PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions

Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions For newbies who wanted to ask any info on mountainbiking stuff.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store MT Pro Bikes Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports ISOLINK Mtb Suspension System Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano Business Venture 888 - 12 O'Clock Bike Components Parts and Accessories.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:56 PM

Question Buying 2nd Hand Items, A Newbie's Dilemma

I realized, by viewing the B&S Section often, that many of us buy second hand parts/items/components/accessories. I will not be surprised if many of those who buy there are newbies like me. I personally buy 2nd hand items for the obvious reason that they are cheaper.

My question is: How may we, newbies, protect ourselves when buying 2nd hand items? What must we look for in an item (aside from the physical condition of the item and how "nice" an item appears) to make sure that we are not buying a "lemon" or an item that is defective.

The thread on Buyer/Seller feedback only tell us about the attitude of the sellers/buyers but not the quality of the item purchased (at least, from those i viewed).

I hope PMTB gurus can tell us how to scrutinize items before buying them. (e.g. i read somewhere here that you have to place a rotor on a flat glass surface to make sure its flat before buying it.)

Mods, please move this if there is an existing thread that already answered my question. I tried searching pero i did not find any..

Maraming salamat!

Links
Old 10-13-2009, 02:33 PM
All-Mountain

Default Re: Buying 2nd Hand Items, A Newbie's Dilemma

share ko lang opinion ko on this matter;
I think the first thing a newbie must do is - reseach ( at internet most likely)the parts or items that he's/she's going to buy. see if it's in good condition, and it's not bad to ask kung bakit binebenta-, or you can ask a friend who's into mt. bike. or you can call LBS, much better if you drop by- to check out the new ones and there you can ask them reg. the said items. As for the 2nd hand - make sure your not buying it (2nd hand)at the price that you can almost buy a new one. Why not buy a brand new kung konti nalang diffrence dba.

The only way to protect ourselves from buying 2nd hand items is to get hold of ourselves from the grabbing-moments- what i mean is yun tipong pabigla-bigla,yun tipong - 'uy mura na toh, bilhin ko na...

The other side of second -hand parts -
it is not a secret to us that not all 2nd-hand parts are what we might call "gasgas or laspag", meron naman po na bago pa- as the saying goes " 1 time, two time, or three time use" ito ang mga tipo na maganda bilhin at a reasonable price lalo na if you have a way of making tawad.

Hope somehow-may maitulong ang mga nasabi ko dito.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Cross-country

+1 ako sa opinyon ni sir traildrift.

kung konti lang diperensya bili na lang ng brand new - "peace of mind"

better bring a friend who knows the "ins and outs" of mtb

my 2 cents

Old 10-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Bike Fanatic

There's no trick to it. You have to know the part you are buying. There are tons of information on the net, on PMTB, etc on MTB parts so. As with any other sport, learn learn learn. Some parts are easy to check e.g. stems, handlebars, just check kung ok pa yung weld, may crack ba etc? When it's a more complex item, that's when it gets tricky e.g. a fork, does the rebound work? when was it last serviced? Gasgas sa stanchions? Steerer tube aligned?

Old 10-13-2009, 04:06 PM

Sometimes nakakalito nga tumingin ng mga parts. i admit hindi ako masyadong familiar sa mga brands that's why i always ask questions sa mga marurunong.

Advice: try to ask a lot of question about the product from the other person, was sa seller (ofcourse they will tll you good things bout the stuff)

and tama rin na, if the price difference from the brandnew item is small, dun ka na lang sa brandnew.

And personally, i don't accept the reason ng seller na almost new yung item, unless its still in the packaging.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Suspended

Tricky. Yup it's tricky to buy 2nd hand. There are some things to do to atleast avoid making a bad deal. Here are some ideas:

1. It's good to buy from a seller whom you know. If you dont know the seller, do some research (see his/her feedback, read his/her posts, see his/her friends list, etc.)

2. Make sure to inspect or try the products first before closing the deal. Sometimes photos can hide details that may make or break a deal. If it's not possible to inspect or try them, then the seller should give assurance about the condition of the items.

3. Buy from sellers who sell often. The more often they sell, the more you know that more buyers have experienced dealing with them. Also, the more often they sell, the more often they buy too. So the newer or unused the items probably are.

4. Be informed and knowlegeable. The more you know about current prices, the better you are armed to make a wise decision on buying 2nd hand items. And the more you know how a new or genuine product looks like, the better you are armed in spotting a used or abused item (or even a fake one).

5. Don't be shy or afraid to ask for help. A friend or riding buddy can help you spot a good deal / good item.

HTH.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:44 PM

..maraming salamat po sa mga responses.. they're all very enlightening..

i will definitely avoid "uy, mura na 'to, bihin ko na" moments.. although this is what newbies usually fall into..

and yes, i will try to research more about an item: price, brands, etc..

thanks sir titaniumgearsolid for summarizing!

i also make it a point to read threads in the Newbie's FAQ. I am learning little by little about bike parts and accessories..tama po na mangtanong lang ng magtanong sa mga experienced MTBikers - problema ko lang po ay hindi pa ako nakakasali sa rides.. nagpapalakas pa, hehehe..kaya wala pa ako masyado kilala..

fortunately for me, the sellers i have encountered so far were very accommodating and "madali kausap": THUMBSUP: sana po laging ganun.

Thanks mga sirs!

Old 10-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Single-Speeder

Dati may nag-inquire sa akin thru text na member daw sya ng PMTB, tinanong ko handlename nya, pero nung na-check ko sa Members list walang ganung handle (sagot nya: kelangan pa ba talaga ang handlename?)...nakakaduda di po ba?

Mas maganda kung MEET nyo muna sya para ma-check nyo kung nasa magandang kondisyon ang bibilhin nyong parts. Magsama din kayo ng friend nyo para mas safe.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:42 AM

that's also a problem sir.. we don't know where the sellers are coming from sometimes. you are right sir onalokib, we should check the handle in the members' list. This way, we at least know who we are dealing with.. it is easier to decide when you "know" and see the person face to face. :

Old 10-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Single-Speeder

i often encounter items b&s section na mas mahal or nearly as much as the price in an lbs, or at least nung nabili nila yung item. ayaw ba nila ibenta yun or hoping na may newbie who would be suckered into buying it? don't get me wrong but there are also excellent deals dyan sa trade central. most often nga lang, mauunahan ka sa good items.

well, the old and oft-repeated saying na " if it's too good to be true, it probably is" still goes. the earlier advice to be knowledgeable or bringing someone who is is likewise very sound. make your own rounds sa mga lbs and the internet to check current prices. also, "magingat sa mga matatamis ang dila."

for me, it depends on so many factors - the item, the type of rider it came from, the price and so on.... for some items kasi na you know are built to last, it's probably ok to get them with a minimal check. of course kung aggressive yung rider and he rides quite often, you are pretty sure bugbog ang component....

Old 10-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Bike Commuter

To cut the long story short....

Newbies should stay away from 2nd Hand items...

Caveat Emptor with regards to Pre Owned Items.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:21 AM

you're correct sir theprophet, either nauunahan ang mga newbies sa 2nd hand items na magaganda at mura, or napupunta sila sa mga "sweet talkers" na sellers who will sell expensive + low quality items.. :sad::

sir DonT, tama, staying away from 2nd hand items is a safe thing to do for newbies like me... unless, of course, kulang talaga ang budget at hindi makapaghintay na mabuo for a brand new item...

..maraming salamat sa mga replies, insights, suggestions, at kuru-kuro... i am now wiser... ::applause:

Old 10-14-2009, 03:34 PM
All-Mountain

The best thing to do is just use your mtb ika nga ni michael jackson just beat it . Save up, pag may nasira tsaka ka lang magpalit ng pyesa. Brand new pa mabibili mo...Wag magmadali, ride more upgrade less.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Downhiller

i had several good deals with sellers in the B&S section, so far all items are working good. kapag malaki laki ang value ng item i do some research , inaalam ko ang previous transactions ng seller , kapag medyo d naman masyado mahal i just trust my intuition and my little knowledge about the item .

i almost closed a deal for a counterfeit frame, thanks to sir framebreaker for his advice , he replied to my PM with wisdom, sir salamat po.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:25 PM

Thumbs up Re: Buying 2nd Hand Items, A Newbie's Dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumgearsolid View Post
Tricky. Yup it's tricky to buy 2nd hand. There are some things to do to atleast avoid making a bad deal. Here are some ideas:

1. It's good to buy from a seller whom you know. If you dont know the seller, do some research (see his/her feedback, read his/her posts, see his/her friends list, etc.)

2. Make sure to inspect or try the products first before closing the deal. Sometimes photos can hide details that may make or break a deal. If it's not possible to inspect or try them, then the seller should give assurance about the condition of the items.

3. Buy from sellers who sell often. The more often they sell, the more you know that more buyers have experienced dealing with them. Also, the more often they sell, the more often they buy too. So the newer or unused the items probably are.

4. Be informed and knowlegeable. The more you know about current prices, the better you are armed to make a wise decision on buying 2nd hand items. And the more you know how a new or genuine product looks like, the better you are armed in spotting a used or abused item (or even a fake one).

5. Don't be shy or afraid to ask for help. A friend or riding buddy can help you spot a good deal / good item.

HTH.
thanks sir titaniumgearsolid! this is the most solid advise i have read today! i am also a newbie who is in the process of buying used items for my second project

more power pmtb!

Links
Old 10-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Cross-country

Im a newbie as well and always browse through the BS section here in PMTB. Buying second hand items online is surely is risky for those who don't know what they are buying. I have transacted with a few from BS but just for bike accessories. If you can afford a new one then why bother settle for a second hand item. I guess a few newbies like me buy second hand items simply to try the product. (testing muna) Others would be because of the price which is around 30% lower than the brand new item. And lastly yung mga tinatamad pumunta sa lbs kaya online nalang sila bumubili.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:00 PM
All-Mountain

hmm .. tumpak si Dont

parang "pag yaw mo ng Risk on Buying Second hand, Buy @ S.M. may resibo, with tax. air con" lol buy @ LBS pala...

Old 10-15-2009, 02:43 AM
Downhiller

An important "skill" to learn is determining the value of a typical item. Dun mo masasabi kung mura nga/good deal.

Dati, nagtatanong pa ako sa mga kaibgan ko kung magkano value ng isang item. Over time, natutunan ko na din magpresyo sa pamamagitan ng pagtambay sa trading forum. Halos lahat ng thread dun binabasa ko. So nagkaka idea ako sa presyo

Old 10-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Bike Commuter

for me dial a friend who knows about parts and then call a reputable bikeshop and ask for the price kung brandnew.

kasi napansin ko sa buy and sell section konti lang difference sa price ng brandnew and second hand pag nakatsamba ka pa halos prehas lng

ang tawag dun tamang asinta lang

Old 10-15-2009, 02:07 PM

you're right sirs... checking the pricing (if reasonable or almost brand new price pa rin) may be done by researching, by calling LBS, and asking someone who knows MTB parts well.. and i will do this from now on..

when it comes to quality, i will check the seller's reputation (profile, posts, friends, etc) before dealing with him... as titaniumgearsolid said: "buy from sellers who sell often"..

just a suggestion, since all forums are being moderated anyway, will it be possible for mods to "screen" second hand items that are being sold - alert when price is too high (parang brand new), comment on "defects" shown in the pics that were not stated, etc.. i noticed kasi lately that more and more posts do not follow guidelines - e.g. incomplete info, no pic, etc... i know this might be asking too much from the mods though.. naisip ko lang po..

Thanks...

Links