PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions

Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions For newbies who wanted to ask any info on mountainbiking stuff.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store MT Pro Bikes Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports ISOLINK Mtb Suspension System Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano Business Venture 888 - 12 O'Clock Bike Components Parts and Accessories.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Bike Commuter

30k budget bike

Im a proud owner of a decently built 08 heckler and looking at it, I think I can say that it's 95% maxed.

While it's a mean trailbike I realized, that it's not an effective race machine. I guess the Men's Health ATR and Nuvali race validated that fact once and for all.

So let's say you have a virtual 30k to dispose of... how will you build a race ready hardtail? Details puhleeeease

Links
Old 06-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: 30k Hardtail XC Race Bike- posible?

a bit of a tall order ...to come up with a 30k race bike

but here it goes

1st get 2nd hand parts:

Giant XTC frames go for 8.5k + fork hmmm a manitou skareb comp (if your on the light side <165lbs) go for 6.5k + 06 XTs maybe 9k + FSA hbar 190 at 800 + FSA/turbolite stem 500 + seatpost FSA or turbolite 800 + Active seat 300 /or WTB SST seat 500 + wheelset old XT hubs laced to 221 with thorw-in tires 3k + brakes BB7 4k
note if you can find the Giant 6x4 wheelset ..its lighter and about the same price pa.

P33.600.00 + cables (S system) + grips (Velo 400)+ chain (race = XT chains 700)+ misc (spacers etc)

hayyy. I exceeded P30k

I'd increase that budget to at least P35k

ISOLINK Suspension for that Constant Sweet Spot
www.isolinksuspension.com
Old 06-29-2008, 06:50 AM
Cross-country

Default Re: 30k Hardtail XC Race Bike- posible?

I joined the Nuvali Duathlon using a hardtail.....Modesty aside I finished the race among the top 20 (Duathlon).....Considering it was my first trail ride, I didn't do too bad....but it beat the hell out of my ASS.

Nice baptism of fire!!!!

Old 08-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Lurker

Default 30k budget bike?

Good day guys... Im Bhuy from pampanga...
I'm planning to buy my first mountain bike... i have a 30k budget... Saan po maganda bumili ng bike sa manila? mas ok kung tumatanggap ng credit card... thanks guys...

Old 08-13-2008, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Noob from Pampanga

Quote:
Originally Posted by onerom07 View Post
Good day guys... Im Bhuy from pampanga...
I'm planning to buy my first mountain bike... i have a 30k budget... Saan po maganda bumili ng bike sa manila? mas ok kung tumatanggap ng credit card... thanks guys...
Kings Bike Shop bro sa Quiapo tapat lang sya ng Raon..di ko nga lang alam kung tumatanggap sila ng credit card pero maganda rin ang mga offer nila.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:52 AM

Cabalen, try Ross in Leveriza Pasay and Extreme in Panay Ave Q.C. Great bikes, components and accessories. Nice people too.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:52 PM
All-Mountain

kings at quiapo tumatanggap po sila ng credit card and ross too at cartimar...thats were i bought all my grupos for my bike.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Bike Commuter

in my exprience...Kings and Ross have the best prices in the market. At times, one will be cheaper than the other.

your 30k will bring you a long way. But, you have to identify the reason for buying the bike, way you'll ride it, what specs you think you would need.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleman View Post
Kings Bike Shop bro sa Quiapo tapat lang sya ng Raon..di ko nga lang alam kung tumatanggap sila ng credit card pero maganda rin ang mga offer nila.

tumatanggap sa king's ng credit card, visa or mastercard... may 6% surcharge nga lang. so kung 30K x .06, mga 1,800 din yun, sayang pambili na din ng accessories.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:51 PM

Default bikes 30k-40k budget suggestions

mga sir ano po maganda bnew bike at this budget 30-40k. much preferred ko hardtail cya, naka disc brake na, and very good frame. kahit common lang ang ibang components nya i can upgrade later na.

mga shops narin po na pwede magship to mindanao.. thanks

Old 10-23-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdy View Post
mga sir ano po maganda bnew bike at this budget 30-40k. much preferred ko hardtail cya, naka disc brake na, and very good frame. kahit common lang ang ibang components nya i can upgrade later na.

mga narin po na pwede magship to mindanao.. thanks
You can contact Jane of Kings 7340052, pede nya cguro i-ship ung bike sa mindanao.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Cross-country

Default Re: newbie help - 30K budget for a bike...

hi, boss.

imho... that should be a decent MTB. you'll still probably upgrade the cockpit and stuff, pero most parts should be ok na naman for me.

me, of all the 3 MTBs i bought for me, my wife & son, i always went for building from scratch so i can choose all the components. some LBS do allow upgrades on built bikes they sell... add ka lang on the difference bet. the parts' cost.

good thing about built bikes is there are some parts that are really good, but some are just asking for upgrades out of the box. cons naman, it's usually combos of different groupsets, or even different brands... although most work with each other.

or if you want, scout for good buys in the trade sections. you can save a bundle with a little patience and lots of luck.

read a lot, ask a lot and try not to buy yet until you're that sure of what you want (cross, trail, freeride, etc.) and what should fit your physique.

un lang po.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:26 PM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
hi, boss.

imho... that should be a decent MTB. you'll still probably upgrade the cockpit and stuff, pero most parts should be ok na naman for me.

me, of all the 3 MTBs i bought for me, my wife & son, i always went for building from scratch so i can choose all the components. some LBS do allow upgrades on built bikes they sell... add ka lang on the difference bet. the parts' cost.

good thing about built bikes is there are some parts that are really good, but some are just asking for upgrades out of the box. cons naman, it's usually combos of different groupsets, or even different brands... although most work with each other.

or if you want, scout for good buys in the trade sections. you can save a bundle with a little patience and lots of luck.

read a lot, ask a lot and try not to buy yet until you're that sure of what you want (cross, trail, freeride, etc.) and what should fit your physique.

un lang po.
I agreed to sir jackhammer, but if i'm the one has a 30k, I'll buy KHS XC-004 then buy safety gears and equipments for my bike, then EB group ride na!

Old 12-22-2008, 08:28 PM
All-Mountain

todo na ba talga ang 30K mo?

baka mamaya sabihin mo..... guys i already have my bike.. tapos ang total is 50-60K...

daming ganyan post. magtatanong ng price pero madami talaga bala pambili. but yeah, 30K is possible for a decent bike. pero dont expect high end lahat ng parts unless you buy 2nd hand parts.

happy hunting

Old 12-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Cross-country

hahaha!

i remember a motorcycle buddy of mine i brought to king's to build his MTB.

he bought my merida tfs 300 & mavic 223/m475 wheelset the rest from jane. his budget was only P16k. on our way home his bill read over P22k.

imagine, he caught upgraditis right on the first day. hehehe!

Links
Old 12-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Cross-country

yup, khs-004 is probably one of your best choices. i think it's less than 25k, try to ask if you can trade in the stock mech brakes to shimano non-series hydros then use the ramaining money to buy protective gears. this is actually one of my choices when im choosing what bike to buy.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:26 PM

Thanks sirs... well. Of course i can always stretch the budget a little. Say if the difference in parts quality for let say 35 and 40k is huge then i might be able to justify it. RIght now i would just like to have the price point where you can get a decent bike. I dont see myself going hardcore on this but hopefully i can get one na di naman masyado mapahiya

Old 12-23-2008, 07:48 AM
All-Mountain

sa kings ako bumuo ng bike ko, they will be very helpful in building your bike with the said budget, just talk to jane, tell her you have 30k in hand, best bike for you with your riding preference... pero suggestion lang, katulad ko naexcite ako ng sobra nung time na bumili ako, onting research pa... hehe pero hirap din kasi ng ikaw lang kasi kung newbie talgang katulad ko i do have any idea on those components, frames, forks,

READ READ READ

Old 12-23-2008, 08:34 AM

Ako naman more than 30k ito na mga nabili ko pero hanggang ngayon di ko pa rin tapos mabili lahat wala na kasi budget + mas kasamang mura pa sa asawa

Already Purchased
------------------
Frame - DABOMB Tora Bora XC 5,500
Fork - RST Storm (Air) 8,500
HandleBar - Fire Eye FE25.4 900
Stem - DABOMB Minime 450
Stem Lock - Amoeba 350
Spacer - Carbon 25MM 2pcs 200
SetPost - Vision 750
SetPost Clamp - Salsa 1,000
CrankSet - Shimano Deore 3,000
Front derailleur - Shimano Deore 750
Rear derailleur - Shimano Deore 1,200
Shifter - Shimano SLX Rapidfire Plus 2,200
Hubs - Vision 360 (32 hole) 3,300
Rims - MAvic 223 1,100
Spokes - 500
Disc Brake Shimano non-Series - 4,000
Chain - shimano - 500
Cassettes - Shimano deore - 700 (not sure sa 700 nawala ko kasi resibo )
-----------
Total 34,900

Pending
---------
Skewers -
tire -
tubes -
Saddle -

Old 12-23-2008, 08:45 AM
PMTB Mentor

alam mo bro, so much has been discussed dito sa forum with regards to building a bike on an Pxx,xxx.xx budget. i would suggest you use the powerful SEARCH TOOL function ng ating forum to tap the treasure trove of information with regards to building a bike on so much budget.

as friendly advise, since you will be the one funding and using the bike, i would suggest you do an "intelligent" decision by searching and reading the treasure trove of info dito sa forum, rather than deciding on "spoon-fed" information.kasi what will be good for juan may not be good for jose.

but first of all kelangan i-set mo kung ano ba ang gusto mong disiplina sa mtbiking or the purpose of which you would want to build an mtb.

yun lang po and good luck sa rig mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by astetik View Post
I'm a total bike newbie and am looking in investing in a mountain bike for recreational purposes.

What decent set-up can i get for a 30K (more or less) budget? Do i get one of those complete set or build one up.

Your inputs please. Thanks