PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > All About DriveTrain

Notices

All About DriveTrain Discuss tech help/info on: Rear/Front Deraileur, Cranks
Bottom Bracket, Chains, Sprockets and Shifters.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 07-19-2008, 01:12 AM

Default Cable stretch or Shifter Problem?

I was riding this afternoon when I noticed that my RD wasn't shifting properly. Started with minor ghost shift where the chain would try to jump up a gear but go back immediately. After a few km I noticed that it would start to shift 2 gears instead of 1. On my last leg towards my house I switched to the smallest sprocket for the down hill section to pick up momentum for the last climb. During the climb I released tension on the cranks to shift to lighter gears but nothing happened. The RD wasn't moving and the shifter was very soft (no give). Good thing I was already near the house and just pushed the bike all the way. When I checked to see what the problem was, I noticed that the cable was very loose. From the 9th position in the shifter the RD would only move up after 4 clicks. I've been using the same cables since Feb so I would assume that the it has been stretched already. I also checked if the cable came loose at the RD side but it was still securely fastened. Could this be a shifter problem or is it possible for the cable to stretch that long in just one ride?

I was able to tune the RD already by readjusting the cable and every thing seems fine. I haven't ridden it though. Any thoughts on this?
Links
Old 07-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Downhiller

Default Re: Cable stretch or Shifter Porblem?

Louis,

The most probable cause is cable housing compression. It's normal for the housing to compress during the first few rides (unless you are using a no-compression aluminium housing i.e. NOKON or SRP). You can adjust the slack of your cable thru the barrel adjuster of your shifters and you're done. Happy shifting. :)

Last edited by Bee; 07-19-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:44 AM

I also have a question, is it ok if I post it here? here it is. I was riding this morning on an uphill climb and I'm shifting gears lower gradually. When I shifted to the biggest (lowest gear) cog, while using the middle chain ring, the chain jumped in between the cogs and the spokes. This is the 2nd time this thing happened to me. The first time was while climbing in antipolo. A real pain :sigh: What do you guys suggest I'd do? I'm using x.7 sram RD, dura ace chain and xt cog set. Thanks
Old 07-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggz View Post
I also have a question, is it ok if I post it here? here it is. I was riding this morning on an uphill climb and I'm shifting gears lower gradually. When I shifted to the biggest (lowest gear) cog, while using the middle chain ring, the chain jumped in between the cogs and the spokes. This is the 2nd time this thing happened to me. The first time was while climbing in antipolo. A real pain :sigh: What do you guys suggest I'd do? I'm using x.7 sram RD, dura ace chain and xt cog set. Thanks

Riggz,

Try to adjust the limiting screws (marked with H and L) of your rear derailleur. You need to adjust the L screw to stop the movement of your derailleur inwards hence stopping your chain from jumping beyond the largest cog. :)
Old 07-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Downhiller

First I want to know if you have rapid rise or not. As Bee said cable compression, but if it is low normal, better check your derrailleur hanger. If it's bent inward, the chain will drop and will be wedged in between the spokes and cassette.

Last edited by Enzo; 07-19-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Bike Commuter

since you're using the same cable since feb. probably the problem is in the housing. Are you using an SIS(spiral type) housing? i've seen a problem with that kind of housing, the spiral inside of the housing is loose and it gets inside of the shifter, try to check the housing going to shifter..... better to use an SIS SP(stranded type) of housing.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:45 AM

I'm using Jagwire housing, not sure if this a compression type of housing :thinking:. I will check the shifter side just to be sure. Thanks for the info. I did the barrel adjustment first and it started to shift almost normally. While i was doing this, the screw came of the shifter already. I decided to tighten the screw again to get the slack on the cables and just readjusted the cable on the RD side. I'll have to wait till Monday for my trusted mechanic to check on it. :sigh:
Old 09-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Lurker

I had the same dilemma. When I returned to biking a weeks back (after more than a year's rest), I had trouble in shifting the RD to higher gears. However, this was intermittent.

I had the cables replaced as I earlier thought that dust/rust must have accumulated. No luck.

I was intent on replacing the RD and was eyeing/drooling on a new XT. However, my trusty mechanic opted to open the shifter (Shimano Deore LX) and cleaned it up thoroughly. It Worked ! Downside, I was stuck with my old RD, oh well.. hehe....
Old 12-12-2011, 05:12 PM

Default Shifter Problem

Hi Guyz,
Last weekend I tried to tune my rear derailleur, and having a hard time to do it, even though I already corrected my low and high limits as well as the B extension. The chain are shifting perfectly from 1st (smallest cog) to 6th, but having trouble on shifting from 6th to 7th cog, and will shift perfectly again from 7 to 8, 8 to 9, and 9 to 10. Last week I noticed that the shifter knob is hard to press (the knob that will trigger the shifting from small to big cog). I observed carefully how my rear derailleur move while I’m pressing the shifter and found out that the rear derailleur doesn’t move inward when pressing the knob (shifting from 6 to 7). I’m sure that the problem is not in my rear derailleur. My drive train is 2 months old Deore 2012, do you think that my problem is in the shifter unit, cable or housing? And do you know which Mechanic from Bulacan should I look to (I’m from Bulacan, Bulacan). Please enlighten me.
Thanks!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Shifter Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Paul View Post
Hi Guyz,
Last weekend I tried to tune my rear derailleur, and having a hard time to do it, even though I already corrected my low and high limits as well as the B extension. The chain are shifting perfectly from 1st (smallest cog) to 6th, but having trouble on shifting from 6th to 7th cog, and will shift perfectly again from 7 to 8, 8 to 9, and 9 to 10. Last week I noticed that the shifter knob is hard to press (the knob that will trigger the shifting from small to big cog). I observed carefully how my rear derailleur move while I’m pressing the shifter and found out that the rear derailleur doesn’t move inward when pressing the knob (shifting from 6 to 7). I’m sure that the problem is not in my rear derailleur. My drive train is 2 months old Deore 2012, do you think that my problem is in the shifter unit, cable or housing? And do you know which Mechanic from Bulacan should I look to (I’m from Bulacan, Bulacan). Please enlighten me.
Thanks!
Hi Papa Paul! your shifter cable's tension is to loose. You need to tighten that a little bit, but if it's too tight (just a hair space) it won't go to the smaller disc easily. So, it has to be a perfect one.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:43 PM

I would suggest that you inspect the shifter cable... any trusted Lbs mechanic can do the tuning of your bike.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Freeride

shfter cable nga po un malamang. baka lumusot sa cable stopper ung panloob ng housing.gnun nangyayari pag plastic or malaki butas ng stopper.. taga bulacan kayo sir? bocaue lang po ako.. malapit na lbs sa inyo kay vangie sa crossing ng cruz. kung gusto nyo po pm nyo number nyo para mtignan ntn prblema ng bike nyo.. :)
Old 12-12-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamol51 View Post
I would suggest that you inspect the shifter cable... any trusted Lbs mechanic can do the tuning of your bike.
Before I noticed the change in feel of my shifter, I was riding and caught by the rain by 1 hours. I think it also contributed in decrease of smoothness of my shifter. I removed the cable in the derailleur and move the cable forward and backward, and I heard/feel that there's something like small sand rubbing ni my cable and housing.
Links