geometry compare to using a real CX frame vs MTB frame conversion?

Ikaw na naman?!
Links
Old 05-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Bike Commuter

28C up meron na dito sa atin ah.
35C up to 40C. kaso sa fixie ko nakikita kinakabit. Hehehe.
and prices are like 2k each.

Hmmmm, pwede to ah, tignan ko nga kung kasya ang fatter tires sa frame ko... patay na naman....

Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Bike Commuter

In terms of geometry, the head tube is slacker, but the seat tube is steeper. Some think this is more for control and power delivery for short intense bursts , I think it's more for clearance between tire and down tube--CX bikes are designed to not gather mud as you are riding. This is also the line of thinking in the increasing popularity of disc brakes in CX.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:04 AM
Bike Commuter

I tried to post the pic of the SPecialized tricross bike but failed. This tricross apex has disk brakes. I like the disk brake system on CX as it gives me confidence in braking power on downhills.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Downhiller

Saw this white bike somewhere out there. Giant Escape, billed as commuter hybrid bike. Pero natuwa ako malaki ang clearance for the tires, 700c at cantilever boss. Pwede na din pamsamantagal subukan. Did this rough edit para lang mavisualize ko with drops and color options. Mukhang pwede, sloping lang yung toptube kaya hindi agressive tignan.

Ikaw na naman?!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:07 AM
Bike Commuter

Hindi popular ang sloping geometry sa CX, kasi pag portage (buhat bike), masikip yung frame para buhatin mo sa balikat mo. Same reason kaya kadalasan walang bottle cages ang CX bikes.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Downhiller

Dahil sa sloping toptube this will be a hybrid bike talaga. Will be on the hunt for proper CX frame in the near future.

Ikaw na naman?!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Bike Commuter

Here's a Cyclocross bike too, I normally use it on some smoother rolling hills,

Old 08-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Downhiller

hay kailan ko na tlga mag-train ng matindi para bili ako ni kumander ng cyclocross hehe.
iba kasi dating ng cyclocross bike sa mga mtb group rides tyak unique bike mo bukod sa mas matulin ka pa hehe.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alencore View Post
hay kailan ko na tlga mag-train ng matindi para bili ako ni kumander ng cyclocross hehe.
iba kasi dating ng cyclocross bike sa mga mtb group rides tyak unique bike mo bukod sa mas matulin ka pa hehe.
Yung mas matulin, depende sa terrain. Kung madaming paved roads, mas matulin ang CX, pero pag rough na ang trail, ilalampaso ka ng mga mtbike, lalo na sa downhill.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Downhiller

@dencio...
gaya ng sabi mo na dipende sa terrain...dito kasi sa pampanga perfect ang cyclocross or hybrids kasi 70-80 % of the popular routes here are paved na. pag dating sa off road sections very mild lang nothing really technical unless sa bundok arayat tlga kami magbike kaso sobrang technical na dun karamihan sa mga tracks di na tlga pwede ang bike. unti unti nauubos na mga off-road sections dito eh karamihan ayaw na dumayo kaya mostly road biking/padyak all the way using mtb.
syempre panalo tlga mtb kapag purong of-oad tlga or downhill with lots of technical sections.

Minsan may nakita ako road bike nilagyan nya ng mtb handle bar hehe...
malamang binigyan ng road bke pero mtb bike tlga gusto or nagtitipid.

sa arayat may mga technical single tracks dun perfect sa mga downhill mtbikes haha pag may cyclocross na ko try ko dun.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:53 PM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanusuke View Post
May built Giant TCX sa Lifecycles na dumedemonyo kay mackieboy. 32k ata yung lower model.
chismis lang yan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanusuke View Post
Some of my co SiSSters are into this problem ngayon. Sell our geared MTBs, tutal bihira na nagagamit at kung kailanganin man sa long road ride pa, at bumili/assemble paunti unti ng CX bike. Matagal na tong bumabagabag sa isip namin.
eto hindi ata chismis...

Old 08-14-2012, 09:05 PM
All-Mountain

rye pards.................... parang meron na ata CX si mackieboy .......
.... pa-testing nga pow................. plano ko rin po magbuo...........

Old 09-03-2012, 04:15 PM

hello share ko lang din ito, big influence si mackieboy why I chose this one over mtb. And it was a very good decision.

with the roadbikes

Old 09-04-2012, 02:22 PM
All-Mountain

upgrade na sa ultegra botyok

Old 09-04-2012, 03:19 PM

saka na! pero curious ako sa double tap ng SRAM rival. Parang kakaiba e.

Links