PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Road Bike Section

Road Bike Section For our road cousin!

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store MT Pro Bikes Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports ISOLINK Mtb Suspension System Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano Business Venture 888 - 12 O'Clock Bike Components Parts and Accessories.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:33 AM
Downhiller

Question CycloCross (CX) bikes

i'm curious about cyclocross rigs, saw them on youtube and other sites. i even saw lance rode one and done racing with it. does this bikes available here sa pinas? if it is, where can i find it (bikeshops). someone told me mahirap hanapin yun mga parts but can you guys help me.

Links
Old 08-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Lurker

Default Re: any info on cyclocross bikes

As bike maker websites... cyclocross bikes only differs on their tires compare to roadbikes.... they have spikes...
my 1 cent...

Old 08-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Global Moderator

yep almost the same with the roadbike, except that it can still be pedalled in offroad conditions. but light enough to be carried on those muddy courses.

as long as your frame and fork can accomodate additional knobs on the tires. i'm pretty sure pwede sa CX yan. some would even swap the dropbars for flat or low rise handlebars.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:08 PM

on some frames brakes bosses are diff though, cantilevers are used to accomodate the size and loads of dirt from the tires..also, other uses disc brakes.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Bike Commuter

CX frames are different from road frames. Geometry is different. BB is higher, for higher ground clearance (your CX frame usually is smaller than your road frame), chain stays shorter, seat stays are wider apart, to accommodate bigger tires. There are brake bosses for cantilever brakes, although newer ones have disc brake tabs. it also has more material in the areas where tubes connect, thus heavier than road frames of comparable size.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Downhiller

yup that was what read, do you have an idea if this is available here (manila)? what shop?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 PM

try CycleArt beside king's at quiapo.they have kinesis KC215. alum w/ carbon rear triangle. the color is maroon and black.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:49 AM

i think i saw a red CX bike being sold at sabak makati, 60k ata if im not mistaken.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Bike Fanatic

meron bang nag sa-cylco-cross dito sa Pinas? Looks like an interesting sport, and the Yeti and Santa Cruz bikes look really nice.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Downhiller

wala yata, i think its an autumn and winter sport (based on wikipedia). the rig is very vesatile and practical for me kasi you can go on rides and not limited to road only rides plus get the speed of a road bike because of its geometry. the problem is parts availability dito sa pinas.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Lurker

Surly Cross Check might be the bike you are looking for.
It's a steel road frame. Very flexible. Can take thin or thick tires.
The local distributor is YKK Trading. I have one but got
it in the US . YKK did not have stock at the time I inquired
and was just taking orders for indent.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:39 PM

PArts are not hard to get, you use your road components except for a 46-36 chainring or a 110 bolt pattern crank to get 46-36 gearing. Brakes are just regular cantilever brake. Sa pinas getting a frame might be a challenge unless you have your local frame builder( Abe ) build you one. I've been cyclocrossing since 1996 and it's the most fun I had have on the bike still. You can use on road with regular tires and you can go trail riding with it with knobbies. Right now this is my all around bike , road riding, commute bike cyclocross race bike. Since I am still to receive my warranty road frame it has been my road bike as well.

Races there? Maybe if an organizer wanna run a race for people with or without cross bikes then there would be a race. Lots of beginners races on mt bikes with out barends( as per uci rules ) For there the philippines it would be a good race series for any promoter as it's good spectator sport and it can be held in any park or vacant lot. Spectators can see the whole race which a mtb bike race can't boast.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Downhiller

@redster, patingin naman ng cyclocross mo. post some pics, thanks in advance.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:42 AM

Default Re: info on cyclocross bikes

CX movie:
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url

First CX bike ko from 1996:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My third CX bike present:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by redster; 10-01-2010 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Automerge, please use EDIT button to ADD/EDIT your recent post.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Downhiller

thanks redster for posting, i saw someone used this bike along silang trails and it was impressive. i also saw some races with lance joining this type of race. i enjoyed watching him race. i know some lbs are selling built cyclocross bikes but im still thinking if im pushing thru with cyclocross or an ss karatemonkey.

Links
Old 10-01-2010, 10:21 PM
All-Mountain

Ask ko lang po, Why not use a mountain bike for this type of race? Hinde ba the mountain bike was invented cause road bikes won't last on trails? Road bikes are for road, mountain bikes for off road, so why would you put fat tires on a road bike and race it off road with obstacles when there's already moutain bike?

Old 10-02-2010, 06:29 AM
Downhiller

ang pakakaalam ko it was tradition, sabi sa wikipedia. most of the country who did this races have strong cycling traditions like belgium and netherlands. the bike needs to be light because you carry them thru obstacles and get back on the saddle again continiuosly for many laps. you dont need a mtb coz the race area consist of grass, mud, dirt and uphills. no heavy tracks so no need for strong bikes just strong quick biker. watch youtube where lance joined this type of race so you will appreciate this type of race, i did.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:01 PM

Cyclocross is a different discipline all together. In cyclocross the bigger wheels are faster on the cyclocross coarse . The lightness of the bike and the bigger frame comes into play on the running/portaging section. You can't portage a mountain bike properly because of the small frame. Specially on long running section where you have to climb up a steep angle. On all the cyclocross races I been to I never saw a guy on a mountain bike win yet so there is a distinct advantage on having the right equipment. Mt bikes are allowed at the race locally cause not everyone is ready to invest on a cyclocross bike. Well till they catch the bug and want a cyclocross bike.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Freeride

No need to run/portage the cyclocross bike if you have skills like Brian Lopes

Old 10-05-2010, 10:55 AM

You can still bunny hop in cyclocross, it's legal. Sven Nys the top belgian crosser will bunny hop the barrier if it's faster doing it that way. But bunny hopping barriers really depends on the coarse, some you can bunny hop. Some are laid out so that it's hard or impossible to hop like right after a u turn. Some they put the barriers close together so you can't hop them Plus portaging up a 45 degree incline you need the cross frames clearance to shoulder your bike and run more efficiently. Bottom line is cyclocross coarse are not mt bike coarse.