PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > Wheels and Tires

Notices

Wheels and Tires Discuss tech help/info for: Tires, Tubes, tubeless, Rims
Spokes, Nipples, Hubs, Skewers and Wheelset.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 02-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Bike Commuter

Crying about flat tires!

did it ever happened to you that your tire was all out flat even if it was not punctured?

this is my dilemma right now, i have used my bike just yesterday with a 20km road, then i have checked it just this morning and it is still good but now it is all out flat. help pls
Links
Old 02-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Bike Fanatic

Default Re: flat tires!!!

Baka defective ang valve mo. Is it presta or shrader? Kung okay ang valve mo then there has to be a leak somewhere - kung walang thorn then probably a pinch flat. Have you tried submerging your partially inflated tube to pinpoint the location of the leak? When in doubt palitan mo na ang tube.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:18 PM

baka ang prob ay yung part nung tube na pinakamalapit sa valve niya,yung yipong nasa bilog na part na ng tube na nakapalibot sa mismong valve. tipong hindi kita kapag hindi nastretch yung tube.
minsan nafaflat ako pero minsan ayos lang yung tube. pero pinalitan ko na din kasi delikado din :)
hope it helps
Old 02-15-2010, 12:11 AM
All-Mountain

I had 3 flats in the last 4 months, the 1st one the tip of the presta valve of my Kenda tube flew away, 2nd the area surounding the valve tore apart, the 3rd which is not my fault but on the 2nd flat I was near an LBS so I had them replace the tube with my spare brand new tube, and the mechanic managed to puncture it during install. RIght now only the 3rd one is re-useable by using patches.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Single-Speeder

kung walang butas, walang singaw ang pito at na-flat...me moomoo:str:

seryusli speaking, baka po merong naglaro sa pito nyo nakatuwaan na pasingawin...nangyari na po sa akin yan, dami kasi mga loko dito sa amin. :laugh1:
Old 02-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Downhiller

naku sir check mo ung inner ng tire.. ung sken nfflat after mga 5hrs.. kakapalit ko pa naman ng tube na continental.. nagtataka ako kung bkit nafflat eh mgnda ung brand.. after ko kalasin ung tube at me nkitang super tiny bubbles when submerged in water.. chinek ko ung inner tire at meron plang needle, hindi xa visible sa outer tire.. HTH
Old 02-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Downhiller

posible din ang slow leak

may butas pero hindi mo mapapansin agad. after a few hours bago mo matanggal hangin

slow leak man yan o defective valve, eto ang paraan para malaman mo:

tanggalin ang interior sa gulong
bombahan (kung kinakailangan)
kumuha ka ng batya ng tubig
ilubog ang bahagi ng interior sa tubig. isa isahin ang mga bahagi ng interior hanggang makahanap ka ng bubbles

yung bubbles na iyon ang slow leak
Old 02-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: about flat tires!

what is the suggested remedy for this type of problem? thanks

it is just really disappointing since this is very new
Old 02-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Bike Fanatic

If it's a non-specific leak then palit ka na lang ng tube - factory defect yan. If it's pinpoint enough then just patch it and try inflating it again. I experienced it once - brand new tube but it just wouldn't hold air. I threw it away. I had another one- exact same brand - still using it after 6 months - after innumerable tire changes - no flats yet, no leaks. Malas lang minsan. Suwerte din minsan.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Bike Commuter

Crying Re: about flat tires!

hi, i think it is the rim that is causing the problem

i installed new inner tube and now waiting to see if it would not be punctured

thanks for all the help guys
Old 02-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Global Moderator

could be anything, unless you check it by submerging it in water. yung tube kong isa ganyan. rubber is not 100% airtight, so you could be leaking air in the tube itself (which happened to me) kahit na walang visible bubbles/holes.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:56 PM
All-Mountain

@ xxCero

Ano po ba ang brand at size ng inner tube na gamit ninyo, if you don't mind my asking? Baka kasi po maliit ang tube compared to the size of the tire. Minsan kasi mas maliit ang size na nialagay na tube vis-a-vis the size of the tire to save on weight. For example: 26 x 2.1 ang tire mo pero ang tube eh 26 x 1.95 lang. Ang result kasi eh super stretched ang goma ng tube so baka either mapunit or prone ka to pinch flats.

Also, baka yung pito ang may problem. Baka di maganda ang pagka pump mo ng air when you inflated the tube at na displace ang pin ng valve. You can try releasing some air after you fill the tube para dumeretcho ang pin.

HTH
Old 02-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Bike Commuter

ganyan yung tube ko dati. tiningnan sa vulcanizing walang makitang butas. kinabit ko at binombahan, nung hapon malambot na ulit. wala na, bumili na ako bago
Old 02-16-2010, 07:02 AM
Bike Commuter

i have found out that the rim is puncturing the inner tube. just punctured another one. i'll try to fix it tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Bike Freak

the rim? or do you mean the spokes pushing through the rim to puncture the tube? good rim tape should solve that.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:00 PM

in addition, you should carefully check your tire for small sharp objects. I kept getting a slow leak even after changing my tube. I took my tire off the rim and turned it inside out. After careful inspection I found a small wire (it could have been a piece of a staple) that was imbedded in the tire.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:57 AM
Bike Commuter

hi sir! minsan din, like mentioned before, the cause of the air loss is the small slit in the tube right beside the valve... dalawng beses na kasi nangyari sakin to this week with my front and rear wheel. The slit is caused by 2 things:

1. running-flat; if your tires are severely deflated and you still ride on it, it causes the valve to move around and stretch the rubber where it is attached kaya nagkaka-punit.

2. if the valve is not properly installed. the valve should always be at a right-angle with the rim. always check kasi through time tumatabingi na siya... that also cause the tear in the valve attachment.

moral of the story is, always check your tires before riding. hehehe learned it the hard way kasi eh.

ride safe sir!
Old 03-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Bike Fanatic

It happened on my cheap bike twice.

The day before ginamit ko sya. When I parked it, matigas pa ang gulong. Kinaumagahan flat na ang front wheel. A week after, yung likod naman.

Nangyari ito wala pang one month ng mabili ko ang bike.

When I checked, may butas pala. Hindi naman napako. So, I replaced the tubes.

Since then (or about 9 months after), hindi na naulit. My opinion, napakahinang klase yung stock tubes.

And, I'm not wondering. P2,600 lang yung whole bike eh. He he he . . .
Old 03-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Global Moderator

this happened to me. the cause was: i forgot to screw the Presta valve shut before screwing back the cap. (shouldn't they invent caps that won't screw shut if the valve nut is still on top? i mean, for smart people who suffer momentary memory lapses hehehe)

overnight, the tire completely deflated. when i woke up the next morning and found the flat, i thought i had a puncture. but i didn't have my levers, so crossing my fingers i thought i'd just pump the tubes muna and hopefully they'd hold until i could bike to the nearest shop to have my tubes patched or replaced. pag-unscrew ko ng cap to pump, that's when i saw the unlocked valve. i just pumped the tube, locked the valve, and rode out. no flat. the unlocked Presta valve was the culprit.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:50 AM

@whoops - that's actually a good idea for those of us with too many things on our minds. I went and checked what would happen if I didn't secure the locknut on the valve. I found out there is a reason presta caps are pointed, not squared, on the end... as you screw the cap back on, the tapered top starts to push the valve in letting and air out, thus giving you a signal that the valve is not secure.

Why didn't this work for you? I did some research and found that most presta locknuts require 5-6 turns before reaching the full open position. I always open the valves fully to pump the tube, I don't know why it's just habit I guess. You're much more efficient than I am and partially open the valve with just 2-3 turns of the locknut which saves a few seconds of time. Apparently, I'm not smart enough to know that a partially open valve works just as well as a fully open valve, but it makes sense since air particles are very small. Because you don't fully open the locknut, the specially designed tapered cap doesn't let you know the valve is not closed. You outsmarted the presta engineers. The cap could be engineered to have a bit more material on the inner sides of the cap and still have room for the very tip of the valve.

You taught me something new today.
Links