PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions

Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions For newbies who wanted to ask any info on mountainbiking stuff.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines

Old 09-14-2009, 12:19 AM

Default Bike shop sold me wrong-sized frame

Hi guys,

I bought a 09 Giant Anthem X2 from Cartimar just about a month ago. I am 5"10" 200lbs and the bike shop sold me a small sized frame. I just found out tonight that I should be on a medium sized bike instead of the small that I have now and it was a case of the shop just wanting to sell me a bike even if it didn't fit me well.

Would it be appropriate for me to complain and request for an exchange from the bike shop for just giving me an improperly sized bike or is it a hopeless case to be blamed for the innocence/ignorance of a first-time buyer?

Would love to hear from you guys, thanks in advance

Old 09-14-2009, 01:04 AM
All-Mountain

Default Re: Bike Fit Problem

They definitely should not have sold you a small sized Anthem X2, a 16" frame is no doubt too small for someone who's 5'10". I'm assuming that you told them this bike was for you and you asked for their advice as to whether it will fit you or not. They might have thought you were buying it for someone else.

Unfortunately I don't think they will take the bike back specially if you've used it already. But you can sure give it a try, talk to them and see what they have to say.

If they don't take it back, try selling the frame and just buy one that's your size. I've seen about 2 people here in PMTB selling medium sized Anthem X2 frames in the past few months.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:07 AM

If its from Paulinas or Ross they would accept it back. Palitan mo nalang bigger. 17" or 18" is the best fit for you. Basta sure na di mo nagamit ang frame scratch free dapat.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:02 AM
Single-Speeder

There's no harm if you'd give it a try! You should get an 18" or 19" frame size. I'm 5' 11" and mine is 19". Good luck!

Old 09-14-2009, 08:10 AM
Bike Fanatic

You have to bite the bullet and try an exchange. Since it's partly your fault because you should have done a little research before buying. A good retailer however should have told you the size that's best - assuming that you told them it was for you as amgmercedes said. You really can't blame them if they won't take it back - ganun sa Pinas eh. An 18 would be best. We're the same height - I tried straddling a size 20 anthem and bumabangga na sa balls ko ang top tube. Standover clearance would not be adequate - especially if you put on big knobby tires.
Good luck sa exchange. Pa update na lang kung ano nangyari.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:22 AM
Downhiller

i agree with what had been previuosly posted, kung paulinas & ross yan, welcome to return for an exchange, parehas pa rin naman ng price un eh... as long as scratch free ang frame

since 5'10" ka, am 5'11.5", size 18.5" (GT) ang current na gamit ko, you'll do fine sa 18" lang bro... i opted not to use 19" para may clearance pa ko to dismount easily...

pero IMHO, i doubt that you buy the bike at the 2 store, magtatanong kasi iyon sino ang intended na gagamit at they know what best fit for you pag sinabi mong ikaw... not unless un talaga ang choice mo because of the cosmetic appearance, nde na sila papalag dun (laws on selling, customer is always right... )

give it a try bro, as what other had posted here...

Old 09-14-2009, 09:17 AM
All-Mountain

Try the swapping corner

Old 09-14-2009, 09:26 AM

####, I've been had! It was clear to them that I was the one who was going to ride the bike. I even asked assurance from them if it was the right size for me and clearly stated that I was a first time buyer. The store was fit pro. Will try talking to them today, thanks for all the help guys

Old 09-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Freeride

Such an irony. "Fit Pro" sold a bike that doesn't fit you.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Downhiller

if may mga gasgas na, charge to experience na lang -- sell it and buy a new frame.

and yes it always helps to do some research first.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Downhiller

Default Re: Help: Bike shop sold me wrong-sized frame

a store down south did that to me as well.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:46 AM
All-Mountain

Am not surprised, that same store tried to sell me old models (05 and 06) and tried to pass it as 09 model, good thing for the internet, I was able to check the specs.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:41 PM
All-Mountain

The general rule in sales is "caveat emptor" or buyer beware. So you should have done a bit of research first before buying the frame.

But since you didn't and you relied on their advice, the next thing to consider is did they decieve or trick you into buying the frame. Note that the intention of the seller in this cas is to make a quick sale only and to do that, they had to resort to deceit to sell it to you (i.e. telling you that the right size frame for you is "small" which is not correct because you should have gotten at least a medium sized frame.)

If they did use deceit, you can first try to return the frame to them and ask for a replacement. But considering that you bought it a month ago pa, and it's not as if the size of the frame was concealed, it might be difficult to convince them to get it back and replace it with a medium size. Normally, stores have a seven day return policy. In your case, lampas ka na.

Worst case scenario, you can file a complaint before the DTI to cite the store for bad business practices so using deceit to sell you a frame of the wrong size. To be successful in the complaint, you must be able to prove that they used high handed tactics or pressure selling techniques to sell you the frame. think AOWA style. he he he! (I hope walang taga AOWA na makabasa nito. Or better yet, sana may makabasa na taga AOWA nito para itigil na nila ang bad business practice na ito)

In the end, if nothing works, you can just charge it to experience, give the frame to your wife or gf, or swap or sell it.

My two cent's worth.

HTH

Last edited by reddragon; 09-14-2009 at 12:42 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-14-2009, 12:48 PM
All-Mountain

Medyo malabo nga kausap yung mga taga Fit Pro. I'm pretty sure Ross or Paulina's would not have sold you a small sized bike. If ever they did you would have a better chance of getting the bike exchanged for a medium one with them than with Fit Pro.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:43 PM

Crying Re: Help: Bike shop sold me wrong-sized frame

Any news bro (Barugboog)..?

Like they have said, if they know, and your asking for the best fit for you, then its not your sole responsibility.. on the other hand, it could happen that the person you have talked is not not familiar.. or just wanted to have sales..

its going to be a pricey experienced, hopefully you've got good news for us..

sometimes money doesn't matter, but the experienced and feelings that you encountered matters most.. un ang nkkainis!! wala na un satisfaction!! and excitement.!!

Links
Old 09-14-2009, 02:19 PM
All-Mountain

Having them replace it to a bigger size, IMHO, would be very difficult, since I am also presuming they didn't have a medium or large size to begin with, that is why they sold you a small frame. When a guy 5'10 and 200 lbs stands in front of you, size small is the last thing in your mind

To not make you feel bad, there are options you can do to make the bike fit better (not perfect), like a set-back seatpost, longer stem and etc. Just ride it till the time comes you want to upgrade, then sell it and charge the loss to experience. Remember its still better to be in a smaller frame than a larger frame for your size.

By the way, if you are in the same store and the shop is trying to pull a fast one on a newbie in front of your eyes, should you find a way to tell the newbie that the shop is folling them or should you just mind your own business.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:54 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys!

The store was willing to swap the S sized Anthem for a M one without any questions. But I decided to give it to my brother instead as a birthday gift (he's getting into biking also, nahawa na ) instead of exchanging it. Medyo may sentimental value na kasi first bike ko na binili in my life and my own dough. Aantayin ko na lang yung '10 na Giants.. Sa October na raw lalabas. Bad trip lang kasi wala na akong magagamit na bike until then.

Ay, I forgot to tell na I also bought my girlfriend a 2009 Giant Yukon Disc along with the Anthem from Fit Pro as well and it was also REALLY undersized. She's 5"8" and they gave her a size 13 bike!! We gave it back and they didn't have any quams with exchanging it. We traded it in for a Mongoose Otero and just added some cash. When we tested it there it was fine. Limited pagka test namin since wala masyado maikutan sa Cartimar at puro cemento pa. Pag test na sa park may mga pumipitik na tunog from the bike I don't know where it's coming from, but it sounds bad talaga. So babalik nanaman ako dun tomorrow for another exchange!

I really discourage purchasing from this store. Yes, they are very nice and accommodating, gaganahan ka talaga bumili lalo na if you're a first time buyer and have little knowledge. Pero based on my experience gusto lang talaga nila maka benta. I thought I did enough research na pero kung baguhan ka pala talaga ma ooverwhelm ka sa mga things na dapat I-consider so may mga sablay talaga.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:07 PM
All-Mountain

Good to hear that you resolved the problem favorably (at least for your brother) he he he! Suwerte ng brother mo at mabait ka sa kaniya.

Ingat na lang sa mga magagaling mag sales talk. And remember the lessons you learned from this experience and share it with your friends para di sila ma enganyo bumili just because of the silver tongues of the sellers.

Believe me, kahit di ka na newbie, matetempt ka pa din bumili pag may bagong stuff at magaling magbenta ang kausap mo.

Research helps so keep on reading na lang sa mga threads dito.

Good luck sa next purchase mo. Lapit na naman ang October eh. Try mo na lang sa Ross or sa King's or sa Cycle Art, Sabak or BTC. Mas okay sila kausap.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:06 AM

If a bike shop (or any other business) is willing to screw their customers and hope to get away with it, then they do not deserve our hard earned money. There are too many businesses that are very short sighted and willing to make a quick buck over long-term customer loyalty, they do not deserve to stay in business long. Money talks... take your business elsewhere and tell everyone you know. There's lots of competition.

As a capitalist, I believe businesses should make a profit. I'm a small business owner myself and I value repeat business too much to take advantage of customers for a quick one time profit. Keep the good shops in business and let the bad ones disappear.

IMO... Caveat emptor is one thing, misrepresenting the facts is another issue. He relied on the experts at the shop, and the experts decided to lie in order to make a quick sale. If he had purchased the bike from some shady looking character in a dark alley who said "I'll sell you this 50K bike for 5K and you even get a full factory warranty," then there's a lack of common sense. The buyer can't expect a replacement when the frame breaks two weeks later.

This is an established shop and one should expect a bit more professionalism. Post a review in the Bike Shops section and attach a link to this thread. If anyone reads the poor review along with this thread and decides a price for a bike too good to pass up, then it becomes a "buyer beware" issue.

Luckily, it worked out for you. Here's my quote for the day... "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Let's just say I don't give businesses a second chance, as a general rule.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Lurker

A friend of mine bought also an 18 inch bike, he is 5'6" in height. though tama lang sa kanya. Hindi naman daw sayad BA__s nya. Parang nakapatong lang. would it show problems with his ride or the riding position nya? thanks.

Links