PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Single Speeder, 29ers & 69ers

Notices

Single Speeder, 29ers & 69ers For 29ers, 69ers and Single Speeder Fanatics

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 07-10-2008, 05:19 PM
PMTB Mentor

Default single speed set up

related reading from proboards:

SINGLE SPEED SET-UP
Old 07-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: Single Speed Set-Up

Sir arci, I cannot access the link.

I had my bike converted to SS (32x16) yesterday by Ryan of Dirt Dawg. My rig instantly lost 3 Lbs! I rode it to work from U.P. to Pasig this morning and I liked it. Passed by Ultra to test the gear on uphill. I made it all the way up but I thought I will faint when I stopped.

Here's the thing; My bike is probably the only SS with triple chain ring. Can't remove the big and small chain ring because the chain bolts are too long. Ryan said I should get spacers.

San kaya meron?

I read in the proboards you can use spacers that are available in the hardware stores but you have to cut the side to make space for the crankarm. Is there an alternative to this?

Thanks for the inputs.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:22 AM

cocoy,

try these lockwashers, saktong sakto ang sukat–no need to trim the sides.
o ayan ha with matching price tag pa , wala sa Ace at local hardwares that time, sa Handyman (Trinoma) lang ako me nakita.

here's how it looks when installed. in this photo it looks like it is touching the chain but don't worry, it's not. (pangit lang ang angle ng shot)

'hope this helps
Old 07-11-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoy View Post

I had my bike converted to SS (32x16) yesterday by Ryan of Dirt Dawg. My rig instantly lost 3 Lbs! I rode it to work from U.P. to Pasig this morning and I liked it. Passed by Ultra to test the gear on uphill. I made it all the way up but I thought I will faint when I stopped.

Here's the thing; My bike is probably the only SS with triple chain ring. Can't remove the big and small chain ring because the chain bolts are too long. Ryan said I should get spacers.

San kaya meron?

I read in the proboards you can use spacers that are available in the hardware stores but you have to cut the side to make space for the crankarm. Is there an alternative to this?

Thanks for the inputs.
You can get a spacer that prevents bolt and nut to come loose (i don't know how it is called) na ang sukat is 5/8" yata. I have spares at home if you're near the vicinity of Taytay, Rizal.

Another option is to buy a bash guard with included bolts.

Hope this help.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:37 AM
PMTB Mentor

hi cocoy,

basically that's a link sa ating old proboards. kung member ka dun, i don't see any reason why you can't access it.mag sign-in ka lang at pwede naman yan kasi still on read-only mode ang old proboards.

anyways, i heard from some who converted their 3 rings to a single ring crank (SS).

if it's a shimano crankset, change the orig bolts to truvativ bolts (kasi it has washer, P50/each daw sa JBL). and the best siyempre is to use a bashguard.

HTH
Old 07-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Freeride

Quote:
Originally Posted by koi View Post
cocoy,

try these lockwashers, saktong sakto ang sukat–no need to trim the sides.
o ayan ha with matching price tag pa , wala sa Ace at local hardwares that time, sa Handyman (Trinoma) lang ako me nakita.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3643/spacersnb1.jpg

here's how it looks when installed. in this photo it looks like it is touching the chain but don't worry, it's not. (pangit lang ang angle ng shot)

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/449/washerla4.jpg

'hope this helps

just an inquiry. Should the washer be attached at the outer part (meaning sandwiched between the crank arm assembly and the bolt and not between the crank arm and the middle ring?)

ONE: it will be out of the chain's way.
TWO: more secured fastening. if sandwiched between crank arm assembly and middle ring, the sturdiness is dependent on how you tightly made the fastening. if it is sandwiched between crank arm assembly and bolt, the crank arm supports the middle ring on its edges, giving more torque support coming from the crank arm assembly. This helps especially if you wanted to stand up to crank up a hill.

But I think you made it that way because the washer's hole is alot bigger than the diameter of the bolt. I bought washers that perfectly snug the size of the bolts so it was possible to to sandwich it between bolt and crank arm assembly.

just my two cents..
Old 07-15-2008, 01:16 PM

hi paul,

using the above illustration, you're suggesting position B, right?

that's an old pic (the spacer at position A).
that time i'm still playing around with my chainline pa kasi.
i've tried position B also but ended up with position C for a cleaner look.

IMO that 3/8 lockwasher is a perfect spacer.
sakto sya sa bolt kayat 'di aalog ang chainring.
and it will not hit the chain whether in position A, B, or C.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Freeride

ah yes, i think either B and C have the better position as far as strength is concern. Yes, Actually I'm referring to B position.

Very clear illustration by the way!!
Old 07-15-2008, 03:38 PM

i find a set of bolt from the mechanic of king's bike shop in quiapo, the bolt came from the double chainring of road bike cranksset, it fits exactly with the single chainring of my alivio cranks.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:35 PM

regardless of whether you put the washer on the inside or the ouside of the crank arm, the washer should be between the bolt & the chainring, so you don't damage the ring if you over torque the bolt
Old 07-15-2008, 06:23 PM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoy View Post

San kaya meron?

Thanks for the inputs.
mine is also triple chainring since i converted my shimano and there is no bolts. ow im having a hardtime to do it myself and i have to bring it t my lbs.

i use a surly spacers and 18t. do i need a tensioner?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Downhiller

PROBLEM SOLVERS offers short aluminium chainring bolts for single ring setup. A bit pricey though. About 800-1000 pesoses.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:00 PM

all terra has a bunch of spacers and bolts

you will probably need a tensioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by baliwag View Post
mine is also triple chainring since i converted my shimano and there is no bolts. ow im having a hardtime to do it myself and i have to bring it t my lbs.

i use a surly spacers and 18t. do i need a tensioner?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:16 AM

are steel BMX chainring bolts easily available? they're the perfect size, tough and reliable, inexpensive as are most BMX parts. If you change chainrings a lot, its a pain to use washers/spacers. usually cost $5 in the US. Should be less in Pinas.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:52 AM
Downhiller

me , i file the nuts to the exact thickness of the chain ring removed. it gives a clean and original look. downside is you might not be able to use it again once you go back to a triple. in my case, i have lots of the screws and bolts that came from old discarded crank sets. thats the reason why i dare to file them nuts.
Links
Old 07-16-2008, 08:57 AM
All-Mountain

DOES SURLY HAVE ATENSIONER? in sabak what they had was single speed specific frame tensioner w/c i dont understand how it works. when i asked at paulinas and cycle art meron pero set na ng da bomb? where ako makahanap ng tensioner
tia
Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 AM

surly has a tensioner, but at over P2k i don't think it's worth it. for that price i would get an XT derailleur and ride geared! check cycle options ofr cheaper tensioners.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:55 PM

need help sir...... my volt on the tensioner connecting to dropout get lost tread, anyone knows where can i buy a replacemetnt volt? thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Freeride

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukat View Post
need help sir...... my volt on the tensioner connecting to dropout get lost tread, anyone knows where can i buy a replacemetnt volt? thanks in advance.

just curious... you are refering to the BOLT, right? (fastener)
Old 07-28-2008, 11:01 AM

yup! thanks for reply.....
Links