PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > All about Frame and Suspensions

Notices

All about Frame and Suspensions Discuss tech help/info for: Hardtail and Full Suspension Frame
Fork, Shocks, Saddle Shocks.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 06-02-2009, 02:16 PM
All-Mountain

Default Re: Need help for trek mod..

When the time comes to upgrade your wheelset, what I would do first is to remove the wheelset from your bike then remove the cogs and brake rotors, dismount the tires and inner tubes.

Now weigh the wheelset as well as the other parts you've just removed. Now list down the weights of the wheelset and components so you have a baseline figure of your current wheelset's weight. Then you can start shopping around for the lightest components you can find to suit your budget, using your list of weights as reference.

The average XC wheelset (front and rear) which costs about P5k probably weighs around 2.2kg (rims, spokes, hubs, no skewers). You should be able to build a set that weighs about 1.75kg for about P10K. Plus another P2K for lighter tires and tubes should save you another 0.5kg. Total weight savings should be about 1kg, I can't think of a better place to remove 1kg than the wheelset.

You could also shave some more weight by getting lighter cogs and brake rotors, but these two aren't as important as the other items mentioned above.

Possible set up for P9K wheelset that weighs about 1.75kg is Shimano XT hubs (540 grams) + DT Swiss Revo spokes (300 grams) + Mavic 223 rims (880 grams). Stretch your budget a bit and get rims that weigh about 800 grams a pair and you'll have a wheelset thats about 1.65kg.

For tires Kenda SB8 26" x 1.95" weighs about 465 grams each and Giant inner tubes about 130 grams each.

Of course you don't have to do the upgrade in one go, you could do the tires and tubes first, then the rims, then the spokes and hubs. You could sell your old wheelset to recoup some of the cost of your upgrade.
Links
Old 06-03-2009, 12:03 PM

thanks amgmercedes for the quick response to my post... appreciate your suggestions! i listed down the specs you mentioned so i can compare prices between lbs and cartimar shops. thanks again... ride safe! :thumbsup:
Old 06-03-2009, 01:26 PM

I also have a '09 Trek 4300 Disc and the suggestions posted are very helpful. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:10 AM

Default Trek remedy

I'm currently trying to get back into cycling after stopping for about a decade. I'm trying to find a store within metro manila that sells the trek remedy as a built bike. thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:01 PM
All-Mountain

Default Re: looking for a store that sells trek remedy

Trek Dealers are Extreme in Panay, Life Cycle in greenhills and ROX in the fort. There maybe others but that's what I can recall.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:06 AM

thanks kikoreta, I'll try to call them up. I hope they have this bike in stock. I'm really excited to ride again. I just want to make the right choice this time. Unlike before when I bought a cheap bike and then ended up replacing every single part. thanks again.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikoreta View Post
Trek Dealers are Extreme in Panay, Life Cycle in greenhills and ROX in the fort. There maybe others but that's what I can recall.
Hi Kikoreta,

Do you have contact info of these dealers? Thanks so much.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Suspended

Default Re: Trek remedy

Hi Aoki!:waving: Congrats on your choice: to get back into biking!:thumbsup:

Congrats also on your choice of bike: the Trek Remedy.:thumbsup:
This bike is aimed at the All-Mountain segment. A bike which can do almost everything. If you can afford the Remedy 9, go for it. Trek claims that the top model is under 30 pounds. Wow, that's light! Considering that you get big travel, a big fork, wide wheels/fat tires and a solidly-built mountain bike. This bike would certainly be able to catch up with you as your riding progresses. Just don't expect to win races on it though.:)

@Edgie39,
Check the bike shops listing for their contact numbers. Here's the link: http://www.pinoymtbiker.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63
Old 07-16-2009, 05:01 AM

Default Re: Trek remedy

thanks titaniumgearsolid, I'll try to call them up. I was surprised when I dropped by a LBS recently, the technology today is very impressive, especially today's suspension systems. I can still remember when the rockshock judy paired to a gt rts was considered high tech.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:45 PM

Default Opinion on 2009 Trek 6000

Hi mtbkers!

I'm planning to get my 1st xc bike and I'm looking into this trek 6000. I saw it in a lbs near my place selling price is 34K but they could give it for 30K.

I just wanted to get the opinions of our so so so friendly and helpful mtbkers here:)

here's the specs of the bike:

Frame red white Aluminum w/externally relieved head tube, hydroformed bi-axial down tube and top tube, monostay seatstays, forged disc ready dropouts

Front Suspension RockShox Dart 3 w/preload, lockout, alloy steerer, 100mm

Wheels
Wheels Shimano M475 disc hubs; Bontrager Ranger, 32-hole rims w/eyelets

Tires Bontrager Jones XR, 26x2.2/2.25"; 52/54/27tpi

Drivetrain
Shifters SRAM X-5, 9 speed
Front Derailleur SRAM X-5
Rear Derailleur SRAM X-5
Crank Shimano M442 Octalink 44/32/22
Cassette SRAM PG950 11-34, 9 speed
Pedals Alloy platform

Components
Saddle Bontrager Race Basic
Seat Post Bontrager SSR, 20mm offset
Handlebars Bontrager SSR Riser, 25mm rise, 25.4mm, 620mm width
Stem Bontrager SSR, 10 degree, 25.4mm
Headset VP-A76C-TK, 1 1/8" semi-cartridge, sealed
Brakeset Avid BB-5, mechanical disc w/alloy levers [IMG]

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain_hardtail/6_series/6000/[/IMG]
Links
Old 08-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: 2009 Trek 6000

ayos yan ah..
although marami ako nababasa na bad comments about sa dart3
mas ok pa daw tora xc..

im still looking for my 1st bike..
i wanted a built bike na rin kso i nauwi ako sa build my own bike

wait natin mga experts kumilatis ng bike mo..newbie pa ako e:laugh1:
Old 08-19-2009, 05:52 PM
All-Mountain

A friend of mine has a Trek 6000. I've never ridden it so I can't comment on it's performance.

But he seems pretty happy with the bike and it does look nice. I've ridden with him on numerous occasions including atleast 4 Maarat trail rides, 2 rides up the Wall, 1 La Mesa Eco Park ride plus a few road rides and I've never heard him complain about the bike. No breakdowns or damaged parts either.

His is all stock except for a white Truvative AKA stem and a white handlebar, looks pretty good with the bike's red and white theme.

If the Dart 3 is no good you can always upgrade to a white Epicon or maybe one of the nice mid-end air sprung Rock Shox models, in white of course.

A red and white SID or a white Fox would look great with the Trek 6000. But with the SID and air sprung Fox forks costing northwards of 25K it may not make much sense installing them on a 30K bike.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:03 PM

Cool!

With your friend's experience with the trek 6000 sounds good enough for an entry level xc.

yeah if the fork is not good then I'll probably won't feel it at first:)

I can't wait to get this bike.

well I'm still looking around for a better entry level xc, with the same budget I'm still considering assembling bike but it will just put me in anxiety :laugh1:
Old 08-25-2009, 05:44 PM

Sir tanong naman po... anong store nag bebenta nito for 30k???
Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Opinion on 2009 Trek 6000

I saw it in cartimar although I could not remember the name of the shop first time lng kc nakapunta dun :)
Old 08-26-2009, 10:49 PM

Hello Fapveg!
I sold my 2nd bike, trek 6000 08 model (medium 17.5) to a friend who wants to start biking again (he use to be riding bmx 80's in La trinidad benguet). I love it so much but had to let go just for a friend and wanting him to start and see the beauty of mountain biking. I did some upgrades for the ride to be sweet, 1st was the seat, it has too hard for my bottom. Second which made a very marked improvement in handling was a shorter stem (80mm) with 31.8 mm handlebars and third was the pedals. With regards to the Dart 3, I never changed it even if I have a 100mm Reba fork just lying around. The dart 3 did its job, it has lock out for uphills and to my surprise it works well in our technical trails here in Maryland. To compare it with my FS 09 trek ex9 the only difference is the obvious, its more harsh and less forgiving in rough terain, everything else its at par. This bike will be a good start and even way pass entry level xc for me. As for the friend in new jersey, he loves it!
Old 08-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Hi ilmtb18,

This bike seems tough enough added points for trek 6000:)

tnx
Old 08-27-2009, 05:41 PM

Thanks fapveg. I'll check out the shops in cartimar. Hope they still have it.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:36 AM

We went to cartimar yesterday. I saw the bike, my size wasnt available. Got a Marin Alpine Trail 29er instead. My friend got the Trek 6000 in Greenhills though, 35K.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:11 AM

Default trek 4400 series

what can you say about the components of this bike below? which category does it belong? low, mid, high end? which are good/bad parts?

4400 trek 4series
shimano FH-RM65; HB-RM65
RD shimano deore
FD shimano altus
wheels bontrager jones acx
rims bontrager ranger series 6000
seatpost bontrager ssr
saddle bontrager
fork RST gila 100mm lockout
post/handlebar bontrager ssr
gear switch?? alivio (hydro)
pedals wellgo
discs di ko alam brand

received as a gift, newbie sa biking. i'd like to know para kasi nanghihinayang ako sa binayad kung mamahalin siya, gusto ko sana ipalit sa mas mura kung sakali.
Links

Tags
8500, fit, outboard, press, trek, trek mtb