PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community
Go Back   PinoyMTBiker Community - Philippine Mountain Bike Community > Technical Help & Information > All about Frame and Suspensions

Notices

All about Frame and Suspensions Discuss tech help/info for: Hardtail and Full Suspension Frame
Fork, Shocks, Saddle Shocks.

Bike Town Cyclery King's Bicycle Store Gran Trail Cycles Global Craze Bikes Newton Multi Sales Decimal Cycle Supply Cycle Art Marketing Deuter backpack, hydration bags & accessories - Dynamic Sports Corp. Comet Cycle Center - SFDM, QC Mars Kingdom Cycle Trading Bike101 Bikeshop Ryder / Maxxis / Infinity Italia / Shimano HitchPro Philippines Red Bike Zone

Old 07-09-2008, 02:40 PM

Smile Fork upgrade

Need inputs.

Im using suntour XCR . Im planning to upgrade my fork. any recommendation?

I'm thinkin Marzocchi MZ SUPERCOMP or a RS TORA.

Is it worth the upgrade?

Im into XC pla.

thanks
Links
Old 07-09-2008, 03:04 PM
All-Mountain

Default Re: Fork upgrade

get the tora 302 may u-turn pa.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Bike Commuter

Yes IMERB! Get the tora 302 (white)! (para hindi halatang newbie, just like me! hehehe)
I just got it a week ago @ KINGs w/ reasonable price of 7.5k...but i'm not sure if they still have other stock...i saw RS TORA 289 (black) yata ung nakadisplay dun, dont buy it, kc no lockout siya.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:29 PM
All-Mountain

i agree, between the two i'd go for the Tora as well. (the one with u-turn)

normally i'd go for marz but i suspect that the MZ SUPERCOMP is made by Suntour also so it wouldn't be worth it in your case since you're currently using a Suntour fork.

MELAMINE FREE SINCE 2004
Old 07-09-2008, 10:03 PM
All-Mountain

how long is the travel of RS tora? i think it is a good buy for 7.5k. suntour axon fork sa too expensive (2009 model) 12k but the later model is 7k-8k. go for RS!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:37 PM

Saw those tora's @ kings before.

Congrats bro sa new purchase. "Naunahan mo ko" hahaha
Old 07-09-2008, 11:59 PM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
how long is the travel of RS tora? i think it is a good buy for 7.5k. suntour axon fork sa too expensive (2009 model) 12k but the later model is 7k-8k. go for RS!

adjustable sir from 85 to 135mm.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:50 PM

try manitou, they have good light xc forks, r7's and blacks are good xc forks with RTWD and rebound adjust., just look for models with 30mm up stanchions para di flexi.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Bike Commuter

Default upgrading my fork

mga sir here i go again needing your precious advices..
hopefully i can upgrade my fork this march though i have a tight budget.
xc hardtail po set up ko and my budget is 6-8k max at 10k na siguro pag di nanaman ako makatulog sa pangangati:laugh1:..hehe

mga sir paadvise naman po ng good fork at that price.
i found suntour epicon @6.5k read the reviews at mukhang ok naman pero ano pa po kaya ang other options for me to know where to start my search..
TIA:):)
Old 02-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Downhiller

Default Re: upgrading may tinidor....

bro, try to find a good deal on a rockshox tora 318(air model)...sigurado, pasok sa budget mo. i've seen some 302 models(coil model) posted here na around 6-7k..nakuha ko kasi 318 ko 10k off from a built bike at an lbs here in vigan...
Old 02-14-2009, 06:11 PM
All-Mountain

Default Re: upgrading my tinidor....

What are you looking for in a fork?

If weight is important to you the lightest brand new fork I could find for about 11K is the Suntour Axon at 3.5lbs. The Epicon is about 4lbs and depending on actual model costs about 7K to 10K.

I think Tora is around 10K too while the RockShox Dart series is about the same price too, but they are quite heavy.

Manitou Absolute R7 is about 13K and weighs about 3.3lbs, though I've read in the US forums that there are durability issues with Manitou forks. Not sure if it's true though.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Bike Commuter

Default Re: upgrading my tinidor....

thanks for the input sir. medyo tight budget kasi hehe... :sigh:
Old 05-05-2009, 09:24 AM
All-Mountain

Default Fork Upgrade

Good Morning PMTB

I was planning to upgrade my fork. right now I'm using a fork with 80mm travel, what maybe the implications of using higher fork travel?? specially on descend, what are the effects on handling?? :thinking::thinking:

please share some of your experience on this..
I planning to get a suntour XCR..

more power PMTB!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Global Moderator

Default Re: Fork Upgrade

question is...what frame are you using and how much fork travel can it handle?

on descends, longer fork travel is best, handling well it will be better. problem is on flats and climbs, if your frame is designed to handle 80mm forks, it will wheelie on climbs. or on some cases, stress the headtube junction too much that it will break.

maybe a 100mm fork is safe. going beyond that...it's your risk.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:20 AM
All-Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthrax76 View Post
question is...what frame are you using and how much fork travel can it handle?

on descends, longer fork travel is best, handling well it will be better. problem is on flats and climbs, if your frame is designed to handle 80mm forks, it will wheelie on climbs. or on some cases, stress the headtube junction too much that it will break.

maybe a 100mm fork is safe. going beyond that...it's your risk.
brad, buti may nag-open... may reference na ko sa future...
brad, gamit ko GT Ava 3.0... 100 mm ang travel ng fork na nakakabit...

maintain ko na ba yung 100 mm fork travel?? pareho kami ng budget malamang, XCR fork din... hehe

salamat!

Last edited by sylar; 05-05-2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: wrong spelling
Links
Old 05-05-2009, 10:29 AM
All-Mountain

Bro - You did not mention the frame you are currently using. This is critical as frame geometry dictates the maximum fork travel. I assume that the stock fork (80mm) on your bike is based on manufacturer's recommendation so here are some points to consider when increasing the travel.

1) Any increase in fork travel will impact stress on headset tube. If excessive it could break at the meeting point of downtube and headtube area.

2) An increase on fork travel will increase your headset angle. A steep angle (caused by increase in travel) will makes the handling more responsive and assist you going downhill. The downhill bike has steeper headset angle.

3) Some mentioned that they feel some changes also on bike handling when climbing steep ascent as you need to alter your body weight distribution to compensate for slacker head angle. Others that are using fork with travel adjust even lower the travel when going uphill. So you will be penalized on your climb. Yes, you cant get the best of both worlds.

4) What others have done on longer travel fork than what geometry requires is to increase the sag. This makes the ride lower and consequently makes the ride plushier.

So 1st thing 1st - knows what your bike geometry requires for fork travel. You may want to upgrade your fork too without increasing the travel. :)

Hope this helps.

No Ride No Fun, Know Ride Know Fun
Old 05-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Cross-country

adrenalin,

thanks for the input.

i'm also planning to upgrade my jamis x3 , replacing my rst gila to epicon rld or rst titan , i would like to know if i will be having problems if i changed my current fork :

RST Gila T9, coil spring with MCU, external preload adjustor, 80mm travel

im using a size 19"

show this in jamis website the geometry of size 19"

Fork rake - 1.77/45
BB Height - 11.69/297
Headtube - 5.12-130
standover - 29.29/744
center of BB to top of TT - 15.47/393
effective TT lenght - 22.56/573
HT angle - 71"
ST angle - 73.5"
Chainstay - 16.73/425
whellbase - 41.69/1059

hope you can help me on this .

tia ;)
Old 05-05-2009, 09:05 PM
All-Mountain

my frame is jamis cross country, size 15.5, I should get the ones with lock out for flat/climbs, maybe I'll go find a fork with just 100mm travel..less stress on headset tube...
thanks for the inputs everyone...more power PMTB! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

eto po yung specs nung bike ko...hehe di ko alam gamitin eh..

SIZE 15.5”
CENTER of BB to TOP of TT 14.33/364
EFFECTIVE TT LENGTH 21.65/550
HEAD TUBE ANGLE 70.5˚
SEAT TUBE ANGLE 74˚
CHAINSTAY 16.73/425
WHEELBASE 41.06/1043
FORK RAKE 1.77/45
BB HEIGHT 11.69/297
HEADTUBE 4.33/110
STANDOVER 28.43/722
Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Freeride

DH bikes have slacker angles, not steeper ones, previous post has it reversed.

In general it's best to stick pretty close to the fork length that your bike was designed to use. Some variation is ok... for example, replacing an 80mm fork with a 100mm fork is close enough that the geometry distortion is going to be very minimal. Going to 120 would be pushing it.

I think there's also a misconception that going to a longer travel fork is necessarily an "upgrade". That's really not the case. To take an extreme example, if you went from a Fox F100 to a 120mm Suntour, that would be a downgrade, despite the added travel.

Usually your best best for a fork upgrade is a higher quality fork in the same travel range. Quality of travel is at least as important as quantity: a higher end 80mm fork will feel a lot better than a cheap 80mm fork.

If you can't afford a step up in quality it might be best to just stay with the gear you've got!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Cross-country

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayuhan View Post
DH bikes have slacker angles, not steeper ones, previous post has it reversed.

In general it's best to stick pretty close to the fork length that your bike was designed to use. Some variation is ok... for example, replacing an 80mm fork with a 100mm fork is close enough that the geometry distortion is going to be very minimal. Going to 120 would be pushing it.

I think there's also a misconception that going to a longer travel fork is necessarily an "upgrade". That's really not the case. To take an extreme example, if you went from a Fox F100 to a 120mm Suntour, that would be a downgrade, despite the added travel.

Usually your best best for a fork upgrade is a higher quality fork in the same travel range. Quality of travel is at least as important as quantity: a higher end 80mm fork will feel a lot better than a cheap 80mm fork.

If you can't afford a step up in quality it might be best to just stay with the gear you've got!

------

thanks for the inputs.... highly appreciated :thumbsup:

ciao
Links

Tags
fork travel