PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > Tooltime, Decals, Lubes and Detailing

Notices

Tooltime, Decals, Lubes and Detailing For your wrenching needs: Bike Tools, DIYs, Detailings
Decals and Lubes for your Bike.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 01-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Bike Commuter

Question Cable / Shifter Lubrication Question

sir..

i bought a new jagwire teflon cable..
is it ok to lube it by single oil before installation?

or put grease on the cables then inserting it on the cable housing?

ang ginawa ko is putting single oil den install e.. ok lng ba un?
Links
Old 01-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Freeride

Default Re: Cable Lubrication Question

In a way, if you really did bought them Teflon™ coated cables or some other chemically-coated cables, it is advised that you should NOT put any other lubricant on it. Lalo na 'pag may packaged na cable housing na and when using them on extremely wet and muddy environments. Let the Teflon™ coating work its magic first. 'Pag nilagyan mo kasi ng oil kagad is mas malaki ang tendency to accumulate grime and abrasive particles that actually helps in dissolving the coating. However, as only a cable coating, it would wear off and you will feel friction as any un-lubricated, non-coated cable users would, then you should feel the need to check, clean and lubricate as necessary.

Parang Teflon™ coated cookware. It wouldn't last a lifetime but at least for a period of time you could actually cook without using cooking oil.

- I've been using Teflon™ coated cables from SRAM and Alligator (Flak Jacket and Sleek-glide respectively) on my FS since August 2008 and still I haven't seen the need to get 'em dabbed with any lubricant (just the occasional gentle cleaning and flushing). Yep, I've used them on rainy and muddy days.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Downhiller

Pwede rin mag rub ng candle wax sa cable.

Ikaw na naman?!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Freeride

Ginagamit ko grease. =)
Old 01-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Downhiller

nilalagyan ko ng grasa yung cables (not the housing) kasi kinakalawang yung cables ko
Old 01-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Bike Commuter

TOO LATE.. pina instol ko na ung cables ko.. sa brake cables un lubricated.. sa shifter lubricated..

i see.. nxt time ill let teflon do its magic.. hahah..
Old 01-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Freeride

yup, sayang ung teflon coating

i just apply tire black (silicon oil) on cables when the need arises
Old 05-12-2010, 07:43 AM

Ako wet lube nilagay ko... ok naman so far!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:29 AM

ako yung dry lube na pang chain (Squirt or white lightning) ang ginagamit ko para di masyado dirt magnet, pero nilagyan ko lang sya nung installation nya.... gaano nga ba kadalas dapat lagyan ng lubrication ang cables?
Old 05-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmd View Post
Ako wet lube nilagay ko... ok naman so far!
anong wet lubes yan doc!!! ooopsss...

harharhar

i use singer oil on the cable only...

ubos na teflon coating eh...
Old 05-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Lurker

i agree with Sir LordPAOLO. just clean your teflon coated cables periodically. it will last longer without the lube.

if you really need to use lube, i suggest you use a small amount of dry or waxed based lubricant for less grime build-up. :)
Old 05-13-2010, 02:29 PM
All-Mountain

how much and where ang teflon cables? sorry for the ot
Old 12-05-2011, 11:52 AM

Default Shifter re-lubrication?

Hi Sirs!

I've searched the forum if there's already a similar thread with my inquiry, but haven't found one, so I decided to create a new thread. Moderators - If you think there's already a thread or similar thread for this, feel free to move it. TIA!

Yesterday, the rain caught me on my way home, and I was riding for one hour under the rain. The rain is quite heavy and my bike was very wet. After I got home, I washed my bike and lube it. While I'm testing my right shifter, I feel that it's hard to press (shifting from small to big ring). I was thinking that maybe the caused of it is that water get inside to my right shifter. I inspected the shifter (Deore 2012 Dyna Sis Shifter), and there are no signs of water leakage. I have planned to put couple of drops of Singer oil inside the shifter, but I'm hesitant to do so, since I'm not sure if that components need relubrication.

My question is, do you lubricate your shifter when you caught by the rain? If yes, how (i.e. disassembly the part or putting directy in the small openings of the component)? What lube do you use (i.e. singer oil, WD40, silicon oil, grease)? Truly appreciate your response. TIA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Paul View Post
Hi Sirs!

I've searched the forum if there's already a similar thread with my inquiry, but haven't found one, so I decided to create a new thread. Moderators - If you think there's already a thread or similar thread for this, feel free to move it. TIA!

Yesterday, the rain caught me on my way home, and I was riding for one hour under the rain. The rain is quite heavy and my bike was very wet. After I got home, I washed my bike and lube it. While I'm testing my right shifter, I feel that it's hard to press (shifting from small to big ring). I was thinking that maybe the caused of it is that water get inside to my right shifter. I inspected the shifter (Deore 2012 Dyna Sis Shifter), and there are no signs of water leakage. I have planned to put couple of drops of Singer oil inside the shifter, but I'm hesitant to do so, since I'm not sure if that components need relubrication.

My question is, do you lubricate your shifter when you caught by the rain? If yes, how (i.e. disassembly the part or putting directy in the small openings of the component)? What lube do you use (i.e. singer oil, WD40, silicon oil, grease)? Truly appreciate your response. TIA!
Mods - Sorry for replying, just wanted to put my inquiry to the latest posted section. It was removed there after my post was moved to this thread. Hope you'll will understand. Thanks!
Links