PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > All about Frame and Suspensions

Notices

All about Frame and Suspensions Discuss tech help/info for: Hardtail and Full Suspension Frame
Fork, Shocks, Saddle Shocks.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 01-28-2010, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Trek 8500 frame on using shimano press fit?

Pag ba na kabit na ung press fit sa frame ay hindi na pede gamitin ung outboard bb na kasama ng crankset?
Links
Old 01-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Cross-country

Default Re: Trek 8500 frame on using shimano press fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrick View Post
Pag ba na kabit na ung press fit sa frame ay hindi na pede gamitin ung outboard bb na kasama ng crankset?
yes di na siya magagamit
Old 02-25-2010, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Maximum fork travel for Trek EX5

me too i thought kaya ang 140mm fork..How much is EX5 anyway?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:14 PM
All-Mountain

With the EX8, the 2009 model are designed to accomodate 130 but for 2010 they went back to 120.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Bike Fanatic

63-67k ata at lifecycles.

in my opinion, though, it could accomodate a longer travel fork than it was intended to(up to 20mm) without changing the handling so much since part of this extra travel (.7 inches) would still be used to take up sag, thus leaving you with less than half an inch of extra travel, slackening your tube angle by only 1-2degrees. . . not much in my opinion. mas precise(slower) pa steering, negating the need to change to wider bars. . . correct me if im wrong gurus.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Bike Fanatic

In my opinion, you can increase travel by up to 20mm - as long as you're ready to compensate with the slight change in handling. Kung di talaga puede mag increase travel then indi dapat gamitin mga U-turn and TALAS forks.

I also emailed Trek regarding increasing the travel of my fork from 100 to 120mm and got the same response as Leonard. I use the 120mm now but I just compensate with the sag. I run 30% sag so that when I'm on the bike the geometry is almost the same and I get a plusher ride. One of my Lbs mechanics said that the increased travel of my fork shouldn't be too much of a problem since I'm a heavy guy to begin with so the extra travel would be put to good use. I would presume that a 20mm increase wouldn't be too much of a change, but if you want to be really sure then maybe a 130mm fork or an adjustable travel fork would be best just to be on the safe side.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Bike Fanatic

great point there sir acmi re travel adjustable forks. . . One thing remains constant though. . . It's gonna void your warranty, in case things go bad
Old 02-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Bike Fanatic

Thank you for the kind words - he he he. Warranty oriented talaga ang Amerikano. I don't like pushing my luck though so I wouldn't stray so far from the recommendations. I put my 120 fork side by side with a 100mm fork kase before installation and the overall difference looked very minute. Pag may sag na nga parang 100mm na siya. But if given a choice I wouldn't experiment too much. Mahirap na ma disgrasya.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Freeride

When they match a frame to a fork, or a shock for that matter, they also account for sag. 20mm isn't a big difference however it will change the way your bike will ride. For better or for worse? It depends. There are, frames designed for a wide variety of fork travels. IHMO, its better to increase travel rather than reduce travel recommended by manufacturers.

OT: I had a problem with my shock rp23, had a spare rp3. My shock is 7.5 x 2, the replacement is 7.75x2.25. You'd think 0.25 wouldn't affect the ride much. Yet it did. I had to adjust the fork (it was a TALAS) but I couldn't get that magic feeling, the bike felt wrong. Eventually I got the rp23 back and was never happier to return it to the frame.

If you like the way your bike rides, don't mess with it too much. You may end up with a lemon. =)
Old 02-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Bike Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon View Post
.OT: I had a problem with my shock rp23, had a spare rp3. My shock is 7.5 x 2, the replacement is 7.75x2.25. You'd think 0.25 wouldn't affect the ride much. Yet it did. I had to adjust the fork (it was a TALAS) but I couldn't get that magic feeling, the bike felt wrong. Eventually I got the rp23 back and was never happier to return it to the frame.

If you like the way your bike rides, don't mess with it too much. You may end up with a lemon. =)
I agree on this one, since that .25 difference is actually more than an inch taking into consideration the leverage between the shock travel and the wheel travel, thus affecting the bike's handling characteristics

Last edited by mcoy123; 02-28-2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Automerge, please use EDIT button to ADD/EDIT your recent post.
Links
Old 02-06-2011, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Trek frames

frame pa lang po ba yun? 18k na kaagad?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Cross-country

Default Re: Trek frames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
frame pa lang po ba yun? 18k na kaagad?

yes sir trek frame 8500 series at 18k without the press fit bb
Old 02-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Bike Commuter

Default Trek frame

sir, newbie po, may nabibili po ba na Trek hard Tail frame model 3 series (3700)? kasi po parang built bike lang na-kikita ko. if meron po saan kaya ma-kikita to' and how much. thanks po.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Lurker

Default TREK BIKE need to consult

My Mom bought me a MTB Trek Series 3 3500 Disc last two weeks. Worth 18k.

Colors
Matte Metallic Black/Matte Signature Green
Gloss Platinum

Frame
Alpha Silver Aluminum w/externally relieved head tube, bi-axial down tube, disc compatible dropouts, replaceable derailleur hanger

Front suspension
SR Suntour XCT w/coil spring & preload, 80mm travel

Size 16 because my height is 5'5

Wheels
Formula DC20 alloy front hub, DC25 alloy rear hub; Bontrager 550 36-hole rims w/brushed sidewalls

Tires
Bontrager LT3, 26x2.0"

Shifters
Shimano EF51, 7 speed

Front derailleur
Shimano TX

Rear derailleur
Shimano TX35

Crank
Shimano TX M131, 42/34/24

Cassette
SRAM PG-730 12-32, 7 speed

Pedals
Wellgo nylon platform

Saddle
Bontrager SSR

Seatpost
Bontrager SSR, 31.6mm, 20mm offset

Handlebar
Bontrager Riser, 25.4mm, 30mm rise

Stem
Bontrager Forged, 25.4mm

Headset
1-1/8" threadless

Brakeset
HL 280 mechanical disc brakes w/Shimano EF51 levers

Grips
Bontrager SSR

I just need to ask you guys is it worth buying for a beginner like me worth 18k?

Is TREK a good brand?

What should i replace first?

Thank you guys. Hope you can help me ;)
Old 07-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: TREK BIKE need to consult

well...you've bought it so we can't say pretty much anything about it. is it bnew? it's still sporting a 21 speed drivetrain with a compact crank. you pretty much paid for the Trek brand but not the components.

as for change....try to ride it first and know what works.

IMO, you might want to change your drivetrain to 9 or 10 speed later on. ride it for now then save up for the drivetrain upgrade. reason being is...it will be really difficult to find replacement for the drivetrain parts.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Downhiller

good shop by your mom. you should tag her along everytime! (works when you're own personal money can't cope with the wants)

my suggestion. upgrade when the parts become broken, decimated and unusuable. my 4 peso thought.

do not upgrade kasi you want it. that is the waste of all things.

use until it breaks. then upgrade. para maapreciate mo ang pagkabasag ng parts mo.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Cross-country

@iJeff17- Agree ako with anthrax76 on his question kung brandnew ba yan? Kung bnew, you may want to hold on to upgrades muna and save muna for future "needed" upgrades. Gaya nga ng sabi dito sa forum, laspagin mo muna ung bike and then ikaw mismo ang makakapagsabi kung ano ang gusto mong unang iupgrade.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:42 PM
All-Mountain

Sir iJeff - Yes, Trek is a good brand (I ahve my old school 4300 that still serves me well)
And as sir Anthrax said, for the price (and with the drive train), your mom pretty much paid for the brand.

Upgrades? Before anything else, get a helmet that fits you right and a water bottle for hydration. If you are a newbie (I'm guessing you are), no need to replace anything meantime. As long as it works and can bring you places, get out and ride! Ride the road to get acquainted with your baby... I had a 21 speed drive train for the longest time and just got to change it when it got busted (yes, 7 spd parts are very hard to come by nowadays). But these parts don't go out easy, it can take years of abuse before they break down.

I hope you can upload a picture so that we may have a look see...

Ride safe...
Old 07-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Lurker

@anthrax76 yes sir it's brandnew when my mom bought it. So it means Trek is a good brand but the components is not that great? Hehe..

In the near future i will do that to change my drivetrain.

Thanks sir for your giving me an idea.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Global Moderator

Do you happen to know Lance Armstrong? He rides Trek road bikes :) google him to find out.

I'm not saying the components are not great. what i'm saying is...the current trend in MTB drivetrains are already at 10 speed (11 speed is coming in real fast btw). your mtb is sporting a 7 speed drivetrain which is mostly found on mall bikes. they're kinda dated already. heck it's already difficult to find 8 speed components now. 9 speed is also getting harder to find.
Links

Tags
8500, fit, outboard, press, trek, trek mtb