PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > All About DriveTrain

Notices

All About DriveTrain Discuss tech help/info on: Rear/Front Deraileur, Cranks
Bottom Bracket, Chains, Sprockets and Shifters.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 12-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Bike Commuter

Crying different kinds of Bottom Bracket (BB)

im kinda confused about cranks and BBs. which is better? square tappered bb? octa link bb? or outboard bb? currently im using an alivio crank square tappered. planning to buy a deore octalink. is it wise to buy octa link or the deore with outboard bb? bbs usually ang nasisira hndi ung crank d b, pag dating b sa presyo e ano ang mas mahal, outboard bb? or octa link bb?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Downhiller

Default Re: diferent kinds of BB

The latest BB technology is the outboard type*

Personally I won't buy cranks if it's not outboard. Which is why I made it a point to at least deore cranks for my hardtail. and also why I got FSA Gravitys instead of Truvativ Holzfellers (83mm) for my AM bike.

*actually, the latest BB technology is the BB30. But let's not get to that
Old 12-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Bike Commuter

sir ano naman po ung hollow tech na sinasbi?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Freeride

yung hollow-tech ata yung sumunod na technology sa square tampered.

bale nauna square tampered
tapos hollow-tech
tapos outboard type.

sa tibay...di ko lang alam.

pero sa weight at presyo.

pagaan toh ng pagaan.
at pamahal naman ng pamahal.

outboard na gamit ko ngayon.

dati hollow-tech.

nagsquare tampered naman ako sa converted Single speed ko na bike.
Kasi...mura at experimental lang ginawa ko.

pero wala naman talaga kaso kung ano gamit mong BB.
basta pag nasira, palit ka ng mas latest na technology.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: different kinds of Bottom Bracket (BB)

sir alin po b mura palitan ng bb? square tappered? octalink? hollowtech? outboard?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Downhiller

Hollowtech refers to the crankarms. Which are hollow. Not in any way related to the BB

Ang pagkakaalam ko, non series cranks are hollowtech but not outboard. Deore cranks are outboard but not hollow. LX/SLX cranks are both outboard and hollow
Old 12-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Cross-country

worst is isis and octalink. they used a fatter spindle so bearings are very small therefore not durable

to solve durability issue the outboard was invented which as the name implies the bearings are moved outside the BB shell so now we can have a fat spindle (hollow for weight savings) plus large bearings coz we're not constrained by the space inside the BB shell. this system works well but the BB shell must be faced properly or the bearings will wear out prematurely.

and in the beginning there was the square-taper. this is a very reliable design with large bearings but nowadays there aren't any high-end cranksets using this. it's also very economical, a shimano BB can be had for around 350. if you want lightweight you can get an FSA titanium with carbon fiber body for around 700.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Bike Commuter

Crying Re: different kinds of Bottom Bracket (BB)

mga sir which do you prefer, a deore crank octalink or deore crank outboard bb?
Old 12-08-2009, 02:45 PM

Gud day mga sirs! naka FSA alpha drive crank po ako and FSA ISIS cartridge that came with the built bike...

gusto ko po sana mag upgrade to outboard BB, ang question ko lang po e compatible naman po ba lahat ng outboard BB sa mga cranks or kailangan ko din palitan crank?

gusto ko po sana ipalit ng outboard bb e yung may color na ano po masusugest nyong brand?

salamat po!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Bike Commuter

The shimano non series cranks also uses outboard bearings :)

MY tantyamometer computes it is lighter than deore.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Global Moderator

i came from square taper to octalink to outboard. frankly speaking, it's outboard or nothing else. not just for the technical mumbo jumbo but ease of assembly din. no crankpullers needed. special tool nga lang to disassemble the bb itself from the frame.

@Crisis, as long as outboard type both for the bb and crankset they are compatible, regardless of brand.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Downhiller

it's outboard or nothing else. very easy to install

i know quite a lot about wrenching bikes, but never bothered to learn about square taer/octalink/isis! outboard or nothing
Old 12-09-2009, 12:45 AM
Bike Commuter

Red face Re: different kinds of Bottom Bracket (BB)

how about performance of outboard bb's? in the trail during crashes will it survive? or during rainy season? or biking in dusty places? mud?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:53 AM
All-Mountain

...no issues with outboard bb's, i am on my 3rd now, 1st one (xtr's)lasted for ~ 9 mons, with sta rosa dirt and mud! good enough for me. now using aftermarkert RF X-types..., my wife's bike also uses xt's so far its holding up, but these are rarely exposed to mud (dry trail and road lang) these outboard bb's are not sealed, it only has a protective plastic cover to atleast prevent water... grime to seep through it's bearings.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Global Moderator

i've heard stories that nalublob yung crankset on water with sand. then the sand particles embeded between the cranks and the bb cover of the outboard. although madaling i-resolve yun, as long as you have allen wrenches. you can actually remove the plastic cover of the cranks after proper installation.

as far as crashes and riding in the rain. pareho lang din yan with octalink and square taper. and i think, mas madali linisin and outboard.
Links
Old 12-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthrax76
@Crisis, as long as outboard type both for the bb and crankset they are compatible, regardless of brand.
mod anthrax, in my experience hindi po compatible ang truvativ outboard bb (gxp) sa shimano or even a raceface crank....
Old 12-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Global Moderator

@slam, 'di nga? yay, thanks for the correction. magkaiba length or magkaiba diameter?

so far i've heard token and shimano are compatible. most likely they are also compatible with fsa.

pero with truvativ....i suppose 'di na ISIS ang gamit nila.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Downhiller

mas makapal ang bearing cups ng truvativ giga-x-pipe mod, so most probably mas mahaba ang spindle ng truvativ. i didnt bother to fit a shimano o shimano compatible outboard bb sa aking firex crank before to really check kung pepede nga siya.

sa mga nakikita ko, pwede ang token outboard bb sa shimano and raceface. im not that sure with fsa kung compatible as i've yet to see one.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Freeride

for me i find no difference in performance between square taper and outboard type bbs

my 1992 gary fisher has a pressed-in sealed bb with square taper axle and shimano biopace (oval) cranks 46-36-26

my schwinn hg moab has outboard bb with xtr crankset 44-32-22

the next project retrobike will be using square taper bb (shimano UN90) and old skul xt m737 crankset

i find the bigger teeth biopace crankset easier to pedal than the xtr crankset even though the schwinn is about a kilo lighter

bb performance same lang

ease of bb installation same din lang, both use special tools

removal of crankset, outboard bb wins all that's needed is an allen wrench and plastic cap screw

cost of bb, square taper is more economical

BUT the biggest problem with square taper bb is that it comes in a wide variety of axle lengths that should be matched with the crankset so as to arrive at the correct chainline, not to mention that it is specific to either a 68mm or 73mm bb shell

also finding the correct length axle is more difficult nowadays since most LBS are just disposing off their old stocks, wala na silang parating na bago

that's the beauty of the outboard bbs, they come with atleast 3 ring spacers that you can use on either end and it doesn't mind if you have a 68mm or 73mm bb shell
Old 05-21-2010, 10:42 AM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyes View Post
for me i find no difference in performance between square taper and outboard type bbs

my 1992 gary fisher has a pressed-in sealed bb with square taper axle and shimano biopace (oval) cranks 46-36-26

my schwinn hg moab has outboard bb with xtr crankset 44-32-22

the next project retrobike will be using square taper bb (shimano UN90) and old skul xt m737 crankset

i find the bigger teeth biopace crankset easier to pedal than the xtr crankset even though the schwinn is about a kilo lighter

bb performance same lang

ease of bb installation same din lang, both use special tools

removal of crankset, outboard bb wins all that's needed is an allen wrench and plastic cap screw

cost of bb, square taper is more economical

BUT the biggest problem with square taper bb is that it comes in a wide variety of axle lengths that should be matched with the crankset so as to arrive at the correct chainline, not to mention that it is specific to either a 68mm or 73mm bb shell

also finding the correct length axle is more difficult nowadays since most LBS are just disposing off their old stocks, wala na silang parating na bago

that's the beauty of the outboard bbs, they come with atleast 3 ring spacers that you can use on either end and it doesn't mind if you have a 68mm or 73mm bb shell
Revive ko lang yong thread kasi may question ako.

So ibig ba sabihin pag outboard bb, doesn't mater anong size nung bb shell sa frame? Concern kasi ako sa compatibility ng mabibili kong bottom bracket with the frame i'm going to use it with, lalo na pag 2nd hand.
Links