PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > Wheels and Tires

Notices

Wheels and Tires Discuss tech help/info for: Tires, Tubes, tubeless, Rims
Spokes, Nipples, Hubs, Skewers and Wheelset.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 02-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Bike Commuter

Default Chris King Hubs versus Hope Pro 2

I currently have the Hope Pro 2 hubs with Mavic 717 rims and DT Swiss Revolution spokes. My friends are telling me to upgrade to Chris King's. Is there really a difference? Is it worth the upgrade? I cycle 3-4 times a week primarily on the road and double tracks. Not very technical but I do a lot of hill work.

Thanks.
Links
Old 02-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: Chris King Hubs versus Hope Pro 2

sir you have a good set of hubs, why change if satisfied ka na..
Old 02-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Bike Commuter

Thanks Lostboy. They tell me that the lag is virtually non-existent with CK hubs versus Hope. They also tell me that the CK hubs roll faster and smoother. Rather than read reviews, I would rather get first hand comments from people who have used them.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:51 AM
All-Mountain

In my point of view, I think you can ask a friend with CK's in their rides and test them yourself to really feel firsthand if there really is a difference with regards to performance.

I personally haven't tried Hopes and CK's so I have no idea about how they perform, but generally both are good hubs. I can only dream of having them in my rig :)

HTH!!!
Old 02-07-2010, 01:45 AM
Lurker

Hope Pro 2 is bang for the buck! The price difference between CK and Hope thus not equate to the difference in performance. Yes, the engagement is better in CK, but not much compared with Hope, and besides I like the sound more of Hope :D
Old 02-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Cross-country

subscribing... also eager to know first hand testimonials before i buy
Old 02-07-2010, 10:55 AM
All-Mountain

Hope Pro 2 user here. I'm a previous user of Shimano non-series hubs and Sun Ringle Disc Jockey Hubs and here are my impressions:

1. Pro 2's roll better that anything that I have ever tried so far (haven't rode a bike with CK's yet).
2. I can't compare hub engagement with CK's, but its very solid when compared with my other previous hubs.
3. Versatility: the front hub of Pro 2's can be converted to QR, 15QR, 20mm thru axle with adapters that are locally available (Paulina's, BTC, etc.). The rear hubs can also be converted to 10mm or 12mm thru axle. CK's need a complete front axle assembly in order to interchange them between QR, 15QR, 20mm thru axle (and according to the local supplier, the axle assembly can take some time to order).
4. Maintenance: Hope Pro 2's can easily be serviced with common tools. CK's need some special tools to service them completely. Another plus that I have found out is that the bearing of Pro 2's can easily be bought from local bearing suppliers.
5. Noise: Pro 2's can be very loud when riding in the trails (clack-clack-clack). I have ridden with some friends with CK's and they run with an audible "CK angry bee buzz".

HTH
Old 02-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Bike Commuter

Thanks everyone. Looks like we still need to hear from a CK hub user. I agree that the Hope pro 2 sound is very unique. It does make a difference if you are passing pedestrians or even fellow bikers as it is loud. I love them though. I'm still intrigued about CK as I've never tried them and yet so many people swear by them.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:07 PM
All-Mountain

... ck user here, as for engagement, it's true no lag. when i got it new, i tried stopping a qtr before the top of cardiac just to convince myself why i bought these hubs, i got what i was looking for. same holds true with mud, having no lag means you can easily get out from a dead start (with all the mud and everything) as for pedaling on flats, definitely butter smooth. as for the sound it's a little quiet compared to hopes. one thing i notice though, when you free wheel, xt's roll faster than ck maybe because of the 72 engagement points. so for me, you have to keep pedaling when you slap on these kings..... pabor diba?
i never had the chance to use hope pro2, previous xt user here.
randy.... bili na =)
Old 02-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Bike Commuter

Go for it!!! I have Chris King Hubs on both my Bikes. And the reason is because it is really bombproof, simple to use and maintain, engagement is noticeable than my previous hubs and wheelset (Hope, Crossmax XL, XT Wheelsets) I also tried Industry Nine but I went back to KINGS.

In fairness to HOPE , it is a very good Hubset. It is the Pride of the Brits when it comes to Custom Wheelbuilding. I also love the versatility of the the Hope's Front Hubs to be converted from 9mm / 15mm / 20mm.

It is the bearing and the engagement points that really made Chris King Hubs famous. Just like what they did with the bearings of their Headset.

They won't give a 10 year warranty on this hubs if its not reliable. Only KING can give you that warranty.

@ Randy- Next time kana mag KING hubs at baka maging 5 minutes nalang pag akyat mo sa Cardiac. =)
Old 02-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Global Moderator

CK user here, bro

CK rear hubs have 72 points engagement vs 24 points for Pro 2s. I 've tried both (borrowed a friend's bike with Pro 2). The Pro 2s engage fast and rolls extremely well but if you are concerned for better rut clearing and 'ala trials' type of riding, go for CKs.
CKs are for level 2 type of riding as per the Mastering MountainBike Skills book<--when you know how to slash and rip the trails na. But those hubs can also help you ride better kahit hindi ka pa level 2 rider. I'm still at the stage of learning to ride better but I opted to use CKs na

If you want "the fastest rolling" hubs , go for DT Swiss 240s. Kung mabagal pa yun , go for DT Swiss 240s with ceramic bearings

therefore, if you have the dough for CKs , buy em.

my next advice: stick to 32 holes. you don't need 36 holes

ISOLINK Suspension for that Constant Sweet Spot
www.isolinksuspension.com
Old 02-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Bike Commuter

Thanks for the advice from the CK users. Looks like they're better than Hope hubs and your statements reflect the reviews. Looks like I'll be upgrading to CK's .....

One last thing - how much did you pay for your CK hubs and where di you buy them from?

Thanks!

Last edited by dondi; 02-08-2010 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Automerge, please use EDIT button to ADD/EDIT your recent post.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:41 PM

CK's for the win! hehe, totally satisfied with em. maybe the last pair of hubs i will ever buy =D
Old 02-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Bike Commuter

Thanks Alphabolt. Where did you buy the CKs and for how much? Will also follow your advice to stick with the 32 holes.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Global Moderator

Almost all big mainstream LBS have them bro. Sabak stocks a lot . Velocity in Cartimar is supposed to be the importer but SABAK and Paulina's seem to have more stocks

pair is about 26k-28k last time I heard

I got mine from a friend

again, stick to 32Holes ; use DT revolution spokes (these are proven bomb proof and light) ; and maybe DT 355 rims or Mavic 719s..819s for AM durability

more info: if you re planning to upgrade your fork pa ---> match the hubs to the fork na this early. I highly recommend tru axle 20mm or 15mm for non racers. The setup is so stiff and empowers you sa trails

ISOLINK Suspension for that Constant Sweet Spot
www.isolinksuspension.com
Links
Old 02-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Bike Commuter

Many thanks Alphabolt. I recently upgraded my fork and I still use QR. I will certainly upgrade to CKs as recommended by the CK users including yourself.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:21 PM
All-Mountain

if i may ask, in buying CK or hope, are the skewers included?
or i'll have to buy it separately?
Old 02-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Cross-country

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter View Post
if i may ask, in buying CK or hope, are the skewers included?
or i'll have to buy it separately?
if you buying these hubs.. no skewers included..
Old 02-09-2010, 02:08 AM
Downhiller

Mod's Note: No Selling / Trading / ADS at any Discussion Threads.

More info

PinoyMTBiker Buy and Sell Guidelines

THE CORE RULES OF NETIQUETTE

Persistent offenders will be Moderated.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Downhiller

P24,500 ang CK hubs at P16,000 ang Hope Pro 2 sa King's-Quiapo; a price difference of P8,500.
Links

Tags
hubs