PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Home Trails > Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions

Newbie's Frequently Asked Questions For newbies who wanted to ask any info on mountainbiking stuff.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store MT Pro Bikes Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales G. C. Cyclist Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing IronBike.net MyNextBike.com Azione Sports ISOLINK Mtb Suspension System Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano Business Venture 888 - 12 O'Clock Bike Components Parts and Accessories.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Bike Commuter

Default MTB Below P10k in Cartimar for Newbies, Good or Bad?

I would like to go mountain biking (san mateo timbaland trail , eco trail ), but i'am not willing to spend more than the price of a cheap brand new net book for a mountain bike (im not sure if i will like the sport)

Went to Cartimar, typical specs for a cheap (P7,800) hard-tail mtb is as follows:

1. Frame is Alloy aluminum , (Jamis Brand daw ang frame)

2. Fork Suspension is spring-type (i dont know, pero for that price)

3. Shifter (i think its shimano, or a fake one, i dont know)

4. Derailer is Shimano Acera (dont know if fake, as the one attached is not shimano, but tindera will give me shimano acera for an additional P650).

5. Rims are Outlaw Brand

6. Brakes are disk-brake...cable-type (dont know the brand)

7. It looks pretty decent , jamis written on the bike frame, black in color ,(for an inexperienced newbie)

these are just some of the specs....

Question:

1. Is this MTB Good Or Bad?

As i said, im not sure if im willing to fork out more than say 30k on an entry-level bike , as im not sure if mtbikng will be a long-term sport hobby for me.

2. Will I get a good deal in Cartimar? Or Quiapo? Any LBS you can recommend and where?

3. Any buying tips for newbies?

4. If below 10k bikes are highly not recommended....how much and what brand/kind minimum bike requirements should an extremely FRUGAL/CHEAPSKATE newbie like myself buy?

Hope this thread useful to other newbies like myself

Thanks

Links
Old 07-01-2009, 10:21 PM
All-Mountain

Default Re: Poor Man's MTB Below P10k in Cartimar for Newbies, Good or Ba

When I first bought my bike last year, I asked a friend to help me. He recommended a frame and groupset.

I spent P23,000 but I realized later I could've spent less and gotten a better bike. Anyway, I was willing to spend that much because even though I was unsure, I was reasonably into the idea that I know I'll like it.

To your question, as a guideline. I was told that the minimum groupset you must have is a Shimano Deore. Fork is a SR Suntour XCR and a good frame, Vision Pursuit comes to mind. With these, you can have a highly reliable mountain bike requiring very little additional investments.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Freeride

started out with a merida K8, bought at paulinas around 2.5 yrs ago. i also didn't expect mountainbiking to be a long term sport for me, in fact i bought the bike for village use only. soon the upgrade bug hit me, upgraded one by one until i was able to build a gt bike, then i sold the merida. i ended up spending more, syempre palugi ang benta ng first bike + the cost of the other bike.

same as boon, i would suggest that you shell out a bit more... get at least a deore groupset just in case you end up liking the sport, you won't have to upgrade (i'm assuming of course that you will be bitten by the upgrade bug, since almost everybody gets bitten)... and if ever you get tired of the sport, it's easier to sell a bike with decent componentry.

i think the bike will come out cheaper at quiapo, kaya lang hassle parking traffic etc. cartimar is the next best option. daming store pagpipilian, but personally i would recommend paulinas, tnr and ross

Old 07-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Bike Commuter

boon

thanks

so i shud'nt spend more than 23k on a decent mountain bike....

so the ESSENTIAL parts that i only have to worry about are the derailer (deore level)... suspension fork (suntour) ....a the bike frame should be alloy aluminum

What about the shimano tourney or the acera... the cheaper-end shimano derailer...are they any good? Spelling palang ng Deore expensive na ...

thanks again

Old 07-02-2009, 02:01 AM

Just get a built bike from a reputable LBS so you don't have to worry about fake parts.

Check out the Jamis Trail X3 at Ross if they still have it. Reg price is 18K. It was on promo a couple of months back and the price was lower.

Same specs as those in the website, except for the brakes (loca uses Bengal).

Old 07-02-2009, 02:01 AM
All-Mountain

deore groupset is too high for a newbie. I'm using alivio gruppo for 7.5k petot within the last 5 months and still working.

I would suggest go get acera / alivio set if you're not too sure about the sport. But I'm warning you if you get hook to this kind of hobby you might spend upto 100k. thats when upgraditis hits you!

Old 07-02-2009, 02:04 AM
Bike Commuter

aaronchicharon

so its cheaper in quiapo? do they have more stores / more choices than in cartimar?

Question : Why should i get a Deore groupset when i can buy the cheaper shimano tourney or acera? And what compose a groupset? You mean the front and rear derailers...?

Why upgrade? Is it for the added comfort? What parts should i invest in to make my bike real comfortable and smooth to ride on?

how much is the merida k8? how much yun....any way thanks for the "must have" infos you provided.

btw: madami ba newbie na-addict sa mtbiking....how wud u rate the sport from 1 - 10? thats the main issue for me coz im not sure if ill like the sport.

thanks and happy riding

So ur all saying i should forget about the P7,800 bike? what part or parts of the bike are most vulnerable to damage? yun bibigay sa san mateo or ecopark?

sorry still researching on mtb's...totally clueless with mtbikes.

i wudnt mind getting hooked on the mtb sport....better get hooked on bikes than on drugs..haha

So ur all saying i should forget about the P7,800 bike? what part or parts of the bike are most vulnerable to damage? yun bibigay sa san mateo or ecopark?

sorry still researching on mtb's...totally clueless with mtbikes.

i wudnt mind getting hooked on the mtb sport....better get hooked on bikes than on drugs..haha

Last edited by xxx; 07-02-2009 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Automerge, please use EDIT button to ADD/EDIT your recent post.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:40 AM
Freeride

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx View Post
I would like to go mountain biking (san mateo timbaland trail , eco trail ), but i'am not willing to spend more than the price of a cheap brand new net book for a mountain bike (im not sure if i will like the sport)

Went to Cartimar, typical specs for a cheap (P7,800) hard-tail mtb is as follows:

1. Frame is Alloy aluminum , (Jamis Brand daw ang frame)

2. Fork Suspension is spring-type (i dont know, pero for that price)

3. Shifter (i think its shimano, or a fake one, i dont know)

4. Derailer is Shimano Acera (dont know if fake, as the one attached is not shimano, but tindera will give me shimano acera for an additional P650).

5. Rims are Outlaw Brand

6. Brakes are disk-brake...cable-type (dont know the brand)

7. It looks pretty decent , jamis written on the bike frame, black in color ,(for an inexperienced newbie)

these are just some of the specs....

Question:

1. Is this MTB Good Or Bad?

As i said, im not sure if im willing to fork out more than say 30k on an entry-level bike , as im not sure if mtbikng will be a long-term sport hobby for me.

2. Will I get a good deal in Cartimar? Or Quiapo? Any LBS you can recommend and where?

3. Any buying tips for newbies?

4. If below 10k bikes are highly not recommended....how much and what brand/kind minimum bike requirements should an extremely FRUGAL/CHEAPSKATE newbie like myself buy?

Hope this thread useful to other newbies like myself

Thanks
There are things you shouldn't involve yourself with when trying out this sport (or any sport for that matter) like costs, technicalities, and personal dedication. "Frugal" and "cheapskate" doesn't really mesh harmoniously (in the long run) with the word "newbie" in the world of mountain biking. If you are going to love this sport, let me tell you, those words "frugal" and "cheapskate" would more or less be likely to be discarded with the "newbie" word.

Unless, you are planning to lurk and learn extensively through this forum WITHOUT trying themselves first hand, then you are in what they call "an overly expensive paperweight" dilemma, regardless whether it is a 7,800 or a 100,000 peso bicycle. If you can imagine, most of the bicycles in here past the price level of a decent (registered) scooter/underbone motorcycle and still I never heard of anyone complaining about their ridiculously high-priced parts; 25,000 pesos for a pair of "sentros/bohas" or hubs like them Industry 9's or Chris King's.

Try this glorious sport. Going "cheapskate"? I wouldn't be against them 7.8K bicycles but let me assure you:
- Jamis isn't the same as "Jamiz";
- A double-crown fork (where the fork's legs goes beyond the upper part of the headset) is NEVER implemented on an "properly designed" entry-level hard-tail cross-country bike;
- Not all that read Shimano is good.

I would highly recommend buying a reputable (and Internet research-able) entry-level built bike from Merida, Giant, Jamis, GT, Trek, etc. IF you couldn't get a hold of someone verse in this subtle and, more often than not, "very" expensive sport to help you start out.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:43 AM
Bike Commuter

15 to 20 thou will be good na consideing na newbie ka

kasi gagastos ka na din lng ng 7k petot for a build bike tapos pag nagtrail unti unti nalalagas mga parts mo eh di gastos na naman uli.tatabangan ka na kasi iisipin mo magastos pala tong hobby na to magjajogging na nga ako!

Old 07-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Cross-country

sir if you are in a tight budget there is a store in cartimar selling a jamis bike

jamis trailx1 for 11k (if you buy it in cash they will give you a discount)

here is the link http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...ilx1_spec.html

jamis x3 for 18k (less discount on cash purchase)

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...ilx3_spec.html

X1 is a V brake while X3 is mech disc brake

caution : iba yung jamiz sa jamis ...japeks yung ending in Z

sayang walang X2 yun sana ang bibilhin ko for my wife

Old 07-02-2009, 09:28 AM
All-Mountain

Why not check the built bike section. There are good deals from time to time

Old 07-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Freeride

bought the merida bike at around 8k... it came with acera and some suntour parts... i upgraded the parts coz it had a 7speed cog 11t-28t, i needed something with a bigger tooth range to be able to manage the uphells... the cogs were screw type so in order replace my cogs to 9 speed i had to replace my hubs, then had to replace my rd and acera brake/shifter combo to accomodate 9 speed... then i replaced the frame and fork so that i can use discbrakes... brakes, saddle (masakit sa pwet yung stock), cables, etc.

anyway long story short, it was like buying two bikes... if i hadn't been a "cheapskate" in the beginning i would probably have saved a few thousand bucks... it was also difficult to dispose of the merida bike since the components were low end, so i had to sell it at a low price.

paulinas has a good number of built bikes on display you might want to check it out, im pretty sure there's one on your price range.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:27 AM

hay.....same here...napabili din ako dyan sa cartimar....10k bike....pero ang dami ko ng pinalitan....parang frame na lang ang natitira at ung crankset...10k built bike plus 13k upgrade....23k na pala nagagastos ko...minsan naiisip ko na sana ung 25k built bike na lang binili ko agad...ehehehe...pero ok lang...masaya kasi kalikutin ang bike ko....

Old 07-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx View Post
...im not sure if mtbikng will be a long-term sport hobby for me...
Oh ho hoh! That's what you think before you experience mountain biking!

Anyway, it's your choice, sir, whether to start with a cheap bike or a decent mid-priced one.

I myself started out with one of dem "Mall Bikes" which I got from the company I was working for. Chris Sports had it on sale, and I get an employees discount, AND an option for monthly salary deduction. The cheapo P3,500 Pacific MTB became more "cheapo" from all the discounts. During that time (circa 2001/2002), P3k for me was already a lot of money, as I was just starting in the company. Fast forward 5 years later, I spent more than twice the original price of the bike to upgrade it. I could've bought a new bike but I just loved my trusty steed.

Cheap can sometimes mean "unreliable" or "less durable". But it can also mean "easy quitting". (Easy because of the low investment). But if you wanna get into something, don't mess your brain by thinking you might quit. Because if you get the cheapo bike, that cheapo bike might as well be the reason why you will be quitting. Get the descent entry-level MTB and see how deep the rabbit hole can go.

Besides, if ever you'll find yourself wanting more, you can still build a higher-priced bike and keep the old one as a beater or commuter.

Oh, btw, by "entry-level", let's assume it falls in the 15-20k vicinity.

See you soon at a nearby trail!

Old 07-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Downhiller

Poor man pala talaga ako...nasa ganung vicinity kasi price ng bike ko ngayon pero pwede sa trails....

IMHO, if youre a newbie sa sports, no matter how pricey/cheap your equipment is there a possibility na magkakaroon ng breakdown sa parts, I dont mean to generalize pero kasi pag hindi pa adept ang isang tao, sure magkakamali sa combi na gagamitin na usual suspect sa pag deteriorate ng drivetrains, etc.
Just ask the LBS kung tatagal ba yung frame,wheelset, fork, brakes sa offroad. Wag muna isipin kung ano groupsets.

Opinyong poorman lang po.

"Good" na yang 10k bike...

Ikaw na naman?!
Links
Old 07-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Cross-country

If you intend to ride leisurely on asphalt, there should be no issues about using "entry level" components. They were designed just for that: short fun rides, no jumps or bumps to worry about. But going offroad is a different story. You'd be surprised how fast a pulley or bottom bracket can suddenly disintegrate. Its not a good idea getting stuck in the middle of nowhere with a whacked out drivetrain. That happened to me in the early days. Alay lakad ang nangyare hehe. Better spend more on quality.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Global Moderator

an exploratory purchase with potential for addiciton ...hmmmm very familiar

may I suggest sourcing these items either from the Buy and Sell section of this forum AND/OR reputable bikeshops:

GT Avalanche or Vision Pursuit frame
Shimano Alivio 9 speed groupset <--this is very reliable already and much cheaper than Deores
Suntour XCR fork 100mm

cant go wrong with these

ISOLINK Suspension for that Constant Sweet Spot
www.isolinksuspension.com
Old 07-02-2009, 12:52 PM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabolt View Post
an exploratory purchase with potential for addiciton ...hmmmm very familiar

may I suggest sourcing these items either from the Buy and Sell section of this forum AND/OR reputable bikeshops:

GT Avalanche or Vision Pursuit frame
Shimano Alivio 9 speed groupset <--this is very reliable already and much cheaper than Deores
Suntour XCR fork 100mm

cant go wrong with these
Sir Alphabolt Shimano Alivio 8 speed groupset, not 9 speed.

@ XXX, Try to assemble a bike one by one. start from a scratch.

FRAME: GT AVA 3.0 or VISION 09 4.5k
Groupset: Shimano Alivio 8 speed 7.5k
Rims: Mavic x223 or Alex rims 1k-1.5k
Tires: IRC Mythos XC II Folding 2.1 - 650 each
Fork: Suntour XCR w/ LO = 3k
Nipples: Sars 72pcs red or blue for added bling = 200
Spokes: Aluminum 72pcs generic = 280
Handlebar = FSA 1k
Stem = FSA 1k
Saddle = wtb oem = 700
Seatpost = FSA = 2k

You can't say that riding your bike would be just a temporary until you discover the fun and excitement of it. With this specs at least you have a better bike to Ride, just don't forget to buy a safety gears before hitting the trail/road.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:55 PM

sir mas maganda po kung bibili kayo buo na. it will only cost you 10K or less. gagamitin nalang. now if magustuhan nyo ang sport ng pagbibike(tyak magugustuhan nyo ang sarap!!!), saka na po kayo magupgrade ng magagandang parts, para di sayang ang pera kung di nyo magustuhan. syempre pag nagupgrade, mapapagastos ng medyo kalakihan. the good thing naman about sa upgrading is for your own safety. mas magandang parts mas matibay.

last na po. always check your bike before you ride it and keep it clean always, kahit di ganun ka ganda ang bike kung lagi naman itong malinis at maayos, good impression ito sa rider and his bike.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Bike Commuter

I just bought a new bike sa isang reputable LBS sa greenhills shopping center, since I'm a newbie and don't really know that much sa MTB, I told them what I need and what budget I have.

So they showed me a built bike na i fell in love kaagad medyo mataas ng konti sa budget ng konting konti lang then nagbigay pa ng discount. Sa isip isip ko kung mag aasemble ako baka mas mahal pa aabutin. So decided na bilhin ko na muna and pwede naman mag upgrade in the future. At sa isang reputable LBS medyo mas feel mo na hindi fake yung mga items.

And sir if not sure ka na magtatagal ka sa sport na ito puwede mo namang gamitin sa ibang paraan ang bike na nabili mo, like gawin mong commuter, leisure ride sa village, pamalengke or you could try na maghikayat ng mga kapitbahay na bumili din, then may makakasama ka na na mag eenjoy sa biking.

Links