PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions

Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions For newbies who wanted to ask any info on mountainbiking stuff.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store MT Pro Bikes Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports ISOLINK Mtb Suspension System Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano Business Venture 888 - 12 O'Clock Bike Components Parts and Accessories.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:56 AM

Default Built Bike - hardtail Below 20k

this will be my 1st mountain bike. can you guys help me build one? i have a budget of 20k. can you give me the parts for that i dont have any idea of. and maybe price of it? thanks in advance.

Links
Old 07-04-2008, 07:16 PM
All-Mountain

Default Re: help me build a MTB

vision 3800
altus grupo 3600 vbrakes
xcr fork 2100
sem 200
carbon spacer 160
dh handle bar riser 550
generic seatpos 500
generic tires 600 pair
grips 50
rimset 1800
pedals 200

thats more or less the rest you buy for your gear or for disc brakes or higher groupset baka kasi mura masyado ito

Old 07-05-2008, 05:23 AM

...sir sotsab...you can check with the link below since your budget is pretty much the same...may breakdown din ng bike parts for reference.

http://www.pinoymtbiker.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1713

...goodluck!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:56 PM

is it better to buy built bikes? im choosing between giant yukon, jamis trail 3.0 and GT avalanche 3.0. which is the best of the 3?

Old 07-06-2008, 12:50 AM
All-Mountain

1. Vision Pursuit < I think basic HT Merida or KHS Frames would cost a little more.. Or maybe I'm just pushing it?
2. XCR Fork
3. Cane Creek S3 Headset
4. Alivio Group Set < Hubs, QR, Chain, Crank, Shifter/Lever, FD, RD, Cogset, DiscBrakes!
5. Cables < Shimano SiS & M System
6. Truvativ Hussfelt Handle Bar and Stem
7. Vision Seatpost
8. MOB Pedals < If you have money to spare go for Sealed Bearing Pedals! It would really make a diff!
9. Lock-on Grips < generic
10. Mavic 223 Rims w/ Generic nipples and black spokes
11. Kenda or Maxxis Tires
12. Etc. < Spacers, Cable Ends, Labor, Etc..

The budget would be stretched to the limit! But still within budget!
The problem items would be #4 and #11!
#4. Group sets are cheaper but it is hard to come by these days..
#11. Kenda and Maxxis tires would set you back around P1K for the pair, same as #4 hard to find
(good pairs anyway, most of the tires im looking for is sold out!)..

Old 08-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Bike Commuter

Smile help me set-up my ride!

mga masters im a newbie when it comes to MTB and im looking forward to build my ride hopefully by 2nd or 3rd week of Sept.
so far i dont know yet the type of my riding discipline but
for sure i will mainly use this 80/20 offroad and onroad respectively.
my budget is rough to 15-20k and aiming for the bang of the buck!

so far here are the specs in my list

vision pursuit frame----------------------3.5-4k
suntour xcr w/ remote lock----------------2.3k
shimano deore group set-------------------11k
mavic 223/spokes/tube/maxxis 2.3(2pcs.)---1.5-2k
================================================== ==
total rough to............................18.3-19.3

other parts medyo sacrifice na muna mga less than 2k na lang matitira sa budget pag adjusted to actual prices na.

i am 5'9" tall & 80kg.

mga sir pasuggest naman po kung may mas maganda pang specs na swak sa budget ko. im also planning to change my RD to shimano xt kung pede.
what if huwag na lang ako maggroup set so i can choose more parts makakamura kaya? nga pala i forgot 1k for the helmet!
master pls enlighten me...
million thanks!

Old 08-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: help me set-up my ride!

i'm a newbie too, yes you have a decent list, just clarify the groupset, as to what brakes are included.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Bike Commuter

yun nga sir eh what if indi na ako mag group set so i can choose more parts? this is my plan..

ill go with shimano groupset but ill chance my RD to XT and my brake to avid bb7. ok kaya yun?

Old 08-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Lurker

bro, having your purchased parts, it seems that you're set to build a bike more on the XC side... having a Deore group set for a start is good.. ok yan for beginners medyo mabigat lang.. if you're planning to upgrade to XT, be ready to spend more bucks around 3k+... but since your budget is around 20k, you can also try the Amoeba package which includes the handlebar, stem, stem lock and grips combo.. it's around 1.5k i think.. i used the same when i was on the entry level pa.. try out this setup first then gradually upgrade to high end when you need them replaced or get tired of using them..

Old 08-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Bike Commuter

oic it seems that im going to stick with the deore group set for the mean time. sir where can i find the amoeba package? medyo indi po kasi ako familliar dun? thanks for the response

Old 08-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Lurker

sirs, pasingit din. anong type ng mtb yung pwedeng i-fold and may sariling bag. May mga nakasabay kasi ako sa naia na may dalang big bags na mtb ang laman.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Lurker

bro you can check out quiapo bike shops or cartimar pasay.. i suggest you buy from these places coz this is where you can ask for big discounts on parts.. by the way, avid bb7 for me is the best mechanical disc brake on the market.. just don't be too hard on the levers because it locks up once you press it hard.. also, get the avid levers na rin para match.. i think it's around 700-1k a pair.. either SD5 or SD7 is ok.. lastly, don't forget to spend more on riding gear - mas importante yun sa pyesa..

Old 08-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Freeride

When I bought my first bike, I was completely clueless. I remember walking into Powerbikes, thinking I couldn't afford anything there, but I might learn some things. This was back when Edmund Mangaser (now of All Terra) was still manager there. Edmund sat me down and spent 2 hours explaining the entire process, all of the components, the tradeoffs involved, ideas on where I should spend and where I should save, etc. Then he made up a component list, gave me prices, and told me to canvass in Quiapo and Cartimar and see if I could get a better deal.

I did, and saw pretty much the same prices and nowhere nearly the same level of service. I went back and bought the bike from Edmund, and never regretted it. To this day I feel like I bought not from the shop, but from the person.

Edmund's not in the shop all the time at All Terra, but if I was making suggestions to a newbie I would strongly recommend him as one of the best people to deal with. Another possibility if you're around QC is to go down to the biker's Tambayan at UP, on a Sunday, and have a talk with Ben (Raven here), who sells bikes and bike gear, knows his stuff, and will take time to work with you.

We can talk forever about entry level frames, forks, components, and there are all kinds of combinations that will work fine. My recommendation, though, is to check out shops and sellers (some sellers don't have shops, like Raven, Dragunov, Armen) until you find someone that you trust, someone you're comfortable with, who takes the time to work you through the process and who has a good reputation for post-sale service and support. Then buy from that person. Good sellers see you not as a customer who makes a single purchase, but as a client, where you build a running business relationship that benefits both buyer and seller. At the end of the day that's worth more than the lowest price in town.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Bike Commuter

wow thank you for the very important pieces of advices you shared mga masters. right now im still on the process of reaserching and canvassing for the possible piece while waiting for my budget. sana nga mabuo na! quite excited...

Old 08-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzfer View Post
sir san shop mo po nkita yan?? ang alam ko kc 3.7k+ yan eh

Links
Old 08-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boytoy View Post
sir san shop mo po nkita yan?? ang alam ko kc 3.7k+ yan eh

OT- got mine for 2700 with lock out, not remote at kings.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Bike Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzfer View Post
sa quiapo po. i just can remember the shop pero yan yung sinabi nung saleslady na nag assist sa akin nun.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:02 PM

There you are...you landed at the right forum. Good luck to your hunt everyone here can help you in building your 1st mtb. Read the threads as well to acquire more knowledge about mtb

ride safe!

Old 08-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Bike Commuter

sir kintaro hehe.... your right dami ko din natututunan dito. almost complete with the specs i need just waiting for the budget to come! hehe... thanks again for directing me here!

Old 08-31-2008, 09:42 PM
Bike Commuter

mga sirs i end up with this specs as of now for 25k. kindly take a look kung pede na po ito! thanks..

Frame - vision pursuit
Fork - suntour XCR w/ RLO
Crankset - Shimano Deore(FC-M533-SK)
FD-shimano deore (FD-M530-6)
cogset-shimano xt (CS-M770)
RD-shimano xt ( RD-M772-GS)
Chain - HG93 (shimano XT)
Shifter - Shimano Deore
Brake set- Avid bb7
Brake Lever - Avid Speed Dial 7
Hubs- Shimano deore
Rims - mavic 223