PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions

Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions For newbies who wanted to ask any info on mountainbiking stuff.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines

Old 10-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: Building a Bike - 25k to 28.5k Budget

just a question, depende kasi kung pano babasahin yung "namimili". nakabili na ba or pumipili pa lang?

Links
Old 10-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Cross-country

@divino
thanks! i'll take note of the parts you listed
@reddragon
uhm, planning to ride some trails near marikina, practice road biking and commuting.
@anthrax
pumipili palang ng mga parts na kung tinotal ang cost ay pasok sa budget

Thanks guys : )

Old 10-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Global Moderator

actually mas mura kung built bike, or punta ka sa shop sabihin mo budget then tell them what parts you want tapos tingnan na lang kung saan pwedeng dagdag bawas.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:12 AM
Cross-country

guys kumusta naman itong listahan na ginawa ko?
any tips? corrections?
wala pa akong accurate quotes, puro kuha ko lang sa forums
pa korrect nalang ng price na nilagay ko kung malayo talaga.

Last edited by nikkoguiam; 11-02-2009 at 01:15 AM. Reason: revised some
Old 11-02-2009, 01:50 AM
All-Mountain

If you are already willing to stretch your budget to 30k+, you may want to check out built bikes, that should give you more bang for your buck. If I am not mistaken, Lifecycle still has a brand new 08 Giant Talon with better specs (LX drivetrain, Hydro Brakes, Rockshox Air fork) at under 40k.

If you are around 5'7" or taller, consider also the 09 Fuji Tahoe Comp 29er at under 30k, (SRAM X-5, Avid BB5, Rockshox Dart)

Though if you want to stick with your plan in assembling the bike, buy the DEORE grupo which includes brakes (mech or hydro) and hubs already, which should be cheaper than buying the parts seperately. The good thing also with a grupo, is all the cables are included.

Assembling a bike makes you get exactly what you need, the problem is for most new in biking is not knowing what they exactly want yet, so a built bike will be the easiest route.

Links
Old 11-02-2009, 11:24 AM
All-Mountain

by the way }
cross-country bike, trailbike , freeride, or urban bike, ba ang gusto mu na set-up...
honestly at your budget you could but a built bike with a good parts...
but go for 9-speed ha and don't forget to bargain with / or tumawad should i say.don't be shy to ask question, for you to know more about the bike, on frame- i suggest you look for the khs alite 2000 HT, it comes with seastpost, headset, and seatclamp. bang for the buck talaga ito. durable din sya, mas mura pa sa target mu na frame,two of my friends are using KHS alite frame , they weight around 220lbs. most of our rides are trail-rides, 2x to 3x a week ride,although we ride at around 20km each ride -kung baga eh subok na un frame.

by the way }
cross-country bike, trailbike , freeride, or urban bike,
honestly at your budget you could but a built bike with a good parts...
but go for 9-speed ha and don't forget to bargain with / or tumawad should i say.don't be shy to ask question, for you to know more about the bike, on frame- i suggest you look for the khs alite 2000 HT, it comes with seastpost, headset, and seatclamp. bang for the buck talaga ito. durable din sya, two of my friends are using KHS alite frame , they weight around 220lbs. most of our rides are trail-rides, 2x to 3x a week ride,although we ride at around 20km lang each ride -kung baga eh subok na un frame.

Last edited by traildrift; 11-02-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Automerge, please use EDIT button to ADD/EDIT your recent post.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Cross-country

KHS Alite 2000, im 5'10
Any suggestions for the size?
im familiar with the sizing guide. pero for alite 2000/KHS users what size do you guys suggest?

Old 11-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Bike Commuter

If you're still considering assembling by component here's what I got from research:

Frame - Vision Pursuit P 4,000

Deore groupset (lowest price seen in the "What did you buy..." thread)
Crank - P 2,400
RD - P1,250
FD - P 800
Shifters - P 1,400
Hub - P 1,600
Chain - P 1,050 (CN7701)
Cogs - P 600

Generic spokes w/ nipples - P 450 set of 2 wheels
Rims - XD Lite P 700 x 2
Pedal - Wellgo P 900
Seat post - Kalloy P 250

For a built bike price, there is the GT Avalanche 3.0 for P 16,000, specs same as in their website.

Hope this helps, am also looking to build a bike, but I already have the components not included above.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Cross-country

thanks loverlionus

Old 01-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Lurker

Default Newbie here kinda need help :D

Hi good day fellow PMTB,

i asked couple of friends and some bike shops already anyway, im a total newbie about mountain biking. and im pretty much interested on buying a bike, i only have a budget of around, 30-35k for the bike and around 5k on apparel, helmet and stuffs. im also thinking about an all mountain(?) bike (not sure about the terms) or a full suspension bike (or is it the same?) lol. someone suggested that i should get a size 15 frame for someone like me and im also planning on upgrading stuffs on the bike like the forks(?) and stuff. and what other things that i should consider upgrading?

To make things short, will that budget can get me a good decent full suspension bike that i can upgrade in the future? with only that said specs if the bike? since im just new sa mtb, and also what do you suggests around that budget of a full suspension bike. they said mas cheaper daw ang mag ng build bike from scratch, than the pre built bikes. im not sure.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Bike Fanatic

Default Re: Newbie here kinda need help :D

Good full sus not possible at 35k budget. Best go for a good hardtail or double that budget.

Mas mura built bike vs. buidling from scratch assuming same specs. cheaper only if you can get most of the parts at a discount/2nd hand

No way we can say what size is good for you until you say what's your height.

Everything else, just read the forum. This question has been covered a lot of times.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 PM

Default Help MTB newbie needs a new bike

Finally! Verified account! Thanks mods. Now I would like to ask everyone what to do. Been doing research on mtb-ing and I am torn between 3 options regarding my bike any advise will be great!
Option 1 second hand bike korratec frame
deore group set shimano wheel set complete with odometers, lights, portable air pump and very fresh looking. Plus a ladies bike = 18k

option 2 second hand bike vision frame
slx rear derail, deore front derail, HYdro brakes good other parts(truvativ stem, etc) 15k

option 3 build a bike from scratch budget 20-25k php

problem with option 1 is that I don't know what to do with a ladies bike and I'm thinking it will be hard to sell on the plus side the bike looks great!
Option 2 has hydro brakes good parts but looks laspag. And option 3 might make me lose an opportunity with the two bikes. Help me out please. Thanks!

Old 01-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: Help MTB newbie needs a new bike

Quote:
original post by uberman
Finally! Verified account! Thanks mods. Now I would like to ask everyone what to do. Been doing research on mtb-ing and I am torn between 3 options regarding my bike any advise will be great!
Option 1 second hand bike korratec frame
deore group set shimano wheel set complete with odometers, lights, portable air pump and very fresh looking. Plus a ladies bike = 18k

option 2 second hand bike vision frame
slx rear derail, deore front derail, HYdro brakes good other parts(truvativ stem, etc) 15k

option 3 build a bike from scratch budget 20-25k php

problem with option 1 is that I don't know what to do with a ladies bike and I'm thinking it will be hard to sell on the plus side the bike looks great!
Option 2 has hydro brakes good parts but looks laspag. And option 3 might make me lose an opportunity with the two bikes. Help me out please. Thanks!
Option 4 buy a new bike if you don't like option 1 and option 2. Building a new bike will cost more than that. There are good branded bikes out there thats with in your budget like the following:

1. Trek 4300 more or less 23k+++ the little savings can get you some gears. Try Paulinas if they have stock or Quiapo infront of RAON.
2. Jamis Trail X3 19k+/-. A lot of reputable stores in Makati(Sabak/Grantail) Cartimar (Ross), and Extreme Bike Shop (Panay Quezon City) has some stocks. I saw it myself.
3. Avalanche 3.0 18k+ at Bike Plus in SM North color white. Looks very nice and tempting to buy.
4. Cannondale F8 18k. Try Grantail and Quiapo.
5. Marin Bobcat Trail 21k at JBL in Malabon. bang for the buck i bought min @26k at Sabak Makati. Try to call JBL if they still have stock.

There are lots of bike to choose from and most of them branded. try to check the directory of the LBS, call and visit them. Just a tip, it is more exciting to visit rather than call them. happy hunting

Old 01-19-2010, 07:15 AM
All-Mountain

Default Re: 30k budget bike?

@ ubermab

i agree with ekim75. if i were you id choose to buy a new bike. I would just like to broaden up your choices.
6. Vision one five with hydro brakes, is only about 12600. You still have 12k to spend for a few upgrades if you want (like changing the fork and cranks) and gears like helmet etc.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:38 AM

thanks everyone!

Old 02-09-2010, 01:13 AM
Bike Commuter

Trek 4300 $529.99
Trek 4300 Disc $639.99
Trek 6000 $899.99

may idea kayo sa price nito sa peso? tsaka for example 25k yung price, magkano kaya ang ilalaki nya kung ipaupgrade ko yung handlebar at seat post sa carbon? eh yung saddle kung iupgrade ko sa magandang pang long run? papalitan ko rin tires nya ng BEST anti puncture slick tires na available sa mabibilhan ko, mga 26x2.0 pataas lang ang prefer ko.

worth it rin kayang palitan ko ng carbon yung dalawa parts nabanggit ko?

Old 02-09-2010, 09:12 AM
All-Mountain

@ripantnow, mukhang sa dami kagad ng balak mong palitan eh magbuo ka na lang baka mas makamura ka pa, and lahat pa ng piyesa eh gusto mo. those bikes you mentioned are already good to go, replace the parts pag nasira na lang.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Bike Commuter

i am trying to build a brand new bike worth 30k for the bike alone. i know mahal ang carbon kaya baka sakali lang kung kakasya pa sa budget ay pagaanin ko seat post at handle bar nya at upuan, yun ay kung kakasya pa sa budget.

pero yung tires siguradong papalitan ko yun. it will be use as a commuter bike, exercise bike, stroll bike. city biking lang.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:17 PM

Hi Ripantnow,

I saw a Trek 6000 at ROX selling at 35K.
I am taking my time and still thinking whether to build or buy a built bike.
Good luck to us.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Bike Commuter

@HarViz
i think eto ang bibilhin ko Trek 4300 Disc $639.99, based dyan sa sinabi mong price ng Trek 6000 na 35k.. Gusto ko yung kulay green. Tingnan mo ito http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bike...disc_green.jpg

Nakakasawa na kasi tingnan ang common na black or white. Ayaw mo ganyan na rin sa akin bilhin mo? Papalitan ko lang yan ng pinakabest anti puncture slick tires..

Links