PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > All about Frame and Suspensions

Notices

All about Frame and Suspensions Discuss tech help/info for: Hardtail and Full Suspension Frame
Fork, Shocks, Saddle Shocks.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 09-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Freeride

Default Re: trek 4400 series

its an entry level bike. it has relatively good parts.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Bike Commuter

Default trek 4400 series

Its hydraulic disc brakes (Shimano M486) receives good reviews. I wanted this bike, but its price is beyond the budget that I set for an entry level hardtail, so I got the Mongoose Tyax Super (P18,000). ROX sells the 4400 for P26,000.

The 4400 is a good bike. Ride it!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:08 AM

Smile Trek frames

Good am bros,I'm planning to buy a trek hardtail frame.Can you recommend a certain model for xc with a price range of 20k below and where LBS can i buy it.TIA
Old 10-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Global Moderator

Default Re: Trek frames

easiest is to surf the Trek website, get the model you want, get a second and third choice. then call a distributor, i'd recommend Extreme kasi yun ang alam kong distributor ng Trek.

baka kasi wala nung model na gusto mo, it's better to know which are available locally and if they have a size that fits you.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Bike Freak

Lots of Treks also at LifeCycle and ROX. Agree, better to go around and check what's on the market now.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Lurker

Smile Re: Trek frames

welcome to the trek family bro.i just reserved one which is 2010 trek 8500 series hardtail.the problem is i will wait for 2 weeks for the reason that the new innovation of this model is that the BB is threadless unlike the older models.which means to say that you will need what they call the press fit BB to be able to mount your crank in it.and that is sold seperately.pero sulit bro!maganda yung frame and i think it is one of the lightest alloy frame in the market today.grab one!
Old 10-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Bike Fanatic

Your budget for the frame will enable you to buy the top of the line hardtail frame which is the 8500. I'm using the 2009 8500 and I'm very happy with it. Very racy ang geometry. You can get the 8000 if you want a different paint scheme since it's the same frame - components sa built bike lang ang iba. Basta alpha red aluminum kunin mo. The welds are look very well done. Good luck and welcome to the Trek family as stated by Mhel. You won't regret it.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Downhiller

Sa Cartimar worth 20K last Sept 19 nag canvass ako. Less 10% sa Pro-Fit ata yun & sa T&R if di ko nagkakamali. Sa Paulina same price pero konti lang magbigay ng discount don. Kapag credit card wala discount (personal experiene ko lang 'to.) The problem di ko bumili di available pa ung BB for shimano (for XT crank), For Truvativ Stylo wala rw problem my BB. Ung neighbor ko naka Trek 8500 model 2010, P1,300 daw bili nya sa BB for Truvative.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Lurker

@shimano08---20k price nila but may discount pa.10-15 percent depende sa lbs.lifecycle will give you up to 2k discount.look for dave.but still,you will wait for the press fitBB for it if you use shimano crank.i think sa oct 15 availible na yun.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Bike Fanatic

I bought my frame at Lifecycles this June - 18k cash from 20k. I'm using a Token ceramic bottom bracket (3.6k I think) and I put up my shimano SLX bottom bracket for sale since it wouldn't fit - at least I had an excuse to upgrade to ceramic - he he he - atsaka red pa for bling.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Bike Commuter

Default Trek frame geometry

hi

What are the differences between

1. trek 4-series

2. trek 6-series

3. trek 8-series

i would like to know more about the differences in their geometry, are the differences significant? will i be more comfortable on a 4 series but "slower" on a 6...???? if u say...racy geometry...would it sacrifice comfort factor

i would like to know more about geometry than material....

please expound on this as im very interested
Old 10-22-2009, 05:26 AM
Lurker

google mo nlang pards.search mo trek frames para complete info.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Bike Fanatic

xxx: In a nutshell - 8 series frames are made from Alpha Red aluminum which is 7000 series and is stronger than 6000 series. Most 7000 series aluminum I think are supposed to be heavier than 6000 but with the Alpha series, they made it lighter
6 series - same geometry (racy - long top tube) as the 8 series but with Alpha Black which is 6000 series aluminum.
4 series - Alpha black but with more upright geometry - so in theory it's supposed to be less "racy" but that's up to your legs and body proportions.
Kahit ano bike mo but malakas ka then you are still "racy".
Hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Bike Commuter

ACMI

hello actually 6-series have shorter effective top tube than the 4-series....so i guess mas upright cya. a difference of .2 inches shorter than the 4-series
....(is that even significant?)

tataka lang ako bakit mas racy cya as compared sa 4-series....and mas upright ang 6-series sa 4 series.....

material is immaterial.....as im confused enough with frame geometry....but will dwell on that after my thorough understanding of frames

and going back to my first question....

1. if mas racy ang frame....mas mahirap ba sa longer rides (but not too long)?

2. does half inch shorter wheelbase effect a big change.....in terms of handling and stability?

trek 4-series wheelbase is 40.5"

trek 6-series wheelbase is 41"

3. what about head angle

4. malaki ba pagkaka-iba quarter inch difference sa effective top tube? and 4-series and 6 -series kc ganoon eh

5. what are the pros and cons of both "slightly" different geometries? When you say stability...what does that even mean? Momentum ba on a straight road path?

Sorry for my silly questions....i tried googling them...and even went so far as to check on trek...but the answers prove unsatisfactory.

Na try mo na ba using both frames? or comparative frames...thanks

and i agree...its the rider ...not the frame.....or the parts.

but a little geometric and mechanical advantage feels good.

thanx
Old 10-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Bike Fanatic

XXX:

Hello again.

First of all, I just want to make a friendly correction regarding what you said about the top tube length between 6 and 4 series. The 6 series definitely has a longer top tube. The 18.5 frame has a 23.9 inch top tube while for the 4 series, the 18 frame top tube is 22.4 inches and the 19.5 frame's TT is 22.9 - a full inch shorter than the 6 series. The wheelbase of the 19.5 inch 4 series is 42.1 inches while the WB of the 19.5 6 series is 43.3 inches. Definitely mas mahaba or laid out ang geometry of the 6 series.

Regarding question number one: What is important is what fits you well. If you have a short torso in relation to your legs, a long top tube may make the distance to your handlebar too great, straining your shoulders, wrists, neck and ultimately your back. If your body type is the opposite, then maybe the reach will be just right. Your riding position can also be modified using your saddle position, seatpost height, stem length and angle, and handle bars. I myself like the "racy" position, or a stretched out cockpit if you will because my torso is a little on the long side. My previous bike had a short TT so I felt cramped unable to fully power down on my pedal strokes, and climbing was a diffiicult experience since I couldn't move around very well.

Question 2: It definitely makes a difference on technical terrain - but if you don't experience it for yourself then you won't know what I'm referring too. Basically leaning over on a long WB is more stable, climbs should be a bit easier, but a short WB makes hucking the bike around tight terrain easier - general maneuverability is better, so it still boils down to skill, terrain and confidence.

Question 3: Steeper means twitchier but more precise steering, better climbing (you won't feel like falling over backwards on steep terrain), but scarier downhills (you have to be good at moving back behind your saddle).
Slacker means slightly sluggish steering but less twitchy, harder climbs, more comfortable downhills (a bit less likely to throw you over the handlebars).

Question 4: You have to feel that for yourself - our body proportions are all different.

Question 5: For me, stability means going through tough terrain, maintaining momentum, moving my body around the bike and leaning into turns without losing traction and control of the bike.

Your questions aren't silly - giving advice is not a problem. I don't fancy myself as an expert, I'm just imparting what I have learned so far, and these are my personal opinions and perceptions.

I haven't tried the 4 series (I have the 8 series), but my previous bike had a short top tube. I like my new bike a lot better - my biking buddies are even telling me to lower my stem para mas racy pa ang position ko - but still figuring out my optimal riding position.

There are really no shortcuts: you have to go out and ride a lot in order to feel for yourself what geometry works best for you. The closest thing you can get to that shortcut is getting a bike fitting.

Good luck and ride safe.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Bike Commuter

ACMI

im a bit confused...according to trek site...on the S size....6 series has a slightly shorter e.t.t. than the 4.

but then again....the 6 series has 2 Medium sizes .....so if u are size M..u have two choices....is that right?

because in size small 4 series is 16"...while on the 6 series...actual S size is 15.5".....and as i said 2 choices of M sizes....anyway the more the merrier....

pero all in all...u hit some of my questions right on the head of the nail.....im still a bit confused but its lesser now....

ty and more questions to come as im pretty anal with bikes and bike technology
Old 10-23-2009, 07:06 AM
Bike Fanatic

JonsJ: Thanks.

XXX: Quick response lang: I think you're confusing the seat tube height with the top tube, or more accurately the effective top tube. You should look at that dimension, not just the size. Size refers to seat tube height and its a very generalized method of sizing used by most manufacturers. It is a starting point for bike fitting but you should always look at two sizes suggested for your height. Example if you're 5'10" like me you should look at large and medium frames in general basing on the seat tube, but there are other things you should consider. I got the 18.5 and it feels close to perfect right now - fine tuning na lang. That's what I love about Trek - more size options - kase the 17.5 feels short and the 19.5 feels too long so "voila!", I got the 18.5. But my basis was not just the seat tube. Why don't you print out the geometry pages of both models you like? You will see what I mean. Effective top tube is the key, as well as standover height for me. They make or break my decision. Head angle and seat angle come second.

Tip: If you don't have somebody around to get help from: may I know your height and inseam? Maybe I can make a suggestion based on that. Try ko lang.

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Downhiller

Mga Bro,
Anybody who already bought & can confirm the availabilty of the BB in order to install XT crank to Trek 8500 frame? Which LBS & how much? Last month when I was in Cartimar, Paulina, Fit-pro, & T & R said di available & they all expect this month October meron na.

TIA
Old 11-09-2009, 04:20 PM

i also own a trek 8500 frame and i plan to install an fsa k force light crankset. ive been checking their website but it does not mention of any press fit bb, only bb30. is it the same as press fit?

btw, as of this afternoon, available na sa cartimar yung press fit bb for shimano pero limited stocks
Old 11-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Bike Fanatic

Medyo bobo ako sa bottom bracket lingo and specifications, but I'm using a Token Ceramic bottom bracket on my 8500 right now and so far so good.
Links

Tags
8500, fit, outboard, press, trek, trek mtb