PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions

Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions For newbies who wanted to ask any info on mountainbiking stuff.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store MT Pro Bikes Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports ISOLINK Mtb Suspension System Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano Business Venture 888 - 12 O'Clock Bike Components Parts and Accessories.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Cross-country

Default What are the most brand of Helmet in the Philippines

I admit it. I got a lot of bikes. And I get to ride it each and every time.
Well for now, lets not talk about bikes. Rather; the safety of our head first.
Well folks you know what that is. Helmets.
Here is my question:

1. What are the most brand of helmets we buy and use here in our country? (only in the Philippines)

2. How much do you want to spend to protect your head from injury?

3. What is the most important thing you want to consider in buying a helmet? Safety, comfort, or style?

4. How many helmets can you buy to protect your head from injury?

5. Are you a helmet collector? Well if you do, how many helmets can you fit in your closet?

There is a rule that saids:

The helmet should be broke upon impact. If your helmet didn't break, your head is broken.
So think wise before buying a helmet.

So here is something for you to contemplate about for days.
And thanks again for all your suggestions

Old 04-05-2010, 08:24 AM
PMTB Idol

Default Re: What are the most brand of Helmet in the Philippines

Sagutin kita charlie_b_barkin. But before I give my dos sentimos, allow me to greet you a Happy Easter. Miss na kita eh.

1. Giro and Bell and Fox in that order. At least for me. Ayan ang gamit ko.

2. More than I am willing to spend for my bike. Ganyan kahalaga ang helmet sa akin. As good helmet saved my life three times na.

3. All three factors of safety, comfort, and style. Kanya nga siguro helmets I bought are up on 5k range.

4. Two helmets only. When one helmet is drying up after nilabahan, other dry helmet naman ang gamit ko. So as with MTBiking shoes. Dalawa for same reason.

5. No. I ain't helmet collector. But I collect in my closet though three helmets na winasak ko after I endoed wearing them. Just a grim reminder how thankful I am for the trio to saving my coconut.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:00 AM

1. The most popular helmets here (whole Philippines?) I suppose are MOB and replica helmets that cost below P1k. They protect the head just as well I think but the fit and finish, as well as comfort (especially ventilation) are a step below the industry standards set by Giro/Bell.

The biggest helmet manufacturers in the world are probably Bell and Giro (which is also owned by Bell). Other prominent brands are Trek, Lazer, LG, Rudy Project, MET, Catlike, etc.

2. I am willing to spend up to 10k for a helmet. The most I've spent so far is for my Giro Xen - at P5200.

3. Safety first of course, followed by comfort, and then style. Although lately ... I bought my last 2 helmets because of style and exclusivity (para wala masyado kapareho), but I did make sure that they fit comfortably (always try helmet on your head first before buying) and they comply with US CPSC Safety Standards.

4. I have 2 right now. A MTB helmet (Giro Xen), and a DJ helmet (O'Neal Skid Lid). I use the O'Neal more ... it is a bit heavy and has less ventilation but it actually insulates the head better when riding under the sun especially around noon time.

5. Not really. But I do like to add a roadie helmet (magaan kasi) ... and a Full face helmet (pang posing ...)

Old 04-05-2010, 09:12 AM

happy easter doc charlie!

1. all my helmets are of the michellin (zefal) brand.
though the brand of helmet mostly used in the country are of the mob, serfas, lazer, trek, giro and bell brands. fox and spyder are also gaining popularity.

2. it's difficult to put a price tag on safety.

3. safety, comofrt and style!

4. i have three right now: michellin mx pro race for xc/ urban, michellin free mx for trail riding, and michellin tribal as reserve

5. i don't think so, though a bell sweep is already in the pipeline

currahee!

Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Bike Commuter

Hey charlieboy! met up with alain and carl last sun.. wala ka!

anyway, Honestly I try go for style, as long as i can afford it. Dunno, but most helmets feel comfortable to me naman as long as they are in the right size.

Not really a brand concsious type but of course there are certain brands that i find exciting like rudy project and giro. Got me an RP actyum which was on sale (the only reason why i was able to afford one). Am currently aiming to get a Spyder Traxx helmet, because it really looks great and not that expensive.

BTW, how long does your helemets last? My old serfas helmet lasted for 2 years only, now the foam lining went pffffffftt..

Old 04-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Global Moderator

1. What are the most brand of helmets we buy and use here in our country? (only in the Philippines)
I suppose M.O.B. kasi pinakamura pero meron quality. Personally, I've the following brands:
- (can't remember... basta it was blue)
- Serfas
- Limar

As much as budget permits

3. What is the most important thing you want to consider in buying a helmet? Safety, comfort, or style?
All of the above should be considered, but most of all, it should a) pass safety standards AND b) fit nicely.... yung style, least consideration

... paki-ulit nga.... If you mean, "how many do I have right now, in active duty", then the answer is 1.

5. Are you a helmet collector? Well if you do, how many helmets can you fit in your closet?
No...and I don't understand why I should... (mahal kaya mangolekta)

Comfort destroys usefulness. Luxury makes monsters. Adversity creates heroes. - Pastor Noel Tan
Old 04-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Single-Speeder

1. mob, serfas, spyders, giro, bell and fox flood the market these days. i guess mob would top sales as they are cheap.

2. i'd spend up to about 4k for the helmet i want. normally, i'd choose bell but might try the giro hex next or perhaps the fox flux.

3. since most pass specific standards nowadays, i would tend to go for comfort and style.

4. i have 2 but have only used 1 for the past 6 years.

5. no, but i've kept my first one all these years - an 18$ bell at costco.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Suspended

I currently have two helmets. But of course, I can only use one at a time. (Except when I need to lend my helmet to my nephew or younger sister when we ride together, since neither of them have their own helmet).

My older helmet is a Giro Xen. By far, it's the most comfortable helmet for my head. And I can use it with a light mount attached in between two vents on the top portion of the helmet. So if I want to ride at night, the Xen will definitely be called for service.

My relatively newer helmet is a Fox Flux. Now this lid is by far the most aesthetically and visually appealing for my taste. Contrary to common belief, it is not heavy, it is not hot. However, I'm not too satisfied with the fit because if compared to the Xen, the Flux falls short.

My first ever helmet was from MOB. It was bulky, the visor was a bit long and the fit was a bit awkward, but it served me well for a long time. Hanggang ngayon buhay pa.

So am I a helmet collector? Maybe not. But I'd like to have a full-face helmet and/or a motorcyle-specific helmet as well.

I spent around 1k for the MOB, 3k for the Giro Xen, and 4k for the Fox Flux. I was even willing to spend 8k-10k for a helmet similar to the Giro Switchblade or Met Parachute if there was one that could indeed offer a level of protection at par with a full-face helmet.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Cross-country

Buti nalng may thread na ganito.. tanong ko lang mga Sir.. Yung Rudy Project po ba na ZUMA ok sya? ano katapat nya na style sa Giro? yung Giro po na helmet san makakakita nito? salamat..

Old 09-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Downhiller

I am using 2 Fox flux helmets but not at the same time. I don't like them both. Bulky kasi parang ang laki sabagay malaki naman ulo ko. Wanna try giro or bell pag may magreregalo.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Freeride

Alternately Using ;

1) Fox Flux
2) Bell Volt

Aesthetics, Stylish but no compromise in Safety

Old 09-23-2010, 09:13 AM
All-Mountain

Fox Flux user here, and it has been gaining popularity eversince it came out and currently my all out favorite. Got the Spez Vice, but I use it for unscheduled trips to town ( had a nasty dent due to a cased jump when I was starting with jumps) Sayang. For DH and FR posing sessions...Deviant and Remedy.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Cross-country

Quote:
I admit it. I got a lot of bikes. And I get to ride it each and every time.
Well for now, lets not talk about bikes. Rather; the safety of our head first.
Well folks you know what that is. Helmets.
Here is my question:

some of the more common brands i see are fox, met, giro, mob, trek, bell, spyder, rudy project

im willing to spend around 10k for a bike helmet

safety 1st, then style, then comfort

i have 2, a trek sonic and met parachute. but im thinking of selling the trek coz its one size bigger.

There is a rule that saids:

The helmet should be broke upon impact. If your helmet didn't break, your head is broken.
So think wise before buying a helmet.

So here is something for you to contemplate about for days.
And thanks again for all your suggestions
my answers are in red

Old 09-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Bike Commuter

Probably MOB or those generics brands.

2k-3k, perhaps 4k if I love the design.

With respect to safety standards, I think most of the popular brands (MOB, Bell, Giro, Lazer, Michelin, Trek, Fox, etc.) passes the safety standards, so I've no real concern in that category, baga, given na yan. I consider fit and comfort as part of safety, if your not comfortable, it might be distract your concentration. Style is also partly a safety issue for me, not so much with the design but rather the color for visibility issues.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:42 AM

1 Personally Spyder ang madami kong nakikita.

2 Siguro mga around 2-2.5k.

3 As of now price. Alang budget eh.

4 1 Isa lang ulo ko eh.

5 No. But siguro if my budget permits, Oo.

Ask ko lang mga sir. So my cheap MOB helmet will not protect my head properly?
Tnx. Mahal kasi ng Spyder, Fox and Giro helmets eh. Kya MOB muna binili ko. Will it serve me well or not. Tnx again mga sirs.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Cross-country

is met parachute ideal for daily xc/trail use, without being preoccupied by "angas purpose"?

i'm just curious, your thoughts please.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Global Moderator

@arksclasara

although OT, why would you care about other people's thoughts about your helmet? it's your head not theirs.

i'm saying this because i've worn Giro Switchblade and now wearing Specialized Deviant on my bike commute and trail rides. frankly speaking....it's a good conversation piece at stopovers.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:23 AM
All-Mountain

Limar for me...affordable and very comfortable

Old 08-19-2012, 05:50 PM

Would anyone know which Bike shop sells MET Helmets. I want that MET Parachute one.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Bike Commuter

@Titan

bought mine at paulinas.

Links