PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > Wheels and Tires

Notices

Wheels and Tires Discuss tech help/info for: Tires, Tubes, tubeless, Rims
Spokes, Nipples, Hubs, Skewers and Wheelset.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 08-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Cross-country

Default Chris King Hubs

Have checked all the threads and there is no discussion regarding Chris King Hubs.

My questions is where is Chris King compared to the other hubs such as shimano xtr, mavic st,etc

MARTIN
Links
Old 08-07-2008, 03:07 AM

Default Re: Chris King Hubs

Precision engineering... manufactured by Hadley Hubs... :) I'd say these hubs go to a certain category of manufacturers... like Tune and Hadley. Quality and price go hand in hand, so these babies command top dollar. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for, actuation or pawl bite has next to no lag, hence the high pitched "whine" you hear from the cog carrier, bearings on these things, when taken care off, will almost last a lifetime. If you got the bucks, why not?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:02 AM

CK is one of the best, if not THE best. They are light, bling, tough, serviceable, reliable, rebuildable and fast engaging.

Hadley and I9 hubs are probably the only hubs in CK level, unfortunately they are priced like CK too. Tune King/Kong is right up there in terms of weight and bling, but I am not sure about toughness and longetivity.

Shimano XTR and Mavic hubs are NOT in the same level.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:16 AM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperion View Post
CK is one of the best, if not THE best. They are light, bling, tough, serviceable, reliable, rebuildable and fast engaging.

Hadley and I9 hubs are probably the only hubs in CK level, unfortunately they are priced like CK too. Tune King/Kong is right up there in terms of weight and bling, but I am not sure about toughness and longetivity.

Shimano XTR and Mavic hubs are NOT in the same level.
How is the CK hubs compared to Hope? :thinking:
These two captured my attention more on BLING effect than in any other department. :funnyface:
Old 08-07-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenalin View Post
How is the CK hubs compared to Hope? :thinking:
These two captured my attention more on BLING effect than in any other department. :funnyface:
Hope is also light, tough and serviceable but they are not as bling and not as fast engaging as CK. (Which is why they are about P10k petot cheaper.) Hope Pro II is still a very good buy at that price though especially if going light + tough is the goal.

If Bling is your goal - CK or I9 ... pick your poison hehehe. :D
Old 08-07-2008, 09:34 AM
All-Mountain

... there was a thread in the old pmtb board about these hubs, ... at 72 engagement points, what can go wrong? (standard is only 24 points:whistling:) thats 3x more. to note what skarhed said, no lag (its like having turbo with als) its response when you need it most. i still drool with envy when i see bikes sporting these hubs, upto now i am still dreaming of using a pair:sigh::), its attitude with lots of bling factor!:thumbsup:
... can't wait to have my hand on a pair.... in black please:). comparing to hope, its less scandalous, when on freewheel mode.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Single-Speeder

CK is a engineering masterpiece... it is made to last longer. The bearing, which is usually need to replace after a point of time. CK bearing is serviceable, you can remove the sealed and clean the ball bearing. So this will make the parts last longer compare to other hubs. hope, mavic, etc... need to replace the whole sealed bearing...

sabi ko nun, mahal ang CK, but after using it for long years without any mechanical problem. It comes out, mura pa rin...
Old 08-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Cross-country

After hearing all your reviews, ill make the Chirs King Hubs as my dream hubs:idea:

MARTIN
Old 08-07-2008, 08:00 PM

my dream hubs also... :thumbsup: a masterpiece of engineering indeed... :)
Old 08-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Bike Commuter

im also dreaming to have a pair of these babies, especially the red one.....any idea how much a pair cost....!!!:thinking:
Old 08-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickym View Post
im also dreaming to have a pair of these babies, especially the red one.....any idea how much a pair cost....!!!:thinking:
ricky, it will set you back at least php25K.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:50 AM
Cross-country

Hhhuuuuwwwaaaatttt!!!!!! hangang dream na lang ata talaga:crying1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
ricky, it will set you back at least php25K.

MARTIN
Old 08-08-2008, 08:01 AM
All-Mountain

CKs are the best indeed in terms of bearing and seal quality, reliability and bling!
Hope Pro2s are cheaper, just as blingy but are not as quick engaging as king. The hopes are more versatile, however, since they can easily be changed from QR, 20 mm and now 15 mm through axles using adaptors, which cost around $25-40, much cheaper than getting a new front or rear hub if you decide to change axle type.
The I9's have great engagement and bling, but I cant say the same about the bearings. (Ahem...) I'll leave that for actual I9 owners to post on another thread.

If you have the dough, and are set on your type of axle, the Kings are the choice.
Otherwise, the Hopes are my best bet.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renemartingo View Post
Hhhuuuuwwwaaaatttt!!!!!! hangang dream na lang ata talaga:crying1:
last year speedy bagal bike shop sold a pair of CK hubs for 20k... color black :thumbsup: sayang kse giant glory pa frame ko noon...
Old 08-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Bike Commuter

I'm also a Chris King ISO user & I'm really satisfied & happy with this component. This is my 2nd Set. Had to chance to try Industry 9 which is also a good product but went back again to KING'S.

Take the point of BongJumper if considering to get this Hub. It will really comes out cheaper in the long run. I know a lot of bikers who changed their frames, group sets, forks but still use their old Chris King Hubs.

:)
Links
Old 08-08-2008, 11:33 AM

i wanna try this one, im using shimano hubs right now
Old 08-09-2008, 02:11 AM
Cross-country

I will surely consider CK when i assemble my next bike :thumbsup:

MARTIN
Old 08-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Bike Commuter

hmmmmm....comments above really makes my minds on second thought...:thinking:

why?...because recently i got a Bnew pair of XTR wheelset M975 for my new project planning to built it when im going back to phil..and it cost a lot...

do you think its performance will be far behind than CK?....
i haven't tried this XTR M975 wheelset same as CK....

any inputs for the guys already used these two are highly appreciated!:thumbsup:
Old 08-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Cross-country

If we will use Chris kings as the hubs, what Rims should we buy to match CK's performance and bling factor?

MARTIN
Old 08-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Freeride

Nice hubs, chris king. It's all true. However, there goes the price. Got a pair of xt m756 hubs on my heckler. While coasting with a friend going down inside ayala alabang (it was raining earlier; we decided to ditch the trail), I noticed my bike coasting faster than his. :eek: He has a nomad, chris king all the way. Must be a fluke. But going down it again the same thing happened. "Must be the spit" I said :str: Both bikes nearly weigh the same.
So what's the moral of the story: Good parts don't necessarily mean big bucks. Sometimes, you can find gold in them hills. Although I would like chris king hubs, I just can't justify the cost (have a baby, single income family). Stick to forums and experience. Me? I might replace them with ceramic bearings...:gun:
Links