PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions

Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions For newbies who wanted to ask any info on mountainbiking stuff.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano

Old 10-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: Buying 2nd Hand Items, A Newbie's Dilemma

ako as a newbie had bought some items sa B&S section natin, like handle bar, seatpost, front and rear derail, jockey wheel etc. pero so far naman all are in pristine condition (ika nga ng seller), and i can say na you talk to the seller and ask all the questions you like to know about the product. one more thing, all these items are thru LBC's and Air 21 transaction. i havent seen the product until only when it is delivered by the courier. tiwala na lang ako sa seller, any way hindi naman sila yayaman for one thousand pesos and pwede mo pa lagyan ng negative feed back.

Links
Old 10-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Freeride

When buying stuff, stay away from strangers, whether it is 2nd hand or brand new.

Scams (online or actual) are rampant.

You are always better off buying 2nd hand from people you know,
or from people whom your friends know,
or from your favorite Local Bike Shop (LBS).

It is also important that you are buying something that fits your intended purpose and needs.

I've asked bikers who are using frames 2 sizes smaller than recommended,
and their reason is... mura kasi binenta sa akin.

"Toink!"

The price you pay for carpal tunnel, polio or plain vanilla accident
could end up more expensive than a brand new bike.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Single-Speeder

Wag naman nating ismolin ang mga segunda manong parte, malaking bagay yun sa katulad ko na nagtitipid at walang pambili ng BAGO.

Meron din akong mga nabiling 2nd hand parts pero dun lang sa mga Legitimate Sellers na kilala ko. hanggang ngayon nakakabit pa sa chucker ko.

Basta kilalanin nyo muna ang mga nagbebenta kung anong LARO nila. Syempre kapag baragan ang laro nung rider, alam nyo na....

Old 10-19-2009, 10:35 AM

thanks sir gadgets88 and onalokib: it pays to know the seller whether you are buying a brand new or second hand item... mahirap na kasi buhay ngayon.. if you trust the seller, you will not worry anymore whether the item is in good condition or whether its price is just right..

i learned a lot from all your suggestions mga sirs...i am now "wiser" ::

Old 10-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Freeride

After visual inspection and purchasing an item (brand new or 2nd hand),
take time to use the item immediately, test drive kung baga.

Within 24 hours, or a week (at most), if a defect is discovered,
do not have second thoughts about letting the seller know.
Without delay, ask if the seller can help you solve the problem.

More often than not, a good seller will
replace or refund a portion of the payment,
as a consideration to the discovered defect.
(Even in SM department store,
you can return an item within a week,
and replace it with another item).

If you got the item from a stranger with no history
or no address (nagkita lang kayo sa LRT station),
goodbye my love, goodbye.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Lurker

Greetings PinoyMTBikers!

This is my first post but I've been a frequent visitor of this community for quite some time now. I was brought to this site via Google search as I was specifically looking for some info/details about the ZSC DH Team frame. Not much info over the internet about this frame. I need help and insights about buying a second hand MTB as a friend of mine is leaving the country and is selling his bike for 8k. Please see the specs below:

Frame: ZSC DH Team
Fork: Suntour XCR with LO
Groupset: Shimano Altus (I'm not sure if it's a groupset but most of it I'm sure is Altus)
Rims: Alexrims DX32 (B)
Tire: Maxxis Minion DHF
Handle Bar: Amoeba (magnesium alloy)
Seatpost: Da Bomb Delux
Saddle: Da Bomb
Pedal: MOB (platform)
Crankset: Shimano non-series (I think)

It also has a waterproof Shimano speedometer which is 5m submersible.
Other info: few minor scratches; has been ridden on and of road, up and DH; 3-4 years old; selling price: 8k

I know that this is already a good bike for starters or for somebody like me who wants to ride a bike again, and rebuild the interest while meeting new people with same interest and get fit at the same time. I have a few concerns though: (1) the frame and the setup are for DH but it has an XC fork and a magnesium alloy handlebar while having a recreational MTB component. (2) Considering the price value, market value, age, and history of the bike – is 8k just right or is it too expensive? I know that you can’t get a brand new setup like this for 8k, so should I go for it? I am also considering buying/setting up a new bike or getting a second hand bike with a more specific discipline-oriented design (i.e. XC all the way or AM all the way) with an initial budget of 18-20k and go from there. Quite lengthy, hehe! TIA and more power!

Old 11-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Global Moderator

@GUDZE, here goes a lengthy answer....

i'm not really sure about the setup of the ZSC DH team, but i have seen it getting abused. it's a strong frame, i'm not sure though about the geometry. you could try taking a picture and get a protractor, then compare it with the measurements from the internet. if it's in the geometry of an XC bike, then there's no problem. if it's a little slack, you might find it slow in turns or too laid back on seated riding in flats. no problem on the handlebar, magnesium is stiff and light so don't think about it.

if the bike is in good condition, 8K is a good buy. check for cracks, seals, bearings. btw, if you have something like a 20K budget for a bnew bike, you might as well get the bnew. i'm not sure how much DH has the bike seen or if it's really a DH track/trail.

better yet...he he he, you might also get someone to help you when you inspect the bike. from the components, it is ready for DH so it's on the heavy side, drivetrain is entry level.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:36 PM

Dude, i think 8k is already good for that. the components alone are already good for 8k.

XCR with LO, bentahan ng 2nd hand is 1.8k to 2k.
im not sure bout the groupset, but i think mababa na 2k para ibenta right?
let's say frame is for 3k.

7k na yun, wala pang wheelset at cranks and cockpit.

just my opinion.

Links