PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Bicycle Commuting & Advocacy > Bike Safety, Tips & Tricks

Notices

Bike Safety, Tips & Tricks How to stay safe on the road.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 08-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Bike Commuter

Default Knee and elbow pads, overkill on basic trail rides?

I've been contemplating on buying knee and elbow pads for trail riding (e.g. Mt. Maarat) but I rarely see anyone wearing pads on trails. I also saw this related thread
http://www.pinoymtbiker.org/forum/sh...ght=knee+guard
and I thought to myself that knee and elbow pads are overkill for trails. Furthermore, I'm not an extreme or hardcore biker - I usually take the safe side. What do you think?

I'm a big guy and I'm worried that a minor crash would turn bloody with broken bones because of my size. (The bigger they are, the harder they fall, hehe)
Links
Old 08-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: Knee and elbow pads, overkill on basic trail rides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I've been contemplating on buying knee and elbow pads for trail riding (e.g. Mt. Maarat) but I rarely see anyone wearing pads on trails. I also saw this related thread
http://www.pinoymtbiker.org/forum/sh...ght=knee+guard
and I thought to myself that knee and elbow pads are overkill for trails. Furthermore, I'm not an extreme or hardcore biker - I usually take the safe side. What do you think?

I'm a big guy and I'm worried that a minor crash would turn bloody with broken bones because of my size. (The bigger they are, the harder they fall, hehe)
There's nothing wrong with protection sir =). naka knee/shin guard ako pag nasa fort trail kahit ako lang nagiisa ang meron hehe.. mas mataas kc ang confidence ko pag nasa trail pag me extra protection para kahit sumemplang ako eh kahit paano di malalim ang galos. =)

asside dun me fenders pa ako kahit ako lang din meron sa trail haha... mahirap kc maglaba ng tuyong putik =P
Old 08-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Bike Freak

there are only two types of riders . . . those who've crashed and those that are about to

so first of, accept the fact that, one day you will crash. We all have at one point or another, although most are not serious. still, best check your medical plan and get those tetanus shots.

given that, it's really up to you if you want to wear protection. frankly, I would love to wear protection also everytime I ride, but if you ride xc/trail, then it becomes cumbersome kasi. hard to pedal, very hot, etc. If you just ride the basic trail in Maarat then I think you won't need pads, just focus on refining your handling skills. If you like to try out the other routes (like Roxas, and I mean Roxas the one from the top not that Roxas concrete thing) then you can wear pads especially if first time to ride. Most would strap their pads on their bike or backpack going up, then wear it going down.

of course, if you got the moolah, 661 has got some hi-tech pads that are flexible when pedalling, but harden up upon impact.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Bike Commuter

I've crashed seriously many many years ago - and it was almost near fatal except that luck was on my side (and all my biking companions were surgeons). But despite the ounces of blood that I lost due to the head injury I had, I still wanna go biking but I want to be more protected now.

So pads are cumbersome pala - I never really thought they would be because I've never tried them. I'll try to look for the old gartered cloth and foam knee pads that I bought (but never wore) during my adolescent years to see if they are indeed bothersome.

I hope to hear more opinions! Thank you!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:12 AM
All-Mountain

Sir if you ride on the 'safe' side and just worried with bruises and gashes, why not try those long socks and sleeves? Hanap na lang kayo ng medyo makapal. And check out those knee supports in sport shops (Toby's, etc) meron akong nasukat na knee support dati na merong ample padding on the knee. Maybe buy a smaller size and put one on your shin (pwede sa siko din) too
Old 08-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Downhiller

Thumbs up Re: Knee and elbow pads, overkill on basic trail rides?

totoo naman ung comments ng iba, naka-identify dito sa thread ung link regarding Knee Pad/Shin et al...

seen couple of friends wearing such stuff and i know how they handle themselves pretty much... 2 of them are certified DH'er at talaga namang must para sa kanila nakasuot nun...

i've seen some guys also na bitbit lang un only to be wear pag pababa na...

personally, if i had some extra moola, would buy one din to protect my knee and below... dami ko na peklat sa binti related to bike accident...

but before venturing into that, opinion ko lang, i had to learn some more maneuvering technique, drop jump, bunny hop and the like... some peeps tend to avoid those minimal obstacle with the above skills while some encounter probs on that very same obstacle worse, malala pa...

in every accident that i encounter, may natututunan ako, and up until now, am still not wearing a thing or two to protect my knee... couple of bike upgrade, but still no knee and elbow pad, because i firmly believe na with added skills to surpass those obstacle, medyo magiging useless for me kung gagamit pa ko, not unless am riding an uncharted trails, dun lang ako gagamit nyan...

HTH...
Old 08-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Bike Freak

Best of both worlds . . . "Lightweight and flexible d30™ padding for good impact protection while still being able to pedal well." Nga lang USD 100 ata per pair ito

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661...d-76e6c5c4a7bc
Old 08-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Cross-country

Kung ako nga dati nagpunta lang ako sa pet shop para bumili ng isda, nag-face plant ako. Akalain ko bang tatama yung baba ko saka tuhod? ahehe. Walang galos yung helmet ko.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Suspended

I've been using knee, elbow and shin pads for around 2.5 years now. They offer just enough protection for minor crashes on dirt or impacts with trees, branches, or walls. They can still become warm on hot days but they are easy to get used to. The pads I use are flexible with hi-density foam honeycomb. So they are quite comfortable and they don't restrict movement especially when pedaling. The brand is McDavid and was available in R.O.X. but I think they don't have stocks anymore. Here's a link to the McDavid Hexpad webpage: http://www.mcdavidusa.com/store/item...ARTMENT_ID=186

And here's a pic of my knee and elbow pads put into service during "the usual" trail ride:

Meron na din daw version ang Nike. Ewan lang kung saan meron nito: http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=sh...96/pgid-251597

These pads were not designed specifically for biking. That's why the protection is limited and durability may not be that reliable, especially if you usually ride on rocky trails. My pads have been "tortured" in a number of crashes already. They weren't able to prevent my elbow and knee getting wounded when I crashed in a rocky descent, but at least the impact wasn't that bad. One of my shin sleeves has a small tear/rip, one of the elbow sleeves has a hole and both knee pads are a bit scuffed. But the foam honeycomb pads on any of the sleeves have yet to see any damage.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:56 AM
All-Mountain

Even minor scratches can ruin a whole ride for some folks. May kilala akong yung aparador ang naka knee pads. Ayun nung sumemplang sa trail, sinabi: Buti pa yung aparador, naka knee pads...
Old 08-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Bike Commuter

Oh... my original idea of knee pads was like that posted by titaniumgearsolid and suggested by skwid. I found my old knee supports (not to confuse it with the more serious knee pads) which I will try on the trails one of these days. They're definitely safer than not wearing any at all.

The imitation knee guards look difficult to use nga while pedaling because they are rigid and cupped.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:13 PM

Brother, doesn't matter if you're an advanced rider or a newbie, when you push your personal skills to the limit, you run the risk of crashing. A "basic trail" becomes very different when you ride it at speed.

Wearing knee and elbow pads is necessary protection for those special moments when we all hit the dirt. At the same time, it encourages you to push your envelope without having to worry (too much) about picking jagged little pebbles out of a bloodied gaping abrasion (you can probably tell I'm speaking from experience hehe).

I personally use the 661 d30 xc knee pads. Yep, 661 made 'em for cross country fools like me who enjoy a little rough stuff occasionally. They're soft as foam and harden upon impact. So you've got the freedom of movement you need, and the added protection when the situation calls for it.

There's an old wise saying in MTB that says "Dress for the crash, not for the ride." Why do you think we put up with helmets? Ride safe!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:54 PM
All-Mountain

i agree. if using a helmet is not overkill, then knee pads and elbow pads by the same logic should also not be overkill. ako rin nagsusuot ako kahit hindi ako DH'er or agressive AM'er kasi ayoko magka-tocino. tama rin yung sinabi niyo, magiging mas matapang ka ng konti at willing "to push the envelope". sanayan lang, pagtagal hindi mo na napapansin na may suot ka. parang helmet. saka sa grupo namin, nung may nauna, lahat kami nag-suot na. nawala na yung hiya hiya hehehe.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Single-Speeder

it's really upon the individual's decision to wear one or not, if he/she wants to feel safe with that extra sense of security. all of us will fall or crash at one time or another so it would be nice to wear one when bombing down technical terrain but it's just too bothersome to put on and carry around, not to mention hot.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:02 PM

better safe than sorry, invest some good protection on your knees and elbow.
its far better than seeing you on the hospital.
Links
Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Bike Fanatic

If it makes you feel better out on the trail why not, mas maayos yun diskarte mo once mabawasan yun worries mo
Old 08-24-2010, 12:51 AM
All-Mountain

for me, there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to protection. chainstay nga nilalagyan natin cover para di magasgas. If it feels cumbersome, sanayin mo lang sarili mo. of course kailangan medyo piliin mo rin yung klase ng pads mo. baka naman sa sobrang uncomfortable, mas lumaki pa chance na sumemplang ka. I remember a few years back nung unang try ko suot ng full face helmet and goggles, complete with body armor, naka angkas lang ako sa motor while on a long distance off road ride, feeling ko hihimatayin na ako sa init. Yun pala kasi chepo helmet gamit ko, sablay mga vents.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:44 AM
All-Mountain

sir, better safe than sorry, accidents can happen anytime.....
gaya nga ng katagang binigkas ninyo...I'm a big guy and I'm worried that a minor crash would turn bloody with broken bones because of my size. (The bigger they are, the harder they fall, hehe).........
marami naman pong pag pilian na type ng knee and elbow pads...one is yun troy lee at sixsix one po ,,,, magaan sya at matibay naman yun plastic at yun ok din yun straps nya....IMO, mas confident po ang ride nyo sa trails pag -may protection ka, at maganda rin lalo ito sa road because road accidents (specially the unforgivable pavement )so far is fatal than trail.....wag lang downhill.hhehehe....
Old 08-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Freeride

I wear knee pads and elbow pads and helmet even on a 2 km errand to the bakery.
I wear them because I insist my 7 y.o. boy to do the same.

We use flexible knee and elbow support pads used for badminton and tennis elbow.
It's made of thin rubber that grips your muscles enough to remind you to stay alert.

It's hot but I still got my skin... flawless!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:33 AM
Lurker

Nothing beats being safe..I also wear my elbow and knee guards even on basic trails....when you fall even oa basic trail, you'll never know how bad it's going to be..better be ready than sorry...I even use now a full face lightweight xc helmet (MET-PARACHUTE) a couple of my friends were saved by it from scraped side jaw and a broken front jaw...all in medium scale trail in daang hari...
Links