PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > Brake System

Notices

Brake System Discuss tech help/info for: Hydraulics/Cables Disc Brakes System
Calipers, Rotors, Brake Lever and others related to Brake System.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 07-24-2009, 04:22 PM

Default Brake pads question

What are organic brake pads? How are they diferrent with conventional ones? Ive seen some rotors with the note: "Use only organic brake pads".
Links
Old 07-24-2009, 04:40 PM
All-Mountain

Default Re: Brake pads question

I think this is the non-metallic pads..like the resin pads of shimano..

these kind of pads create less noise than those metallic ones..
Old 12-14-2009, 11:28 PM

Default Replacement Disc Brake Pads

Aside from shimano, what brand of replacement brake pads (disc brakes) can you recommend in terms of quality and price? Bang for the buck?! My current rig is using non-series shimano mech. disc brakes... medyo upod na kaya after a year kaya kailangan ng palitan. Don't want to try rebonding dahil delikado daw kaya replace na lang yung pads.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:27 AM
Cross-country

Default Re: Replacement Disc Brake Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuellig View Post
Aside from shimano, what brand of replacement brake pads (disc brakes) can you recommend in terms of quality and price? Bang for the buck?! My current rig is using non-series shimano mech. disc brakes... medyo upod na kaya after a year kaya kailangan ng palitan. Don't want to try rebonding dahil delikado daw kaya replace na lang yung pads.
sir just try ashima pads.. mura na hindi pa masakit sa bulsa (cost around 400).. but also try the jagwire pads.. they says yung gold color type ung heavy duty (cost around 700-800).
Old 12-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Downhiller

Sirs, are there replacement pads for the shimano non-series hydros? I've tried to ask for it on some LBS that I've visited to no avail. I'm wanting a semi-metallic for my non-series to make it last longer. :D
Old 12-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Bike Commuter

any idea on how much yung XT pads? TIA
Old 12-17-2009, 06:02 PM

Dont use replacement pads, bro. Your life depends on it. Only a shimano can replace a shimano. The others fall off after a few months or even weeks of use.

Recently bought XT pads at John Wilkie for P 550.00.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Bike Fanatic

I recently changed my SLX rotors to Ashima Airotors since I also upgraded my hubs. I did my usual burn in/setting in session and it seemed to brake well on my ride today. One of my riding companions mentioned that it's better to start with new brake pads from the get-go. I'm still using my organic pads since they seem to be holding up well and it seems like a waste to throw them away. I have semi metallic pads as standby but I'm not using them yet. Any feedback on this? Should I use the new ones already or wait until my old ones wear out. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:00 PM
All-Mountain

Ashima Disc Brake Pads, P500 at JBL. Still good at more than 2,000 km. :thumbsup:
Old 01-01-2010, 09:29 AM
All-Mountain

I've tried Jagwire and EBC. They're both good alternative parts that won't disappoint. If you can find Goodridge ones, I hear they're really good but a bit pricey.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Bike Commuter

Question Re: Replacement Disc Brake Pads

im using BR-M416 mechanical brakes and i found out its an acera.

i bought a shimano brake pad today at paulinas and at the back of the pads packaging i didnt see my BR-M416, what i saw is BR-M525, BR-M475, BR-M465, BR-C501, BR-M515/ BR-M495, BR-C601. and it sez M08 resin pad.

QUESTION: should i use this pads even i didnt saw the product no. of my mechanical brakes?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Downhiller

I have jagwire reds on front, ashima on rear, on my XT Hydros. No complaints, performs like orig shimanos.

just don't buy serfas pads they are notorious for poor performance and very unreliable.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Downhiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by junpakaplog View Post
im using BR-M416 mechanical brakes and i found out its an acera.

i bought a shimano brake pad today at paulinas and at the back of the pads packaging i didnt see my BR-M416, what i saw is BR-M525, BR-M475, BR-M465, BR-C501, BR-M515/ BR-M495, BR-C601. and it sez M08 resin pad.

QUESTION: should i use this pads even i didnt saw the product no. of my mechanical brakes?
As long as it snugly fits, sir, you won't have a problem. :D
Old 01-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Bike Commuter

copy sir daimler, i've been waiting for replies bgo ko isalpak ung pads e just to make sure
Old 01-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Downhiller

Quote:
copy sir daimler, i've been waiting for replies bgo ko isalpak ung pads e just to make sure
'Tis my pleasure, sir... :D

Enjoy...

Ride safe... :D
Old 01-15-2010, 02:17 AM
Bike Commuter

sir daimler may tanong po ako, ang rotor ko sa harap e 8" front at 7"rear hndi kaya malakas kumain ng pads ung rotor ko? shimano non series po ito at center lock
Old 01-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Downhiller

Quote:
sir daimler may tanong po ako, ang rotor ko sa harap e 8" front at 7"rear hndi kaya malakas kumain ng pads ung rotor ko? shimano non series po ito at center lock
Sir, the bigger the rotor, the better your brakes can slow down your bike with greater ease. It's because as the pistons gets further aways from your wheel's center of rotation, mas efficient yung pag-ipit nya sa rotor. Consider stopping a closing door near the hinges and stopping it na malapit sa door knobs... You'll find out na mas konting effort lang ang kelangan mo to stop the door from closing pag dun ka sa door know hahawak kesa dun sa malapit sa hinges.

That being the case, your rotor will be spared of extended contact with your brake pads, thus extending your brake pad's life. :D

Sir, plan ko din ng 7" on the front and rear... Pero saka na pag may budget na. I'm using the Shimano Non-series din. :D
Old 01-16-2010, 01:12 AM
Cross-country

Question Re: Replacement Disc Brake Pads

puede ba sa hayes stroker yung ashima and jagwire brake pads?
Old 01-16-2010, 06:38 AM
Bike Fanatic

I don't think there should be a problem as long as they fit. Just take out your old pads and make sure the ones you buy are the same shape. Anyway there is usually an indication on the packaging whether it's "for avid" or "for XT XTR" or "for Hayes". Of course feedback regarding performance and durability should be looked into. What is also important is what type of material do you need: Resin, semi-metallic, or metallic. Each has it's own pros and cons.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Cross-country

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMI View Post
I don't think there should be a problem as long as they fit. Just take out your old pads and make sure the ones you buy are the same shape. Anyway there is usually an indication on the packaging whether it's "for avid" or "for XT XTR" or "for Hayes". Of course feedback regarding performance and durability should be looked into. What is also important is what type of material do you need: Resin, semi-metallic, or metallic. Each has it's own pros and cons.
thanks for your reply. hope you could elaborate more on the resin, semi metallic and metallic type? not familiar with that. TIA
Links